Interesting article from NBA Player Kyle Korver about Privilege

edited April 8 in General
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/kyle-korver-utah-jazz-nba

Several really thoughtful points in the article. I really liked this part: "What I’m realizing is, no matter how passionately I commit to being an ally, and no matter how unwavering my support is for NBA and WNBA players of color….. I’m still in this conversation from the privileged perspective of opting in to it. Which of course means that on the flip side, I could just as easily opt out of it. Every day, I’m given that choice — I’m granted that privilege — based on the color of my skin."

As well as: "But as disgraceful as it is that we have to deal with racist hecklers in NBA arenas in 2019? The truth is, you could argue that that kind of racism is “easier” to deal with.

Because at least in those cases, the racism is loud and clear. There’s no ambiguity — not in the act itself, and thankfully not in the response: we throw the guy out of the building, and then we ban him for life.

But in many ways the more dangerous form of racism isn’t that loud and stupid kind. It isn’t the kind that announces itself when it walks into the arena. It’s the quiet and subtle kind. The kind that almost hides itself in plain view. It’s the person who does and says all the “right” things in public: They’re perfectly friendly when they meet a person of color. They’re very polite. But in private? Well….. they sort of wish that everyone would stop making everything “about race” all the time.."

telephoneofmadnessDeeCeciliaM

Comments

• I agree up until the last sentence. I wish that people would stop trying to start WW3 in every trivial discussion in daily life.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I have no idea who this guy is, but I like him. His words are very thoughtful and it’s always good to see white people recognise their privilege. 

Racism in sport is a bit of a thing here too - we have quite a few indigenous football players, as well as some from Sudanese backgrounds. They cop a lot of shit and it’s pretty disgusting that it mostly gets written off as “sledging the other team”. A few years ago one of our indigenous players pointed out someone in the crowd screaming racist abuse at him and had them removed, and it turned out to be a 13 year old girl. He was slaughtered in the media and among sports fans as weak. Once he realised how young she was he even apologised to her for singling her out (not that I think he should have had to - 13 is old enough to know what racist abuse is), he still copped a ton of shit, and ending up retiring because he was constantly booed and abused. It was gross, and really sad. I can’t even imagine how exhausting it must be going through every day dealing with *something* to do with the colour of your skin - whether it’s outright abuse or more subtle things like a store owner keeping a hawk eye on you while you shop. I’m never going to tell a POC that they shouldn’t be making things about race, because even I as a white person can see that a hell of a lot of time it is, and they’re actually living it. 
    nstinson
  • I'm curious how many people read this and hadn't heard the Thabo news story he references. I've sent this link to a few friends, none of them big sports fan, and none of them had ever heard of it.

I appreciate how Kyle kind of addresses the idea that he's in this weird situation where he has to come to grips with why some people like him - knowing it's pretty much because he's Not Brown and the levels of commitment to that aspect some people get to. Him saying, "I believe in X and that's part of being a fan or a sponsor of mine" was a great way to wrap that up. 
    nstinson
  • I saw that too. I thought it was a really thoughtful approach to the topic while still being really down to earth and relatable.
    nstinson
  • Kyle is a former classmate of mine.  Really proud of him for what he did here, this took a lot of courage.  
    DeeCeciliaMnstinson