New Joker Trailer

edited April 3 in Movies
I have to say, this is the first time I’m excited to see a DC movie since Dark Knight Rises was released. Joaquin Phoenix fits the Joker role perfectly in my opinion. He’s a Joker himself in a lot of ways haha. His Joker laugh is 10/10. Nails it. Can’t wait for the first watch in October.

I couldnt find it on YouTube yet so here’s the twitter link to the trailer

https://twitter.com/jokermovie/status/1113425942574034945/video/1
cdriveChinaskirhcoopblue_sleeveCretanBull

Comments

• Yep, Joaquin will almost certainly be amazing.  Now they just need to build a worthy movie around him.  Definitely looking forward to this one.
    HatorianJTKIIIcdriveNoel
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Ho.
    Lee.
    SHIT!!!!!!

He’s coming after Heath Ledger’s crown and it looks like he’s gonna get it.  
    JTKIIINoelken hale
  • Wow. 

I was always more optimistic of this movie's potential than your average comicbook movie fan, but this looks fantastic. I hope its as good as it looks.
  • Damn, I feel like the odd  man out here. I love Joaquin Phoenix (he's the only watchable part of Gladiator IMO), but I have 0 interest in this movie. I don't need to know how the joker became the joker. I like that he just sort of is, he's this elemental force of chaos, I don't need to know about his home life. 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    This looks amazing. 
    cdriveNoel
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City

cdrive said:
    Ho.
    Lee.
    SHIT!!!!!!

Maybe, but boy that's a bold statement. Part of what made Heath Ledger's joker great was the script. If he didn't have Nolan's story to go along with the great performance, we don't talk about it the same way.

• asmallcat said:
    Damn, I feel like the odd  man out here. I love Joaquin Phoenix (he's the only watchable part of Gladiator IMO), but I have 0 interest in this movie. I don't need to know how the joker became the joker. I like that he just sort of is, he's this elemental force of chaos, I don't need to know about his home life. 
    Ahh I’m the polar opposite. I think a well written background story on the Joker could be amazing. I’d love to know more about his transformation into the Joker and the roots of his character. 
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    edited April 3
    asmallcat said:
    Damn, I feel like the odd  man out here. I love Joaquin Phoenix (he's the only watchable part of Gladiator IMO), but I have 0 interest in this movie. I don't need to know how the joker became the joker. I like that he just sort of is, he's this elemental force of chaos, I don't need to know about his home life. 

I'm with you on that. This movie feels unnecessary and having a mysterious past I always thought was part of what made him interesting. If they're going to do it I hope there's more to it than people made fun of his clown makeup and he got mugged so he turned into a criminal cause society is like, so unjust, man. Just going off what's in this trailer this dude could have just as easily ended up on 4chan.
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    JTKIII said:
    I have to say, this is the first time I’m excited to see a DC movie since Dark Knight Rises was released. Joaquin Phoenix fits the Joker role perfectly in my opinion. He’s a Joker himself in a lot of ways haha. His Joker laugh is 10/10. Nails it. Can’t wait for the first watch in October.

I wonder if that boy he's reaching through the gate at is Bruce?  

I think the guy that played the DA in True Detective is playing Thomas Wayne, but I may be mistaken. 
    cdrive
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    Is the idea that this is a separate universe from the other DC characters?

I like the idea of this as completely stand-alone story where batman/superman/wonder woman/aquaman/crazy space aliens don't exist at all and it's just this guys descent into madness and creating chaos around him. 

If it's a no-superhero universe and rated R this could be a pretty intense movie for sure
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I just want a really dark story, nothing held back.
    Joker is the worst make him the worst.
    gguenotcdriveJTKIIINoel
    Aw shit yeah! That IS Frances Conroy playing his mother!

I am so fucking in on this.  
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    JTKIII said:

I haven't watched it yet, but it probably helps based on what I've read that it is pretty divorced from the canonical DC Cinematic Universe. I may be totally wrong in that, but its just the impression that I've received. 
    edited April 3
    rhcoop said:

I think the guy that played the DA in True Detective is playing Thomas Wayne, but I may be mistaken. 
    Yep, you're right.  Just checked on IMDB.  That's Brett Cullen playing Thomas Wayne and the boy is Dante Pereira-Olson playing young Bruce Wayne.  
    rhcoop
    redlancer said:
    Is the idea that this is a separate universe from the other DC characters?

I like the idea of this as completely stand-alone story where batman/superman/wonder woman/aquaman/crazy space aliens don't exist at all and it's just this guys descent into madness and creating chaos around him. 

If it's a no-superhero universe and rated R this could be a pretty intense movie for sure
    I'm pretty sure this is a totally separate universe than the current DC movies.  They are going to open it up and have movies that don't have to tie into the bigger story.

Shazam is part of the connected universe, but this Joker movie is all on its own.  Kind of like a better/grittier version of Gotham. 
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    kinda makes me wanna put clown makeup on my profile pic. 
    gguenotJimNoelTeresa from Concordblue_sleeve
    Chinaski said:
    now that you said it, you kinda have to...
    ChinaskiNoelblue_sleeve
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited April 3
    I don't mind the Joker not being a mystery, since this is a one-shot character study instead being in-universe building towards more movies with this particular Joker. If this were a Batman movie or part of the DCEU, I would agree that I like the mystery of his background.

If anyone wants the trailer from youtube, here it is
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t433PEQGErc

JTKIII
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    No need for another trailer, I’m sold. Also shout out to my girl Zazie Beetz.
  • As a comic book nerd I don't want a Joker origin, but I assume that this movie will be framed like his 'origin' in "The Killing Joke" where he tells Batman a story of how he came to be, but then brushes it all aside by saying something like "Sometimes I remember it that way, sometimes I remember it another way" and they leave it up to reader to decide for themselves if you want to accept that as an origin or not.  The fact that they show him as a struggling standup comic suggests that they're at least borrowing from "The Killing Joke".
    gguenotblue_sleeve
  • Dang, I was 100% "this movie's existence is a travesty" but the trailer did it for me.  At this point, I'd really like to see Joaquin's Joker, but I still don't care to see Joker's origin.  There's just no way to do that and trying to is a misunderstanding of the character.  This is just gonna be, like, Falling Down or something with clown makeup.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited April 4
    Noel said:
    No need for another trailer, I’m sold. Also shout out to my girl Zazie Beetz.

And I saw Brian Tyree Henry in there - I'm all for Atlanta actors being in everything!
    NoelDummy
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I don't mind retconned, alternate universe, or non-canonical takes on a character. Like, that's the most comic book thing you can do. If the comic book genre continues to mature in theaters, that's the next step to take it. Sure you have your grand narratives, but you also have these other takes and they're both not strictly real but what the public consciousness of what the Joker or Wolverine or Captain America or Black Widow, etc will kind of shift and merge with all of these interpretations making them richer and you just kind of roll with it. 
    FlukesJTKIII
    As a comic book nerd I don't want a Joker origin, but I assume that this movie will be framed like his 'origin' in "The Killing Joke" where he tells Batman a story of how he came to be, but then brushes it all aside by saying something like "Sometimes I remember it that way, sometimes I remember it another way" and they leave it up to reader to decide for themselves if you want to accept that as an origin or not.  The fact that they show him as a struggling standup comic suggests that they're at least borrowing from "The Killing Joke".
    I hope this does well because it will most likely open the door for more films based on Elseworlds stories like Gotham by Gaslight, Dark Knight Returns. Red Rain, New Frontier or Red Son.

As long as their main line keeps improving (Shazam is supposed to be really good and I'm seeing it tonight) and they can do these different one offs, it's pretty exciting because that presents a lot wider range of stories to tell. 
    CretanBullken hale
  • rhcoop said:
    As a comic book nerd I don't want a Joker origin, but I assume that this movie will be framed like his 'origin' in "The Killing Joke" where he tells Batman a story of how he came to be, but then brushes it all aside by saying something like "Sometimes I remember it that way, sometimes I remember it another way" and they leave it up to reader to decide for themselves if you want to accept that as an origin or not.  The fact that they show him as a struggling standup comic suggests that they're at least borrowing from "The Killing Joke".
    I hope this does well because it will most likely open the door for more films based on Elseworlds stories like Gotham by Gaslight, Dark Knight Returns. Red Rain, New Frontier or Red Son.

As long as their main line keeps improving (Shazam is supposed to be really good and I'm seeing it tonight) and they can do these different one offs, it's pretty exciting because that presents a lot wider range of stories to tell. 
    The rest of their movies are so bad that if this does well they can scrap the entire mainline universe and make this elseworld'suniverse the new official DC cinematic U.
    rhcoop said:

The rest of their movies are so bad that if this does well they can scrap the entire mainline universe and make this elseworld'suniverse the new official DC cinematic U.
    That's your opinion, but their movies are getting better per critics and audiences.  I hope they all do well (MCU, DC, Dark Horse) so we get more of them. 
  • I don't mind retconned, alternate universe, or non-canonical takes on a character. Like, that's the most comic book thing you can do. If the comic book genre continues to mature in theaters, that's the next step to take it. Sure you have your grand narratives, but you also have these other takes and they're both not strictly real but what the public consciousness of what the Joker or Wolverine or Captain America or Black Widow, etc will kind of shift and merge with all of these interpretations making them richer and you just kind of roll with it. 
    Exactly. A well done background movie on the Joker with Joaquin Phoenix playing the lead has me excited. He can take the Joker’s depth to new levels because we all know his story to be tragic. I want to know that tragedy and the depths of it. How he becomes the Joker fascinates me. I’m really hoping we get that picture.

The undertone for the trailer leads me to believe it’s more dark than one would depict. I don’t believe it’s as simple as him getting bullied in the streets/subway that lead to his transformation. Sure it’s a part of it but you can see he has a bizarre relationship with his mother and there is a romantic relationship implied as well. 

I guess we’ll see but I’m all in on this movie.
    rhcoop
    what do you guys think? i can see Todd Phillips getting cheeky:

• walktheskywalkthesky New York
    edited April 5
    kuman07 said:

cdrive said:
    Ho.
    Lee.
    SHIT!!!!!!

Maybe, but boy that's a bold statement. Part of what made Heath Ledger's joker great was the script. If he didn't have Nolan's story to go along with the great performance, we don't talk about it the same way.

What he or she said /\
    cdrive said:
    Chinaski said:
    now that you said it, you kinda have to...
    this work @cdrive? 3 month later, but better late than never right? <continues to shower in Purell after taking off that silly Raptors profile pic>.

cdrive