EW article on making of season 8 (mildly spoilery)

Not really any actual spoilers, but if you want to go into the season completely unsullied you may want to skip, as it talks about certain characters being in certain types of scenes, etc.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/04/game-of-thrones-season-8-battle/

Given EW's relationship with the show I know the article is basically PR so take it w/ a grain of salt ...

Talks about one episode is the longest battle scene ever filmed (I think they're including movies too??) - like longer than Helms Deep. Directed by Miguel Sapochnik. 11 weeks of night shoots. I'm cautiously optimistic about it with Sapochnik leading the way, it sounds like they put a lot of thought into it to make not just a big battle for the sake of spectacle but a compelling story. We'll see.

And it also talks about how one episode is "a calm-before-the-storm entry that might surprise viewers with its play-like intimacy." I'm here for that, definitely would be good if not every episode was not just a 90-minute action-packed plot advancement vehicle, and instead took some time to focus on the characters and relationships that make the show so good.
RyanReesemanNoelKate23

Comments

• The article was good for the news-hungry, I especially liked the reasoning to film the battle all together sequentially vs piecemeal. And how the actors had to think about what they'd be doing as that character while off camera. 
    The photoshopped group shot though.... couldn't even get the Hound's scar on the correct side?? The reddit comments on that photo are hilarious. 
    MrX
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    MrX said:
    And it also talks about how one episode is "a calm-before-the-storm entry that might surprise viewers with its play-like intimacy." I'm here for that, definitely would be good if not every episode was not just a 90-minute action-packed plot advancement vehicle, and instead took some time to focus on the characters and relationships that make the show so good.
    This will probably be my favorite episode of the season. While the action sequence’s are thrilling and impressive, it’s those intimate moments between characters that I love that really made me fall in love with this show. I can think back to last season when Thoros and Sandor talk, look into the flame and bury the bodies outside. So simple but so effective.
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited March 5
    I haven't read the EW article yet, but for those that are interested in this type of news, EW has a Game of Thrones podcast with James Hibberd and Darren Franich.

In the podcast they released back in December, James went in depth on the themes of he season, generally what to expect, the incredibly expanded Winterfell set, the big battle, and even how knowing all of these spoilers of the season affect him mentally.

The battle sounds insane. I really like that the battle is not the "final" showdown in the last couple of episodes, since we know that it occurs earlier in the season (if you look at the directors for the episodes, you can tell which it is).
    And I love that at least in the podcast Hibberd really hammers home that this season does have a lot of action, but it has even more of the intimate (talking) scenes between characters.
    saraej319
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    I can’t wait. The Battle is the Bastards is tied with Saving Private Ryan for my favourite battle of cinema history.

also the little teaser we got is awesome. Maisie Williams had such a great little scene where she is seeing the dragon for the first time and she plays it perfectly as a kid who’s sort of battled tested and hardened but has this little kid smirk of seeing a fucking dragon in real life. Shits going to be epic. 
    Kate23
  • @All the Chickens  I'm wary of even listening to that due to fear of overload but I probably will...I can't even imagine being Hibbard, a journalist, trying NOT to report on all that!

Listened to a very fun VF ramping-up "Still Watching" podcast last night with a great interview of Esme (Ros) at the end. It's getting the juices going during my rewatch. 
    Kate23 said:
    @All the Chickens  I'm wary of even listening to that due to fear of overload but I probably will...I can't even imagine being Hibbard, a journalist, trying NOT to report on all that!

Listened to a very fun VF ramping-up "Still Watching" podcast last night with a great interview of Esme (Ros) at the end. It's getting the juices going during my rewatch. 
    He doesn't give anything at all away but speaks in generalities just to hype you up for the season, and paints a gnarly picture of what all they did for the battle logistics and the new Winterfell set. And most of it is material he has also written about since the podcast, including all of the information in this latest EW article linked above. So you aren't missing much, but I do find it better to listen to people talk about an experience rather than reading it.

He does also tell a story about talking to his therapist and them slyly mentioning that he *could* take the load off his shoulders and spill the beans to them in their session, since they have Doctor-Patient confidentiality.
    Kate23
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Kate23 said:
    @All the Chickens  I'm wary of even listening to that due to fear of overload but I probably will...I can't even imagine being Hibbard, a journalist, trying NOT to report on all that!

He doesn't give anything at all away but speaks in generalities just to hype you up for the season, and paints a gnarly picture of what all they did for the battle logistics and the new Winterfell set. And most of it is material he has also written about since the podcast, including all of the information in this latest EW article linked above. So you aren't missing much, but I do find it better to listen to people talk about an experience rather than reading it.

He does also tell a story about talking to his therapist and them slyly mentioning that he *could* take the load off his shoulders and spill the beans to them in their session, since they have Doctor-Patient confidentiality.
    I'd be happy to have him visit Dr. Teresa's couch and unburden his soul.
    edited March 7
    So, EW has a new article interviewing Vladimir Furdik, who plays the Night King (he also played Arthur Dayne and the White Walker Jon killed in Hardhome). He has a couple of interesting quotes here pertaining to the upcoming season that I wouldn't consider spoilery but they certainly tease the season.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/07/night-king-game-of-thrones-interview/

What can we expect from him in the final season?
    People will see he has a target he wants to kill, and you will find out who that is. There’s also that moment [in “Hardhome”] when Jon Snow was on the boat and the Night King looked at him and raised his arms — there’s a similar and even stronger moment between Jon and the Night King this time.

Do you have an all-time favorite Night King scene?
    That’s still coming. 

• budesignsbudesigns Tega Cay, SC
    All the Chickens said:
    So, EW has a new article interviewing Vladimir Furdik, who plays the Night King (he also played Arthur Dayne and the White Walker Jon killed in Hardhome). He has a couple of interesting quotes here pertaining to the upcoming season that I wouldn't consider spoilery but they certainly tease the season.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/07/night-king-game-of-thrones-interview/

What can we expect from him in the final season?
    People will see he has a target he wants to kill, and you will find out who that is. There’s also that moment [in “Hardhome”] when Jon Snow was on the boat and the Night King looked at him and raised his arms — there’s a similar and even stronger moment between Jon and the Night King this time.

Do you have an all-time favorite Night King scene?
    That’s still coming. 

fuuuuuuuuuuuk 
  • The Night king is Jon's real mother! I knew it!