MLB 2019

Comments

• Those London games were crazy.  I don't recall seeing so many wild pitches (or at least the way the ball was bouncing when spiked in front of home plate).  I have a cousin who went to Sunday's game and listening to him tell it, he's basically saying that the locals really didn't care and the stadium vendors were really slow.
  • Those London games were crazy.  I don't recall seeing so many wild pitches (or at least the way the ball was bouncing when spiked in front of home plate).  I have a cousin who went to Sunday's game and listening to him tell it, he's basically saying that the locals really didn't care and the stadium vendors were really slow.
    50 runs in 2 games, geeze. I'm glad they are trying to grow the game overseas. Doubtful it makes a ton of new fans, but you gotta try. 
  • @noel Where do the Rangers get their uniforms? The toilet store? The Angels get THEIR uniforms from a standard uniform making company. Most likely delivered. Not the toilet store.
    BOOM! You have been trash talked.
    cdrive
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    @Travis I would be more than happy to talk trash but I just read about what happened to Tyler Skaggs. Damn, such terrible news. Glad the Rangers decided to cancel tonight’s game. Rest In Peace.
    TravisChinaskiMichelle
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Noel said:
    @Travis I would be more than happy to talk trash but I just read about what happened to Tyler Skaggs. Damn, such terrible news. Glad the Rangers decided to cancel tonight’s game. Rest In Peace.
    whoa! he just pitched on Saturday! sad sad news. RIP.
    TravisNoelMichelle
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited July 2019
    Noel said:
    Oh shit! I hadn't seen that. That's terrible! RIP.

Classy move by the Rangers. Kudos.
    NoelMichelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited July 2019
    Noel said:
    I just read this as I hopped online.  Wow, so sad.  Rest In Peace.  Do they have any idea why yet?
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited July 2019
    Michelle said:
    Noel said:
    I just read this as I hopped online.  Wow, so sad.  Rest In Peace.  Do they have any idea why yet?
    Yeah, it really sucks. By all accounts seemingly a good dude.
    It looks like they were keeping the details "in house" to respect the family. The only thing that they're saying is that they don't believe it was suicide or "foul play." I think that's appropriate and I'm glad they're treating it that way.
    MichelleNoel
    Twins in town, they've been playing some really good baseball so it's not gonna be easy. they've def been one of the biggest surprises in MLB this year so shout out to them.
    Michelle
    Great game tonight!
    Chinaski
    Michelle said:
    Great game tonight!
    yeah it was! new catcher Chris Herrmann hit a grand slam in his season debut. welcome to Oakland!
    Michelle
    edited July 2019
    Gahhhhhhh this 10th! 
    Michelle said:
    Gahhhhhhh this 10th! 
    <sigh> blake treinen still has the yips. ugh :#
  • edited July 2019

Go A's (ok, now that I have majority of commenters on this thread's attention,  :p ) 

Does the Astro's player who flagrantly took out Lucroy get suspended at all?  I say flagrantly because when you watch the play, the player is out of the base path when he launches at Lucroy to take him out (he clearly takes a step to the left out of the base path).  I totally get that it's a tie game, late in the game, and the runner needs to decide within a split second of how is he trying/going to score, but I thought the whole point of the rule was that the runner was suppose to avoid contact.  In this case, while Lucroy was close to the baseline, he was off of it enough where the player could have tried a hookslide to get around him.  Instead this player decided that he needed to take the catcher out.  Just seemed like this is a clear case of unnecessary contact and should have some form of punishment behind it.

Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited July 2019
    Go A's... straight to hell. (fixed it for you).
    :-)

Angels rule!*

To your question, I'm not so familiar with the rules and where the lines are drawn but it definitely looked like he went out of his way to tackle him with the ball incoming. Pretty tough play and I don't like it. He veered away from the plate and into Lucroy in full tackle mode. I'm not sure if it's suspendable, but I don't like it. For what it's worth, I liked that he got straight up and went right for him to check on how he was doing. You could see that he didn't mean for what resulted, must have thought the timing was different, but it's still pretty rough.

*in every way not reflected by Wins.
  • Haha, thanks for the edit @Travis, :).

As for the rule, here's what I found:

"A runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate). If, in the judgment of the Umpire, a runner attempting to score initiates contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate) in such a manner, the Umpire shall declare the runner out (even if the player covering home plate loses possession of the ball). In such circumstances, the Umpire shall call the ball dead, and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the collision."

Also seeing this:

Rule 7.13 Comment: The failure by the runner to make an effort to touch the plate, the runner's lowering of the shoulder, or the runner's pushing through with his hands, elbows or arms, would support a determination that the runner deviated from the pathway in order to initiate contact with the catcher in violation of Rule 7.13. If the runner slides into the plate in an appropriate manner, he shall not be adjudged to have violated Rule 7.13. A slide shall be deemed appropriate, in the case of a feet first slide, if the runner's buttocks and legs should hit the ground before contact with the catcher. In the case of a head first slide, a runner shall be deemed to have slid appropriately if his body should hit the ground before contact with the catcher.

1. Unless the catcher is in possession of the ball, the catcher cannot block the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score. If, in the judgment of the Umpire, the catcher without possession of the ball blocks the pathway of the runner, the Umpire shall call or signal the runner safe. Notwithstanding the above, it shall not be considered a violation of this Rule 7.13 if the catcher blocks the pathway of the runner in order to field a throw, and the Umpire determines that the catcher could not have fielded the ball without blocking the pathway of the runner and that contact with the runner was unavoidable

So, clearly in that game, the Astro's player violated the rule and the umpire made the correct call.  But if MLB really wants to stop plays like these, then some form of punishment needs to be handed down (especially when it appears that the Astro's player went for the head in taking out Lucroy).  I'm not saying suspension has to be handed down but something, even like a good fine like say $100,000 or something.  Something that will sting.

I get the player was remorseful immediately and perhaps he's not that type of player in reality.  But the bottom line was he made a dumb play and needs to be responsible for his actions and if MLB choose some form of penalty, then he needs to accept it and move on.

Travis
  • Another non-A's topic.  Did anyone else read this?  https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-will-experiment-with-stealing-first-base-in-atlantic-league-165213306.html

Stealing first base?  I'm not sure how to feel about this.  On one hand, I don't want to be one of those people that freaks out when something is changed, but this just seems wrong.  I think you're screwing over pitchers too much with this.  I mean, if you've got a hitter in an 0-2 count and you want to spike one in the dirt and the batter doesn't offer but the ball gets away, now the batter can just "steal" first?  I guess it puts a premium on defensive catchers and speedy runners.

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited July 2019
    2 game suspension.  I don't believe there was any intent.  If there was any intent at all it was the intent to get out of the way.  He got juked by Lucroy's leg and he chose inside a millisecond before Lucroy also chose inside.  Bang bang play that looked really bad.  He look really shook in his apology and said he was going to follow up with Lucroy. He instantly went to Lucroy.  Jake just isn't that type of guy.  But a suspension was in order, so I agree with what they dealt him.  Hopefully the biggest take away from the series was that classy pre-agreement between Heaney and Springer to honor Skaggs.

Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited July 2019
    cdrive said:
    2 game suspension.  I don't believe there was any intent.  If there was any intent at all it was the intent to get out of the way.  He got juked by Lucroy's leg and he chose inside a millisecond before Lucroy also chose inside.  Bang bang play that looked really bad.  He look really shook in his apology and said he was going to follow up with Lucroy. He instantly went to Lucroy.  Jake just isn't that type of guy.  But a suspension was in order, so I agree with what they dealt him.  Hopefully the biggest take away from the series was that classy pre-agreement between Heaney and Springer to honor Skaggs.

I watched it on youtube and it could be that the angle (a "from the seats" vantage) could appear more intentional than it actually was. Given the way he immediately jumped up and reacted it was obvious that there was no malice. From what @dochielomn laid out I agree that they had to do the suspension just for precedent if nothing else but he did look as shocked as anybody at how it all went down. 

I agree with everything you're saying @cdrive. Just a crappy happening and the classy first pitch should be the thing that sticks. Nice move for both of those guys right there. Cheers to them both.

I saw the thing about stealing first base and I'm admittedly a little torn. I had the same reaction about it seeming like kind of BS, but there is also added excitement with it. I guess my take is that it's an interesting thing to take a flier on, but I'm skeptical and curious as to how it will play out. I could see it being a total mess, but who knows? Face value, I'm not rooting for it though.
    SO busy this week, haven't watched any games at all.  I did see video on Facebook of Chapman in the Homerun Derby, being pitched to by his father.  What a heartwarming moment and memory for them both. :heart:
  • edited July 2019
    Travis said:
    cdrive said:

I watched it on youtube and it could be that the angle (a "from the seats" vantage) could appear more intentional than it actually was. Given the way he immediately jumped up and reacted it was obvious that there was no malice. From what @dochielomn laid out I agree that they had to do the suspension just for precedent if nothing else but he did look as shocked as anybody at how it all went down. 

I agree with everything you're saying @cdrive. Just a crappy happening and the classy first pitch should be the thing that sticks. Nice move for both of those guys right there. Cheers to them both.

I saw the thing about stealing first base and I'm admittedly a little torn. I had the same reaction about it seeming like kind of BS, but there is also added excitement with it. I guess my take is that it's an interesting thing to take a flier on, but I'm skeptical and curious as to how it will play out. I could see it being a total mess, but who knows? Face value, I'm not rooting for it though.

I know slow motion replay and hindsight is 20-20 and/or easier to dissect but it just appeared that the outside of Homeplate was far easier to get to than trying to go inside and barrel over the catcher in the process.  I get that it's an instant reaction (so not like the runner had any real time to analyze it and think) but I do think his intention was to take out the catcher since he thought maybe the catcher had a play on him (as oppose to thinking that he could beat the throw purely with his speed).  I get that the intent was not to injure as I think for the most part, all athletes play and really aren't trying to injure someone (some exceptions i'm sure) because they do respect that each person is just trying to make a living like the next guy to him.  I'm fine with 2 games.  Heck, even if they just went with a huge fine, I would be ok with it.  Just something had to come of it.  MLB couldn't just skip over it.

As for stealing first base, I think my biggest problem (and it's going to be more of a rare type situation) is take a situation when a pitcher is going for a perfect game.  It's say 1 out in the 9th and a 1-1 count and all of a sudden, the pitcher throws a breaking ball that bounces away from the catcher or throws an outside pitch that the catcher misses and now the runner advances to the first and breaks up a perfect game.  Just seems bad.  I guess I just don't like the idea. 

Travis
  • edited July 2019

And not really trying to belabor this point, but I have to laugh at Hinch's comment here (regarding the Angels retaliating against Marisnick):

"I mean, the entire industry was probably expecting it. Our guy got suspended for an unintentional act, and they got a free shot."

I laugh because Hinch should have chosen his words better.  What Marisnick did with taking out Lucroy was totally intentional.  Now, did Marisnick have any intent on breaking Lucroy's nose or giving him a concussion, I'll say no to that for sure.  But don't say there was no intent on barreling over the catcher in that spot.  Replay clearly shows Marisnick taking a step out of the baseline so he could in fact knock Lucroy down.

However, I do totally agree with Hinch that the pitch that hit Marisnick was a little high and easily could have hit him in the head, which in the "unwritten rules of baseball" you don't go for a head shot in a scenario like that.

Additionally, I give Marisnick props for taking the hit by pitch and going to first without causing a scene.  And when something did start to flare up, it was Marisnick trying to tell his teammates to calm down or stop or settle down.  So, at least he took his retaliation and moved on from it. 

edit- adding in this article-  https://www.yahoo.com/sports/manny-machado-rips-mlb-network-141621809.html .  Mainly because Machado is partially right that had he done the same thing, his suspension probably would have been longer.  But also just funny that Machado felt that he had to weigh in on this topic.

@dochielomn , if you peaked on twitter during this controversy you'll see there was and still is a pretty good debate about if the collision was intentional.  A whole lot of people out there not seeing it as you framed it.  AJ is a class act just like Marisnick and is just defending his guys and calling out the double standard.  Throwing way up at Jake's head wasn't cool.  But I get the dotting.  And Jake calming down players and just sucking it up & playing baseball just more proves that he is the drowned girl tied to the dunking chair at the bottom of the river in Salem.  I have a vindictive bone in me as well so I get it.  I have wished before that the Astros would dot some people.  Like in seasons past when the Rangers kept hitting our guys and getting them injured, some of us were like "dot 'em back!" So I get it.  But throwing at his head wasn't cool.  Shows in retrospect a little bit of "Hector Projector" with all that pearl-clutching and criticism against Jake. Like, who's really dirty.    
    Travis
  • @cdrive, I agree about the head hunting.  That was uncalled for by the pitcher and I said as much.  And I give total credit to Marisnick for just accepting and going to first and then trying to tell his teammates to settle down about it.  But everyone is entitled to their opinion on this and I'll guess that you and I have opposite opinions on Marisnick's intent (only in terms of the actual collision, I do believe there was no intent to injure).  And I do understand that Hinch is going to stand up for his players.  But if he wants to contend that there was no intent, then he needs to 100% believe that the pitcher had no intention of throwing at Marisnick as well and that the pitch was just an accident as well (which I don't think either of us really think that it was an accident).
    edited July 2019
    I'll be the first to admit I wear majestic orange colored glasses.  But you can't say Hinch's statement of no intention is laughable and not think Ausmus's statement that there was no intent on hitting Marisnick is laughable as well.  Hinch nailed it: everyone knew Jake was getting beaned last night.  Every single person in baseball and in the fandom knew what was going to happen last night.  And it happened.  So there you go.  And it was right at the head.  And there are rules about throwing at the head.  So let's see if the Jake critics, MLB and Torre keep that same energy.  But they won't.  Hinch even put out what sounded maybe like a veiled threat saying essentially that if there is no punishment then now our guys know it's open season.  I just hope everyone adopts WWJ(ake)D, because Jake said he hopes everyone cools down and it doesn't start going that way.  
    Travis
  • Yes, completely agree that my opinion is that the pitcher did throw at Marisnick on purpose.  And had he actually beaned him in the head, I bet there would be suspension of fined.  But since he didn't get Marisnick in the head, I doubt there will be any consequences other than continued "bad blood" between the 2 teams.  I mean, to the pitcher's credit, he didn't throw at Marisnick with the first or even the second pitch.  So, in theory, had Marisnick put the ball in play on the strike pitch, then the Angels don't even get a chance to retaliate against him.  So, at least pitcher can have some "plausible deniability" in theory.  But I still think the intent to retaliate was there.  Basically, going back to baseball unwritten rules, the Angels were owed a retaliation shot.  If the Astros feel it went too far, then a guy like Verlander can go out and drill someone when he's given the opportunity and the cycle will continue until 1 side is done.  But at the end of the day, if Marisnick isn't the one that is fired up from being hit (and probably gets that it was coming), then you'd like to think his teammates would let it go.  Understood that they want to stand up for him though.

• Glad the Angels kept it classy. (face palm)

Looks like there will be suspensions though. Looks like 3 games for Ramirez and a game and a fine for Ausmus. I support it. Throwing at him for a little payback is one thing, a thing that I don't necessarily love but understand, but no going at the head.
    left on vacation on july 8th and got back last night. A's didn't lose the entire time.. just sayin.

20-5 in the last 25.. LET'S! GO! OAKLAND!
    Travis
    ugh.. i need to move to Alaska so the A's never lose again :|
    MichelleTravis
    Chinaski said:
    ugh.. i need to move to Alaska so the A's never lose again :|
    Haha. Glad you got recharged amigo. Alaska talk got me super jelly to be quite honest. Because personally we had some familial Alaskan cruise talk some years and it fell through. So Alaska haunts me like you don’t know.