TWD: S9E13 Chokepoint

Im ready for the Beta origin story. Fingers crossed.
Naugustine

Comments

• The highway men?! Lol... Did Gimple write this episode??? Talk about deflating any kind of tension with the Whisperer plot-line.
    Pangs
  • Yeahaha the highway men..interesting twist of events with them I guess, but the beta fight was totally awesome. 
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    edited March 11
    The highway men?! Lol... Did Gimple write this episode??? Talk about deflating any kind of tension with the Whisperer plot-line.
    Gimple wants to make everything slow and epic; he's not a generic placeholder for everything one doesn't like.(ETA: Sorry if that sounds in any way harsh.) I don't see how some comedy taking place by the Kingdom takes away from the life or death struggle with no hope of assistance somewhere else. IMO the highwaymen fit with the general turn the show has taken, which seems more comic book like (in general, not TWD comics in particular). Pretty sure the Whisperers didn't have "fighting units" in TWD comics, for ex.

---

Can we time jump to when Daryl knows sign language? Please?
    rustywright4
  • sbench2sbench2 Ontario
    how many storeys did that guy fall before he got up and walked away no problem? 3-4?
    blue_sleevePangs
  • sbench2 said:
    how many storeys did that guy fall before he got up and walked away no problem? 3-4?
    walked away no problem? You can tell that Beta was hurting bad, there's a good chance he broke at the very least a few rips, he's going to need some recovery time and a protein shake, and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him until the finale again. 
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited March 11
    The highway men?! Lol... Did Gimple write this episode??? Talk about deflating any kind of tension with the Whisperer plot-line.
    My initial reaction was similar, but liked the outcome. The movie thing was played for laughs, but does raise some interesting philosophical questions about what has value in a post-apocolyse pre-new-civilization. There starts to be options other than give us all your stuff or die. Having Carol bring it up I have to believe was intentional as she is the person who usually goes for kill-first ask-questions-later approach.

Pretty sure those characters will serve a purpose in the overall plot of the season, and actually answers a few questions for me about how they were going to do some of the things from the whisperer plot.

And as mentioned, thumbs up on the Daryl fight. So much better than the negan-rick fight from last season. Great set, shot well, all the things. 

Wish the boys still covered the show....

blue_sleevejleav382rustywright4
  • edited March 11
    redlancer said:
    My initial reaction was similar, but liked the outcome. The movie thing was played for laughs, but does raise some interesting philosophical questions about what has value in a post-apocolyse pre-new-civilization. There starts to be options other than give us all your stuff or die. Having Carol bring it up I have to believe was intentional as she is the person who usually goes for kill-first ask-questions-later approach.

Pretty sure those characters will serve a purpose in the overall plot of the season, and actually answers a few questions for me about how they were going to do some of the things from the whisperer plot.

And as mentioned, thumbs up on the Daryl fight. So much better than the negan-rick fight from last season. Great set, shot well, all the things. 

You know you're absolutely right about the fight comparison, frankly I find the whisperers far better than any villain we've ever had even Negan for the most part. They are just far more interesting to watch for some reason. Maybe it's just Ryan Hurst really playing up the beta role as a badass. We should really push for the boys to do a Bald Move TV season overview or something because honestly so far, this is the best walking dead since Season 1 in my opinion. I have had very few complaints this season. For the first time in a long time I actually want to go back to watch these episodes, it's been years since walking dead has elicited that feeling in me. 
  • mtron32mtron32 San Diego
    redlancer said:

maybe we can do a bald move group donation to have them run through the season like they do with Stranger Things.  I'd toss in for that
    jleav382
    Loved the Highway Men, it's adding to the western feel of the show now and I dig westerns.
    lengmo
  • I am good with the highwaymen for a couple few reasons...

1. Angus Sampson is on this show now and that is fucking rad
    2. Whisperer conflict is gonna need some extra grist for the mill
    3. Conflict resolution was played somewhat for laughs and as said above they have to show us more than just killing every new group. They have now assessed and assimilated two groups this season, TWO!
    4. I get the sense that these guys aren't from the area and have rolled into town recently, thus will be the connective           tissue to either
                 A. The movies (I'm listening)
                 B. Fear TWD (this would be unfortunate) 
  • Ryan Hurst is real good at being large and tough
    Landscraping
    Byrdie said:
    Ryan Hurst is real good at being large and tough
    I didn't know who that was under the mask but I kept thinking of that actor from SOA.  Glad he's in the show
  • mtron32 said:
    Byrdie said:
    I didn't know who that was under the mask but I kept thinking of that actor from SOA.  Glad he's in the show
    Yea between him and Angus Sampson they have pulled in some top level TV talent for at least this arc. Do we know if they have improved the budget or are do they just have more funds after not having to pay Andy and LAuren?
    Kela15rustywright4
  • Byrdie said:

He was one of the 'nice guys' on SOA and he was still scary.

Now as beta he's extra scary. Thought they had actually killed him off the show after the fight, glad he's back and now extra pissed in addition to extra scary. Ready for Beta v Daryl round 2.

• I get that some folks are nitpicking him surviving the fall but dude, if they killed him off after two appearances I'd have been pissed off.  
  • Byrdie said:
    I get that some folks are nitpicking him surviving the fall but dude, if they killed him off after two appearances I'd have been pissed off.  
    I've heard of people that have survived sky diving without a shoot for hells sake, I think it is within the realm of possibility that he survived, plus maybe the walker mask provides some cushion for the fall. 
  • If I had to nitpick, it would be about Daryl not shooting a crossbow arrow into Beta's head for good measure

(as a matter of fact, he could have done that even when Beta had not even entered the building yet)
    Pangs
  • If I had to nitpick, it would be about Daryl not shooting a crossbow arrow into Beta's head for good measure

(as a matter of fact, he could have done that even when Beta had not even entered the building yet)
    The double tap is a fair point, but did Daryl even know what beta looked like at that point? Beta was not at the hilltop confrontation in the previous episode. 
  • I had totally noped out of this show at the end of season 8 but the whisperers brought me back in. There’s still some head scratchers but overall I think the show is so much better without the ricktator being around. 

I’d pitch in some copper as well to get the boys to do some sort of coverage. 
  • jleav382 said:
    If I had to nitpick, it would be about Daryl not shooting a crossbow arrow into Beta's head for good measure

The double tap is a fair point, but did Daryl even know what beta looked like at that point? Beta was not at the hilltop confrontation in the previous episode. 

Well, he could have asked the girl. They had a brief conversation about Beta, so Daryl knew she could tell him which one to aim for

(or he could have just guessed it must be the giant badass-looking zombie).

Pangs

beta would have just grabbed a door and blocked it. One of his superpowers is to know when to rip a door off the wall and use as a shield. In the case of the elevator shaft he would have ripped the elevator doors off and used those.

lengmo
    redlancer said:
    If I had to nitpick, it would be about Daryl not shooting a crossbow arrow into Beta's head for good measure

beta would have just grabbed a door and blocked it. One of his superpowers is to know when to rip a door off the wall and use as a shield. In the case of the elevator shaft he would have ripped the elevator doors off and used those.

That was a pretty good move with the "breaching door."  I love that this dude has totally bought into the Whisperer philosophy
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    edited March 12
    Daryl has to weigh losing an arrow* (or the time involved in finding heavy objects to drop) on someone who is likely dead versus getting while the getting is good.  Henry has an injury which will slow them down; Daryl doesn't know how many other groups of Whisperers are out looking for them.  In the future Daryl will know to shoot the tall zombie first if they meet again.

* Arrows would not be wasted even if Daryl can make more; right now he can't stop and do that.  Aside: I'm glad that after the time jump we're finally in the "all the easy supplies have been scavenged and used" phase of the ZA. 

• edited March 13
    Tmtron32 said:
    redlancer said:

That was a pretty good move with the "breaching door."  I love that this dude has totally bought into the Whisperer philosophy
    Agreed, it was a clever move. Since I haven't seen any jokes about this on the thread yet I'm just gonna throw this out there...whisperer "rising from the dead" so to speak. None of us honestly thought he died right, but they certainly play it that way. Kind of poetic in a way right? It seems consistent with the "you'll always be one of us, but soon you'll be one of them." in the sense that the whisperers never die. Sort of as if their religion gives them a "second life". I would settle for an Aaron and cecli podcast too. 
  • Just dropped in on this episode after a few years away... what happened to the show? The characters and plots are even more ludicrous than ever, but there's... stuff... that happens. Instead of people staring meaningfully into the distance for 42 minutes. It was genuinely entertaining to watch.
  • Also noticed that the weird mullet guy isn't around any more. What episode do I have to jump to to watch him get murdered?
    jleav382 said:
    Tmtron32 said:
    redlancer said:

Agreed, it was a clever move. Since I haven't seen any jokes about this on the thread yet I'm just gonna throw this out there...whisperer "rising from the dead" so to speak. None of us honestly thought he died right, but they certainly play it that way. Kind of poetic in a way right? It seems consistent with the "you'll always be one of us, but soon you'll be one of them." in the sense that the whisperers never die. Sort of as if their religion gives them a "second life". I would settle for an Aaron and cecli podcast too. 
    I was curious too, I was hoping they actually went to the point of the whisperers retaining a certain level of consciousness post turn.
  • sbench2sbench2 Ontario
    Also noticed that the weird mullet guy isn't around any more. What episode do I have to jump to to watch him get murdered?
    He’s still around. But not very often so far
  • jleav382 said:

Or instead of an extra arrow he could have just dumped a bunch of stuff down the elevator shaft table saw, chairs etc to at least trap him until he bled out but yeah, too soon to kill him off 
    Pangs
  • I liked the way the highwaymen turned out. In particular, the fact that there wasn't some crazy murderous conflict. They turned a potential enemy into an ally, all with the promise of movies :D