I ❤️ Captain Marvel

I love Bald Move too and we’re often on the same page (especially A-Ron and me), but I feel like we watched a different movie. I loved Captain Marvel.

I’m going through some heavy personal stuff right now and I’m a child of the 90’s, so this movie is just what I needed. It wasn’t too heavy, it was predictable, but it was also fun. I have a feeling Endgame is going to be more somber at points, so I welcomed a lighter and happier origin story for a character that will probably be the key to Endgame. I also absolutely loved the way they introduced a strong female character that isn’t in love with some other man in the film. The moment where she stands up was empowering and I hope my daughter can watch this someday and feel like she can be a hero too.
hisdudeness915bazjensterLandscrapingShumBloodyTacoBourbonQueenMFGDoubleA_Ronblacksunrise7stevenduran1240and 2 others.

Comments

• It feels too me like Aaron got lost in huge amount of background info that was thrown at the viewers of this movie. I was fine with it because I was already pretty familiar the character and her background. It also seems like he he had higher expectations than was warranted as opposed to Jim who enjoyed it more because he did expect anything from the movie in the first place. I do agree with Aaron about the time of her introduction. In my opinion they should have intro'd her before Infinity War. Take some of the clutter from the movie and save it for a second part. Have her repel the Kree invasion of earth and Jude Law's character escapes with the fleet. Then the second Captain Marvel movie comes at the time this movie did. 
    BourbonQueen
  • BourbonQueenBourbonQueen Dallas, TX
    I saw this last night and was saddened to hear after that they didn’t enjoy it. Normally we are on the same page and I am so glad I didn’t listen to the non-spoiler before I went.  I walked in knowing nothing about Captain Marvel and was skeptical of this movie - I walked out with a huge smile. I absolutely loved this movie. 

Yes, I did call the Jude Law twist (somewhat as he always plays a bad guy). But exactly what - I didn’t know. 

I loved the 90s music. These were all songs that defined the decade and to me brought me into the film and time. I found myself tapping along and laughing at the dial up comical moments because it felt genuine. She’s seen the most advanced technology that going back to what was the norm then would be frustrating, as it would be to any of us to travel back to them and deal with it. However for Fury, it was normal. 

I thought their CG for Fury was amazing. In fact where do I sign up for that?  

aarongallagher
  • @BourbonQueen - yes, all of this. I guess I don’t care that much about predictability. If I want a twist ending or something I don’t expect, I’ll watch something else. If a Marvel movie does it, that’s great too. 
    BourbonQueen
  • Just got out of my 2nd viewing and loved it even more the 2nd time. The original score is crazy good, and something I didn’t pay enough attention to the first time. The track that plays while she wrecks Kree shit out in space is fucking awesome.

The Stan Lee cameo was great, the Kelly Sue DeConnick cameo put tears in my eyes, and the whole story is one of the better origins we’ve had so far in the MCU. These trailers really hid how great Brie Larson was going to be, too. Loved her relationship with the Rambeaus and with Fury. 

Lots of callbacks to 90s movies too like T2: Judgement Day, Independence Day, and even Men In Black a Little with the cat.
    aarongallagherBourbonQueenmariano0454ken hale
  • @RyanReeseman - I felt the same about Brie. The trailers didn’t convince me, but she totally shined. 
    stevenduran1240
  • BenBen Melbourne - Australia
    I saw it and I have to say I agree with Jim, I too felt the music was an absolute mess which felt jarring to me . I think there is a really good movie hiding in there that just wasn't given enough time in post production. It wasn't really for me but I'm glad its resonating with other people. 
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    I thought the Captain Marvel character was very cool. I thought Brie Larson did a fantastic job. And I loved the duo of her and Samuel L Jackson, I definitely want to see more of those two. But the movie overall I thought was just ok. It was a decent origin story movie. Honestly I thought it suffered from super hero movie fatigue. There wasn't anything special about it we haven't seen before. If it was one of the earlier Marvel films, I think it gets more praise. I didn't find anything big I didn't like about but it didn't blow me away either. It was fine, nothing special.
    JTKIIIrustywright4
  • kuman07 said:
    I thought the Captain Marvel character was very cool. I thought Brie Larson did a fantastic job. And I loved the duo of her and Samuel L Jackson, I definitely want to see more of those two. But the movie overall I thought was just ok. It was a decent origin story movie. Honestly I thought it suffered from super hero movie fatigue. There wasn't anything special about it we haven't seen before. If it was one of the earlier Marvel films, I think it gets more praise. I didn't find anything big I didn't like about but it didn't blow me away either. It was fine, nothing special.

Similar reaction. My biggest issue was with them making the Skrull the extra evil bad guys until they needed them to be the extra sympathetic good guys just for plot sake. They clearly have no qualms about killing, the head Skrull guy even says "not yet" when one of his lackeys goes to shoot Capt Marvell when she starts to break free. The implication being we need to finish scrubbing her brain clean via this extra invasive procedure then you can kill her whenever you want.

Agreed the character is cool. Kinda like Thor with the fish-out-of-water theme, but clearly has much more street smarts about various situations. Never really felt like she was in any danger though. Didn't seem like she really had any obstacles to overcome other than remembering what happened. Hopefully in Endgame and beyond she has some setbacks and things to overcome to grow the character. She needs some Thor:Ragnarok level problems where she may or may not win.

• Captain Marvel's Odium Cocktail: This looks fun! 
    If only I had a smoker.
    redlancer
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited March 28
    Hot new theory:

We know from Capt Marvel that Nick Fury insists *everyone* calls him Fury; his mom, kids, employers/ees, strangers, etc. They go so far as to use it for him to know when something isn't on the up & up in the movie.

Was watching Infinity War yesterday, and in the after-credits scene, Maria Hill and Nick Fury are driving down the street when The Snap™ happens. In that scene she calls him 'Nick' 2 or 3 times but never Fury...

Agent Hill Skrull confirmed!   :)

aarongallagherBloodyTacoLandscrapingDoctor_NickCoryken hale
  • Finally found time to see the movie! I generally liked it, but it felt like there were some editing choices that needed to change. I agree with the guys that the music was distracting. While I do like how Carole handles the realization that she has nothing to prove to Jude (no idea what the character name is, which was another problem), it was anti-climatic bc it was built up as a second climax. The villian needs to be well-developed to have a good conflict. The montage of Carole literally standing up was too on the nose, for me. Finally, I really thought Carole came off flat emotionally. It’s like Fury and Rambo and the Skrull were at a 7 or 8, and Bree was at a 5. Maybe a side effect of amnesia, but I didn’t get a strong personality vibe. Like she’s a wise-ass, but nothing deeper. 

But it despite those negatives, I enjoyed the film. It was a lot of fun. In a way, it reminded me of a more modern (197x) Superman movie that could be enjoyed by parents and kids. For that reason, I think I may have gone into the movie expecting a more gritty film. I liked what they did with the Skrulls and I thought Sam carried much of the film. I liked Captain Marvel, I just didn’t like Carole Danvers. 
    majjam0770
  • Just got out of my 2nd viewing and loved it even more the 2nd time. The original score is crazy good, and something I didn’t pay enough attention to the first time. The track that plays while she wrecks Kree shit out in space is fucking awesome.

The Stan Lee cameo was great, the Kelly Sue DeConnick cameo put tears in my eyes, and the whole story is one of the better origins we’ve had so far in the MCU. These trailers really hid how great Brie Larson was going to be, too. Loved her relationship with the Rambeaus and with Fury. 

Lots of callbacks to 90s movies too like T2: Judgement Day, Independence Day, and even Men In Black a Little with the cat.
    The score really made an impression on me the second viewing, too!  I don't really have the vernacular to describe music, but it reminded me of John Carpenter or maybe Stranger Things, at least in some scenes.

I'm reading some of the criticisms of particular scenes, and I don't really get it.  This movie was great.