307 - The Final Country

Directed by Daniel Sackheim
Written by Nic Pizzolatto
A_Ron_HubbardCoryblue_sleeve

Comments

• “Guess what’s running through my mind right now?!

Didn’t know whether to cringe or laugh out loud...

...also loved the way they tied in season 1...gives me hope for a crossover episode...err...season?
    blue_sleeve
  • edited February 18
    Does Roland at his house have the same fancy rocks glasses that @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard procured recently?
  • Great episode but did anyone else feel like the 4th timeline (Wayne dropping off Becca at college) they introduced felt random/out of place?
    JoshuaHetersarahtatugatelephoneofmadnessPangsmac.maguire
  • Great episode but did anyone else feel like the 4th timeline (Wayne dropping off Becca at college) they introduced felt random/out of place?
    Not sure but to that point, Wayne and Becca were inside a 2000’s model F150, then when it changed to 1990 and Wayne was at the lookout tower, he was still inside his 2000’s model F150!! But when the view changed to him getting out of the truck, it was now a jeep...

Not sure what to make of any of this except for maybe to use settings to maybe show us how his mind is mixing places, people and events? It’s all very Lynchian and even a little of “The Queen” episode from King’s Castle Rock series
    Kate23Pangs
    Not sure but to that point, Wayne and Becca were inside a 2000’s model F150, then when it changed to 1990 and Wayne was at the lookout tower, he was still inside his 2000’s model F150!! But when the view changed to him getting out of the truck, it was now a jeep...

Not sure what to make of any of this except for maybe to use settings to maybe show us how his mind is mixing places, people and events? It’s all very Lynchian and even a little of “The Queen” episode from King’s Castle Rock series
    Comment follow up....

After thinking on it, the plot device/method that was used in Castle Rock’s “The Queen” would have been absolutely amazing if done thoughtfully in this episode...not taking anything away, this season is rivaling the Leftovers season 1 and 3 for me! Not 2, Leftovers season 2 is always gonna stand alone as the greatest season ever, IMHO lol
  • The old makeup job they've done on Stephen Dorff in the 2015 timeline makes him look like he has a snout (and his receding hairline wig isn't great, either).  The makeup on Mahershala Ali is impeccable, but I keep expecting Dorff to start snorting.  It's just a bummer because they're crushing it so hard with their acting, and it takes me right out of the scene.
    mylifeaskirktelephoneofmadness
  • The old makeup job they've done on Stephen Dorff in the 2015 timeline makes him look like he has a snout (and his receding hairline wig isn't great, either).  The makeup on Mahershala Ali is impeccable, but I keep expecting Dorff to start snorting.  It's just a bummer because they're crushing it so hard with their acting, and it takes me right out of the scene.
    I agree - just not on the same level at all as Ali's.
  • They've done it well so far, but I think after this season I'm good on any more shows using multiple timelines for a while.
    PangsBroRad33telephoneofmadness
  • It can’t be a coincidence Julie was calling herself Mary July and now we find the one eyed man is named Mr. June. Ms. July seems like a cute nickname you’d give yourself based on “Mr. June”. I wonder if June helped her escape eventually and tried to let her live a normal life; maybe Julie viewed June as her father, which is why she made that phone call when her real dad was on the screen. It’s a bit confusing to me why Julie knows/remembers her real name and doesn’t turn herself in.
    sarahtatugaMurderbearblue_sleeveUnderwoodbennytubePeggyBtelephoneofmadnessrustywright4
  • I'm curious as to whether or not the 2015 scene where Roland sees the car lurking outside Wayne's house is real.  It seems real (like when Roland takes a shot of the plates), but then everything falls away, and Wayne's mind wanders to the night they killed Harris.  I think that's probably a fairly realistic depiction of what goes on in the mind of someone with dementia or Alzheimer's, but then it made me question whether the beginning of the scene happened in reality. 

Also, why do tv shows and movies always put surveillance cars like right out front of the place being surveilled, but just 40 feet down the road?  Is that just laziness, or are we supposed to intuit that it's more of an intimidation tactic than an undercover surveillance?  Shouldn't you be spying on someone from at least a block or two away?
    telephoneofmadness
    I think they must have dropped that in just to show us what Wayne's adult daughter looked like, so they can do a big reveal involving her in the next episode.
  • edited February 18
    Great episode but did anyone else feel like the 4th timeline (Wayne dropping off Becca at college) they introduced felt random/out of place?
    I think they must have dropped that in just to show us what Wayne's adult daughter looked like, so they can do a big reveal involving her in the next episode.
    It also gives an additional point in time when their relationship was good and/or existed.  My main thought from that clip is that you can't really tell the state of Waynes marriage or if Amelia is alive.  I like that they aren't just gonna leave that plot point hang the whole season.
    sarahtatuga
  • I wonder if Wayne really has dementia, or if it's brain damage from being beaten up by Hoyt's MIBs.

When Hoyt was outside threatening Wayne, my reaction was "Hmmm", considering that wildman Woodward was intimidated by Wayne's skills.
  • One more thought about Becca...earlier in the season Wayne’s son or daughter-in-law mentions that Becca is away because she doesn’t like it here...but her attitude at not wanting to be dropped off at school and obviously being a “daddy’s girl” seems to conflict with what we heard about why she isn’t around 
  • Place your bets... Rust Cohle and/or Martin Hart are going to show up in the finale. (And I'm totally on-board with it!) That reveal/tie-in by the documentarian lady about the spirals and the S1 detectives was so awesome, and for me, unexpected. This season is such a banger!! Cannot wait for next week!
    Hatorian
  • It also gives an additional point in time when their relationship was good and/or existed.  My main thought from that clip is that you can't really tell the state of Waynes marriage or if Amelia is alive.  I like that they aren't just gonna leave that plot point hang the whole season.
    Amelia must be dead at this point; I can't imagine her not being there for the college drop-off. 
    groovydooleytelephoneofmadness
  • I guess Season 4 is to be set in Nebraska.
  • Can someone come up with a memory device that will help @A_Ron_Hubbard remember that the first name is Harris and the last name is James??
    groovydooley
  • tom_g said:
    Can someone come up with a memory device that will help @A_Ron_Hubbard remember that the first name is Harris and the last name is James??
    Hand Job Harris James?
    gguenotcdrivegroovydooleyKate23
  • When the detectives 'interview' Harris James, there was only one possible ending.  No way you can keep your career after that sort of 'interview'. 
    sarahtatuga
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    tom_g said:
    Can someone come up with a memory device that will help @A_Ron_Hubbard remember that the first name is Harris and the last name is James??
    Hand Job Harris James?
    I'm partial to Hock Jowl myself, given the southern setting.
    mylifeaskirk
  • tom_g said:
    When the detectives 'interview' Harris James, there was only one possible ending.  No way you can keep your career after that sort of 'interview'. 
    Totally, and I thought he was going to die twice before Roland shot him in the barn.  First, when they struggled and fought to get him out of his car (there were three handguns in the mix, and I thought one would go off accidentally and kill him), and then second, by internal injuries from the beating.  That actor did a great job of sounding like he had a punctured lung.  But, Harris sure was a company man, because he had to know he was going to kill or be killed, and he didn't admit to shit.  That was probably the breaking point of Roland and Wayne's relationship--they murdered someone, got zero information out of him, and Hoyt knew all about it less than 24 hours later.  Not great, Bob!
    Dummy
  • Anyone else getting the feeling that the only way Hoyt could have know was if Roland had told
    him? And I wonder if they will explain Roland’s absent chicken scientist girlfriend...
    PangsKate23alexander.klassenBroRad33telephoneofmadnessJovial_Falcon
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Anyone else getting the feeling that the only way Hoyt could have know was if Roland had told
    him? And I wonder if they will explain Roland’s absent chicken scientist girlfriend...
    I was also wondering about that.  How could Hoyt possibly have known what happened?  If no one tipped him off, then maybe James had a two-way radio or some sort of device that Hoyt was able to listen in on when Roland and Wayne pulled him over and dragged him out of the car.   Or yeah, Roland blabbed to his girlfriend who is secretly working for Hoyt with this whole thing.
    telephoneofmadness
  • I was waiting for Wayne to say "Damn, Roland. You killed him before I could threaten him with prison rape!"
    groovydooley
  • edited February 18
    tom_g said:
    When the detectives 'interview' Harris James, there was only one possible ending.  No way you can keep your career after that sort of 'interview'. 
    Roland and Wayne are really really bad at their jobs.  This whole central mystery seems more a product of incompetence rather than complexity. Plus It seems incredible to me that 1990's Wayne could jump in an automobile with possibly the financier of this whole mess and go an additional 20 years without any information at all.

Bold prediction: This is gonna be some kind of Sixth Sense ending where 2015 Wayne has a moment of clarity amidst his deteriorating mental condition and realizes he was the one that buried this whole thing in the 1990 timeline.  Maybe Roland doesn't know the extent of the interaction with Hoyt? Maybe every time 1990's Wayne is nearly confronted with the image of 2015 Wayne its foreshadowing future regret he'll experience. 
  • tom_g said:
    Roland and Wayne are really really bad at their jobs.  This whole central mystery seems more a product of incompetence rather than complexity. Plus It seems incredible to me that 1990's Wayne could jump in an automobile with possibly the financier of this whole mess and go an additional 20 years without any information at all.

Bold prediction: This is gonna be some kind of Sixth Sense ending where 2015 Wayne has a moment of clarity amidst his deteriorating mental condition and realizes he was the one that buried this whole thing in the 1990 timeline.  Maybe Roland doesn't know the extent of the interaction with Hoyt? Maybe every time 1990's Wayne is nearly confronted with the image of 2015 Wayne its foreshadowing future regret he'll experience. 
    I've always thought the final reveal would be through Wayne having a moment of clarity - regaining memories.  I've thought it would be that he found in the 90s that Roland was dirty, and agreed to cover it up for some reason.
    groovydooley
  • edited February 18

I've always thought the final reveal would be through Wayne having a moment of clarity - regaining memories.  I've thought it would be that he found in the 90s that Roland was dirty, and agreed to cover it up for some reason.
    @tom_g what is your appraisal of Rolland's character after this episode?  More or less of a chance of him being dirty? outside of him being a terrible interrogator of course lol
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    That ever so slight look Roland gives Wayne after he says “I’m not simple.”  Stephen Dorf is KILLING it! Dude is country af.  I wonder if they pegged him for this after seeing him play a rural cop in Leatherface. Seems like that was a warm up for this.  Oh and I’ve learned he sings and writes country rock which now makes a lot of sense.  Mahershala has been amazing too but Dorff has been my favorite this season.  “Mothurrfuckurr give me 2 fingers of southern comfort”. 
    groovydooleyalexander.klassendjcaudle01telephoneofmadnessrustywright4