703 - "The Forecast"

Director: Unknown
Writer: Matthew Weiner

Comments

• historicstorkhistoricstork Detroitburbs
    did betty just throw away chekhov's gun?
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Damn. Glenn pulled a Neville Longbottom.
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Glenn was going for it! Nice try sir, nice try.
  • Glenn gets a 'nice try' - The Americans get a 'noped out'
  • The Weiner bringing Glen back in this last season reminds me of David Chase bringing his daughter back to reprise her role as Meadow's friend Hunter in the Sopranos last season, except Glen's return had so much more of an impact. That was one of the most awkward scenes in the whole series.
    steph_b
  • The only thing that made that scene awkward was how bad the acting was. Yikes.
    steph_bpavlovsbell
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited April 2015
    @hypergenesb  I didn't think it was possible for Marten Weiner to get worse.  At least he had an excuse when he was an inexperienced kid.  He is so stilted and drained of life that if his lines were just slightly more absurd and accompanied by some quirky music, he could have been in a Wes Anderson film.  
    steph_bhypergenesbTeletype
  • @pavlovsbell perfect comparison. straight outta wes anderson. Marten would've fit perfectly in Moonrise Kingdom. 
    steph_bpavlovsbell
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    edited April 2015
    Marten's failings aside, I thought this episode totally made up for last week and was back to peak Mad Men form. I was riveted.

I loved the Sally/Don scene at the bus and the truth bombs they lobbed at each other. A little mutual destruction ego slaughter.

Kinda reminded me of the daughter in Birdman giving Keaton both barrels of her resentment. I live for shit like that.

I wish GOT (and almost every other show on TV)would take notes on Mad Men characterization.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    If nothing else, Mad Men was really funny last night.  

Martin turned out to be a good looking kid, but whoo boy, the acting chops just aren't there.  January Jones blows him off the screen, which is kind of amazing by itself, and when Miss Shipka's on screen it's a laugher.  I'd love to be on the set of an episode where Weiner is directing a Martin Weiner scene.  Maybe he's doing it intentionally as a joke or to prove some point about child actors. "Just be a completely empty vessel, then whatever criticism they aim at you will just really be about them."  

The Americans is still creepier, btw.  Don and Betty might ooze, but they aren't exactly debating the necessity to seduce kids for the motherland. Although between the hair lock and joking with Henry about bedding Sally's friend a few seasons back... it might be a closer race than I'd initially expect.
    steph_b
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    This episode last night was like a look into my life.  I too failed out of SUNY Purchase (for attendance, not grades,) used to enjoy going to the terrible Rye Playland, and live near Ossining.  I didn't even realize it until recently, but I used to work at a Post-Production company near 12th street and my parents live a few blocks away from the house that they shot the Mad Men pilot in, in New Rochelle. Also, I'm an empty shell of an incredibly good looking man. (Right? Please? Validate me? Someone????)

- Weiner's son was an "empty vessel," Don's apartment was empty and sad inside, and Don was empty and sad inside.  It was like an Oprah giveaway of grief and void! Yay!

- Glen going from Purchase to war is especially extreme because Purchase is a super liberal, performing artsy type school.

- Peggy takes over Deputy Tim for line of the week. "Why don't you write down your dreams so I can shit all over them."

hypergenesbsteph_bTeletype
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited April 2015
    There were so many good lines in this episode. Sally got the prime zinger though, with "If anyone pays attention to you - and they always do - you just ooze everywhere."

Don telling Sally she was just like her parents was spot on, as Sally has turned into quite the little arsehole. I was watching as a parent of a teenage girl and thinking if my daughter spoke to me like that I'd knock her into next week (sit down, not literally - I don't hit people), but on the other hand, how else would you expect poor Sally to turn out given her role models growing up?

I know I'm alone on an island here but I just don't care about Joan at all or what she's doing (why is she still in that shitty apartment when she's rich?). I've never liked her - she was really mean and spiteful to Peggy right from the start and I've never come around to her after that. She's one of those women who doesn't like other women.

I don't think Marten Weiner is going to win awards any time soon, but I don't think he's that terrible. Isn't Glenn supposed to be weird and a bit creepy? January Jones managed to blunder her way into a role perfect for her wooden fence post acting style, maybe this is Weiner Jr.'s.
    pavlovsbellsteph_b
  • StephenStephen New York
    It's taken seven seasons for me to notice that Don's pack of Lucky Strikes, often seen through his shirt pocket, places a perennial bullseye over his heart.
    steph_bA_Ron_Hubbard
  • Everyone keeps talking about how hot Glenn got....I just don't see it I guess. 
    Andrewschadenfreudianslip
    I will never get tired of Don playing dad to bickering siblings Pete and Peggy.  And how Vincent Kartheiser can rock the most ridiculous lines:

"There you are!  We have a peanut butter cookie problem!"

"And then Mathis said... a four letter word that starts with 'F'.  Have you ever heard such a thing?!"

Elizabeth Moss somehow made her ear move while she was grimacing at Pete.  Excellent ear acting!
    steph_bInebriattaAntManBeeAmelia
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    I have a feeling Glenn dies in Vietnam when Sally calls his place to find out if they have heard from him. 

Outside of the obvious awkwardness when Glenn is on the screen this was a super funny episode especially with Mathis and his failed "I can't believe you had the balls to come back here" line that made me spit out my drink, Sally's F-Bomb that  wasn't muted in Australia, the outdoor furniture in the lounge room, the moustaches still make me laugh & the return of Lou especially with him trying to sell the rights to Scout's Honour made this a pretty funny episode. 

What about Joan's second marriage? she didn't marry Bob did she? or was she referring to Roger from an emotional stand point?

• Were we watching the same show? Glenn is not hot at all. A. Ron, you take back what you said about Neville! Glenn is just as ugly as he was as a kid. Say what you want to say about January Jones's acting, she should get an Emmy for convincingly portraying her sexual attraction to that average looking man (boy)?

I loved the scene with Sally and Betty at the kitchen table. Sally was sassing Betty the entire time (when you went on the trip they were still colonies) and Betty was cracking smiles. A few seasons ago Betty would have thrown a hissy fit over all that sass.

The copywriter guy who was fired at the end was such a douche. I'm sorry, Don can say that stuff to clients because he has the talent to back it up. He is at least talented enough to come up with original lines. What a loser.

Yes, who is Joan's second marriage?
  • Stephen said:

It's taken seven seasons for me to notice that Don's pack of Lucky Strikes, often seen through his shirt pocket, places a perennial bullseye over his heart.

It's taken me seven seasons AND your post to realize it!
    Frakkin Tsteph_b
    edited April 2015

I loved the scene with Sally and Betty at the kitchen table. Sally was sassing Betty the entire time (when you went on the trip they were still colonies) and Betty was cracking smiles. A few seasons ago Betty would have thrown a hissy fit over all that sass.

Yes, who is Joan's second marriage?

That Betty and Sally scene was great.  It was like a Twilight Zone episode.  Betty was smiling at Sally's wisecracks and confiding her own "misadventures."  Then when Sally went a little too Don Draper, Betty narrowed her eyes at her.  I loved it.

People are attributing Joan's first marriage to a throwaway line in the 604 episode, "To Have and To Hold."  Joan and her friend Kate were at the telephone restaurant:

Kate:  He's cute.  Reminds me of Scotty.
    Joan:  Well, don't marry him.  That was the worst six months of my life.
    Kate:  You always did everything first.
    Joan:  And you did everything smart.
    AntManBee
  • "I can’t believe you two have the balls to walk
    back into this place after you embarrassed yourself. "

I can't believe Mathis is such a dope.  How could he actually think Don meant for him to say that exact line he once used? 
    pavlovsbellksa1001

"I can’t believe you two have the balls to walk

I can't believe Mathis is such a dope.  How could he actually think Don meant for him to say that exact line he once used? 

Especially when Don suggested the much more appropriate joke of bringing a bar of soap in case he needed to wash his mouth.  I guess some people are that stupid, but it seemed set up purely to have yet another person who once worshipped Don to turn on him and point out his vacuous charm.
    steph_b
  • StephenStephen New York
    Even though Sally's assessment of Betty and Don is historically accurate, each of them avoids sinking to the depths to which she is experientially entitled to think they would. Betty, rather than relying on Glenn's naiveté to shore up her ego as she has done in years past, gives him the parenting that might have prevented his misbegotten decision had it been delivered earlier by his actual parents, while Don, perhaps weaned from low-hanging fruit by age and Meredith's artless advances, indulges, but, ultimately, ignores Sally's friend's advances. Betty and Don, whether or not they are aware of it, are growing a bit in the series' final episodes. Mathis' dissection of Don was dead-on and overdue, but if Johnny had deployed this heretofore latent analytical skill a bit sooner, he probably wouldn't have misread Don's instructions in the first place. (But then we would have been robbed of one of the series' funniest scenes.)
  • Dear Marten...STOP. JUST STOP.

Sincerely,

Everyone that isn't your father. 
    ksa1001
  • "I can’t believe you two have the balls to walk

Especially when Don suggested the much more appropriate joke of bringing a bar of soap in case he needed to wash his mouth.  I guess some people are that stupid, but it seemed set up purely to have yet another person who once worshipped Don to turn on him and point out his vacuous charm.

Agree. Coming from a lower level guy like Mathis really sends the point home. Nobody is buying Don's bullshit.  Seems like everyone sees through him now. 

I noticed that was the 2nd time in the episode (the realtor was first) where Don told someone else to "take responsibility for their failure".  Maybe Don will take his own advice now. 

• edited April 2015

I think Don might end up embracing an advisory/mentoring position of some sort. The past few episodes he's been dispensing advice left and right. In a previous episode, he told Joan how to handle the Topaz crisis; in this episode, both Peggy and Mathis come to him for advice. At the moment, he's doing it mechanically, but I feel he'll gradually realize there's fulfilment to be found in sharing your knowledge and helping others achieve their goals. After all, once you've achieved Don's status, there aren't that many options for a next move. He could follow the Richard model, live in the moment without a plan, or he could help others advance professionally, which is a way of establishing a legacy. There's a precedent too -- Peggy's burger pitch last season. He seemed very happy watching his protegee, Peggy, deliver that perfect pitch.

• Great point about Don finding happiness by helping Peggy handle Burger Chef.  I've always wanted him to become completely aware of the importance of his relationships with Peggy & Sally and devote himself to them.  Thing is, every time something good like that happens, the characters just backslide into who they were.  For example, I remember how well Pete was working with Peggy on Burger Chef too.  But now they're fighting like cats and dogs in the office again. 
  • .  Thing is, every time something good like that happens, the characters just backslide into who they were.  For example, I remember how well Pete was working with Peggy on Burger Chef too.  But now they're fighting like cats and dogs in the office again. 

It's part of the cyclical nature of human behavior, a central theme on the show. People tend to reverse to familiar patterns of behavior. Still, since it's the final season, they might end on a positive note. 
  • Listening to this week's last podcast, something caught my attention. A-ron, you mentioned the nice touch that "The Weiner" put in the story about little Kevin being afraid of  horses.  The psychologist Carl Jung famously taught that the *archetype of the horse* is a very significant symbol to watch for when analyzing the subconscious mind.

In a nut shell, the horse archetype is very closely related to the mother and the womb, as well as one's physical well-being. Kevin being afraid of horses could be telling of the inner turmoil in his life, and possibly, God forbid, physical danger or sickness. I don't know if that's why this little detail was included in the story, but if it was,  it makes it even more impressive, considering Joan's story arch during this episode/season.
    steph_bA_Ron_Hubbard
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    This has nothing to do with anything, but I saw it on tumblr and it was perfect

imageimage
    ksa1001