Star Trek Aliens questions

CoryCory New Scotland
Why are Vulcans so strong?  Is it their mediation and lifestyle?  If so does that mean Spock is every bit as strong as a full Vulcan?  Michael Burham as well?

Do Romulans possess the same strength as their Vulcan cousins?

Which reminds me; there was an episode of Star Trek: Enterprise were they came across a ship of Vulcans who had abandoned the teachings of Surak... wouldn't that basically make them Romulans?

Are Klingons stronger than humans?  Are they truly great warriors?  How many times have we seen humans take out Klingons (often with that karate chop to the back of the neck, or two handed punch thing)?

In the TNG episode "The Survivors";

The Enterprise responds to a distress call from Rana IV, a Federation colony that is under attack from an unknown alien ship. When they arrive, they find the entire surface of the planet destroyed, save for a single house and two occupants.

Is whatever species Kevin Uxbridge supposed to be, also supposed to be on power level akin to the Q?

What about that big face in space (perhaps in a Nebula?) they come across in one episode, is he also on that type of power level?

Comments

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Wow that's a lot of questions! Last one first: There have been a lot of beings on Trek throughout the years with god-like powers. Gary Mitchell almost became a god when the Enterprise made contact with the edge of the galaxy. Trelane from "The Squire of Gothos" had very similar powers to Q and Kevin Uxbridge. Oh and they also met "God" at the center of the galaxy. (Of course it wasn't God; Kirk sussed that out with the unforgettable line "What does God need with a starship?") There's not really a power ranking somewhere that's canon but I'd say the Q are the most powerful of all and everyone else is less so.

What you have to remember about the strength thing is that main characters always get buffs to damage dealt and shields, so if there's a Klingon in Kirk's way the Klingon is going down. I think that being a great warrior is important to Klingons and they probably have a lot of great warriors but in terms of the Empire's power there's always been a balance between the Klingons, the Romulans, and the Federation, and all three of those had to join forces to fight the Dominion invasion. Also the Klingons' military overspending wrecked their economy and destroyed one of their moons, so there's that.

I'm not sure why Vulcans are much stronger than humans except maybe it got the writers out of a jam back in the 60s and they had to run with it. It doesn't make a lot of sense when you think about it. I'm sure that in-universe it's biological rather than spiritual/psychological but that's just an assumption.

I don't think Michael has Vulcan strength but I'm pretty sure that Romulans do. 

"a ship of Vulcans who had abandoned the teachings of Surak... wouldn't that basically make them Romulans?"

Biologically close but not identical--the two races lived separately on different planets for thousands of years. 

• I think most of the time the various species abilities fall under 'because plot'  :)

CoryFrakkin T