The Films of David Cronenberg

So I just finished listening to the History of Violence podcast and I realized that HOV was the first 21st century movie of Cronenberg's that I have seen. He has always been one of my favorite filmmakers since high school, yet somehow he slipped off my radar for the last 15 years.

What are your favorite Cronenberg films? I know I have a lot of catching up to do, but my favorite films of his are some of my all-time favorites. Here is my top 5:

1. Naked Lunch
2. The Fly
3. Dead Ringers
4. The Dead Zone
5. Shivers

Honorable mention to eXistenZ.

Comments

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    VIDEODROME!!!
    AntManBeetrippy[Deleted User]
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    While I grew up on Scanners and The Fly, I'd have to say A History of Violence is my fave (why I wanted to commission the cast on it)
  • The Fly, baby.  That's such a great movie.  It's one of the movies that introduced me to horror.
    hypergenesb
  • Dead Zone, The Fly and Videodrome are at the top for horror and just plain weirdness and disturbing. Scissors have never not been terrifying to me.

I cant explain why I like Cosmopolis. It was just such a different and weird movie. I didnt think I would like Robert Pattison but that movie has surprisingly stuck with me since 2012.
  • I think I'm going to watch Cosmopolis this weekend.

I recently watched The Fly for the first time in quite a few years. I was amazed at how the intense and frenetic the pace is. It really holds up after 30 years.
  • @ksa1001 I do like History of Violence but I saw the movie then I read the graphic novel its based on. I had to read it for a Fiction Into Film class I took in college and the graphic novel is better overall IMO. Its much darker and of course things are different and it has a different story for his brother.

Im really surprised Cronenburg didnt do somethings from the novel that were pretty violent, no pun intended
  • @AntManBee i havent seen The Fly in quite sometime but if I remember correctly, puking on an ankle(?) haunts me to this day
  • Quick sidebar if I may:

The 6th Episode of Rick and Morty on Adult Swim entitled: Rick Potion No. 9 has Cronenburg stuff in it. There is literally an alternate world where everybody is disfigured and "Cronenburged". So damn funny
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    @Jovial_Falcon I'll have to look that one up, thanks.
  • Yeah, that sounds hilarious.
This discussion has been closed.