909 - Adaptation

Who's excited for the return tonight!?!?!?

NOT THIS GUY!!!

But, I'm still going to watch it.  They've Lost-ified me.  I'm in until the end.  The first half was pretty good.  So, I'm measuredly excited.
Michelle

Comments

• Oh thank god someone actually made a thread, doing heroes work @DrKen
  • http://entertainmenttalk.org/itunes-feeds/

Itunes feeds for this show and more feeds :) 
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited February 11
    Ah crap! I’m in. God I’m so ashamed.

it does beat watching that stroke job the “Shamies”. How many winners are not gonna give speeches because they are boycotting it?
  • I tried to quit on this show but the whisperers brought me back in. Hopefully they don’t run their story into the ground like they did with the saviors. 
  • Is it just me or is AMC forcing people to buy their stupid premium package to watch online?

i used to be able to just go online and watch TWD. But now it’s giving me no option to watch without upgrading to premium “ad free”. 

Maybe they could have got away with this 6 years ago. But I’ll just head over to the Bay... ain’t paying AMC shit to watch a show online that I’m already paying for. 
  • Great episode for TWD.  The encounters with the Whisperers were well done.  It seems the show is taking a darker turn than the comics: Negan showed us how there isn't much outside the walls, reinforcing Aaron and Michonne's dialogue.  IIRC, the show made Lydia more deceptive than she is in the comics.  The show continues to move fast, burning through plot points.  I could have done without the Judith/Negan scenes, and Matt Lintz (Henry) needs some acting lessons.
  • I’m hate-watching.
    - Negan finds a perfectly good leather jacket in a store within walking distance of Alexandria? Wouldn’t all of that stuff have been scavenged years ago?
    - Dogs are just living in the store for years, looking pretty healthy, and then some shambling decayed walker is loosed on them and, from the soundtrack, the walker appears to own these dogs?
    - Lots or stuff laying around in the sanctuary that would have been scavenged.
    - Hidden(?) motorcycle runs, tires good, gas good, after how long?
    - Henry is the worst.
    - Eugene is so cringeworthy, I know it’s intentional, but still
    - The mourning of Jesus reminds me that it’s not good to separate key deaths from the reaction to key deaths by over 2mos of break. He died around Thanksgiving, and now we get the tears around February. Hard for me to feel the loss still.
    - Michonne leaving will be tough for what’s left of this show to absorb.

That said the whisperers are super-creepy and well-executed so far, and the quality of the show this season continues to be superior to what it had been even if it is benefitting-greatly from lowered expectations. The stuff they continue to get wrong for no discernible reason is background noise at this point and the show is back to being a bit fun to watch. 
    Pangs
  • LordBy said:

- Negan finds a perfectly good leather jacket in a store within walking distance of Alexandria? Wouldn’t all of that stuff have been scavenged years ago?
    That area may have been full of zombies until the Whisperers moved into the neighborhood and vacuumed them up.
    - Dogs are just living in the store for years, looking pretty healthy, and then some shambling decayed walker is loosed on them and, from the soundtrack, the walker appears to own these dogs?
    It was one dog at that point, running toward the door where the walker is pushed into the corridor. In a horror universe like this, the dog's death didn't seem unreasonable. It wasn't Dog, after all.
    - Lots or stuff laying around in the sanctuary that would have been scavenged.
    - Hidden(?) motorcycle runs, tires good, gas good, after how long?
    The Hilltop, etc. probably avoid the sanctuary because of bad associations and nearer places to raid. In TWD, vehicles, gas, tires, etc. don't go bad just sitting, but gas can run out.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited February 11
    Hatorian said:
    Is it just me or is AMC forcing people to buy their stupid premium package to watch online?

i used to be able to just go online and watch TWD. But now it’s giving me no option to watch without upgrading to premium “ad free”. 

Maybe they could have got away with this 6 years ago. But I’ll just head over to the Bay... ain’t paying AMC shit to watch a show online that I’m already paying for. 
    I guess the only reason you'd have to buy the package is if you *want* to watch ad-free.
    Otherwise, I just went to their website and I see that the mid-season premiere is available to watch for free without having to log in with your cable provider.  I clicked on it, hit the play button on the vid, & am watching now. If you don't mind a few ads here & there, you shouldn't have to buy anything.

Hatorian
    Line of the episode:  Judith, to Negan - "Language!  I'm a kid, asshole."
    Naugustinetonyp1222blue_sleeve
  • wow..half way through the episode, and I'm enjoying it! Dialogue seems waaaaay better this season. 
    Michelle
    I thought this was a pretty strong midseason opener.  It wasn't perfect, but this season overall has been really good.  I'm re-intrigued by Negan's storyline and the new 'big bad'. 
    jleav382rustywright4
  • I've really come around on Negan too. Dude seems solid now. 
  • edited February 15
    Michellelengmo
  • I agree, it was a solid midseason opener. Whisperers are creepy and formidable! The bridge scene and the final woods scene were great imo. So far the post Rick walking dead has been fantastic IMO. Daryl's finally back to being a great character and not just a wildcat. Personally, I wouldn't mind Michonne leaving and Daryl being frontrunner. I was worried there was morgalizing coming with the prisoner, but thankfully it was part of the interrogation.

LordBy said:
    I’m hate-watching.

I took it as the guy had been living there and probably protecting it for awhile with the dogs and his mannequin family, but took himself out recently.

Michelle
  • Daryl's finally back to being a great character and not just a wildcat. Personally, I wouldn't mind Michonne leaving and Daryl being frontrunner.
    I'm fine with him being a lead.  I'm a little worried that 'being a great judge of character' will just substitute for lazy writing as the writers can have Daryl act based on their (the writers') knowledge of what will happen on the show.  So Daryl figuring out someone is secretly a villain based on noticing their slip-ups, following them without being detected, etc. is replaced by...Daryl being a great judge of character.
    Michelle
  • I was totally on board with Jim and A.Ron giving up on TWD after last season. I was at my end too. The only reason I watched was to see the conclusion of the Rick story before finally quitting for good.

But is it just me, or has it been surprisingly good and wish we still had the podcast?
    blue_sleeve
  • tonyp1222 said:
    But is it just me, or has it been surprisingly good and wish we still had the podcast?
    They could guest on other podcasts while they think about covering it again.  Would be good to hear A.Ron on Sistah Speak The Walking Dead, for ex.
  • tonyp1222 said:
    I was totally on board with Jim and A.Ron giving up on TWD after last season. I was at my end too. The only reason I watched was to see the conclusion of the Rick story before finally quitting for good.

I beat that dead horse. Aron's on board but Jim is totally over it. Its understandable, I would've hated covering it for so long while it was shit. But now I'm really wanting Jim's take on this season cause its kinda redeemed itself imo. I mean I watched TWD Sunday night and waited to watch True Detective Monday. Also I've heard this year the cinematography has giving shoutouts to other classic zombie films like 28 days later, etc (not my wheelhouse), and would think Jim would appreciate that. For instance the cemetery fog scene from last episode. Lastly, it would be a hell of a lead up, business wise, for the guys going into the last season of GOT. I'm pretty sure TWD was the #2 podcast for downloads. 

Another beef and reason I'd LOVE the guys coming back is I listen to, I think Tony, on the Walking Dead Cast, and its okay but I HATE the 5 things format! I prefer the BM synopsis and discussion. 

lengmo said:
    Daryl's finally back to being a great character and not just a wildcat. Personally, I wouldn't mind Michonne leaving and Daryl being frontrunner.
    I'm fine with him being a lead.  I'm a little worried that 'being a great judge of character' will just substitute for lazy writing as the writers can have Daryl act based on their (the writers') knowledge of what will happen on the show.  So Daryl figuring out someone is secretly a villain based on noticing their slip-ups, following them without being detected, etc. is replaced by...Daryl being a great judge of character.
    This show hinges of the writers, I mean we've experienced the crap writing the past 3 or more seasons. Finally getting some good stuff now, and perfect timing with the Whisperers. I hope it continues bc man its right up there with True Detective in anticipation for me.
  • Michelle said:
    I thought this was a pretty strong midseason opener.  It wasn't perfect, but this season overall has been really good.  I'm re-intrigued by Negan's storyline and the new 'big bad'. 
    Agreed. But what is up with this Rosita plotline?! Now she's pregnant? Like, is her relationship with Gabriel brand new? Aside from all that nonsense, still excited to see where things go.
  • mtron32mtron32 San Diego
    Everything on this show is great right now with the exception of Judith.  I can't stand that character.  Little girl, who the hell are you pointing that gun at?  Why are you out alone at 10?  Why do you have that stupid hat on?     
    lengmoLandscraping
  • lengmo said:

It was one dog at that point, running toward the door where the walker is pushed into the corridor. In a horror universe like this, the dog's death didn't seem unreasonable. It wasn't Dog, after all.

That was probably just the same walker who took out the tiger a season ago.
    Maybe he was Conor McGregor before the zompacolypse

Pangs
  • That was probably just the same walker who took out the tiger a season ago.
    Maybe he was Conor McGregor before the zompacolypse
    I'm assuming the running dog collided with the zombie or got so close the zombie was able to easily get its hands on the dog; a running dog doesn't stop on a dime.  I also assume the zombie, while killing the dog, got pretty torn up by the dog at the same time.  Speculation would be dogs generally avoid getting near zombies because they smell bad, move like something sick, make angry noises, etc. so this dog has not fought a zombie before.

Curious to hear how people think the zombie/dog encounter should have gone.
  • I think that big pit bull would have taken that zombie apart. 
    mtron32Pangs
  • Hey everyone! 

We all have lots of thoughts and feelings about The Walking Dead so why not be part of a podcast! 

I run the walking dead uk podcast on entertainmenttalk.org and I want you to send me all your questions and thoughts! 

Simply email matthew@entertainmenttalk.org or click on our contact page! 

Here’s a link for last weeks podcast for 909! 

https://entertainmenttalk.org/the-walking-dead-uk-909-adaption-mid-season-premier/

Landscrapingawookiee
  • mtron32 said:
    Everything on this show is great right now with the exception of Judith.  I can't stand that character.  Little girl, who the hell are you pointing that gun at?  Why are you out alone at 10?  Why do you have that stupid hat on?     
    Completely agree. Not only is her dialogue unrealistic for a 10 y/o but she wouldn’t be able to handle that gun with any reasonable degree of proficiency.  The episode was decent but her character is jarring and takes me out of the story.