Twilight Zone

Heads up, the first episode is free (no CBS All Access required). Figured this show would get some discussion here.


telephoneofmadnessMichelle

Comments

  • I haven't watched it yet, but my pre-emptive reaction: noooooo!

    This is something that never needed to be rebooted.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    any idea if they're going to be stories based off some of the original classics or brand new ones? they've tried several times to re-boot it (shout out Forest Whitaker) and it's always stunk. CBS so my expectations are quite low.

  • I haven't watched it yet, but my pre-emptive reaction: noooooo!

    This is something that never needed to be rebooted.
    Chinaski said:
    any idea if they're going to be stories based off some of the original classics or brand new ones? they've tried several times to re-boot it (shout out Forest Whitaker) and it's always stunk. CBS so my expectations are quite low.


    I dunno I'm willing to give it a shot considering Jordan Peele's involvement. 
    telephoneofmadness
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I haven't watched it yet, but my pre-emptive reaction: noooooo!

    This is something that never needed to be rebooted.
    It has been rebooted before though. And I love myself a good anthology. Plus it has Jordan Peele and some X-Files writers involved as well if memory serves. I am so down for this. It isn't going to change any of the amazing things that the first one did. 
  • So... I watched the first episode. Maybe I'll withhold judgement until I see more episodes, except to say it wasn't as bad as "The Bewitchin' Pool".
    Chinaski
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited April 2
    I haven't watched it yet, but my pre-emptive reaction: noooooo!

    This is something that never needed to be rebooted.

    to be fair, the 'Twilight Zone' moniker doesn't really mean to much, just a label to throw onto some short stories that may not really fit into anything else. Same as Outer Limits or Tales from the Crypt, Electric Dreams on Amazon, etc. 

    If the stories are good and well produced shouldn't matter. The name is just to get you in the door   :)


  • Note - I've never seen OG Twilight zone

    Watched the first episode on youtube. It was fine, but I was under the assumption that the Twilight Zone was supposed to be creepier - and while this episode was certainly trying to shoot in a way that felt like a horror movie, and the premise was mildly interesting, it didn't really give me the willies or make me want to pay for CBS all access or early access or full access or whatever the fuck it is. 

    It honestly felt like a mid-season episode rather than a 1st one meant to hook you on a show. 
  • asmallcat said:


    It honestly felt like a mid-season episode rather than a 1st one meant to hook you on a show. 
    I agree with you on this. Also, TTZ was never supposed to be a horror series, it’s more of a mildly creepy dystopian social commentary show.
  • Also, I love Jordan Peele, but I couldn’t tell if his Rod Sterling impression was supposed to be taken seriously or not. He does a very similar face and tone in Key and Peele sketches so I couldn’t help be laugh— but not out of ridicule 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    TTZ had a number of different tones. It wasn't like Tales from the Crypt (for the most part) or Black Mirror in that regard. There would be humorous episodes (which usually fell flat on their face), episodes that dealt heavily in irony, some straight up horror episodes, some that just had creepiness that was seeping in around the edges, some that just were filled to the brim with heart. It ran the gamut. The best were the ones that had something to say about the human condition in some capacity.  
    gguenot
  • edited April 3
    So... I watched the second episode -- "Nightmare at 30,000 Feet". I was pretty disappointed by this one.

    THERE WAS NO GREMLIN!!! The gremlin is classic. I wanted to see the gremlin. They even referenced the gremlin by having a gremlin toy wash up on the beach at the end. I also didn't like that this had twist after twist. First, no gremlin. Then the twist that the passenger was evil. Then the main character surviving the crash (also, unbelievable that all the passengers would survive). Then having the main character get murdered. So unnecessary, they could have just ended it with the plane flying into the clouds.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    wait what? @telephoneofmadness i'm guessing it's suppose be like 'Nightmare at 20,000 Feet' (didn't click on your spoilers)? that's obviously a classic OG TZ eps.
    telephoneofmadness
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    asmallcat said:
    Note - I've never seen OG Twilight zone

    Watched the first episode on youtube. It was fine, but I was under the assumption that the Twilight Zone was supposed to be creepier - and while this episode was certainly trying to shoot in a way that felt like a horror movie, and the premise was mildly interesting, it didn't really give me the willies or make me want to pay for CBS all access or early access or full access or whatever the fuck it is. 

    It honestly felt like a mid-season episode rather than a 1st one meant to hook you on a show. 
    Honestly, a lot of OG TZ is schmaltzy shit. People have rose coloured glasses about the show because there are maybe 20 really good episodes. Even of those, not that many are scary - they’re more like progressive morality plays, 1950s version of Black Mirror. 
  • Dee said:
    asmallcat said:
    Note - I've never seen OG Twilight zone

    Watched the first episode on youtube. It was fine, but I was under the assumption that the Twilight Zone was supposed to be creepier - and while this episode was certainly trying to shoot in a way that felt like a horror movie, and the premise was mildly interesting, it didn't really give me the willies or make me want to pay for CBS all access or early access or full access or whatever the fuck it is. 

    It honestly felt like a mid-season episode rather than a 1st one meant to hook you on a show. 
    Honestly, a lot of OG TZ is schmaltzy shit. People have rose coloured glasses about the show because there are maybe 20 really good episodes. Even of those, not that many are scary - they’re more like progressive morality plays, 1950s version of Black Mirror. 
    This is blasphemy! This is madness!
    DeeCapeGabeblacksunrise7
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    I watched the first episode, and I agree it's not a very strong start. If this is what they chose to start the series off with, what are they going to be showing half-way through the season when they need to hide stuff that didn't quite work?

    The premise was fine and was in line with what the Twilight Zone was, but they didn't have nearly enough for an hour-long episode. There were way too many scenes of purposely unfunny comedy and the twist was obvious from the start. It probably could have been a fantastic 30-minute episode.
    telephoneofmadness
  • I watched episode 3.

    Hmmm... I wasn't sure what the message was here. Hide underground? Avoid being killed by the police by always being in a big group of people and recording with phone cameras? It's impossible to escape being killed by the police without time travel? Nothing they tried worked, but the epilogue made it seem like the story had been resolved even though the camera was broken.

    Anyway, we're three episodes in and there's still nothing interesting happening IMO.
  • Dee said:
    asmallcat said:
    Note - I've never seen OG Twilight zone

    Watched the first episode on youtube. It was fine, but I was under the assumption that the Twilight Zone was supposed to be creepier - and while this episode was certainly trying to shoot in a way that felt like a horror movie, and the premise was mildly interesting, it didn't really give me the willies or make me want to pay for CBS all access or early access or full access or whatever the fuck it is. 

    It honestly felt like a mid-season episode rather than a 1st one meant to hook you on a show. 
    Honestly, a lot of OG TZ is schmaltzy shit. People have rose coloured glasses about the show because there are maybe 20 really good episodes. Even of those, not that many are scary - they’re more like progressive morality plays, 1950s version of Black Mirror. 
    Totally agree, which makes it a science fiction (not horror!) series in the truest sense.
  • I watched episode 3.

    Hmmm... I wasn't sure what the message was here. Hide underground? Avoid being killed by the police by always being in a big group of people and recording with phone cameras? It's impossible to escape being killed by the police without time travel? Nothing they tried worked, but the epilogue made it seem like the story had been resolved even though the camera was broken.

    Anyway, we're three episodes in and there's still nothing interesting happening IMO.
    Assuming you’re white, I don’t think this episode was for you to fully understand, and that’s ok
    Elisa
  • edited April 19
    I watched episode 4.

    Like I said in my first post: noooooo!

    There was more heavy-handed racial stuff dumped into this episode. I don't like that TZ is being hijacked for this. It isn't even as if this reboot has been good, which makes the hijacking even worse. And at the end of the story, after complaining multiple times about being under the boot of white people, the Native American prisoner says to the alien invader, "You know, maybe it will be better with you guys running things." WTF. So what is the message here? That the solution to Native Americans being conquered is alien invasion? Like the previous episode, "Rewind", "A Traveler" seems to hint at a social problem, then drops the mic and flounces away without offering any proper exploration or resolution.

    This episode seems like it borrows from the original series' "The Howling Man" and "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street". And they referenced the gremlin from "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" AGAIN, just to rub our faces in the fact that there was no gremlin.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I watched episode 4.

    There was more heavy-handed racial stuff dumped into this episode. I don't like that TZ is being hijacked for this. 

    Submitted for your approval: the case of the white man. Put on this earth to enjoy media made for them and by them, but now finding themselves lost in a world where they are not the only people on it. They cling to their concept of the Classic unaware when they've slipped into the Paleozoic, the Jurassic, and eventually.... the Twilight Zone.
    telephoneofmadnessgguenotDee
  • JaimieT said:
    I watched episode 4.

    There was more heavy-handed racial stuff dumped into this episode. I don't like that TZ is being hijacked for this. 

    Submitted for your approval: the case of the white man. Put on this earth to enjoy media made for them and by them, but now finding themselves lost in a world where they are not the only people on it. They cling to their concept of the Classic unaware when they've slipped into the Paleozoic, the Jurassic, and eventually.... the Twilight Zone.
    Lazy.

    Are you watching this season? Any comments on the episodes?
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I get people wanting more subtle commentary. But The Twilight Zone was never a subtle show. They had an intro and an outro where the narrator literally explained the themes of what you just witnessed. Also, in a day when subtlety can be completely missed it seems like their only option when trying to make a point.

    I will be the first to say that this season is hit or miss. But so far I am still looking forward to new episodes. It is sleekly shot and I love the diversity we are getting in the actors that are chosen. There are some things that could be tightened up, but inconsistencies are standard with anthology shows (which I realize sounds like an excuse).

    The show has its downfalls, but  I have a hard time calling them on the heavy-handedness or racial themes when that is the sandbox the show has always played in. 
    Alkaid13gguenotElisa
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Watching the second episode. Was like the narrator sounds familiar. Then i was like holy shit. Dan Carlin? Googled it and sure enough it’s him. 
    Elisa
  • The show feels sooo 80’s with a fresh coat of paint. I do not believe the show is cynical enough.  Which is a liability in this age. One of the best moments is in episode 4 is when conquest by an outside force is seen from a previously conquered person’s perspective. The brother was like ‘meet the new boss, can’t be better than the old one’ (couldn’t cut a deal with the old one). I think the new TZ suffers from an unwillingness to leave an ending ambiguous. The plane flying into the clouds...cutting to black  (no pun intended) before the campus scenes. Big risks sure. But the alternatives diminish the final art, I believe.
    telephoneofmadness
  • edited April 28
    The show feels sooo 80’s with a fresh coat of paint. I do not believe the show is cynical enough.  Which is a liability in this age. One of the best moments is in episode 4 is when conquest by an outside force is seen from a previously conquered person’s perspective. The brother was like ‘meet the new boss, can’t be better than the old one’ (couldn’t cut a deal with the old one). I think the new TZ suffers from an unwillingness to leave an ending ambiguous. The plane flying into the clouds...cutting to black  (no pun intended) before the campus scenes. Big risks sure. But the alternatives diminish the final art, I believe.
    I wasn't sure if that scene with the brother was supposed to be a joke. Earlier in the episode he accuses his sister of selling out to white people, then he basically sells out to the aliens for a piece of pie.

    An example of something in this season that annoyed me: in "Nightmare at 30,000 Feet" the camera kept cutting to this brown woman (China Shavers) in a hoodie, mean mugging the camera and looking as suspicious as hell. At this point I was still expecting a gremlin to bring down the plane and thought, "why do they keep cutting to this woman?" Then the show reveals that the woman is the air marshal, and it's obviously supposed to be a "gotcha" moment for the audience -- "You thought the brown woman was a terrorist, you racists." A reviewer on IMDB said this season's direction was "insidious", and I can't disagree.

    I thought "Replay" was fine until they got to the uncle's house and went through the tunnels, etc..

    Everything since at least episode 2 has been a worse remix of episodes from older seasons.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    I didn’t feel like anyone of Color or race was the bad guy. I knew the bad guy was the douche from Silicon Valley cuz all he plays is douchebags. Maybe people who thought the arabs, brown people or Russians were bad guys was because they already had pre-conceived notions those people were...
  • Hatorian said:
    I didn’t feel like anyone of Color or race was the bad guy. I knew the bad guy was the douche from Silicon Valley cuz all he plays is douchebags. Maybe people who thought the arabs, brown people or Russians were bad guys was because they already had pre-conceived notions those people were...
    No, the creators deliberately made those passengers seem guilty to trick the audience. Bad faith direction, which undermines any point the episode was trying to make about racism.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Hatorian said:
    I didn’t feel like anyone of Color or race was the bad guy. I knew the bad guy was the douche from Silicon Valley cuz all he plays is douchebags. Maybe people who thought the arabs, brown people or Russians were bad guys was because they already had pre-conceived notions those people were...
    No, the creators deliberately made those passengers seem guilty to trick the audience. Bad faith direction, which undermines any point the episode was trying to make about racism.
    Agree to disagree. I thought it was pretty clear who the bad guy was from the beginning. 
    telephoneofmadness
Sign In or Register to comment.