Us (Spoilers)

edited March 24 in Movies
If you haven't seen the movie yet and plan on seeing it, do yourself a favor and don't read this.  

I have such conflicting thoughts regarding this movie.  Part of me really enjoyed it but part of me thinks it's not really a complete movie.  I know that's Jordan Peele's point and part of his style is to leave you thinking after the movie.  Even the trailer I have mixed feelings about.  I feel like the trailer gave away a fair amount of the movie but at the same time the movie was much different than the trailer.  The movie was very much more of a suspense/creepy rather than horror in my opinion and it had a lot more humor than I was expecting.  I'll definitely be seeing it again to try and wrap my head around this but I wanted to hear what other people thought of the movie.  

Also did anyone get the thought that the son (Jason/Pluto) from the movie was possibly switched at some point just like Adelaide/Red was when she was a little girl.  He's playing in the sand at the beach when they meet with the friends and he's not making a sand castle like normal kids would do he's making a tunnel.  The other parts that hinted at that was when Jason was playing with the magic trick but couldn't remember how it worked and I took the scene with Jason in the closet with his tethered self, I think his tether hinted at how to do the magic trick.  Also when Jason/Pluto died by walking into the fire Adelaide/Red was an emotional wreck about it, although after thinking about it she was emotional when her daughter's tethered dies.  

I've been trying to put my thoughts to words regarding this movie and I hope this makes sense but my mind is a clusterfuck regarding this movie right now other than "I've got 5 on it" on constant repeat.  Looking forward to seeing other people's thoughts on the movie once they see it.
telephoneofmadness

Comments

• I liked it a lot.  I didn't think about Jason being switched but maybe...especially with the final look between Jason/Adelaide.  Interesting thought.  I thought there was too much exposition but other than that, I really enjoyed it.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I thought the plot, when it comes down to it, was pretty fucking stupid. Twist at the end was dumb too.  The whole thing was just ridiculous. BUT don’t get me wrong. It was fun as hell. Cotton candy type of movie.  Great acting and funny as hell.  I enjoyed it like a carnival spook house.

“Nobody wants the boat Dad!” had me blurt out laughter at an embarrassing volume. So fucking good. I loved the comedy coming out of that Dad or related to the Dad.  
    ChinaskiFreddy
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    like i mentioned in another thread, it was fine.

overall, i thought the acting and score were really good, but the story itself was kinda meh to me.
  • edited March 24
    Couple random completely unrelated thoughts regarding the movie after seeing it a 2nd time (thank you AMC A-List).  

1.  How hard is it to snap your fingers to a beat?  Did anyone else notice how off beat Lupita was during that scene.  It wasn't even close.  Seems like a simple thing to fix and reshoot another take. 

2.  What kind of person plays wack a mole and only hits 1 of the moles?  I find it extremely odd that they filmed this and thought, let's use the cut where he doesn't try to hit any of the moles other than this specific one.  

3.  I can't believe how much of the last act was included in the trailer of this movie.  After watching the trailer again I was blown away by how much was from the last act.  The biggest for me personally that is a big give away is the scene with young Adelaide in the mirror room and the tethered grabs her by the neck, you don't actually see that scene until the last 20 minutes of the movie.  I admit I didn't exactly remember that from the trailer when I was watching it the 1st time but I did have the twist figured out when Adelaide was killing one of the twins after going back for the car keys and grunting or whatever you want to call that.  

4.  The slow down of "I got 5 on it" when Adelaide was chasing her tethered down the hallway was amazing, especially in AMC's Dolby theater where the seats have transducers that are tied in with the subwoofer channel. 
    Chinaski
    edited March 24
    Couple random completely unrelated thoughts regarding the movie after seeing it a 2nd time (thank you AMC A-List).  

1.  How hard is it to snap your fingers to a beat?  Did anyone else notice how off beat Lupita was during that scene.  It wasn't even close.  Seems like a simple thing to fix and reshoot another take. 

2.  What kind of person plays wack a mole and only hits 1 of the moles?  I find it extremely odd that they filmed this and thought, let's use the cut where he doesn't try to hit any of the moles other than this specific one.  

3.  I can't believe how much of the last act was included in the trailer of this movie.  After watching the trailer again I was blown away by how much was from the last act.  The biggest for me personally that is a big give away is the scene with young Adelaide in the mirror room and the tethered grabs her by the neck, you don't actually see that scene until the last 20 minutes of the movie.  I admit I didn't exactly remember that from the trailer when I was watching it the 1st time but I did have the twist figured out when Adelaide was killing one of the twins after going back for the car keys and grunting or whatever you want to call that.  

4.  The slow down of "I got 5 on it" when Adelaide was chasing her tethered down the hallway was amazing, especially in AMC's Dolby theater where the seats have transducers that shake in unison with the subwoofer channel. 
    1. yeah it was off. she had no soul.

2. i just thought he was drunk and off

3. good observation. will check out the trailer again. don't they show Pluto (Jason's double) step back into the fire in the trailer?

4. agreed. that score was killer!
  • Chinaski said:

4.  The slow down of "I got 5 on it" when Adelaide was chasing her tethered down the hallway was amazing, especially in AMC's Dolby theater where the seats have transducers that shake in unison with the subwoofer channel. 
    1. yeah it was off. she had no soul.

2. i just thought he was drunk and off

3. good observation. will check out the trailer again. don't they show Pluto (Jason's double) step back into the fire in the trailer?

4. agreed. that score was killer!
    1. That is a very good point and quite comical thinking about it.

3.  Yes it does show Pluto in the flames.  I was just amazed rewatching the trailer and seeing how much of it was in the last 20-30 minutes where everything is explained.  The trailer was very well done as it got a ton of people interested in the movie including myself but they shouldn't have included the part where Adelaide/Red in the mirror house with her hands around her neck because that is quite a hint at they were switched given the fact that specific scene isn't shown until the final reveal in the last 20 minutes.  People that pay attention to the trailer and remember that she chokes her will see that they cut out before that scene and immediately play into the idea that she was switched. 
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I liked the movie a lot but the twist felt a little obvious, especially with the trailer, and I was kinda expecting something different. I think it'll be better with time and a couple rewatches, there was a lot of stuff I wasn't totally sure what to make of.
  • ThegelatokingThegelatoking Houston, TX
    I went in not watching the trailers and knew nothing about the movie so everything was a surprise to me.  I thought it was a pretty entertaining thriller but definitely not a horror movie.  

It had lots of comedy scenes.  There were lots of subtle scenes where you're supposed to be dreading but the whole audience just laughs.  I nervous laughed at a scene or two that kind of scared me and I think that makes a scary movie more enjoyable.  

The acting I though was amazing. Lupita Nyong'o's eyes and expressions made all the scenes great.
    cdrive
    i just found out that twin daughters is who played Ross and Rachel’s daughter (Emma) on Friends! mind blown and feeling old! 
  • BrieanneBrieanne California

4.  The slow down of "I got 5 on it" when Adelaide was chasing her tethered down the hallway was amazing, especially in AMC's Dolby theater where the seats have transducers that are tied in with the subwoofer channel. 
    1. I noticed this too, but after thinking back on it I believe it was on purpose and directly related to the twist that "Adelaide" was actually the clone.  Therefore, she wasn't completely "normal" in these types of small ways like keeping a beat.

I like a lot of the stuff that Jordan Peele did with this movie and found it very unsettling...I can't wait to watch it again.  Also completely agree with you that the music was awesome...still have those creepy piano notes in my head.  Those along with the above and below dance routine/Lupita vs. Lupita fight was amazing.
    bizmarkiefader
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I have a question that might be answerable or just might be a plot hole, I'm not sure.

So, the tethered people were designed to be able to control their human counterparts from the tunnels, but it turned out that it rather worked the other way instead. In terms of the Adelaide/Red's families then, are we to assume that Red married and procreated out in the world and Adelaide was forced to follow suit in the tunnels? What changed the dynamic of who duplicated who? The mere fact of the figure who is free and out in the world having the 'true' power of decision? 
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    amyja89 said:
    I have a question that might be answerable or just might be a plot hole, I'm not sure.

So, the tethered people were designed to be able to control their human counterparts from the tunnels, but it turned out that it rather worked the other way instead. In terms of the Adelaide/Red's families then, are we to assume that Red married and procreated out in the world and Adelaide was forced to follow suit in the tunnels? What changed the dynamic of who duplicated who? The mere fact of the figure who is free and out in the world having the 'true' power of decision? 
    The story really doesn't make a lot of sense and is filled with plot holes. The more you try and think about it, the worse it gets.
    Chinaski
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    If you try and map out the logistics of the tethered and that area they were kept in then you're going to find lots of open questions. I don't think they did a good enough job making the rest of the story coherent the way they did in Get Out so that you just don't think about the science or logistics of what's happening, but if you can put it in the back of your mind I think the movie is a lot more enjoyable.
  • amyja89 said:

The exposition was definitely the down side of the movie. Sometimes as a horror film it works better to have unknowns. No answers. In this case we were given too any answers. I had the same exact question. Also, it makes their initial meeting a little silly, unless they both forgot that they switched places. And did the tethered not know about what the purpose was?  Why was the explanation necessary?  

I felt the overblown exposition was the equivalent of Richard Dreyfus (sp?) explaining Jaws is after the family because the kids were pissing in the water or something. Peele will figure it out. 

Or or maybe he was just going for something different. Who knows. 
    Chinaski
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited March 27
    Zsa004 said:
    amyja89 said:

The exposition was definitely the down side of the movie. Sometimes as a horror film it works better to have unknowns. No answers. In this case we were given too any answers. I had the same exact question. Also, it makes their initial meeting a little silly, unless they both forgot that they switched places. And did the tethered not know about what the purpose was?  Why was the explanation necessary?  

I felt the overblown exposition was the equivalent of Richard Dreyfus (sp?) explaining Jaws is after the family because the kids were pissing in the water or something. Peele will figure it out. 

I ultimately think that the final plot twist actually makes the movie a bad movie. If you work through it, the fact that they switched and still ended up where they were means that them switching was 100% meaningless. Does anything in their lives change if they hadn't switched? Maybe that's the point?

The best comparison I've heard is that this is like if Zack Snyder horror movie. A whole bunch of cool scenes, but the more you try and engage with it, the worse it gets.
  • edited March 27
    Hunkulese said:
    Zsa004 said:
    amyja89 said:

I ultimately think that the final plot twist actually makes the movie a bad movie. If you work through it, the fact that they switched and still ended up where they were means that them switching was 100% meaningless. Does anything in their lives change if they hadn't switched? Maybe that's the point?

The best comparison I've heard is that this is like if Zack Snyder horror movie. A whole bunch of cool scenes, but the more you try and engage with it, the worse it gets.
    I think the final twist adds to the biggest overarching message that Peele wanted to get out of the movie.  Basically Adelaide/Red switching places and living a "normal" life basically proves that somebody originally given zero opportunity can make something of their life if they are given the same opportunities as anyone else.  This translates to the real world with social classes and the like.

In regards to the original post with this talking about who had the true power of decision it really is a plot hole but essentially the real person and their tethered self share 1 soul.  So the way I kind of explained it to somebody else is that it is like those driving instructor cars that have 2 sets of pedals and 2 sets of steering wheels.  Beings Red/Adelaide was handcuffed to the bed underground and unable to take any kind of control until she got out her tethered above ground took control of the pedals and steering wheel and the one stuck underground was never able to get those controls back.  In the end it truly is a plot hole but that's the easiest way I have to kind of hand wave away the issue.