The Galactic Empire VS The Borg | Star Wars VS Star Trek | Who Would Win?

CoryCory New Scotland
Been on a bit of a Star Trek kick lately and watched a couple of these type of vids.  Too bad this ends in kind of a copout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Msx_Twy8BU

Comments

• Cool vid but the guy seems to just want to sell why the Borg would win, instead of how the fight would pan out. Unless I missed, it no mention of the Force or the Emporer? 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I thought there were a couple references to The Force... no maybe that was the vid of The Empire invading the Federation.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Empire all day. Machines are no match for the power of the force. End. Of. Story.

Now, that being said, it would be interesting to see the best Borg writers come up with how The Borg would be affected if they assimilated a Jedi/Sith.
    Landscrapingrhcoop
  • Epilogue: Q!
  • It would be the epic battle of Cube vs Sphere!  I haven't watched Star Trek or even Star Wars in a while but I like this thought experiment.  The force would be a factor for sure but I am guessing the borg probably didn’t leave a weakness in their cube ship that a wily rebel could fly in and take the whole thing out with one shot.  Prep for assimilation.
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    It would be the epic battle of Cube vs Sphere!  I haven't watched Star Trek or even Star Wars in a while but I like this thought experiment.  The force would be a factor for sure but I am guessing the borg probably didn’t leave a weakness in their cube ship that a wily rebel could fly in and take the whole thing out with one shot.  Prep for assimilation.
    I think it would be pretty quick.  You could photoshop the Borg sphere in for Alderaan and you're done.   
    russkelly
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I spent literally years of my life arguing about this in alt.starwars.vs.startrek. Long story short, it seems unreasonable to suggest that any race that takes appreciable amounts of time to traverse their own galaxy is going to find it tough sledding going against a true galactic empire that can cross their galaxy in a day or two's time. And that's just logistics. When you start adding up the actual material size of the empire, even assuming that the average federation starship is as powerful as your average imperial starship, the empire just has so many more. 

I think the Empire would probably take the Borg or species 8472 seriously as a threat, because of their firepower, resilience and ability to turn your own troops and technology against you. But they would prevail without breaking too much of a sweat due to superior logistics, numbers, and moral flexibility to handle threats. But most alpha quadrant types in the Federation or their chief rivals would be get ran out of the galaxy far, far away. 
    rhcoopAlkaid13Landscrapingcalebthrower
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited February 20
    Counterpoint: they got clowned on multiple times by a backwater farmboy and some teddy bears. Also their leader is an evil wizard in a bath robe. The Empire would probably still win anyways, but still not a great look for the most feared force in the known universe. 
  • edited February 20
    Alkaid13 said:
    Counterpoint: they got clowned on multiple times by a backwater farmboy and some teddy bears. Also their leader is an evil wizard in a bath robe. The Empire would probably still win anyways, but still not a great look for the most feared force in the known universe. 

The Empire only got clowned once by the farmboy and once by the teddy bears. They've basically been running shop for awhile. 
  • If you want to quantify it in a fun way, I've always been intrigued by the Kardashev scale

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

Star Trek is likely closer to a Type II civilization (with Borg probably being on the upper end of that) with the Star Wars universe being closer to a type III. 

A_Ron_Hubbard
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    edited February 21
    As much fun as these discussions are, the two universes aren't at all comparable. SW universe is mythological, of indeterminate size, location, or age, and has literal magic. ST universe takes place in our galaxy, in our future, and is a rational universe (no magic.) To me it's like comparing Freddy Krueger with Vincent Vega; they're both murderers but so different from each other that a comparison is useless. 
    Freddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Frakkin T said:
    As much fun as these discussions are, the two universes aren't at all comparable. SW universe is mythological, of indeterminate size, location, or age, and has literal magic. ST universe takes place in our galaxy, in our future, and is a rational universe (no magic.) To me it's like comparing Freddy Krueger with Vincent Vega; they're both murderers but so different from each other that a comparison is useless. 

asmallcatA_Ron_HubbardrusskellyFrakkin T
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Alkaid13 said:
    Would it surprise you to find out that I have counters to the ewok problem in conversation trees 16 nodes deep?
    LandscrapingFreddymajjam0770
  • Would it surprise you to find out that I have counters to the ewok problem in conversation trees 16 nodes deep?

Surprises me it's only 16 deep....   :)

A_Ron_Hubbard
  • I have a few friends in the 501st. That armor couldn’t even stop a bullet let alone blasters. It’s completely plausible a small contingent of troopers could be defeated by an army of Ewoks. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    There was another cool video that told a story of The Empire attacking and eventually trying to invade the Federation.  The worm hole changed from leading to the Gamma quadrant to leading to a galaxy far, far way.  I think the Federation warp engines wouldn't work there or something, but when The Empire came to the Milky Way Vader noticed The Force wasn't working for him.  The Prophets threatened to close the wormhole if the Empire didn't fuck off, and eventually the wormhole reverted to the Gamma quadrant.

Q appeared and claimed responsibly for the temporary change.
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    I think the Borg would eat through the empire like a hot knife through butter. The empire was defeated by a ragtag group of terrorists and a navy led by a fish man. I don't have reams of research into SW weaponry or nothing, but I don't think the empire is advanced enough to overcome the Borg's ability to adapt it's sheilding. I don't think Darth Vader can force choke the entire Borg race. He doesn't have that power. If he did, he wouldn't be rooting around the galaxy for would be challengers to his authority. He'd just choke them out.
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    russkelly said:
    I think the Borg would eat through the empire like a hot knife through butter. The empire was defeated by a ragtag group of terrorists and a navy led by a fish man. I don't have reams of research into SW weaponry or nothing, but I don't think the empire is advanced enough to overcome the Borg's ability to adapt it's sheilding. I don't think Darth Vader can force choke the entire Borg race. He doesn't have that power. If he did, he wouldn't be rooting around the galaxy for would be challengers to his authority. He'd just choke them out.
    If the relatively weak Federation could fend off the Borg, there is zero chance the Borg would survive the Empire.  

That's not even bringing up all the differences in how superior the Empire's tech is to tech in the Trek world.  I've heard A. Ron rant on that in the old Blue Yonder days and it's pretty convincing.

The empire could sick a lot of old left over Clone War battle droids on the borg and it would probably wipe them out. 

russkelly