MLB 2019

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
Machado got his 300 mil from the Padres and Harper is next (Phillies I assume). Both are overrated imo, but power to them for getting paid.

Opening Day, March 28th! Lets.Go.Oakland!
Michelle

Comments

• NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Is there any chance Machado finishes his contract there? What’s crazy is that after their 10 years deals are over, they’re still gonna be a few years under 40. Oof.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited February 20
    Noel said:
    Is there any chance Machado finishes his contract there?
    i'm gonna say no. let's see if he even makes it to his 5th year option
    NoelDoubleA_Ron
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    I’m hoping my Red Sox can repeat but the lack of bullpen movement has me worried. Especially with Kimbrel still up in the air
  • I’m hoping my Red Sox can repeat but the lack of bullpen movement has me worried. Especially with Kimbrel still up in the air
    How do you feel about him? I'm an ATL fan who loved him and he's been filthy. But man... he's been a heart attack recently and I feel like he's only going to get worse.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Chinaski said:
    well then, sounds like you gotta get back in the game a rep the lousy Angels this year. join the MLB discussion. the AL West is well represented as @cdrive is an Astros fan <eye-roll>, @Noel is a Rangers <sigh> and @Michelle knows what's up <let's go Oakland!>.
    Go A's!

Chinaski
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I’m loving the lefty Wade Miley add for H-Tine. Also like the other lefty Brantley add in our outfield.  I’m worried about our catchers though. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    @Chinaski you might have already heard, but...

"He’s bringing the Bernie Lean back to Oakland. Welcome back Coco Crisp as a game analyst on A’s radio broadcasts for 33 games this season." - the Oakland A's Facebook page

TravisChinaski
  • Chinaski said:
    Noel said:
    Is there any chance Machado finishes his contract there?
    i'm gonna say no. let's see if he even makes it to his 5th year option
    Can’t wait until he gets traded for draft picks / prospects
    I’m hoping my Red Sox can repeat but the lack of bullpen movement has me worried. Especially with Kimbrel still up in the air
    How do you feel about him? I'm an ATL fan who loved him and he's been filthy. But man... he's been a heart attack recently and I feel like he's only going to get worse.
    Torn. He has shown that he's the best closer in baseball when he on top of his game but he just hasn't been recently. Last year, he missed most of spring training because his daughter had major surgery. That showed over the first month of the season. He rounded into shape about midyear and even made the All Star team. But he had some tough moments in the playoff that almost cost games. I guess I'd be ok if he wasn't resigned. I think there are a few guys on the roster that could fill his spot and honestly, it's not as difficult to find a good closer now as it used to be because everyone specializes. I do think he'll end up back in ATL if he's not in Boston
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 20
    (ctd. from the other thread) You know one thing that's a bummer? Liking the team that is the "off brand" L.A. team. I'm not a Clippers guy (I don't really have an NBA team), and I'm not an "active" Angels buy but damn. (my best Will Farrell voice) People are MEAN! The Angels are a fine team to root for (standard disclaimer, fuck the rally monkey, and the front office is brutal, and the LA of Anaheim thing is ridiculous) and the Dodgers can suck it!
  • I’m vehemently anti pitch clock. Thoughts?
    I’m vehemently anti pitch clock. Thoughts?
    There are a few proposed rule changes that I absolutely hate but the pitch clock isn't one of them. Baseball seems to be a sport that is dying off to younger generations and I think one major draw back is the pace. Baseball is an inherently slow game. Allowing pitchers to take 30+ seconds between pitches can be rough. I think forcing them to stay on the mound and throw is a net positive for the game (same with batter staying in the box and not adjusting their gloves after every pitch ). Some pitchers like, CC Sabathia, are just moving at a snails pace and it can be a bit much. I'll put a quick break down of a few of the proposed rule changes and my opinion if anyone cares:

Like:
    • Universal DH. No need for pitchers to risk injury hitting or running bases. And lets be honest, 95% its an automatic out which means an NL effectively has 3 less outs a game to work with ( I know PH strategy comes into play but I still don't like it. Although I'm an AL guy so maybe there is a bias)
    • Pitch clock (see brief explanation)
    • Moving the Trade Deadline, although I think moving it up is the wrong direction. It should be moved to sometime early Aug. Current proposal would be before the All Star Break
    Dislike:
    • Making relief pitcher face a minimum of 3 hitters. Baseball is a game of specialization at this point and many pitchers just aren't cut out for it. 15 years ago, yes, Now I don't think so
    • Starting a runner on 2nd in extra innings. I understand the sentiment, but it just feels like a short cut to end games. I guess I'm a weirdo who enjoys the rare 15+ inning game. Only happens a few times a year and they are exciting.

I'd love to see others thoughts on the rule proposals, whether for or against
    Also, if you haven't joined in on a Game Day Thread on your favorites team's subreddit, I highly encourage you to give it a go. This past season I started joining in on the GDT on the Red Sox subreddit a few times a week and it's hella fun
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited February 20
    Anyone have any favorite baseball podcasts? The only one I regularly listen to is "The Poscast" - with baseball writer Joe Posnanski and Mike Schur (Parks and Rec, Brooklyn 99, The Good Place). They don't exclusively cover baseball but it's usually the main focus and they typically hit some baseball topics every episode, along with all kinds of other silly things. They get great guests and do a lot of random but entertaining "drafts". Bonus for any Red Sox fans is that Mike is a Sox fan. 
  • edited February 20

Machado- i think the tweet of "are the Padres eve worth 300 million" was the best reaction to Machado signing there.  Was kind of surprised but good for San Diego.  Will be curious to see what Harper gets now and where he goes.

Rule Changes- is the pitch clock only for when there are no runners on base?  Even if that's the case, still seems like it gives a huge advantage to the hitter because at a certain time, they know that a pitch has to be delivered.  And if it applies to when runners are on base, then that's a HUGE advantage to a would be base stealer as they can take off as the clock gets to 30.  Moving the trade deadline, I don't really care about.  Universal DH, not surprised as the game is changing so at this point why not have it in the NL and make it that everyone plays by the same rules.  Relief pitchers, I'm 50-50 on only because constant pitching changes do slow down the game a lot but at the same point, it's a fun battle of what the opposing team does to react.  A runner on 2nd in extra innings is just dumb.  At that rate, why not just stop the game and turn it into a HR derby to decide who wins an extra inning game.  I'm sure that would excite things.....(sarcasm).

*edit- Any thoughts about how a bunch of players have come out and commented about how bad free agency has gotten in terms of teams not lining up and offering huge/long contracts like they use to?  And how a strike is inevitable at this point?  I mean, can they prove that the owners are (for lack of a better word) "colluding" to bring down salary and not giving out "outrageous" deals anymore?  I mean, on the one hand, i can totally get it that players can feel they are worth big money but on the other hand, do they have the right to tell an owner how to spend their money (regardless of how profitable the team is)?  Or because Machado just got the big contract, does this shut the players up and proves that owners will spend money when they feel like it?

Michelle said:
    @Chinaski you might have already heard, but...

"He’s bringing the Bernie Lean back to Oakland. Welcome back Coco Crisp as a game analyst on A’s radio broadcasts for 33 games this season." - the Oakland A's Facebook page
    interesting, i hadn't heard. wish it was as a TV analyst. he'd fit in perfect with Shooty Babitt, Bip Roberts, Dave Stewart and Brodie Brazil.
    Michelle
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I’m vehemently anti pitch clock. Thoughts?
    There are a few proposed rule changes that I absolutely hate but the pitch clock isn't one of them. Baseball seems to be a sport that is dying off to younger generations and I think one major draw back is the pace. Baseball is an inherently slow game. Allowing pitchers to take 30+ seconds between pitches can be rough. I think forcing them to stay on the mound and throw is a net positive for the game (same with batter staying in the box and not adjusting their gloves after every pitch ). Some pitchers like, CC Sabathia, are just moving at a snails pace and it can be a bit much. I'll put a quick break down of a few of the proposed rule changes and my opinion if anyone cares:

Like:
    • Universal DH. No need for pitchers to risk injury hitting or running bases. And lets be honest, 95% its an automatic out which means an NL effectively has 3 less outs a game to work with ( I know PH strategy comes into play but I still don't like it. Although I'm an AL guy so maybe there is a bias)
    • Pitch clock (see brief explanation)
    • Moving the Trade Deadline, although I think moving it up is the wrong direction. It should be moved to sometime early Aug. Current proposal would be before the All Star Break
    Dislike:
    • Making relief pitcher face a minimum of 3 hitters. Baseball is a game of specialization at this point and many pitchers just aren't cut out for it. 15 years ago, yes, Now I don't think so
    • Starting a runner on 2nd in extra innings. I understand the sentiment, but it just feels like a short cut to end games. I guess I'm a weirdo who enjoys the rare 15+ inning game. Only happens a few times a year and they are exciting.

I'd love to see others thoughts on the rule proposals, whether for or against
    1. Universal DH?  I'd rather see no DH, but the current setup is mostly fine.  This one will certainly come along at some point though.
    2. Pitch Clock is fine.
    3. Trade Deadline is early enough as it is.
    4. Minimum of 3 batters faced is intriguing, but ultimately I'm against it.
    5. Starting a runner on 2nd in extra innings is the most asinine rule change proposal I've ever heard.
  • Now Harper has more ammo to negotiate with.  Assuming the Phillies were serious about being "stupid spending" or whatever the phrase that was used, they have to be thinking "oh come on!" 
  • Now Harper has more ammo to negotiate with.  Assuming the Phillies were serious about being "stupid spending" or whatever the phrase that was used, they have to be thinking "oh come on!" 

Yup, the price just went up!

As far as the Nolan contract, I'm happy for 2 reasons:

1) Rockies are my adopted NL team and I always go to a few games a year, and he's a fun player to watch. Glad the Rockies put the $$ up to keep him around.

2) as a Red Sox fan it means the Yankees aren't getting him anytime soon  :p
    i find Harper turbo overrated. i'd take Nolan over him in a heartbeat.
    mylifeaskirk
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Harper is with the Phillies now. Giants fans were pushing really hard for it but the Giants are already loaded with overpaid stars and it doesn't feel like they're a player away. I dunno how to feel about it.
    Travis
    Harper is with the Phillies now. Giants fans were pushing really hard for it but the Giants are already loaded with overpaid stars and it doesn't feel like they're a player away. I dunno how to feel about it.
    good luck with that Philly. bet he lasts there 4-5 years.
    mylifeaskirk
  • edited February 28
    if reports are true of 13yr for 330mil, i'm shocked for a few reasons.  1) 13 years?  Damn!  2) Average of 300 over 13yr is only slightly more than 25 mil a year.  Kind of surprised it's that low per season (and by low i mean compared to Machado getting 30 mil a season and Arenado getting like 32.5 mil a season).  3) it's being reported there is no opt out?  WHAT?  With players taking short term deals to maximize their dollars during their prime, i'm shocked there's not any sort of opt out over the course of 13 yrs.  I can somewhat understand wanting to stay somewhere your entire career, but at the end of the day sports is still a business and you only have a certain amount of years to play (granted baseball is guaranteed money) but still, why not do a 3 or 4 yr deal for like 40 mil a season and then go back on the market.  Unless he thinks that the market is really going to come down over the years and let's say at the age of 30, he couldn't get 25 mil a season....
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 28
    Albert Pujols Contract 2.0! Get ready to feel really shitty about this deal in year 3 or 4 (maybe 5 or 6 if they're super lucky) and there will still be so many years left. I have no idea why they hand out deals even close to that long. And they went 3 years longer than the Angels did (granted, I'm pretty sure Pujols was a couple of years older). Total lunacy. 
    Pujols got that ridiculous contract at 31 (to his credit he was coming off some monster seasons in STL). Harper is only 26 but his seasons (stat wise) are no where near what Pujols did in STL. let's see if Harper can get that average over .250 this year.
    TravisNoel
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Chinaski said:

From what I read there's a no trade clause and no opt outs, so they're probably stuck with him.
    ChinaskiTravisNoel
    Chinaski said:

From what I read there's a no trade clause and no opt outs, so they're probably stuck with him.
    ah ok. just read this too;

'& a tax salary that could conceivably allow for Mike Trout to join him w/ the #Phillies in a year or two.'

Trout did grow up a die hard Philies fan so gotta go a little C+C Music Factory and say 'things that make you go hmm'.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 28
    Chinaski said:
    Chinaski said:

'& a tax salary that could conceivably allow for Mike Trout to join him w/ the #Phillies in a year or two.'

Trout did grow up a die hard Philies fan so gotta go a little C+C Music Factory and say 'things that make you go hmm'.
    HOW DARE YOU?!

Did I just baseball fan?

(everybody dance now!)
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Chinaski said:
    Chinaski said:

And Kris Bryant is a free agent in like 2021/2. and he is a Boras client, and he is friends with Harper. And he is still pissed at the Cubs for manipulating his service time. He may walk unless the Cubs overpay. but he is not giving them a discount.