The Big One— Facinating New Podcast

Most relevant for Californians, but it’s facinating for anyone really.

It’s a realistic look at the impending 100 year earthquake that’s overdue to hit CA. It talks about prepping, the science behind it, what it would be like to have to walk a long distance in a natural disaster ravaged area, economic impact.

It as scary as a Stephen King novel and super informative!
MichellemylifeaskirkChinaskiTravisNoelJoshuaHeterElisaFreddy

Comments

• This looks sufficiently interesting and worrisome! Downloaded them all immediately.

Makes me think of The Stand where they walk through the tunnel over cars and dead bodies sometime after the plague.
    gguenot
  • This looks sufficiently interesting and worrisome! Downloaded them all immediately.

Makes me think of The Stand where they walk through the tunnel over cars and dead bodies sometime after the plague.
    When they’re painting a picture of what you’d be experiencing in the aftermath I was literally thinking of the Stand
    mylifeaskirk
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    gguenot said:
    Most relevant for Californians, but it’s facinating for anyone really.

It’s a realistic look at the impending 100 year earthquake that’s overdue to hit CA. It talks about prepping, the science behind it, what it would be like to have to walk a long distance in a natural disaster ravaged area, economic impact.

It as scary as a Stephen King novel and super informative!
    well thanks alot. you just gave me an anxiety stomach ache and made me look like @mylifeaskirk profile pic.
    gguenotmylifeaskirkDeeMichelleNoel
  • definitely going to check this out. I hope it never happens but i definitely have always had a fascination for disaster/apocalyptic media. 
    gguenot
  • gguenot said:
    This looks sufficiently interesting and worrisome! Downloaded them all immediately.

When they’re painting a picture of what you’d be experiencing in the aftermath I was literally thinking of the Stand
    Well then I guess I need to get a couple of motorcycles for me and the wife so we can get around easier.
    gguenot
  • I live on the New Madrid Fault, similarly thought to be overdue for a shake, and have already been through one disaster (front row seat for 9/11).  My biggest fear is that the NM seismic zone goes while I am living here.  Think I might skip this podcast.  Or listen, and become a prepper.  One or the other...
    gguenot
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited February 20
    Cali friends - if anyone is interested, this is a great little site to monitor recent earthquakes throughout the state.  You can zoom in to see more logistically applicable data for you, or zoom out to see an overview.  

https://earthquaketrack.com/p/united-states/california/recent

A couple of weeks ago we went through a period of about a week where we were having swarms of small quakes daily throughout our county.  Some people were nervous, but those same people don't realize that all of those little earthquakes relieve the pressure on the faults.  You *want* a lot of small shakers rather than having none, and then getting one giant catastrophic earthquake.
    gguenot
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Is this essentially the same thing as the potential Yellowstone catastrophe, or does the West Coast sit under multiple swords of damocles? Because unlike asteroids where we potentially can do something about it with advance warning, I don't know what you do about something that spews 2500 Mt. St. Helens into the atmosphere.
    gguenotrhcoop
  • Because unlike asteroids where we potentially can do something about it with advance warning
    Ok, Bruce Willis.

Chinaskiletrbuck2006MichelleElisanstinson
  • lol are we sure this isn't an elaborate marketing scheme for the company that keeps advertising in the podcast - "Preppi - California Made Emergency Preparedness Kits"

ElisaHatorianrhcoop
  • Is this essentially the same thing as the potential Yellowstone catastrophe, or does the West Coast sit under multiple swords of damocles? Because unlike asteroids where we potentially can do something about it with advance warning, I don't know what you do about something that spews 2500 Mt. St. Helens into the atmosphere.
    Guessing our population and economy size is a pretty large multiplier on the negative impact. As far as I understand, in terms of power, we have a theoretical ceiling on the power of quake that's lower than the Pacific Northwest (shearing vs subduction if I remember correctly). But if LA goes off the grid it takes down tens of millions of people and things like the long beach port.
  • MrX said:
    lol are we sure this isn't an elaborate marketing scheme for the company that keeps advertising in the podcast - "Preppi - California Made Emergency Preparedness Kits"

Oh it totally is lol. Still good info
  • mtron32mtron32 San Diego
    Well shit, I guess I may as well take a listen, as a native Chicagoan, I'll never get used to the Earth shaking
    Hatorian
  • Just subscribed, and will definitely be listening!
  • This New Yorker piece is a similar analysis for the Pacific Northwest.  
  • its definitely a marketing piece for whatever that distater supply company is. but its still good. Living in Illinois I was always afraid of Tornadoes. thats about all we had in terms of disasters. 

I have 2 interesting stories about tornadoes. 

1. my town was hit by a tornado. but it was like an act of god. it was a town of 10K people back then and we lived in the typical packed suburb of house to house. before the warnings went off people down the street from our house noticed a tornado forming in the sky above one of our neighbors houses and warned them. the tornado literally spawned, went straight down and destroyed only that house then dissipated as fast as it came. it was crazy. in this packed suburb, only one house was destroyed. we had parts of their house in our yard like 5 football fields away. luckily no one died.  

2. We had this insurance sales lady over at our house one day and it started storming. we only had a crawl space, no basement. And this lady was on the big side and couldn't fit in our crawl space. so the sirens start going off and she freaks out and literally starts running down the street screaming trying to find a house that she can go to. it ended up that no tornado spawned. in sort of a demented way it was sort of funny watching this lady freak out and starting running down our street screaming..luckily once again no one died. 
    mylifeaskirk
  • Is this essentially the same thing as the potential Yellowstone catastrophe, or does the West Coast sit under multiple swords of damocles? Because unlike asteroids where we potentially can do something about it with advance warning, I don't know what you do about something that spews 2500 Mt. St. Helens into the atmosphere.
    I don’t think it would compare to the Super volcano at Yellowstone. From what I’ve read and watched half of the US would be severely impacted by a Yellowstone eruption with the rest of the world suffering bad from the fallout. Yellowstone would kill the entire food belt of the US so not only would millions die from the initial eruption but millions more would die from starvation and an almost omplete collapse of the US economy. 

The big big one would be devasting to California but most of the world would live on as normal. Yellowstone would be felt across the world. 
    gguenot
  • my video for work that I did about 10 years ago showing what would happen if the 2001 earthquake we had in Seattle was a bit longer/stronger. 

That double decker viaduct through downtown finally closed forever last week and is in the process of being demo'd. Same highway design as the one that pancaked people in the SanFran EQ from a few decades ago:

Kate23
  • redlancer said:
    my video for work that I did about 10 years ago showing what would happen if the 2001 earthquake we had in Seattle was a bit longer/stronger. 

That double decker viaduct through downtown finally closed forever last week and is in the process of being demo'd. Same highway design as the one that pancaked people in the SanFran EQ from a few decades ago:

That’s horrifying. Nice video
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Earthquakes, volcanos, tornadoes is the planet putting on the gauntlet and snapping its fingers. 
    gguenot