The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley (HBO)

did anyone else watch this tonight?  This story fascinates me. In the world of Fyre Festivals we have what is essentially a sham company that conned some of the brightest (and richest) people around. 

I read the book “Bad Blood” and listened to the podcast covering it. I just can’t get enough details. 

How does one sleep at night knowing they’re scamming so many people and directly affecting their health?
Murderbear

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Haven't watched it yet but I am kind of excited about it. Her story was a little crazy so I am very curious about the entire story.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited March 19
    I don't think she did.  From what I remember hearing there were a couple marginal bets by VC firms on Theranos, but the overwhelming majority passed.  She appears to have conned rich and bright whales whose main focus was not vetting corporations or healthcare.

did anyone else watch this tonight?  This story fascinates me. In the world of Fyre Festivals we have what is essentially a sham company that conned some of the brightest (and richest) people around. 

• JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    There's also a movie in the works starring Jennifer Lawrence...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5795144/

... which just seems unnecessary. Unsurprisingly, it's being directed by Adam McKay, who directed "Vice". Don't get me wrong, it was stunning to see Christian Bale turn into Cheney, but the whole film only covered well worn territory and (to me) it just seemed to be a handful of filmmakers who wanted to make sure they got in their final shots in at the Bush administration. 

The Theranos movie just seems like another example of a movie whose entire target audience already pretty much knows the whole story.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited March 20
    I thought I was developing Exposé Documentary Fatigue (EDF) but ive been background listening to this doc while my wife was watching and I just turned my butt around to watch. Also this is hilarious-crazy when I googled her name:

https://amp.businessinsider.com/theranos-founder-elizabeth-holmes-deep-voice-2019-3

https://jezebel.com/elizabeth-holmess-fake-voice-is-actually-just-stupid-ma-1833402366/amp
    telephoneofmadness
  • cdrive said:
    I thought I was developing Exposé Documentary Fatigue (EDF) but ive been background listening to this doc while my wife was watching and I just turned my butt around to watch. Also this is hilarious-crazy when I googled her name:

https://amp.businessinsider.com/theranos-founder-elizabeth-holmes-deep-voice-2019-3

https://jezebel.com/elizabeth-holmess-fake-voice-is-actually-just-stupid-ma-1833402366/amp

Seriously it sounds like she's talking through one of those witness protection voice modulators!

Although thinking about it, it's probably one of the more sympathetic things about her: trying to do something (albiet something silly and superficial) to be perceived as legitimate in a male-dominated world.
    Pangs
  • shameraveshamerave Beccastan
    I think it would be awesome if Jim and A. Ron could do a 'cast on this  B)
    Murderbear
  • I'm so glad they made this doc! I plan on watching it soon. I hope Jim and A.Ron will cover it.
    Murderbear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited March 20
    Oh my God. This is amazing. They absolutely nailed the unsettling feeling I got listening to her talk. https://twitter.com/tavitulle/status/1108391812794851329?s=12
    telephoneofmadnessPangs
  • Doubt there's room in our schedule to cover this one but I just finished watching it.  Overall I enjoyed it.  Most of my knowledge of this thing came from an article or two I read a couple years ago and just gleaning things from other people's conversations online so it was good to fill in some of the details.

However, I was pretty let down by the ending.  Seems like this doc was made prematurely.  I really would have appreciated the inclusion of the results of her and Sunny's fraud indictments but that's probably going to take a while longer to resolve.
    DummyCeciliaM
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    Jim said:
    Doubt there's room in our schedule to cover this one but I just finished watching it.  Overall I enjoyed it.  Most of my knowledge of this thing came from an article or two I read a couple years ago and just gleaning things from other people's conversations online so it was good to fill in some of the details.

However, I was pretty let down by the ending.  Seems like this doc was made prematurely.  I really would have appreciated the inclusion of the results of her and Sunny's fraud indictments but that's probably going to take a while longer to resolve.
    There was just a podcast about the whole Theranos scandal, and Jennifer Lawrence is slated to Star in a movie about it (she’s 1/2 way there with the voice). I wonder if they didn’t rush this doc out for fear of being the last to have something to say about the whole thing.
    telephoneofmadnessPangs
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    It was not a super well-made documentary. it wasn't really trash or anything, but it felt like there was still meat on those bones to rip off. But that blood sequence that they showed was the stuff of nightmares. 
    Murderbear
  • edited April 4
    Oh my God. This is amazing. They absolutely nailed the unsettling feeling I got listening to her talk. https://twitter.com/tavitulle/status/1108391812794851329?s=12
    Tavi Gevinson... The girl is a comedy genius.

Elizabeth Holmes is so creepy. OMG, the eyes, the eyessss. Obvious psychopath.
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    Jim said:
    Doubt there's room in our schedule to cover this one but I just finished watching it.  Overall I enjoyed it.  Most of my knowledge of this thing came from an article or two I read a couple years ago and just gleaning things from other people's conversations online so it was good to fill in some of the details.

There was just a podcast about the whole Theranos scandal, and Jennifer Lawrence is slated to Star in a movie about it (she’s 1/2 way there with the voice). I wonder if they didn’t rush this doc out for fear of being the last to have something to say about the whole thing.
    The Drop Out is the name of the podcast, it's worth a listen.
  • Underwood said:
    Jim said:

The Drop Out is the name of the podcast, it's worth a listen.
    Yeah I just finished the podcast... I'm assuming it can go in more depth because it's longer but I'll watch the doc too, just for the visuals
    samartian
  • edited April 5
    Sorry for the latergram. Also thought I was over schadenfreude after watching both Fyre docs. Since I work in tech and love the sitcom Silicon Valley, I had to watch. I'm actually glad that I listened to the podcast first called "The Dropout." See link below. The interviewer is not the best imho, but the additional interviews are FASCINATING and sad and really flesh out the story in the documentary. If I had watched without listening to the podcast, I would have found the doc itself a bit unsatisfying. Also, I'm astounded how Ms. Holmes has moved on with a new, incredibly rich hotel chain scion fiancé, and is acting like her past never happened. Total sociopathic behavior...imho.

https://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/dropout-nightline-documentary-podcast-premieres-wednesday-jan-23-60405789
    BourbonQueen