Apple TV+

MrXMrX CO
edited March 25 in Other TV
https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/25/18280920/apple-tv-streaming-service-announcement-price-date-launch-event-2019

Yet another streaming service. Price unknown.Their initial original content lineup looks good I guess (HBO's 2019 sizzle reel was much better IMO)? But good enough to get me to subscribe to another service? We'll see. The name is a definitely shot at Disney+ which will be launching around the same time.

What is interesting is it sounds like the new Apple TV App will be available on streaming boxes and smart TVs other than just the Apple TV. Which is a smart move if they want to get wider adoption.

Plus they're pitching the app as a hub for (nearly) all your streaming content, so you can access your Amazon, Hulu HBO, etc. subscriptions from within the app. No Netflix - not surprising there. Not a bad idea if the implementation/interface is good as it could be a good solution to unifying all of the disparate streaming options out there. My Sony Android TV recently updated and the interface is kindof like this, which is nice, but still isn't perfect by any stretch.

Elisa

Comments

• MrXMrX CO
    edited March 25
    Here's a rundown of the original programming that they have lined up so far. From the sci-fi angle they have some interesting offerings. Adapting Foundation is certainly ambitious.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/25/18277261/apple-tv-plus-streaming-shows-movies
    Elisa
  • I watched the presentation and I was underwhelmed by the new streaming service. I’m guessing Disney + will launch about the same time that Apple + does, and my streaming dollars are getting really stretched at this point. 

Now or I am looking forward to the hub aspect of integrating all the services together. 
  • I watched the presentation and I was underwhelmed by the new streaming service. I’m guessing Disney + will launch about the same time that Apple + does, and my streaming dollars are getting really stretched at this point. 

Now or I am looking forward to the hub aspect of integrating all the services together. 
    yea that's my initial thought too, but I'll definitely keep an eye on their shows to see if anything is worth checking out.
    Elisa
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    There is literally not enough hours in the day to keep up with all this content. I don't have enough time to add a new service. Unless I hear about a show on there that just blows people away and changes the game, I'll probably pass.
    ElisaTeresa from Concordrkcrawf
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco

Comedy from the people who brought us It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia creators Rob McElhenney and Charlie Day will head this series, which is set in a video game development studio. It’s their first collaboration since It’s Always Sunny. Danny Pudi and F. Murray Abraham will star.

Man, that sounds great but I can't keep paying 10+ bucks a month for all this shit

• edited March 25
    What’s with Showtime and HBO being involved in this? I read something about accessing HBO for $9.99 separately through Apple TV+? But HBO are supposedly launching a worldwide service later this year also? Very confusing.

I have no idea at this point. It’s 2019 and still no solid information on when the UK will have access to HBO other than buying box sets. 
  • What’s with Showtime and HBO being involved in this? I read something about accessing HBO for $9.99 separately through Apple TV+? But HBO are supposedly launching a worldwide service later this year also? Very confusing.

I have no idea at this point. It’s 2019 and still no solid information on when the UK will have access to HBO other than buying box sets. 
    HBO, SHowtime, Starz, etc. already have similar agreements with Amazon, Hulu Live TV, Youtube TV, etc., where you can subscribe to the channel and access it from within the app so you don't have to use standalone apps for each premium channel you want. So nothing new with Apple TV+ here.