Alex Garland's Ex Machina

Given the Bald Move love for Garland's Annihilation, I'd love to see them go back and review Ex Machina since it doesn't look like they caught it first time around. I know commissions are no longer a thing, but I thought I'd throw this movie out as something for them to consider when there is no first run movie. I imagine it would lead to some great discussion.

Jim's opinion of how the AI depicted compares to how his base code was written would be interesting to say the least <span>:smiley:</span>
groovydooleyBloodyTacobennytube

Comments

• Ex Machina may be my pick for best science fiction movie of the decade.
    CretanBullMurderbear
  • Ex Machina has one of the hallmarks of what makes a movie great (to me anyway!)....I really like it as I was watching it, but in the days and even weeks after watching it, I liked it even more.  The longer I had to digest some of the ideas, concepts, how they presented things etc my opinion of the movie - which was already high to begin with - grew.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Yes, Ex Machina is fantastic! It's a long shot to happen but I would love to hear them talk about it. It's right up their alley.
  • Agree with all of the above. Its been years since I studied AI and theory of mind in college, but I thought the movie did a fantastic job of communicating really complex ideas from the field well. Didn't really dumb anything down and still managed to do justice to some critical ideas and tell a pretty tight dramatic story too.  It was clear watching it that Garland did his homework and after seeing the special features it turns out he did. He even shows enough humility to know he's barely scratched the surface.

I won't say its perfect, but it's gotten better every time I've watched it and it's one of my favorite movies to watch with someone for the first time.  
    Elisa
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    It’s so good and right up the guys’ alley
  • IIRC I had problems with the way the main character behaved. I think it was established that he was desperate for a girlfriend, but still.
  • I would really enjoy listening to the guys take on this movie.  I went into it knowing nothing about it and what it was even about and I thought it was a damn good movie.  I feel like this is another movie Jim and A Ron would sing high praise for just like they did Arrival and Annihilation.