American Gods 203 - Muninn

Not spoiling anything for those who don't watch it early, I'm just gonna say: for once I agree with Technical Boy. "How the fuck is this an upgrade?"
This has gotta be the funniest episode of the series so far, some scenes made me laugh so hard!
Elisatelephoneofmadness

Comments

• CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    @Reni
    Sorry I didn't see you started this thread before mine!
  • @Cecily No worries! I don't think people even noticed, it's a ghost town in both threads, ha.
  • Then I shall transfer my thought.

So when Shadow's mom in a flashback was on the phone with presumably Shadow's father and she said something to the effect I have been taking him to live across the world ... does this low-key hint toward Mr. World being Shadow's father?
    Elisa
  • @ncat I think that's what they want the viewers to think, but I have my doubts. To me Mr. World is just way too vague an entity, along with Mr. Town. Like, wtf are they about?

And if we're going back to the last episode: who do you guys think gave the coin to Shadow?
    telephoneofmadnessElisa
  • I actually really liked Harajuku Media, and the competitive dynamic it creates between her and Technical Boy.

Also, I thought having a Japanese schoolgirl being molested by a tentacle monster was gratuitous. Is this going to be a recurring theme?
    Reni said:
    And if we're going back to the last episode: who do you guys think gave the coin to Shadow?
    I think it was pretty heavily implied that Wednesday gave the coin to Shadow (and is Shadow's father).
    Elisa
  • Reni said:
    To me Mr. World is just way too vague an entity, along with Mr. Town. Like, wtf are they about?
    Yeah, I think the concepts those two represent seem way too vague for them to be gods. Mr. World is supposed to represent "globalism", whatever that means. I guess Mr. Town is the god of... jingoism, fear of terrorism, the police state, worship of the military... But isn't that too similar to Vulcan from the previous season?
  • I actually really liked Harajuku Media, and the competitive dynamic it creates between her and Technical Boy.

Also, I thought having a Japanese schoolgirl being molested by a tentacle monster was gratuitous. Is this going to be a recurring theme?
    Reni said:
    I think it was pretty heavily implied that Wednesday gave the coin to Shadow (and is Shadow's father).
    I was a bit gratuitous but molesting implies it was against her will which it very much was not. She wanted the power but she could have just grabbed two tentacles in her hands. Also if I remember right about the coin I definitely though Wednesday but I agree they are playing fast and loose because I swore to coin passer's voice sounded somewhat like Mr. World. Also I guess Wednesday could want Shadow raised across the world as some way of powering up to be a foil to Mr. World which is possible.
    telephoneofmadnessElisa
  • The coin giver (based on voice only) wasn't Wednesday or Mr. World - I can't remember names or faces for shit but I'm really good with voices. Then again, they can probably take on other forms. Or it could have been a messenger. The only possible giveaway they showed was his arm ring with this motif, which definitely says "Old God" (possibly Norse) to me but I don't know what/who this is a symbol for.

I think New Media fits perfectly with the show and what (social) media is today. While I enjoyed old Media's performance a lot, I couldn't really associate her with what I think of as media. I've never seen an episode of I love Lucy, and what I know of Marilyn Monroe could be summed up in 10 sentences tops. So she was definitely outdated. But I'm 33 and I can't relate to emoji overuse or snapchat filters either (having a low-key meltdown thinking about what would accurately represent media for me). I like New Media for the show, just not for myself. And I loved how even Technical Boy, who is literally a snotty teenager, looked like "I'm too old for this shit".

Another thought. Sam Black Crow. God or not? I may be wrong but for now I do believe she was simply human. She was perhaps supposed to be a callback to Shadow early on, when he didn't believe in anything. And now Shadow is the one spouting all this crazy stuff about gods and faith, and she's the one who was like "yeah, whatever". I really liked her, hope we see her again.
    Elisa
  • Reni said:
    Another thought. Sam Black Crow. God or not? I may be wrong but for now I do believe she was simply human. She was perhaps supposed to be a callback to Shadow early on, when he didn't believe in anything. And now Shadow is the one spouting all this crazy stuff about gods and faith, and she's the one who was like "yeah, whatever". I really liked her, hope we see her again.
    I thought she might be one of Wednesday's crows in human form, but if so she was doing a good job of pretending she didn't know what was going on.
    ElisaCecily
  • @telephoneofmadness I thought of that too, but then why should she come up with the half Cherokee, half Christian background? Then again it's weird the episode is titled Muninn. Was it just for those 1 or 2 scenes with the actual crow?
    Elisa