What is snow removal like in your community?

CoryCory New Scotland
I'm a little surprised snow clearing doesn't begin sooner.

Image may contain text

No photo description available

Comments

• CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited February 14
    My town hands out snowshoes and says "good luck!" :D

Just kidding...my town calls in the army.  Not kidding.
    Kate23
  • A few weeks ago we had an ice storm and no sander came by for two days. My street is on the top of two large hills. Good times.

Last night is snowed two inches and I was kept up all night by a plow coming by every hour.

So my answer is schizophrenic
    CoryMichelle
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    My town hands out snowshoes and says "good luck!" :D

Just kidding...my town calls in the army.  Not kidding.
    Yeah I've heard Toronto is pretty bad, considering the amount of times they need to deal with winter storms.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    no snow in my hood but it took me 3 hours to get home. mudslide city  :#
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Chinaski said:
    That's insane!  17 is beautiful, but not during winter!
    (I'm assuming that you take 17.)
    Chinaski
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    That's insane!  17 is beautiful, but not during winter!
    (I'm assuming that you take 17.)
    yup  :(
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Chinaski said:
    Whoa, is that a common occurrence?
    edited February 14
    Cory said:
    Chinaski said:
    Whoa, is that a common occurrence?
    yeah, when it pours, Highway 17 (my fun daily commute that connects Santa Cruz to San Jose)  turns into a cluster. 2 years ago it was  REALLY bad, so i'm hoping these next few days isn't worse or even as bad as that.

edit: :#
  • I posted this pic in another thread...I'd just finished shovelling my mum's driveway.  That's suburban Toronto, the roads are a little slushy, but not too bad.

• HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited February 14
    I just found out I live in the 4th snowiest major city in the world. Needless to say, they're very good at clearing that snow away. We got something like 40cm/16inches yesterday, and it wasn't really that big of a deal.
  • The town brines all the roads before a major storm. They used to salt, then switched to a sandy mix until some people squawked that it was unsightly in the spring.
    Afterward the town plows come out for the main roads, and I live in a lake community where some local guys plow everything.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Hunkulese said:
    I just found out I live in the 4th snowiest major city in the world. Needless to say, they're very good at clearing that snow away. We got something like 40cm/16inches yesterday, and it wasn't really that big of a deal.
    But do they start right away, or wait until the storm is nearly over?  That's what surprised me about here, is that they wait until it's over, or have 3-4 inches.  I always thought the plows were out right away.
  • My brother: "Can you get the mail?"

Me: "Nope."
    Kate23
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Cory said:
    Hunkulese said:
    But do they start right away, or wait until the storm is nearly over?  That's what surprised me about here, is that they wait until it's over, or have 3-4 inches.  I always thought the plows were out right away.
    It's probably not right away, but they're definitely out there before 3-4 inches.
  • Just had a rare long lasting snow event in my city in the PNW. Schools have been mostly out for two weeks and the whole city has been freaking out. Neighborhood streets remained largely impassable for most of this time. But the arterials have mainly been clear and plows and salting trucks  running around the clock.   Was about the best response and maintenance we can hope for out here.  They were out salting roads between storms to keep ahead of it. 

In the Midwest where I grew up snow  was more common and aside from extreme snowstorms, I remember road crews being on top of it. The plows would wait for some buildup but salting happened before that. And people were more used to driving in it and had snow shovels and salt on hand. I was caught off guard and am definitely buying a  snow shovel ASAP and when they are back in stock. Even if I only use it once every ten years.  I never want to clear my driveway with a garden shovel again!
    CeciliaM
  • Just had a rare long lasting snow event in my city in the PNW. Schools have been mostly out for two weeks and the whole city has been freaking out. Neighborhood streets remained largely impassable for most of this time. But the arterials have mainly been clear and plows and salting trucks  running around the clock.   Was about the best response and maintenance we can hope for out here.  They were out salting roads between storms to keep ahead of it. 

In the Midwest where I grew up snow  was more common and aside from extreme snowstorms, I remember road crews being on top of it. The plows would wait for some buildup but salting happened before that. And people were more used to driving in it and had snow shovels and salt on hand. I was caught off guard and am definitely buying a  snow shovel ASAP and when they are back in stock. Even if I only use it once every ten years.  I never want to clear my driveway with a garden shovel again!
    Same. In fact i still have a little snow in my yard.

I used a bow rake on the snow in my driveway daily during that storm. Surprisingly effective. 
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited March 12
    I was up in the mountains over the weekend, this is what they were doing to clear out snow from avalanches on the road.

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/avalanche-ruptures-natural-gas-line-i-70-closed-between-frisco-and-vail/

CeciliaM