HBO reveals length for first two episodes. Update: All episodes

All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
edited March 15 in Game of Thrones
Episode 1- 54 minutes
Episode 2- 58 minutes

So, exactly average run time on each episode, which makes sense being that these are going to be setup episodes. I believe the last 4 are still reported to be 70-85 minutes each, but considering these first two episode lengths (one-third of the season) I would have assumed that HBO execs would have gotten ahead of the "feature length film" runtime rumors to temper expectations.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/11/game-of-thrones-season-8-episodes

UPDATE: the rest of the episode information is available as well, although I'm very much hoping it's a "Subject to change" thing....

If you change the number at the end of the urls, you can discover the runtimes for each of the final six episodes of the show.

https://winteriscoming.net/2019/03/11/runtimes-every-episode-game-thrones-season-8-revealed/

**UPDATE on Mach 15th: Game of Thrones has officially revealed the run times. All of the episode runtimes we had are accurate, but the 3rd episode that appeared to be 60 minutes is actually 82 minutes, making it the longest episode instead of the 3rd shortest episode. So, cool cool.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/15/game-of-thrones-final-season-episode-lengths/

Season 8, episode 1
Debut date: SUNDAY, APRIL 14 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
Estimated running time: 0:54

Season 8, episode 2
Debut date: SUNDAY, APRIL 21 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
Estimated running time: 0:58

Season 8, episode 3
Debut date: SUNDAY, APRIL 28 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
Estimated running time: 1:22

Season 8, episode 4
Debut date: SUNDAY, MAY 5 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
Estimated running time: 1:18

Season 8, episode 5
Debut date: SUNDAY, MAY 12 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
Estimated running time: 1:20

Season 8, episode 6
Debut date: SUNDAY, MAY 19 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
Flukes

Comments

•  i could just watch Jon walking thru winterfell for like 10 mins and it be cool with me. So a little odd they're not longer. lol

PeggyB
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    BroRad33 said:

i could just watch Jon walking thru winterfell for like 10 mins and it be cool with me. So a little odd they're not longer. lol

I was thinking about that. While I get that there is certainly the "ADD/ADHD" segment of the fanbase who start losing interest when there isn't something dramatic or exhilarating going on the screen, there are plenty of of us that will basically watch anything that adds to the character or world-building. I could watch an extra 10 minutes of just Bran telling Sam the real truth about some part of ancient Westerosi history and lore, or even a conversation with Jon and Arya catching up on the highlights of their adventures since they each left Winterfell (which we know will be off-screen, and thus will spark debate of whether Arya knows about Jons death or Jon knows about Arya being a faceless assassin).

I really hope parts of the story don't feel rushed later in the season, because there won't be a way to justify that considering the time they left on the table in these first two episodes.
    BroRad33Elisa
    Welp, the rest of the episode information is available as well.

If you change the number at the end of the urls, you can discover the runtimes for each of the final six episodes of the show.

https://winteriscoming.net/2019/03/11/runtimes-every-episode-game-thrones-season-8-revealed/
    MurderbearElisa
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    I honestly haven't been too concerned with the episode lengths. Just make it good, however short or long that might be.
    calebthrowerNoelElisa
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I hope he has a knife up that sleeve! Perfect position for a stabbing!
    hisdudeness915Kate23
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    @Murderbear it looks like she may have something in her left hand
    Murderbear
    @Murderbear it looks like she may have something in her left hand

FlukesMurderbearNoelKate23CeciliaMTeresa from ConcordElisa
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Yeah it does. And the longer I look at that picture, something is weird about his left arm. It's the last bit right before her neck. Something about the armor and whatever that section is looks really strange to me.
    edited March 11
    I just assumed that was a cool photoshopped fan edit? I saw someone post it on social media earlier today on a fan page, but I haven't seen where GOT or HBO's social media teams have released it.
    Murderbear
    edited March 15
    Aaaannnnnnd, Game of Thrones has officially revealed the run times. The first two episode runtimes that we had are accurate, but the 3rd episode appeared to be 60 minutes is actually 82 minutes, making it the longest episode instead of the 3rd shortest episode. 

https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/15/game-of-thrones-final-season-episode-lengths/

Season 8, episode 1
    Debut date: SUNDAY, APRIL 14 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
    Estimated running time: 0:54

Season 8, episode 2
    Debut date: SUNDAY, APRIL 21 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
    Estimated running time: 0:58

Season 8, episode 3
    Debut date: SUNDAY, APRIL 28 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
    Estimated running time: 1:22

Season 8, episode 4
    Debut date: SUNDAY, MAY 5 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)
    Estimated running time: 1:18

Season 8, episode 5
    Debut date: SUNDAY, MAY 12 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)

Season 8, episode 6
    Debut date: SUNDAY, MAY 19 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT)

hisdudeness915letrbuck2006Elisa
  • Is Game of Thrones doing a split final season (like Breaking Bad did) or are these really the final eight episodes?
    Teletype said:
    Is Game of Thrones doing a split final season (like Breaking Bad did) or are these really the final eight episodes?
    These are the final *6* episodes. Before filming season 7, the showrunners stated that they only had around 13 episodes worth of story material left. 

HBO begged the showrunners for more episodes/seasons, but they stuck to their guns, so season 7 only had 7 episodes aand season 8 is only 6 episodes. 
    TeletypeKate23
  • Thanks Chickens.  Wow, that really does sound like the final season will be a rush job.  Seems like there's still a lot of ground to cover?  Season 7 already felt very rushed to me (also a big drop in quality, imo, without the GRRM books as guide..the dialog especially suffered) but it was also exciting to see all the pieces finally coming into place.  
    Teletype said:
    Thanks Chickens.  Wow, that really does sound like the final season will be a rush job.  Seems like there's still a lot of ground to cover?  Season 7 already felt very rushed to me (also a big drop in quality, imo, without the GRRM books as guide..the dialog especially suffered) but it was also exciting to see all the pieces finally coming into place.  
    They spent 2 years filming these 6 episodes, so it's definitely not a rush. One episode from this season took several months to film. The battle scenes took 11 weeks worth of night shots. What they put the actors, extras and directors through just to produce this season should deserve some sort of award.
    gguenot
  • Yeah it does. And the longer I look at that picture, something is weird about his left arm. It's the last bit right before her neck. Something about the armor and whatever that section is looks really strange to me.
    I think he is going in for the strangle and they’ve photoshopped it out