Captain Marvel early reviews

All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
edited March 5 in Movies
From the major website reviewers and a couple of youtubers movie reviewers like John Campea who saw it last night, the general tone I'm getting is "Good, fun movie, but with flaws" (good but not GREAT). Regardless of some of the lukewarm or even negative reviews, it's still going to kill in the box office because Marvel has smartly maneuvered this a s a must-see theater movie for anyone wanting to see the final Avengers movie in April.
Ant-Man and the Wasp was another movie that you needed to see first, but obviously people like myself had time to wait for it to come out on digital or bluray first (heck it's been out on Netflix even). You don't get that choice with Captain Marvel, and it's a great move by Disney/Marvel.

Captain Marvel is a messy origin story with some clever twists: EW review
https://ew.com/movie-reviews/2019/03/05/captain-marvel-review/

AP Review: Captain Marvel' gets an average introduction
https://apnews.com/2f86eb249b5e40df8aff555ff0152f43

Variety: the film is certainly fun, but it's Brie Larson's performance that takes things to another level.
https://variety.com/2019/film/reviews/captain-marvel-review-brie-larson-samuel-l-jackson-1203154542/

Captain Marvel isn't a bad movie, it's not nearly as exciting as most of its MCU counterparts.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/captain-marvel-review-1192277 ;

Captain Marvel proves the Marvel formula still works, and works well
https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/5/18246829/captain-marvel-review

Captain Marvel is a very routine affair made a little better by a wonderful cast
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/03/captain-marvel-review-brie-larson-anna-boden-ryan-fleck/584125/
Landscraping

Comments

• rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    I figure the connective tissue to Endgame will be pretty paper thin and will only happen in the stinger for the movie. I'm more worried they will use her as too much of a deus ex machina to defeat Thanos.  

I hope I'm wrong as it will be pretty bad storytelling if a character introduced at the 11th hour has a bigger role in defeating the main villain for this 10 plus year story than the characters we've watched over those years. 

I'm going to pass on this, but I've never liked Carol Danvers as a character in the comics.  Marvel has plenty of great female characters (Storm, She-Hulk, Black Widow, Sue Storm/Richards) she's just not one of them IMO.

I hope people enjoy it, but I can wait another month or so until Endgame comes out. 
    jbryant27
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I love love love all the Marvel movies but "good, not great" is a fitting review for a lot of them it seems. Especially from the critics. I am kind of excited for it but I am wondering how good it will actually be.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    rhcoop said:
    I figure the connective tissue to Endgame will be pretty paper thin and will only happen in the stinger for the movie. I'm more worried they will use her as too much of a deus ex machina to defeat Thanos.  

I hope I'm wrong as it will be pretty bad storytelling if a character introduced at the 11th hour has a bigger role in defeating the main villain for this 10 plus year story than the characters we've watched over those years.
    I don't think you're wrong in your thinking and wanting it to be more about what characters we've known but of course she will. Thanos, even without all the Infinity Stones is more powerful than all our favorite characters. I mean, new powered up Thor is probably the strongest one I guess but Captain Marvel will definitely be the new champ. But I also assume they are setting her up for movies in the future because who the heck knows what the MCU will look like after this movie.

My main question is how do they get all the people back after the gauntlet was seemingly destroyed after the snap? Beating Gauntlet-less Thanos is still a difficult task but not nearly as insurmountable as it was before.
  • The Gauntlet wasn’t destroyed, and although badly damaged, still worked on some level as Thanos was able to teleport away.  
    Murderbearrhcoop
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    rhcoop said:

I'm going to pass on this, but I've never liked Carol Danvers as a character in the comics.  Marvel has plenty of great female characters (Storm, She-Hulk, Black Widow, Sue Storm/Richards) she's just not one of them IMO.

I hope people enjoy it, but I can wait another month or so until Endgame comes out. 
    I think that she will play an important role in Endgame, but it would be stupid for them to have her written in as the Superman of the Justice League movie who flies in during the final act to dispatch of the main villain. This has been 10+ years in the making with beloved hero arcs coming to an end (the OG Avengers). Those are the heroes of this movie that people really care about and they should be the ones who defeat Thanos or whoever the main antagonist is at the end.

If they wanted Captain Marvel to be the one to plant her foot on Thanos's defeated chest and plant her flag for Phase 4, then they should have made her movie years ago instead of introducing her a month before Endgame is released. Captain Marvel and the new heroes will get their own Thanos and their own Endgame eventually.

Also, it seems like you would enjoy Comic Book Girl 19's opinions on Carol Danvers in the comics. She really hates the fact that they are trying to convince people that she is a popular character in the comics just to hype her for the movies. She dislikes the character to almost comical proportions. I don't really have much of an opinion of her either way, since I haven't really thought about Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers in the comics much until the MCU started hyping her. Seems like they've just continued rebooting short runs for her character really trying to make it happen.

rhcoop
    rhcoop said:

I don't think you're wrong in your thinking and wanting it to be more about what characters we've known but of course she will. Thanos, even without all the Infinity Stones is more powerful than all our favorite characters. I mean, new powered up Thor is probably the strongest one I guess but Captain Marvel will definitely be the new champ. But I also assume they are setting her up for movies in the future because who the heck knows what the MCU will look like after this movie.

My main question is how do they get all the people back after the gauntlet was seemingly destroyed after the snap? Beating Gauntlet-less Thanos is still a difficult task but not nearly as insurmountable as it was before.
    I think there will be a time reset or something to do with them being sucked into the time stone right when the snap happened via some plan Dr. Strange set up in IW.  He didn't hand over that stone to save the other heroes on Titan. My perception is that he really doesn't have a ton of attachment to the other heroes so I think this was a Batman-eque plan he's hatched.  Basically, I think Thanos will have the gauntlet back at full power at some point in Endgame once time is reset or the effect of the snap is reversed. 

If they are smart, it will be the core marvel trinity (Cap, Thor, IM) that ultimately stop Thanos with help from the others.  Thor could have killed him in the last movie if he'd have went straight to Titan instead of going to Earth for whatever reason or if he'd have just hit him in the head at the end of the last fight.   

Now this is in the comics so I don't want people to yell that I haven't seen the movie yet, but Carol Danvers is just a pretty bland kinda is just there character.  They've changed her power set, personality and code name about 4 times in the last 10-12 years to try to push her up the importance ladder.  Marvel really wants their own WW, so they chose to push Carol in the comics IMO.

I wish they would have made a Black Widow solo movie before this, but this is what they gave us. 
    Aww_PHuuCk
    To me, the Spider-Man: Far From Home trailer kinda of screams that there is a time reset rather than just bringing people back. The trailer doesn't look like a post-apocalyptic world where people were very recently just brought back to existence and everyone has extreme PTSD.

And there is no where near enough time for them to have rebuilt and cleaned everything up since the end of Endgame. Feige has previously stated that Spider-Man takes place moments after the end of Endgame.
    Landscraping
  • rhcoop said:
    rhcoop said:

I think there will be a time reset or something to do with them being sucked into the time stone right when the snap happened via some plan Dr. Strange set up in IW.  He didn't hand over that stone to save the other heroes on Titan. My perception is that he really doesn't have a ton of attachment to the other heroes so I think this was a Batman-eque plan he's hatched.  Basically, I think Thanos will have the gauntlet back at full power at some point in Endgame once time is reset or the effect of the snap is reversed. 

If they are smart, it will be the core marvel trinity (Cap, Thor, IM) that ultimately stop Thanos with help from the others.  Thor could have killed him in the last movie if he'd have went straight to Titan instead of going to Earth for whatever reason or if he'd have just hit him in the head at the end of the last fight.   

Now this is in the comics so I don't want people to yell that I haven't seen the movie yet, but Carol Danvers is just a pretty bland kinda is just there character.  They've changed her power set, personality and code name about 4 times in the last 10-12 years to try to push her up the importance ladder.  Marvel really wants their own WW, so they chose to push Carol in the comics IMO.

I wish they would have made a Black Widow solo movie before this, but this is what they gave us. 
    Ant Man and the Quantum Realm will likely factor in, as they can play with time travel shenanigans with that too.
    LandscrapingAww_PHuuCk
    Well, 83% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes is way lower than I thought it would be, just based on it being a new Marvel standalone film and the social aspect of the movie. Doesn't mean anything of course as far as us fans are concerned, and that's not a bad score by any means, but it is surprising.

I expected a Thor: Ragnarok type of score (92%).
    Well, 83% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes is way lower than I thought it would be, just based on it being a new Marvel standalone film and the social aspect of the movie. Doesn't mean anything of course as far as us fans are concerned, and that's not a bad score by any means, but it is surprising.

They are lucky its not worse than that.  I've read through a lot of the reviews and most of the positive ones appear to say it's OK.  Sounds like its more on par with Ant Man than Winter Soldier or Infinity War. 
    rhcoop said:

They are lucky its not worse than that.  I've read through a lot of the reviews and most of the positive ones appear to say it's OK.  Sounds like its more on par with Ant Man than Winter Soldier or Infinity War. 
    I was actually thinking about bringing this up after looking at some of the reviews yesterday. I don't understand how RT's fresh/rotten scoring works. There are reviews that give it a 2 (out of 4) score, and RT counts it as a fresh rating. Lots of them are rating it as a "C" grade or a 60 (out of 100) and that counts as a Fresh rating, which I guess technically it is. But then another critic rates it as a "C" grade or a 2/4 grade and it randomly gets a rotten score.

Are some of the critics just trying to have their cake and eat it too by giving out a "meh" grade with a lot of criticism while ultimately rating it Fresh on RT to combat any criticism of themselves for not being a "Rotten Tomatoes Ally," or is this just some convoluted algorithm that RT does itself when deciding whether a review is counted as fresh or rotten?
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle

I was actually thinking about bringing this up after looking at some of the reviews yesterday. I don't understand how RT's fresh/rotten scoring works. There are reviews that give it a 2 (out of 4) score, and RT counts it as a fresh rating. Lots of them are rating it as a "C" grade or a 60 (out of 100) and that counts as a Fresh rating, which I guess technically it is. But then another critic rates it as a "C" grade or a 2/4 grade and it randomly gets a rotten score.

It's essentially pass/fail, so yes, you can have a movie with a score of 95% fresh where most of the reviews are "movie is okay". You can also have a movie at 75% where the majority of the reviews claim it to be the best movie of all time with a few that didn't like it.

Definitely some subjective scoring has to go on to decide what review counts as good or bad, especially if a majority of reviews are somewhere in the middle. What started as a simple site to give you an idea of what kind of reviews a movie was getting has morphed into the social consciousness end-all-be-all of a movies quality and unfortunately is easily manipulated for good or for bad. 

All the Chickens
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco

Are some of the critics just trying to have their cake and eat it too by giving out a "meh" grade with a lot of criticism while ultimately rating it Fresh on RT to combat any criticism of themselves for not being a "Rotten Tomatoes Ally," or is this just some convoluted algorithm that RT does itself when deciding whether a review is counted as fresh or rotten?

If a critic is at all concerned with how their score shows up on Rotten Tomatoes they should not be a critic. I don't think any professional critics care about any of that stuff nearly as much as people think they do unless they're a youtube outrage manufacturer. What kind of pathetic asshole would badger a critic because their review is hurting some meta score for a movie that's going to make hundreds of millions of dollars anyways?

I think you just cracked the code with your cake and eating it to analogy, but that is just my hunch. 

There was one reviewer on rotten tomatoes (I'm paraphrasing here, but its on the site somewhere) that effectively states he should give CM a lower review based on its merits, but he won't to avoid giving incels fuel for their fire. 
  • rhcoop said:

In terms of MCU Rotten Tomato rankings it's ranked 12th out of 21 movies released so far. So very much so middle of the road but not terrible. They put it right in the range of Ant Man, IM3, Cap America 1 (which I would say are mostly enjoyable movies but nothing groundbreaking - although I think Cap 1 is pretty underrated) ... and well above the true clunkers like IM2, Incredible Hulk, and Thor: The Dark World. Of course RT rankings are not the end all -  even those 3 movies I mentioned which I would say are pretty bad get "Fresh" ratings (the lowest MCU movie gets 67%) so I would definitely put these on a curve.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/franchise/marvel_cinematic_universe/

If a critic is at all concerned with how their score shows up on Rotten Tomatoes they should not be a critic. I don't think any professional critics care about any of that stuff nearly as much as people think they do unless they're a youtube outrage manufacturer. What kind of pathetic asshole would badger a critic because their review is hurting some meta score for a movie that's going to make hundreds of millions of dollars anyways?
    Agreed. What kind of pathetic assholes? 

rhcoop
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    What?
    What?
    I was agreeing with you, while also pointing out an example of the aforementioned assholes who take critics to task over their opinions.
    rhcoop
    edited March 7

• Remember though, because the main actress said that she wished the press groups she kept seeing were more diverse, she hates white men and therefore the movie needs to fail. 
    asmallcat said:
    Remember though, because the main actress said that she wished the press groups she kept seeing were more diverse, she hates white men and therefore the movie needs to fail. 
    Most comic fans I know aren't interested in the movie because Carol Danvers is boring as a character and she's being crowbarred in at the end of a 10 year story. 

I think this argument above is way overblown and only a small amount of people are really upset with her. 
  • rhcoop said:
    asmallcat said:
    Remember though, because the main actress said that she wished the press groups she kept seeing were more diverse, she hates white men and therefore the movie needs to fail. 
    Most comic fans I know aren't interested in the movie because Carol Danvers is boring as a character and she's being crowbarred in at the end of a 10 year story. 

I think this argument above is way overblown and only a small amount of people are really upset with her. 
    Ha, try going anywhere with a big community and open comments. Every single post about this movie has people ranting about how the actress hates white men. It's amazing. 
    Landscraping
    asmallcat said:
    rhcoop said:
    asmallcat said:

Ha, try going anywhere with a big community and open comments. Every single post about this movie has people ranting about how the actress hates white men. It's amazing. 
    I think that her comments were overblown in regards to this movie. I also think that she probably could have chosen her words better. 

That said, as far as the critical reviews, this movie certainly isn't being hurt by that controversy. I've seen critics outright say that they really wanted to enjoy this movie because of the "trolls". That doesn't mean that they aren't being sincere in their enjoyment or dislike of the movie, but certainly none of them are going in with a bias *against* it.

Emma, for example, I think really wanted like this movie and it made her even more angry that she didn't enjoy it. 

rhcoopLandscraping
  • asmallcat said:
    rhcoop said:
    asmallcat said:

I follow about 4 comic collecting pages on FB. By far and away it’s mostly posts attacking people who are trolling or negative review-bombing the film. Inside the comments of these posts you’ll see people who are ‘mad’ about her comments regarding reviewers but they seem to be (in my observation anyway) outnumbered. That’s not to say there are some people that are starting posts about how she hates white men but they’ve been getting locked down by admins. I’m also active on the CGC message board (CGC is a comic grading service and the board is populated by comic collectors and dealers) and it’s sort of the same thing there. A handful who are ‘offended’ but mostly it’s guys who are looking forward to the film. They are much more mature than what you find on FB tho.  I don’t pay attention to RT or any other film/ pop-culture pages so I can’t speak to what’s going on there. 
  • Twitter is a cesspool of aggrieved white dude/bro hate for this movie. Then again, it’s Twitter so saying it’s a cesspool of the aggrieved is kind of redundant.

I’ve got tickets with my son for tomorrow evening and hope it’s good. Curious to hear the Baldmove impression tonight also.
    Landscraping