Foods you hated growing up but now love

prettt straightforward. Foods that you hated as a kid but now love. Obviously as a kid a lot of us didn’t want to eat a plate full of broccoli. But foods that you could not eat at all growing up. 

For me it is Tomatoes. I could not stand them. I love pizza, I love pasta, I love all things made with tomatoes. But I could not eat a slice of a tomatoe if it saved my life. Now I love them on my sandwiches. A good ripe crunchy tomatoe slice with lettuce and mayo makes a perfect compliment for any sandwich whether it’s turkey, beef, ham or something else. 
ChinaskiTravis

Comments

• JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    Chili. For some reason, I couldn’t get over the beans. I just wasn’t a fan... until I was.
    HatorianChinaski
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i wouldn’t say i ‘love’ broccoli and brussel sprouts, but i like em. 12 year old me, not so much  :#
    HatorianTravisDee
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 23
    Nuts. I choked on a walnut when I was a kid and decided I hated all nuts (probably because of the choking, but Peanut Butter I've always loved and was exempt from this stance). I still can't stand walnuts (unless they've been candied and put in a salad), but my wife (who had the same hangup) and I went to a Mariners game when we were in Seattle and they had a fresh roasted peanuts stand that smelled so amazing and falling in line with the "spirit of the ballpark experience" we grabbed a bag and took a shot. They were goddamn amazing! Still the best we've had, but it opened the door and now I really enjoy various nuts as snacks quite a bit.

Chinaski said:
    i wouldn’t say i ‘love’ broccoli and brussel sprouts, but i like em. 12 year old me, not so much  :#
    I was never "anti" either of those, but I certainly didn't appreciate them like I do now. Brussel Sprouts particularly. I LOVE brussel sprouts when they're roasted with garlic, olive oil, and maybe some rosemary, maybe just a touch of soy sauce in the mix. So good!
    HatorianChinaski
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited March 23
    Olives. Hated them as a kid; love them now. Especially garlic stuffed. Although the olives in Spain can fuck right off. Those little balls of hate taste just like the thin layer of gym sweat the whole city of Madrid smells like.
    TravisChinaskiHatorian
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Asparagus and cauliflower.  As a kid, ewwww.  Now, cooked and seasoned correctly, yum.
    ChinaskiTravisNoel
    Freddy said:
    Olives. Hated them as a kid; love them now. Especially garlic stuffed. Although the olives in Spain can fuck right off. Those little balls of hate taste just like the thin layer of gym sweat the whole city of Madrid smells like.
    oh olives! those fall in my ‘foods you hated growing up and still HATE’ bucket. barf! 
    TravisNoeltpelzy
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Like most of us here, I would say vegetables in general. As a kid I used to love carrots but that was about it. I still hate onions and olives though. My biggest jump was bell peppers. I fucking LOVE a good bell pepper. I’ll slice one up and eat the pieces alone, even if I don’t have hummus or something to dip.
    DeeChinaskiHatorian
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited March 23
    Noel said:
    Like most of us here, I would say vegetables in general. As a kid I used to love carrots but that was about it. I still hate onions and olives though. My biggest jump was bell peppers. I fucking LOVE a good bell pepper. I’ll slice one up and eat the pieces alone, even if I don’t have hummus or something to dip.
    My mum was a terrible cook and boiled everything to death. She also had no sense of timing, so things would be sitting around getting cold while other things were still cooking. Cold, boiled cabbage is not an appetising thing. And yet these days I will take any opportunity to stuff my face with cabbage.

Aside from that, being an old person who grew up in a very homogenous (white) town, there are so many things I never even tasted (or had seen!) until I was well into adulthood. Things like olives, asparagus, kale, Brussels sprouts, etc. My childhood veg was the above-mentioned cabbage, carrots (still can’t eat cooked carrot on its own to this day), and mashed potato. 
    TravisChinaskiHatorianNoelbazjenster
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Oysters
    Onions
    Brussel Sprouts
    TravisChinaskigguenot
    Noel said:
     I still hate onions and olives though
    @Noel - did ya know that there are weirdos that put olives in their tacos? creeps!
    Chinaski said:
    Noel said:
    @Noel - did ya know that there are weirdos that put olives in their tacos? creeps!
    Hey!  I'm one of those weirdos!  :neutral:
    ChinaskiJoshuaHetergguenotNoel
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Noel said:
    Hey!  I'm one of those weirdos!  :neutral:
    Image result for disappointed gif
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    Image result for disappointed gif

ChinaskiJoshuaHeterNoel
  • Brussels Sprouts and the white dry bean things at those Teppan table restaurants 
    Chinaski
    edited March 24
    Also, avocado.  I used to hate them as a kid (I think it was the texture), now I love guac & loooove sliced avocado on sandwiches & in salads.
    gguenotHatorianbazjenster
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Freddy said:
    Same! But only on pizza. 
  • Love me some green olives stuffed with habanero peppers
    Hatorian
    edited March 24
    Is there actually anyone who is a fan of liver & onions now?  Because as a kid, omg no.  And now, still no.  So gross.
    Hatorian
  • My mom had a very limited cooking repertoire because she does not like to try new foods. Even now when she visits me (we live in different states) she always wants to go back to the same restaurants she was at 5 years ago and order the same foods.

So- I probably didn't have much as a kid that I didn't like but I had a ton of things I didn't know about and when I heard about them the first time, I thought they were gross, then eventually tried them and liked them. Sushi is probably the last one I tried - I was probably well into my 30s before I started eating and loving sushi. Now there's not really a lot I don't like.
    Michelle said:
    Is there actually anyone who is a fan of liver & onions now?  Because as a kid, omg no.  And now, still no.  So gross.
    No. It was my papa’s favorite so my mom used to have it alot but luckily she never forced it on us growing up
    Michelle
  • edited March 24
    Mushrooms. My friend used to eat them raw out the pack as a kid and it put me off. Now.. pizza, pasta, steak sauce, soup, whatever.

And onions, I have no idea why. I probably eat them every day in some form or another these days. 
    Hatorian
    Mushrooms. My friend used to eat them raw out the pack as a kid and it put me off. Now.. pizza, pasta, steak sauce, soup, whatever.

And onions, I have no idea why. I probably eat them every day in some form or another these days. 
    Still hate mushrooms. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Michelle said:
    My parents made it for me one time at my request. I kept seeing it mentioned in kids movies and tv shows, and was like "what are these kids talking about!?" This lead to a long line of liver and onion related questioning directed at my poor, overworked and over-interrogated parents. Ultimately ended up with us having liver and onions for dinner one night. I remembered it being nothing special, but it wasn't bad. Cut to many years later at a new restaurant in town, and low and behold they had L&O on the menu. I ordered it pretty often, and it was pretty damn good. That being said, their chicken fried steak was way better. Pretty sure I only opted for the former because it was such a random menu item. To this day its the only restaurant I've been to that had it on the menu.
    MichelleHatorianChinaski
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Chinaski said:
    Noel said:
    Fresh ingredients are always welcome with tacos but I always go back to the basics. Tortilla, beef/chicken/pork, cilantro, lime and salsa. Onions if you like them. 
    Chinaski
    ya know, some people think cilantro tastes like soap. anyone around here one of those people?
    bazjenster
  • As a child I hated 'Curry' and 'Chilli'. .. But as I got older I realised I'm not a fan of extremely hot food and there are loads of curries and milder chillis I now love.. We have a great culture of curry houses in the UK so I'm glad I got over my fear/hatred 25 years ago :) 
    ChinaskiDee
  • edited March 25
    Chinaski said:
    ya know, some people think cilantro tastes like soap. anyone around here one of those people?
    I had heard that if Cilantro tastes like soap it means you are allergic to it. My sister tastes soap when she eats Cilantro
    ChinaskiNoelFreddy
  • Chinaski said:
    Yep, me. Cilantro is not really easy to come by where I live and never had it until I was like 25 or so. Everyone was raving about it and I couldn't wait to try it. And then, soap. What a letdown. (Just to clarify I'm let down by my stupid genetics and not cilantro lol)
    ChinaskiNoel
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Chinaski said:
    I was not - I loved the stuff. But a few years ago my sense of smell changed and that made some things taste different, and one of them was coriander (cilantro to you foreigners). Now I get the soap taste. :-(
  • Shellfish. I hated all seafood (due to a fish allergy). I can eat shrimp, but I hated the texture and smell as a kid. Love shellfish now.