Does anyone have solar panels on their roof? Opinions valued.

CoryCory New Scotland
I'm considering having them installed as my province is currently offering a substantial rebate (nearly a quarter of the cost).

1. It's estimated I could produce 101% of my annual power consumption.
  2. Currently, with financing it would cost me about $37.26 more per month than I currently pay for power.  However that would never increase, and power rates absolutely will.
  3. The excess I create in the summer months will be credited me, and in the winter when my consumption exceeds my production I draw from those credits.  If I have an excess at the end of the year, the power company will cut me a cheque for it.  If I exceed my production, I would have to pay them for the extra.
For anyone interested, or curious.

FAQ

Can hail damage my solar panels ?

No, tier 1 solar panels come with fibreglass protection which can withstand hail at over 200kmph. Hail can never pass 170kmph due to friction, melting, and the viscosity of the wind.

Do my panels need maintenance ?
Solar panels have no moving parts, unlike the engine in your car, panels do not require any maintenance.

Will snow effect my panels production ?
Yes, but only between 1 - 3% a year. The panels heat up and melt the snow off so there is no need to get on your roof at all unless you think the lemon is worth the squeeze.

What happens to my home value ?
Solar panels are one of the few appreciating assets you can buy. This is because as the price of electricity goes up your system and home will be worth even more.

Comments

• Here is a great tool from Google for calculating your possible output using Google Earth: https://www.google.com/get/sunroof#p=0

I am not big on government interference but I am a huge proponent in making government subsidized solar roof tiles and Powerwalls for all and making them mandatory on all new houses. Clean sustainable energy is in the national interest. Even if you are in a shaded area like me the powerwall allows you to download energy in off peak hours late at night to use later. It also allows you to have the equivalent of a home generator during storms. A home generator can run you $2,000 - $10,000.

The current problem is the expense, that is why there should be government subsidies. You tell a homeowner that they can install this to their house and make it back in 20 years it's a big nope from most of them. I've seen videos of people that say that the break even point is rapidly going down to under 10 years but the initial investment is huge. The roof tiles that Tesla makes look incredible, indistinguishable from normal roof tiles except from directly above you can see the solar cells. Unless you are trying to impress pilots that shouldn't be a problem. They are currently extremely expensive and the waitlist is long for installation.

You could transform a country if a majority of buildings are using less energy off the grid.

• kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited March 11
    The panels might not require maintenance but the other parts do. We just got ours fixed after being down about a month or two. 

Also the car company Tesla has bought the company that we use. I don’t know if that really makes a difference. It’s just something I noticed.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    kingbee67 said:
    The panels might not require maintenance but the other parts do. We just got ours fixed after being down about a month or two. 
    Such as the invertor?
  • Cory said:
    I'm considering having them installed as my province is currently offering a substantial rebate (nearly a quarter of the cost).

1. It's estimated I could produce 101% of my annual power consumption.
    2. Currently, with financing it would cost me about $37.26 more per month than I currently pay for power.  However that would never increase, and power rates absolutely will.
    3. The excess I create in the summer months will be credited me, and in the winter when my consumption exceeds my production I draw from those credits.  If I have an excess at the end of the year, the power company will cut me a cheque for it.  If I exceed my production, I would have to pay them for the extra.
    For anyone interested, or curious.

FAQ

Can hail damage my solar panels ?

No, tier 1 solar panels come with fibreglass protection which can withstand hail at over 200kmph. Hail can never pass 170kmph due to friction, melting, and the viscosity of the wind.

Do my panels need maintenance ?
    Solar panels have no moving parts, unlike the engine in your car, panels do not require any maintenance.

Will snow effect my panels production ?
    Yes, but only between 1 - 3% a year. The panels heat up and melt the snow off so there is no need to get on your roof at all unless you think the lemon is worth the squeeze.

What happens to my home value ?
    Solar panels are one of the few appreciating assets you can buy. This is because as the price of electricity goes up your system and home will be worth even more.

We had a massive hailstorm last summer (2+ inch hail) and driving around I definitely saw quite a few damaged solar panels.
  •  Definitely do your research on your power companies buyback program because unless you have a battery big enough to support your house for 2 to 3 days, you are going to waste usable power and not every power company buys your power back at the same rate, this is probably the most important factor in determining the value of solar panels.

I would contact a few people who have had panels in your area for sometime and make sure they get their money because these power companies have a way of making sure they get theirs, not trying to be negative, as a licensed electrician I actually would recommend you doing this  especially if you get over 200 days of sunlight a year...

Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions about the electrical installation, I also used to design lithium-ion batteries also so that’s something to look into as well, I believe tesla has a whole house battery made especially for this type of secondary/green energy use 
    Kate23
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Thanks, I'll look into that.  Unfortunately there is only one power company in the province.
  • Cory said:
    Thanks, I'll look into that.  Unfortunately there is only one power company in the province.
     Yeah power companies don’t care much about trust busting or keeping the country monopoly free…

What’s really crazy is that a church in Greensboro paid a small time electrical company (NC WARN) to install solar panels and get off the grid, the idea is they would pay the electrical company what they were paying the power company for their electric bill, but at a fraction of the cost,

Duke sues the church and NC WARN (the solar company) and the appellate court sided with the power company! Forever cementing power company monopolies in at least NC