Justin Theroux's thoughts on Leftovers Finale

Saw this and thought it was interesting...

https://ew.com/tv/2019/02/11/justin-theroux-the-leftovers-series-finale/

“My theory is that she’s lying to me,” declared Theroux. “And she didn’t go to this other place, and she’s using that to try and get me to leave or to not be with her. It’s sort of implied, because our show, a lot of times when people would have monologues or say things, we’d flash back to those events. And in that monologue, there’s no flashback to the event. So I think it’s a defense mechanism. She’s like, I’m going to tell him this story and he’s gonna go, ‘You’re bats— crazy’ and he’s gonna leave. And he ends up saying, ‘I don’t care, you’re here, you’re the love of my life, and so I’m going to stay with you.'”
MichelleMurderbearJasNicdjcaudle01ChinaskiGrahamKela15

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    When I was hot off the episode, I thought she was telling the truth. Now that I have had time to sit with it and think about it more, I think she was lying.
    awookieeFlukes
  • edited February 11
    When I was hot off the episode, I thought she was telling the truth. Now that I have had time to sit with it and think about it more, I think she was lying.
    I had this same exact reaction.  Right after watching it I was like wow that's what really happened.  Then my eyes got opened to the thought that she's just selling you a big lie and after thinking about it a little bit, the lie makes way more sense.  
  • When I was hot off the episode, I thought she was telling the truth. Now that I have had time to sit with it and think about it more, I think she was lying.

That was my feelings at the time. I believed her then about a week later my brain stopped me doing whatever I was doing and shouted "Hey, I think Nora was lying!"
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Nora's arc is much more interesting if she *was* lying, IMO.
    I totally agree with all of you - I think she was lying to Kevin.
    CretanBull
  • Hmmmm.....I’m not sure. I think I need to rewatch the entire series   ;)
    djcaudle01MurderbearMichelle
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    When I told my wife and best friend I thought she was lying, they both said they hadn't even considered that and both assumed she was telling the truth.
    Murderbear
  • Hmmmm.....I’m not sure. I think I need to rewatch the entire series   ;)
      In that case we also need Jim and a Ron to do a re-watch podcast... with the new Theroux insights I think the universe demands it...
    hisdudeness915
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    When I told my wife and best friend I thought she was lying, they both said they hadn't even considered that and both assumed she was telling the truth.
    And here lies the beauty of the finale
    MurderbearCretanBull
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Honestly, same. I watched it and came on here and people started asking if she was lying and it wasn't even on the radar of being a possibility. I just took her for her word because she had pretty much always been very open and honest.

And I related it to the Kevin thing when he told her he was going to fix the Patty situation in his head. He asked her if he comes back, would she believe him. And I guess I thought they were turning the tables.
  • You’re all a bunch of MAGA preachin...red hat wearin...Trump supportin...women hatin...male lovin pigs!!

I FOR ONE #BELIEVEWOMEN and therefore #BELIEVENORA !!

SHAME ON YOU ALL...SHAME...SHAME...
    Murderbearhisdudeness915
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I always thought she was lying.

I'll take my internet points now, preferably in cash.
    CretanBull
  • I’m a die-hard Nora Truther.  Come at me.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited February 12
    Nothing ever gets said about this show that doesn't make me mad or sad or angry. Guess you did your job, fucking Leftovers. (The show's goal is to make you feel like the characters, right?)
    ChinaskiDoubleA_Ron
  • Man I'm getting old. I had to look up what I posted here after the finale to remember how I felt about it. I think this was pretty accurate: 
    ---------
    As far as the mystery: Nora say to the Nun, "... but don't sell that bullshit to me.", which the Nun replies, "I'm not trying to sell you anything, it's just a nicer story." 

I think that was the clear hint for me that what Nora told Kevin was about her journey, but not necessarily the one some of you may believe.
    ---------

Glad Kevin agrees with me! 
    CretanBullFlukes
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    I've been on team "Nora is lying" since the pod on the finale came out. The only thing that gives me a bit of pause, is that Lindelof talked about them possibly filming Nora actually going through to the alternate universe. They then decided to just make it ambiguous. She Lyin tho.