American Gods Season 2

CoryCory New Scotland
I haven't started season 2 yet, so please no spoilers, but how has this season been?  I'm a bit worried about the quality.

Comments

• I’ve really enjoyed the 1st 2 episodes. They stand up to quality and enjoyment of last season so far 
    Cory
  • Yeah, I also think it's as good as S1 so far!
    Cory
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    As far as I remember they're now making quite a few changes from the original version of the novel that I remember.  Will be interesting to see where they go with it.  
  • The show has felt slow for the last couple of episodes. It's reminding me of The Walking Dead farm/prison arcs. I think part of the problem is it's spending too much time jumping around between too many separated characters. There was no team Mr. World at all in the most recent episode. A show shouldn't ignore important characters for episodes at a time. Why the focus on Talking Head on a Stick ghost? Ain't nobody got time for that, we're supposed to be in the middle of a war.

Emily Browning is a chain smoker IRL. It's funny, in the most recent episode, I noticed she randomly lights a cigarette in the background and starts smoking "in character". New game: count the number of times Emily Browning smokes a cigarette in American Gods.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    They've added a lot on to the African/American/Black gods and the issues of their people from what I remember in the novel.
  • Strange. They just dropped Shadow's arc with the decapitated ghost from the previous episode. I guess that's finished now?

Shadow being Wednesday's son was teased a few times.

We got to see Telephone Boy. Maybe this is setting up the thing mentioned in the podcast, of Technical Boy coming out of the Poké Ball in an evolved form. But what's more advanced than Technical Boy? And interestingly, we see Wednesday working with the New Gods in these flashbacks.
    Elisa
  • After all that time they spent repairing the spear....

And no sign of Team Mr. World in this episode, again.
    DaveyMacElisa
  • This week’s episode “Treasure of the Sun” rivals “A Prayer for Mad Sweeney” as my favorite of the series. And both are centered on Sweeney. 
    telephoneofmadnessElisa
  • @Cecily ;

You were right about Columbia going west!!  She was going to team up with Donar to do the whole “Manifest Destiny” thing which ultimately flared out with the Morman’s and was all sort of rounded up into Utah and Northern Arizona...perhaps Catholicism would not be so prevalent in the Southwest had they followed through with their plan...

BTW there is an amazing book by Stewart Udall about how the west was actually settled by years of Mormans and Native Americans working hard through toil and compromise to make a life together...and how the whole “lone cowboy” idealism is complete bullshit and did nothing to help settle the west...the book is called “The Forgotten Founders”
    telephoneofmadnessElisaDaveyMac
  • It seemed years later than the times of manifest destiny during that burlesque show.  Columbia's manifest destiny time had already come and gone (replaced by Lady Liberty).

@Cecily ;

You were right about Columbia going west!!  She was going to team up with Donar to do the whole “Manifest Destiny” thing which ultimately flared out with the Morman’s and was all sort of rounded up into Utah and Northern Arizona...perhaps Catholicism would not be so prevalent in the Southwest had they followed through with their plan...

BTW there is an amazing book by Stewart Udall about how the west was actually settled by years of Mormans and Native Americans working hard through toil and compromise to make a life together...and how the whole “lone cowboy” idealism is complete bullshit and did nothing to help settle the west...the book is called “The Forgotten Founders”
    The problem with this show is that I don't much care about Shadow Moon or Laura.  I certainly wasn't very happy with what the patsy Shadow Moon did to Mad Sweeney.
  • edited April 28
    It seemed years later than the times of manifest destiny during that burlesque show.  Columbia's manifest destiny time had already come and gone (replaced by Lady Liberty).

@Cecily ;

The problem with this show is that I don't much care about Shadow Moon or Laura.  I certainly wasn't very happy with what the patsy Shadow Moon did to Mad Sweeney.
    At the 13:50 mark Columbia says “You’re ridin’ with Manifest Destiny baby, I am the West!”...

This was in direct response to Donar questioning how they could survive California, he muses that the West isn’t exactly riddled with Hessians and Vikings willing to pay him tribute.

Just making sure that you know I wasn’t pulling that from nowhere

(Your point is right though in that MD would have been fizzling out by the gilded age or the “roaring 20’s”, I think she’s saying they could live off her accomplishments)
  • I'm not sure if the creators deliberately cast Ricky Whittle and Emily Browning to be the "straight men" characters of the show. They remind me of Bruce Willis in The Fifth Element. The Gods are Chris Tucker.
    MajorMalfunction
  • Shadow Moon is a similar non-entity in the book.  I think they've expanded Laura in the TV show though, I don't remember the book focusing so much attention on her...
  • Yeah, I think that's right.

(Your point is right though in that MD would have been fizzling out by the gilded age or the “roaring 20’s”, I think she’s saying they could live off her accomplishments)