What if Ned took the throne instead of Robert?

I started thinking today how different everything might’ve turned out if Ned day the throne when he walked in on Jamie, like Cersei suggested in season 1 episode 7. You have to think that the Lannisters are pretty much out, Jon is probably revealed to be Rhaegar’s Heir since Robert isn’t king, and Bran is probably still walking and not dreaming of the three eyed raven since they’re not in the north. The only two things I can think of that remain are the white walker making their trek, and Daenerys still coming into power to take back the throne. 

What are some ideas of how different this universe would be had it gone down this way?

Comments

• I think someone like Little Finger, Varys, Tywin, Pycell, etc. would have found a way to use his terminal case of Honor against him. I don’t think Eddard Stark had what it takes to survive in King’s Landing for any length of time.
    Reni
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    That's so out of Ned's character, that it's hard to imagine it or the butterfly effect. Because if Ned's character was to covet and take the power for himself with no real right to it, then who knows how how differently he would act in all of the ensuing situations after that.

-Does he allow Jon's Targaryen aunt and uncle to come back to Westeros, which would certainly change Dany's destiny? If he did, how would he keep the throne knowing that Viserys punk ass is going to eventually try to lead a revolt once he comes of age?
    -Does he attempt to punish Tywin and the Mountain for their part in what they did to Ellia Martell and her children? Robert didn't because of his hatred for Targaryens in thinking that Rhaegar raped and murdered his wife-to-be, and he isn't nearly as honorable when it comes to those matters.

Heck, does Tywin even allow Ned to take the throne without conflict, since the Lannisters are the real financial and military power in the realm? And keep in mind, Ned is already married at that point so Tywin can't marry Cersei to him and become the Hand of King, so Tywin really isn't getting anything out of Ned being on the throne unlike with Robert.
    To me the most intriguing question is what if Ned had stayed in Winterfell and declined Roberts offer for him to be his Hand? That still leaves all of the threats that we know on the board, but changes it all at the same time.

It doesn't change much with Dany through season 4 at least, because although Robert changed his mind about assassinating her on his death bed, it was too late and the attempt was still made (and failed).
    Does everything still go down with Cersei getting Robert killed, and all of the ensuing Joffrey/Tyrion stuff that sends Tyrion across the Narrow sea to Dany?

Without Ned sending the letter to Stannis about the Lannister children being incest bastards, it would have been tough for Stannis to get involved after Roberts death. Then again, Stannis was already in pretty deep with Melisandre when that discovery was made public and she was already whispering sweet nothings about him being the the King. So who knows what he would have done.

It seems like Littlefinger would have still found a way to have the Starks and Lannisters eventually going to war with each other. But what does that war look like with Ned leading instead of Rob? The Red Wedding would not have happened, for sure.
    CeciliaM
  • That's so out of Ned's character, that it's hard to imagine it or the butterfly effect. Because if Ned's character was to covet and take the power for himself with no real right to it, then who knows how how differently he would act in all of the ensuing situations after that.

-Does he allow Jon's Targaryen aunt and uncle to come back to Westeros, which would certainly change Dany's destiny? If he did, how would he keep the throne knowing that Viserys punk ass is going to eventually try to lead a revolt once he comes of age?
    -Does he attempt to punish Tywin and the Mountain for their part in what they did to Ellia Martell and her children? Robert didn't because of his hatred for Targaryens in thinking that Rhaegar raped and murdered his wife-to-be, and he isn't nearly as honorable when it comes to those matters.

Heck, does Tywin even allow Ned to take the throne without conflict, since the Lannisters are the real financial and military power in the realm? And keep in mind, Ned is already married at that point so Tywin can't marry Cersei to him and become the Hand of King, so Tywin really isn't getting anything out of Ned being on the throne unlike with Robert.
    I only thought of it because Cersei tells him he should have done, even though I know he wouldn’t have based on his inner turmoil. 

But, if he had decided that he was the only one who would be a just and noble king, he most certainly would have a different group of people with him. No littlefinger, no Varys, no pycell. And Tywin surely wouldn’t try to over throw another king so quickly after the last one and with a much weaker case behind doing so. With the added knowledge of his mines running dry, and not having the crown to fund most of his endeavors, I don’t see Tywin being much of a force at all. 

Unfornately, that also kinda takes the Lannisters out of the spotlight and Tyrion is much more at risk of being executed by Tywin or at least being banished. 

As as far as Ned inviting Daenerys and Viserys back to Westeros, I don’t think he would based on the fact that the events leading up to him coming to King’s landing to take the throne were the tower of joy and Robert’s battle with Rhaegar. Letting them come back would only put him and his family at more risk because you know they would be salty and if Targaryens are present in Westeros with all the loyalists, upheaval is in his future.  
    That's so out of Ned's character, that it's hard to imagine it or the butterfly effect. Because if Ned's character was to covet and take the power for himself with no real right to it, then who knows how how differently he would act in all of the ensuing situations after that.

I only thought of it because Cersei tells him he should have done, even though I know he wouldn’t have based on his inner turmoil. 

But, if he had decided that he was the only one who would be a just and noble king, he most certainly would have a different group of people with him. No littlefinger, no Varys, no pycell. And Tywin surely wouldn’t try to over throw another king so quickly after the last one and with a much weaker case behind doing so. With the added knowledge of his mines running dry, and not having the crown to fund most of his endeavors, I don’t see Tywin being much of a force at all. 

Unfornately, that also kinda takes the Lannisters out of the spotlight and Tyrion is much more at risk of being executed by Tywin or at least being banished. 

As as far as Ned inviting Daenerys and Viserys back to Westeros, I don’t think he would based on the fact that the events leading up to him coming to King’s landing to take the throne were the tower of joy and Robert’s battle with Rhaegar. Letting them come back would only put him and his family at more risk because you know they would be salty and if Targaryens are present in Westeros with all the loyalists, upheaval is in his future.  
    The thing with Tywin and the Crown is that they had the opposite dynamic. Tywin financed all of the crowns endeavors, not the other way around. Back in season 1, Littlefinger (the master of coin) tells Ned that the crown is 3 million in debt to the Lannisters alone, because they basically paid for everything after Robert took over. And you also have to remember that the rebellion happened 17 years ago, so the Lannisters financial situation was much different back then than when Tywin tells Cersei that they are broke after years of financing the Crown.

That's why Tywin had all the power in picking or allowing a specific person to become King after he showed up in Kings Landing with the Lannister army to take out the Targaryens.
    When Ned would have taken the throne, he would have been surrounded by Lannister soldiers, since those were the only soldiers in KL at that point. 

And sure, Ned would not want Littlefinger on his council, but I'm sure Robert felt the same way initially. Baelish would have been a force to reckon with and likely would have still played both sides to get the Lannisters and Starks to go to war. I mean, even way back then he would have had Lysa Arryn in his back pocket as a pawn to play. He was even eventually able to get Ned to trust him in season 1 before betraying him, so I can't discount the idea that he would have been able to snake his way into the Small Council and climb the ladder.