308 - "Now Am Found"

Director: Daniel Sackheim
Writer: Nic Pizzolatto

Comments

• So pumped for this finale!
  • edited February 25
    Just picked up on something from E4...as Amelia is approaching Lucy’s door you can hear Lucy on the phone saying “don’t call?, who do you think you’re talking too, mother f’er?!, hello?hello?” (I inserted the first “?” per how I thought I heard her inflection...was she trying to already contact her daughter...

if someone already pointed this out I’m sorry
  • The police station in this show looks so much like the Center in "Homecoming," the Netflix series with Julia Roberts.  I noticed it a few weeks ago, but it just struck me again tonight.  Wonder if it's the same building or same set.
    gguenot
  • "You're just like a pretty bird flying around shitting on people's heads. I don't need one of them... I was doing real good without no head shittin' birds in here!"

That was incredible.  I don't know if it was incredible in a good way or bad way, though.
    PangsCapeGabeThegelatokingAussieGregraabnhoodDoubleA_Ronrustywright4
  • Man, really conflicted. So much good acting and character work scenes in this, but then holy info dump. The Ghost Amelia-Mike Ardoin reveal had me rolling my eyes.
    MurderbeargroovydooleyPangsRenaisWomnmylifeaskirkDemicDeetom_gLeahra821rustywright4
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Michael Rooker! Now we’re talking.

• Also, what was with the tense music for the final Julie scene? I didn't like how they got there, but this was a great moment. Very confusing tonally. Play some Leftovers style music and ram it home.
    PangsRenaisWomnDemic
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Man, really conflicted. So much good acting and character work scenes in this, but then holy info dump. The Ghost Amelia-Mike Ardoin reveal had me rolling my eyes.
    Yeah, I kind of agree. I had this deep feeling though when we first saw him (Mike) and his daughter it meant something. He reminded me of a young Tom and then she was named Lucy to boot. Too much of a coincidence. Ghost Amelia though was definitely pushing it though. I guess detectives can get inspiration from all kinds of places but that was a bit much.

Hays realized who she (Julie) was though, right? I feel like while he was drinking that water, his eyes said he had a realization mid-gulp why he was out at that house. Maybe he decided to just let her be. I really wanted that scene though of West and Hays for sure knowing that Julie was at least alive and well. I allllmost feel like they did after talking to Mr June. Not a complete sense of closure.

Overall though, what a great season of television. Mahershala absolutely killed it and holy shit, Steven fuckin Dorff. I have definitely found a new respect for that man after this season.

Also, I guess it's my own fault but I really thought there would be something more to what happened to Amelia. I guess she just died? It was nice though seeing Hays as a rent-a-cop at the University she was teaching at with that sweet little scene.
    raabnhoodsarahtatugarustywright4
  • Huh.  I love ambiguity, so I really liked it, because the acting was so crazy good.  But that wasn't your typical ending to a murder mystery, for sure.  Overall, I give it an A.
    gguenotalexander.klassenDoubleA_Ron

• Hays realized who she (Julie) was though, right? I feel like while he was drinking that water, his eyes said he had a realization mid-gulp why he was out at that house.

Yea, I thought this too, but then they didn't really play it like that after that scene. It also seemed like he realized it on the porch with the kids riding the bike. I guess with dementia, both could be true.
    Murderbearalexander.klassenraabnhoodPangs
  • Man, really conflicted. So much good acting and character work scenes in this, but then holy info dump. The Ghost Amelia-Mike Ardoin reveal had me rolling my eyes.
    I fully agree.  I think Ameila's book in 2015 was probably more of a narrative crutch than anything else. It was one thing when it was just an emotional sign post for Wayne in 2015.  It is a goddamn other when the book turns into R2D2 from A New Hope summoning a ghostly projection of our female protagonist giving us the scoop of a missing persons case decades in the making.
    RenaisWomnPangs
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Also, I feel like Amelia was one step away from saying 
    johnnytruantRenaisWomnhitmycdrive
  • If there is a follow-up Odd Couple series with Mahershala Ali & Stephen Dorff living together I'm so in.

It can be called: I Was Doing Good Without No Head Shitting Bird in Here
    Murderbear
  • Loved it...my only confusion is why they reminded us of the Season 1 connection at the beginning if they weren’t going to do at least a hint of a tie in? Or maybe I missed it?

the only potential connection I got (and this is a strreeeeeeech) was Mike’s family ran a landscaping business doing work for religious organizations...just like Mr Childress??? But Mike seems to be as good as Errol was bad so meh
  • My main confusion was introducing the daughter college scene and it seemed like something was up other than the daughter just being distraught over Hays when they were driving back from picking him up 
  • I think that the hallucinations of Amelia that Wayne was having were his brain trying to make him remember things he had forgotten. He trusted her so his brain used that trust to make him believe. I think he solved the case but forgot. 
    alexander.klassen
  • edited February 25
    Once we saw the landscaper with the Ardoin logo and an all-caps "MIKE" on his shirt usher a little girl named Lucy into the truck, I thought that part of the story was wrapped up. The explicit rehash presented as a denouement was tedious.

I would have liked at least one genuine twist.
    johnnytruantPangsrhcoopgroovydooley
  • edited February 25
    Man, I feel like people who didn't like the ending to season 1 really won't dig this. I liked it, but it did feel bloated with all the Amelia/Wayne breakup/reconcile scenes scattered throughout.

That scene of the kids riding their bikes, just like Tom's kids in episode 1, would have been such a great beat to end on. I don't think we needed yet another Amelia conversation.
    RenaisWomnMurderbearDoubleA_Ron
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I found this episode really slow and tedious. And Amelia’s whispery voice and constant talking was like nails down a blackboard. 

I was really into the whole season but this episode was a dud. 
    RenaisWomnPangsrhcoopmylifeaskirkrustywright4
  • I felt a little letdown with the finale of this season.  While we basically got all of the answers to questions that needed answering, it just felt a little weird to have the main plot basically end up as a giant accident and having Mr. June appear like a decent person.  Can't say i fully understand why after all that time, Mr. June wanted to clear his conscience.  Why not do that in 1997 when he said he found Julie? 

I did really enjoy the Hoyt - Hays scene though.  Usually enjoy it when the "bad guy" is trying to have an honest conversation with the protagonist and the protagonist starts lying or not telling the whole truth and the antagonist calls them out on it.  I guess the real question is, did Hoyt actually know what was going on or what happened with Julie?  Would have to speculate that while maybe he didn't "authorize" it, that eventually he found out and just didn't do anything about it.

We still didn't get a clear answer as to what happened with Roland and his girlfriend and why they broke up (as they appeared pretty happy together).  Do we just assume that Roland started spiraling down somewhat and they broke up and he moved out of the house or something?

I also didn't really like that the attorney general or DA guy wasn't shown to be in on anything.  So, now we are to assume that he was just trying to pounce on the case as political opportunity and he doesn't actually care about good police/case work?

Also, not sure how i feel about the Elisa ending (i guess now it ended last episode).  But maybe she represents us as the larger viewing audience who wants to see conspiracies and such when sometimes in life things are what they are and there is no larger thing to it.  Like, you'd have to think that if Elisa learned the truth, she'd be like "oh....i guess that makes sense" while being disappointed that there wasn't a larger story behind it all.

In terms of Julie being alive at the end, i'd like to think Hays did realize it while drinking the water.  And that twist, i didn't mind (especially that Mike looked like Tom and having the girl named Lucy, i suspected that was purposeful and maybe even after Lucy Purcell before we got the reveal).  Although, why Hays didn't call Roland immediately and tell him what's up was slightly disappointing.

Overall, i still thought the season was quite good.  Not really sure how i would have had it ended, but i think sometimes endings are just going to be disappointing if only because the viewer has built it up so much in their head that the excitement/anticipation just can't be paid off fully.

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    The police station in this show looks so much like the Center in "Homecoming," the Netflix series with Julia Roberts.  I noticed it a few weeks ago, but it just struck me again tonight.  Wonder if it's the same building or same set.
    I was just in a real police station....
  • At the end the two guys ask each other if this feels like closure to them and I’m wondering if the audience is supposed to feel what they’re feeling
    MurderbearraabnhoodMichellemylifeaskirk
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited February 25
    That bar fight and shit-talking solidified Roland’s legendary status in my book.  Then that dog scene....uf.  Where my dog people at?! 

But yeah, Roland West is a foxhole motherfucker.  If I’m choosing who’s in my foxhole, Roland is in my foxhole. He is a baaad bad boy.  And he said “Old Gal”.  Again, country af.  
    MurderbearraabnhoodFreddyhisdudeness915mylifeaskirkHatorianDoubleA_Ronmostlywright
  • ebuchholzebuchholz Cleveland, OH
    Unsatisfied.

The triple reveal of Julie's status was annoying. People paying attention got it with the landscaper and his daughter. Then to take the realization away from Hays at the last moment, pulling the rug out from under our anticipation... was cruel.

The Roland post-barfight, comforted by the dog scene was worth it though.
    Pangs
  • I really enjoyed this finale. It felt similar to the Breaking Bad season to me. They told this great compelling story that came to its natural conclusion. I wasn't surprised by the Breaking Bad season finale, most of it is exactly what I expected. I believe that is a sign of a good show that told a tight narrative. True Detective had a few surprises like with Julie's fate but most of it felt like a natural conclusion I was expecting. I did think the scene of Amelia's book was a bit too much. Falling on the right place and Wayne reading it. I feel like Wayne was still good enough of a detective to have figured it out somehow. Not sure how that would have played out but I feel like there was a better way to reveal all that information. 

I do have some final questions and thoughts though:

-I was really bummed they didn't get a concrete answer as to what happened to Tom. At least for Roland. 

-What happened to Amelia? Did they ever say why she's gone? I felt like her absence was central to the mystery in some way and I don't remember the show ever saying what happened to her. 

-Finally, I am struggling with who was the big bad? Hoyt seemed more like another fake out. He felt more like a rich dad just trying to keep his family from falling apart after the boy died and his daughter took Julie. My thought is his daughter was doing all that without him knowing and wasn't clued in until Julie was in his house and he had to use his power and influence to cover everything up as much as possible. Maybe he knew his daughter played with the kids, or that they wanted to adopt them, but nothing about what eventually happened until later. My real confusion comes to Harris James and the fact that it does seem like he murdered Tom, or did he? 

As the one eyed man described the events to the two old detectives it was confirmed that the boy's death was an accident (something I thought from the beginning) and that Julie was taken with somewhat "best" intentions. Harris James was just a normal cop that kept a reckless driving situation off the books. Then Hoyt paid him off to stash a backpack to end an investigation for a fat check as a security man of the chicken farm. BUT THEN we are led to believe he found Tom in the basement and killed him? That seems like a far stretch. I mean, I'm not convinced they established Harris James as a straight up murderer, did they? And if he did murder, are we convinced Hoyt was the one who ordered the killing? It didn't seem like it but maybe Hoyt knew what happened and started drinking more because he realizes the lengths he's going to protect his family, that an innocent father who lost his kids also be murdered was getting out of hand. That's some dark stuff and the scenes with Hoyt and Harris James didn't really make me feel they were that sort of murderous disgusting people. Thoughts?
    Pangs
  • edited February 25
    overall, I thought this was a good season, sure as hell beats S2. and how are you going to get lightning in the bottle again like S1 was?

my take on the finale:

• realllllly underwhelming... but not bad. Basically, the "mystery" was solved in E6, really this was more about connecting the dots on what Hays did after 1990
    • there is something more to that last shot that I don't quite understand. Also, "Hays in the Jungle" is like the 8th timeline of the season
    • Stephen Dorff is incredible
    • That scene with him and the dog really got my feels
    • Most of the plot from 90s on was very rational and reasonable. Amelia and Wayne agree to just forget all of the true crime stuff. It was such a mess that just dropping it and reconnecting seems like a very clean approach to getting past it (if you can manage something like that)
    • Good to see Rebekah wasn't a lie, and was alive + still happy
    • I thought that Julie and Lucy were going to poison Hays with that water. Lots of people are interpreting this moment as Hays remembering why he was there. I don't think that's the case.
    • Although maybe there is something to that.... Hays recognizes that Julie wants to put it all in the past as well, similar to him in the 90s.
    mjmullady
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    I loved this episode and season as a whole. I am guessing a lot of people won't like the ending but I thought it was great. He was able to solve that last piece of the puzzle but his illness that they have been playing at all season struck again. I was glued to the TV that whole scene just waiting for him to remember why he was there but it never came.

The finale didn't answer all the questions for the characters on the show but I am ok with that because we don't always get all the answers in life. But they were able to give most (if not all, I can't think of any things left hanging) to the audience even if the characters themselves didn't get them. Really well done I thought. I also liked how it wasn't some big conspiracy like season 1. It was a few bad people who did some bad things. I am glad it wasn't over complicated. 

And of course the best part of the entire season, the acting, was A+ last night. I hope Ali and Dorff get some recognition come awards season.
  • raabnhood said:
    -I was really bummed they didn't get a concrete answer as to what happened to Tom. At least for Roland. 

-What happened to Amelia? Did they ever say why she's gone? I felt like her absence was central to the mystery in some way and I don't remember the show ever saying what happened to her. 

-Finally, I am struggling with who was the big bad? Hoyt seemed more like another fake out. He felt more like a rich dad just trying to keep his family from falling apart after the boy died and his daughter took Julie. My thought is his daughter was doing all that without him knowing and wasn't clued in until Julie was in his house and he had to use his power and influence to cover everything up as much as possible. Maybe he knew his daughter played with the kids, or that they wanted to adopt them, but nothing about what eventually happened until later. My real confusion comes to Harris James and the fact that it does seem like he murdered Tom, or did he? 

As the one eyed man described the events to the two old detectives it was confirmed that the boy's death was an accident (something I thought from the beginning) and that Julie was taken with somewhat "best" intentions. Harris James was just a normal cop that kept a reckless driving situation off the books. Then Hoyt paid him off to stash a backpack to end an investigation for a fat check as a security man of the chicken farm. BUT THEN we are led to believe he found Tom in the basement and killed him? That seems like a far stretch. I mean, I'm not convinced they established Harris James as a straight up murderer, did they? And if he did murder, are we convinced Hoyt was the one who ordered the killing? It didn't seem like it but maybe Hoyt knew what happened and started drinking more because he realizes the lengths he's going to protect his family, that an innocent father who lost his kids also be murdered was getting out of hand. That's some dark stuff and the scenes with Hoyt and Harris James didn't really make me feel they were that sort of murderous disgusting people. Thoughts?

1) Once Hays pointed out some obvious flaws, Roland is smart enough to conclude that Tom's death was like 95% homicide and framed as a suicide.

2) Doesn't really matter.  She died of old age let's say.  The show didn't specifically say how she died but clearly she's not living in the 2015 timeline.

3) Harris James definitely murdered Tom.  He was already shown to be somewhat crooked (pinning Will's murder and Julie's disappearance on Woodard) and so it's not that far off to believe that he would have killed Tom once Tom discovered part of the truth.  I mean, the last we see of Tom alive is him getting into the pink room and we see Harris sneaking up behind him.  There's no way Harris lets Tom go and after finding that pink room, there is no chance that Tom then just kills himself.  In hindsight, there isn't a truly "big bad" this season. 

4) As for Hoyt, I think it's open to interpretation of how much he actually knew.  Was he consistently away from the estate or was he back and forth.  Did he pay attention to his finances so if every month, X amount of dollars went missing (assuming it was paid to Lucy), he wouldn't know and ask questions.  Stuff like that. 

As for Harris, going back to point 3, i think he killed both Tom and Lucy.  As mentioned, we see him sneak up on Tom and then the next thing Tom is dead.  Now, did Hoyt order this?  Not sure.  Harris could have just acted on his own feeling a sense of loyalty to the Hoyts and not wanting the truth to come out (which would also implicate him and planting evidence against Woodard).  Additionally, Hays makes a connection that right before she died, Lucy was calling Harris and Harris went out to Vegas and then Lucy dies and Harris leaves Vegas.  Granted, it could be circumstantial, but pretty suspicious as well.  Would be willing to bet that Harris also killed Lucy to silence her.  Plus, when Hays and Roland kidnap Harris and start to interrogate him, if he truly had nothing to hide and was not guilty of some things, he would have talked.  Instead, he was keeping his mouth shut and when given a chance (after Hays uncuffs him), Harris lunges at Hays.  Doesn't really come off as the actions of someone who is entirely innocent.  Seem more like behavior from someone that might have been guilty of what they were accusing him of.  So while Harris might not come off as a psychopath killer, i think he wasn't above murder when he thought the situation called for it.

raabnhoodHatorian
  • Too be honest I found a lot of season 3 quite boring - too many one on one scenes that just go 
    on for way too long. Wayne and Amelia for example. It reminded me of some parts seasons 1 and 2 of Breaking Bad. Yes you need character development but when they go on for so long 
    then all that comes into my mind is that they do these over long scenes to save money.

As for the finale...

It didn't need to be an extended episode.
    No real payoff on Wayne's daughter - I was led to believe something was happening there.
    Absolutely loved the Roland scene in the bar but why did he do it ? Guilt about his partner/friend ?
    I loved the reveal scene with Amelia - it was him just remembering stuff. All great.

Overall, Season 3 was a 3 out of 5 for me - Great acting but just let down by over long 
    dialog between some characters.