Canadian Political Scandal?!?!

I didn't even know such a thing could happen but apparently there is a big Canadian Political Scandal to do with corruption, female cabinet members and indigenous affairs!! I knew Canadians were secretly evil...

I heard about it on today's Post Reports...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/podcasts/post-reports/?utm_term=.7400f6769f1c

Comments

  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Where’s @CretanBull and @Flukes? Explain it to us like we’re five, guys. (Well, me anyway - I know nowt about Canadian politics other than your PM is kinda hot if you go for that frat boy thing.) 
    CeciliaM
  • Dee said:
    Where’s @CretanBull and @Flukes? Explain it to us like we’re five, guys. (Well, me anyway - I know nowt about Canadian politics other than your PM is kinda hot if you go for that frat boy thing.) 
    You're not going to like him any more after you hear about this!
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @CeciliaM That’s ok, the frat boy thing isn’t my cup of tea anyway. :-)
  • Does a Canadian scandal end with everyone saying "Sorry" ?
    DeeCeciliaMCretanBull
  • I just noticed this now...will reply later tonight when I'm at home.  In short, it's a pretty lame scandal.
    CeciliaM
  • edited March 14
    Trudeau's been pretty careful not to apologize. But he also can't accuse the first female indigenous Justice Minister of any kind of ambition or deception, so there's a whole lot of talk about how she just has a "different truth."

    The thing he's being accused of is pretty murky. Jody Wilson-Raybould has confirmed 'anonymous sources' saying that the PMO repeatedly brought up the using a new law to make a deal with a Quebec company (SNC-Lavalin) charged with foreign corruption. Using this legislation would allow them to avoid being banned bidding on government contracts for the next decade, which could have a big effect on jobs in Quebec and is therefore a political hot potato. She felt that the way they brought it up constituted pressure on her, which she says was inappropriate. It's murky because she was both the AG, in which capacity her decisions should not be subject to interference from the PMO, and the Justice Minister, which is a political job that necessarily involves discussing issues like this with Trudeau and his Cabinet. One thing that some people including JWR have proposed is separating these two roles to avoid such problems in the future.
    CretanBullA_Ron_Hubbard
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited March 15
    ^ That's it in a nutshell.  I'd only add that there's another layer of impropriety give that SNC-Lavalin is closely tied to the Liberal Party, so there's the impression (probably true) that the Liberals are looking out for their own.  The implications of Jody Wilson-Raybould being a First Nations woman probably isn't well understood by most. Trudeau has a complicated relationship with Canada's First Nations people.  On the surface he's very supportive (he's got a First Nations tattoo on his arm) and talks a good talk.  In reality, the Liberals have fallen well short of their promises to that community.  That tension has more or less tied his hands because there are people who are just waiting to pounce on him if he says anything at all that might come across as being dismissive of a First Nation's woman....and he's in a position where he can't defend himself without being dismisse of her.  That's what's lead to what @alexander.klassen has said about Trudeau saying that they have "different truths" etc
  • sbench2sbench2 Ontario
    It’s not even close to the scandal south of the border. Nothing done has actually been claimed to be illegal, just shady. 
    Also, JWR testified the same day as Michael Cohen teatified live to congress so it was kind of overshadowed. 
  • ^Yup, no laws broken - just the perception of impropriety (which matters IMO).
  • sbench2 said:
    It’s not even close to the scandal south of the border. Nothing done has actually been claimed to be illegal, just shady. 
    Also, JWR testified the same day as Michael Cohen teatified live to congress so it was kind of overshadowed. 
    Well obviously we're better at scandals... Lol
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Wow, Canadanian political scandals are almost as boring as Australian political scandals! 
    Flukes
  • Dee said:
    Wow, Canadanian political scandals are almost as boring as Australian political scandals! 
    I'm watching a show on Netflix right now where an Australian government minister is secretly working for the Chinese, she calls people up on some kind of secret internet channel and speaks a Chinese-sounding language, it's quite adorable because she's a middle-aged tiny, kind of roly poly blonde woman lol
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Dee said:
    Wow, Canadanian political scandals are almost as boring as Australian political scandals! 
    Our Prime Minister may have grabbed someone's butt 18 years ago. Is that exciting?
  • Hunkulese said:
    Dee said:
    Wow, Canadanian political scandals are almost as boring as Australian political scandals! 
    Our Prime Minister may have grabbed someone's butt 18 years ago. Is that exciting?
    It got Al Franken fired...
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Hunkulese said:
    Dee said:
    Wow, Canadanian political scandals are almost as boring as Australian political scandals! 
    Our Prime Minister may have grabbed someone's butt 18 years ago. Is that exciting?
    I’m excited by that.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    CeciliaM said:
    Dee said:
    Wow, Canadanian political scandals are almost as boring as Australian political scandals! 
    I'm watching a show on Netflix right now where an Australian government minister is secretly working for the Chinese, she calls people up on some kind of secret internet channel and speaks a Chinese-sounding language, it's quite adorable because she's a middle-aged tiny, kind of roly poly blonde woman lol
    What show is this? 
  • Dee said:
    Hunkulese said:
    Dee said:
    Wow, Canadanian political scandals are almost as boring as Australian political scandals! 
    Our Prime Minister may have grabbed someone's butt 18 years ago. Is that exciting?
    I’m excited by that.
    His mum cheated on his dad with a member of the Rolling Stones.  That do anything for ya? :)
    Flukes
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    edited March 15
    I wish I'd been in here instead of watching more of Leaving Neverland. Not good for the ole emotional state.

    I'll just say a couple things.

    Every time the Liberal party gets caught in something like this, it scatters the progressive vote and we end up enduring Stephen Blair or some other conservative Android for a while.
     
    SNC Lavalin is one of my employer's customers so I should be careful. Let me put it this way: They have a 30 year contract to manage a property they built for a public entity. No, that is not common.
    Dee
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited March 15
    edit: <was looking at phone and walked into the wrong room> sup @CretanBull! shout out maple syrup! B)
    CretanBullCeciliaM
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Dee said:
    Hunkulese said:
    Dee said:
    Wow, Canadanian political scandals are almost as boring as Australian political scandals! 
    Our Prime Minister may have grabbed someone's butt 18 years ago. Is that exciting?
    I’m excited by that.
    His mum cheated on his dad with a member of the Rolling Stones.  That do anything for ya? :)
    I’m side eyeing anyone who would bonk one of those cryptkeepers. 
    CretanBull
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Chinaski said:
    kinda funny they made their kids go to a school their dad 'went to'.

    Wrong thread or are you throwing down for some Santa Cruz- Canada beef? 
    ChinaskiCretanBullCeciliaM
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Dee said:
    Chinaski said:
    kinda funny they made their kids go to a school their dad 'went to'.

    Wrong thread or are you throwing down for some Santa Cruz- Canada beef? 
    haha see my 'edit'. however, 'Santa Cruz- Canada beef'. that sounds like an awesome sandwich at the sandwich spot i don't own!
    DeeCretanBull
  • Dee said:
    CeciliaM said:
    Dee said:
    Wow, Canadanian political scandals are almost as boring as Australian political scandals! 
    I'm watching a show on Netflix right now where an Australian government minister is secretly working for the Chinese, she calls people up on some kind of secret internet channel and speaks a Chinese-sounding language, it's quite adorable because she's a middle-aged tiny, kind of roly poly blonde woman lol
    What show is this? 
    Secret City
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    CeciliaM said:
    Dee said:
    CeciliaM said:
    Dee said:
    Wow, Canadanian political scandals are almost as boring as Australian political scandals! 
    I'm watching a show on Netflix right now where an Australian government minister is secretly working for the Chinese, she calls people up on some kind of secret internet channel and speaks a Chinese-sounding language, it's quite adorable because she's a middle-aged tiny, kind of roly poly blonde woman lol
    What show is this? 
    Secret City
    Well I need to hand back my Australian passport because I’ve never heard of this show! 
    CeciliaM
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I was gonna make fun of how weak a Canadian scandal could be. Then I remember that Rob Ford guy (I think that was his name) anyway he was busted with crack or something. That was a respectable scandal. Good job Canucks you guys could sink into the mud just as deep as your freaky southern neighbors.
    CeciliaM
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    kingbee67 said:
    I was gonna make fun of how weak a Canadian scandal could be. Then I remember that Rob Ford guy (I think that was his name) anyway he was busted with crack or something. That was a respectable scandal. Good job Canucks you guys could sink into the mud just as deep as your freaky southern neighbors.
    His younger stupider brother Doug is now in charge of Ontario. He's already making boneheaded decisions. Only a matter of time until a juicy scandal is unveiled.
    kingbee67CretanBullCeciliaMFlukes
  • kingbee67 said:
    I was gonna make fun of how weak a Canadian scandal could be. Then I remember that Rob Ford guy (I think that was his name) anyway he was busted with crack or something. That was a respectable scandal. Good job Canucks you guys could sink into the mud just as deep as your freaky southern neighbors.
    Yeah, he was pretty fat too. Nothing better than a fat crackhead!
Sign In or Register to comment.