What We Do In The Shadows on FX

MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
edited April 5 in Other TV
Is anyone watching this? It is very, very good. It's a brilliant adaptation of one of the best comedies in the last ten years. And the first episode is directed by  Taika Watiti and written by Jemaine Clement so it starts very strong and episode 2 kept it going.

You do not need to have seen the movie. I highly recommend you do though if you have not. Not because of story reasons, it's a completely different story and characters and location. The movie is brilliant though. It's a documentary about real vampires that live in New Zealand. The show is about three vampires that live in Staten Island.
ChinaskigguenotFlukescdriveliquidmeliTravis

Comments

• Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Watching it and loving it. 
    MurderbearTravis
  • I love this show so much! I thought the movie was hilarious and off-beat and very unique, and they have managed to capture that magic all over again on the show with a completely different cast and characters.
    MurderbearTravis
  • I'm not even gonna spoil last night's cameos ("The Trial") for anyone who hasn't watched it, other than to say it was jam-packed with them and was one of the funniest, most meta episodes ever, and I loved every second of it.
    Anyone who is even a little bit into the off-kilter aesthetic and humor of Jemaine Clement or Taika Waititi should be watching this show. I don't know if A. Ron and Cecily watch this, but I think they would love it if they did.
    MurderbearMattyWeavesTravis
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    THEY MADE MORE OF THIS, YAAAAAAAS.

I tell everyone to watch this movie and no one does.
    MurderbearTravis
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Yeah, this is one of those movies that I scream from the mountaintop about and unless I sit down and essentially make someone watch, they won't. I feel like sometimes the more enthusiastic I am about a movie/show/book/game whatever, it's like it has the reverse effect of people. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    I haven't seen the show yet, but I've heard that it's good.  I love the movie!
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I meant to ask in here if it was good. The viral marketing campaign has definitely reached me on social media.

Thanks for the recommendation.
    MurderbearMarciTravis
    Marci said:
    I'm not even gonna spoil last night's cameos ("The Trial") for anyone who hasn't watched it, other than to say it was jam-packed with them and was one of the funniest, most meta episodes ever, and I loved every second of it. 

I am not caught up but your comment intrigued me. May need to do a bit of binging tonight!
    MarciTravis
  • It is truly hilarious! If you liked the movie, you will 100% love this!
    MurderbearTravis
    @Marci Thank you for not spoiling those cameos! Absolutely amazing! I had a guess for some of them but the others were so good! This show is perfect.
    MarciMattyWeavesFlukesTravis
  • You're welcome @Murderbear - I would hate to ruin the fun! Also thought some of name dropping about who couldn't make it was very funny.
    MurderbearFlukesTravis
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    The cameos. Genius. 
    MurderbearMarciTravis
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    That was absolutely amazing.

That person, and that one? Awesome, what the hell, that person too? OH MY GOD WHAT? That's so cool, whhaaaaaaat?!? Surely this must be it-what the hell is happening?

This show has been consistently getting better every week. It was so good I thought it was the finale of the season.

I want to be Nadja's familiar.
    MarciElisaTravis
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    I wasn’t bowled over by the first one but I’m still comparing it to the movie in my mind and the fact that I like Clement and Waititi so much means it’s hard for the new people to compete. 

One of the actors is from Garth Merengi’s Dark Place though, which I loved. 

Binged! Loved it!
    MurderbearMarci
    The vampire who is the dick to his familiar is getting on my last nerves. I find the humor they're going for there to be played out and grating. Consequently I can't stand that character. It might be the actor too, IDK. Because the actor who is playing the husband vampire is seriously elevating his material.

I'm loving everything else about the show and ready for them to go back to the college freshman subplot. Glad we just finished the subplot we did (vague for spoilers).
    Travis
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Last two Episodes had me in stitches.  I love me some Doug Jones but I too am curious to see what's next.
    MurderbearTravis
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Haven't caught up with the show yet, but it still blows me away that someone at Marvel watched What We Do in the Shadows and thought, "Hey, let's give that guy 200 million to make a Thor movie."
    MarciTravis
  • I finally caught up with the show and love it. I wonder how long they can stretch the material though. There is definitely more than the movie to mine but I don't know how long they can sustain the show before it gets stale.
    CapeGabe said:
    I finally caught up with the show and love it. I wonder how long they can stretch the material though. There is definitely more than the movie to mine but I don't know how long they can sustain the show before it gets stale.

The college freshman will be their saving grace. She'll probably try to update them (like in the movie) and she'll have shenanigans on campus. 
    CapeGabe
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Orgy episode was great. Seinfuck. This show is firing on all cylinders. 
    MurderbearMarciTravis
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    Cameos. 

Also, "Bite your lip." "Owww." 
    MurderbearMarci
  • I didn't realize there was a thread for this. Two words: Werewolf fight!

The cameos and subsequent name drops were goddamn amazing! I also loved the whole city council episode. Man, I love this show so much!
    fidozMarciMurderbear
  • It took me a minute to realize that the lead werewolf was Dave (Arj Barker) from Flight of the Conchords. I was happy to see him!
    Murderbear
  • Marci said:
    It took me a minute to realize that the lead werewolf was Dave (Arj Barker) from Flight of the Conchords. I was happy to see him!
    Oh man. I thought he looked familiar. That's super cool. I actually just meant that the werewolf fight was hilarious (biggest laugh I've had in quite some time, actually) and the cameos separately (most notably from The Trial, of course) were completely brilliant.
    Marci
    Travis said:
    Marci said:
    It took me a minute to realize that the lead werewolf was Dave (Arj Barker) from Flight of the Conchords. I was happy to see him!
    Oh man. I thought he looked familiar. That's super cool. I actually just meant that the werewolf fight was hilarious (biggest laugh I've had in quite some time, actually) and the cameos separately (most notably from The Trial, of course) were completely brilliant.
    The werewolves were the best part of the movie too.

"We’re werewolves, not swearwolves."
    TravisMarci
  • I can't wait to check out the movie. It's basically at the top of my list now.
    Murderbear
    Travis said:
    I can't wait to check out the movie. It's basically at the top of my list now.
    Oh man. Yes yes yes! It's so good!
    Travis
  • Ha! Guillermo’s ancestry discovery... he’s great.
    And Laszlo referencing “the Jeebus man” in the stained glass windows.
    Also, I think Mark Proksch is so hilarious. Just seeing his pictures in the intro makes me laugh every time. I’m sad that the season is over already, but it’s been so much fun watching it!
    Murderbear
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    New episode!

100% white....

lazslo killing Gregor everytime 

so good. This is on par with Its Always Sunny and Rick and Morty. 
    MurderbearMarci