911 - Bounty

A great episode. I am so glad they are drawing out the Whisperers. The whole baby scene was horrible and brilliant at the same time. Loved them showing the cornfield fight with muffled sound, the use of music throughout the episode, Alpha's veneer of reasonableness slipping to show a whole lot of crazy, and just in general how so much happened compared to how little used to happen in episodes. I wonder if this episode is a sign they'll work flashbacks into episodes instead of having entire flashback episodes.
rustywright4

Comments

• edited February 26
    Yeah thumbs up for sure, the deaf POV was such a creative way to make something we've seen a million times seem that much more frightening. The baby scene has me calling some bullshit though, these people MUST have some kind of home base, you can't tell me that they walk around with the dead, baby in hand. 
    PangsByrdieLandscraping
  • Not sure if Alpha is full of shit but it’s she legit then Henry and Daryl are going to get a lot of people killed. 
  • jleav382 said:
    The baby scene has me calling some bullshit though, these people MUST have some kind of home base, you can't tell me that they walk around with the dead, baby in hand. 
    IDK, could be Alpha ordered the baby brought along.  Also, the show has taken a darker turn than the comics so I don't know how crazy the Whisperers will turn out to be.
    jleav382rustywright4
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited February 26
    I dunno, the comic whisperers were pretty dark. iirc, there was some implied (or not so implied) sanctioned rape of the females in the group (including an underage Lydia) because that's what animals do, and definitely some scenes coming up that if they match the comics will be brutal...

What the show has done so far is make the whisperers definitely more creepy than the comics, and arguably more believable.

Trying to remember from the comic if the do have a home base. seems like they really just did wander with the herds of walkers. They likely would need some kind of base just from a logistics standpoint, so might also help with the show making them more believable.

jleav382rustywright4
  • lengmo said:
    jleav382 said:
    The baby scene has me calling some bullshit though, these people MUST have some kind of home base, you can't tell me that they walk around with the dead, baby in hand. 
    IDK, could be Alpha ordered the baby brought along.  Also, the show has taken a darker turn than the comics so I don't know how crazy the Whisperers will turn out to be.
    I considered that, honestly i'm hoping you're right because that was DARK AF and I loved that the walking dead is going that route, it's what this show desperately needs and I think that scene demonstrates that well.
    lengmo
  • redlancer said:
    I dunno, the comic whisperers were pretty dark.
    Yes, but I was talking about the show as a whole, not just the Whisperers.  In the show the Sanctuary has failed, the Kingdom is failing, Alexandria is isolated.  Everyone is reduced to pointy objects to kill zombies with guns as very last resort.  A few bad harvests or a slip-up with a herd could extinguish the remaining communities.*  In the show, before the baby scene, the Whisperers were strange but also a much more compelling option for survival than they ever are in the comic.  Compared with having to struggle to feed everyone and monitor and manage zombie herds, people could just slip on a mask and walk freely, going anywhere, finding food for the taking.  But starting with this episode the Whisperers are shown to be a worse choice than fighting on.

* You could argue everyone could just go to Oceanside or where Maggie went, but most people would have to walk to those places and it's not clear those communities have the capacity to take in the people who make it to them.
  • lengmo said:
    redlancer said:
    I dunno, the comic whisperers were pretty dark.
    Yes, but I was talking about the show as a whole, not just the Whisperers.  In the show the Sanctuary has failed, the Kingdom is failing, Alexandria is isolated.  Everyone is reduced to pointy objects to kill zombies with guns as very last resort.  A few bad harvests or a slip-up with a herd could extinguish the remaining communities.

Good point. In the comic the post time-jump scenario was all the communities happy as a clam working together (even Sanctuary to some extent) and everything appeared to be humming along toward bright(ish) future.

Another good case for the show getting better and doing the 'remix' the right way for a change. The show is tweaked enough to be a little more interesting plot-wise and likely more realistic in a world-building sense.

lengmo
  • Its kind of crazy but TWD has kind of done what a lot of folks wanted it to do beginning in season 7 and rebooted itself, recasting/remixing several key characters, and booting(ish) Gimple. It's made the main cast a bit more bland imo but its being plotted much much better. I have a lot of comic related thoughts about how the rest of this season will manifest (do we still do a comic spoiler thread?) but I agree with the above comments that they don't seem to be afraid to get dark and that the events to come are gonna be dark af.
    lengmorustywright4
  • Byrdie said:
     I have a lot of comic related thoughts about how the rest of this season will manifest (do we still do a comic spoiler thread?)
    Please start one; I have a few thoughts to contribute.
    Landscraping
  • lengmo said:
    Byrdie said:
     I have a lot of comic related thoughts about how the rest of this season will manifest (do we still do a comic spoiler thread?)
    Please start one; I have a few thoughts to contribute.
    I’d be happy to discuss those on my podcast in this thread :) 
  • So which movie do we think Ezekiel will show the children? 
    My money is on Night Of The Living Dead.
    redlancer
  • So which movie do we think Ezekiel will show the children? 
    Either that or Zombie Land  >:)
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Too bad zombies don’t exist in the WD universe cuz that would be hilarious if they did show it. But they can’t based on the rules they set. 
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    So which movie do we think Ezekiel will show the children? 

I can see an entire episode of council debate over what movie to show.

Now we know the reason the different communities aren't getting along very well; movie night devolved into a gun fight and Daryl and Michonne getting scars...  :)

lengmo
  • So refreshing to have Darryl go get Lydia once they were going to trade for their two, like no questions. In past seasons we'd have 15 mins of morgalizing. 
    lengmo
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited March 12
    Catching up on this now.  When did Enid supposedly get her medical degree or even remote amount of training sufficient enough to examine and diagnose people?   
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC

Michelle said:
    Catching up on this now.  When did Enid supposedly get her medical degree or even remote amount of training sufficient enough to examine and diagnose people?   
    She got it from Siddiq a while ago.  Remember that Enid amputated Aaron's arm.
    Michelle
  • mtron32mtron32 San Diego
    edited March 12
    Halfway into the new episode, the baby scene was awesome.  No zombaby yet <span>:neutral:</span>