Comments

• I don’t think there is a good business case for them to offload HBO Europe, it’d dilute the value of it as a pay streaming platform of the future. I could totally see them selling their stake in Hulu since Disney now has a controlling interest in it anyway. Suspect they’ll build out another tier of membership for HBO Now with access to other Warner properties rather than sell off international rights/properties (unless the EU mandates it].
  • edited April 10
    LordBy said:
    I don’t think there is a good business case for them to offload HBO Europe, it’d dilute the value of it as a pay streaming platform of the future. I could totally see them selling their stake in Hulu since Disney now has a controlling interest in it anyway. Suspect they’ll build out another tier of membership for HBO Now with access to other Warner properties rather than sell off international rights/properties (unless the EU mandates it].
    I feel like a broken record, but I don’t understand why is it so difficult to have a worldwide streaming service with the entire HBO catalogue in one place. Don’t they OWN the rights to this stuff? Surely that’s priority before doubling down on content production. 
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited April 11
    What is HBO Europe? As far as I've been aware they've dont have different original programming shows created by HBO Europe.... right? I know that there is an HBO Spain, because they are always responsible for accidentally releasing episodes early. And an HBO Asia, along with others. I just thought those were divisions for programing purposes in those areas, rather than partitioning what is in each divisions library.

HBO NOW gives me access to all episodes, docs and movies of every original programming that HBO has ever produced. For whatever reason I know many in the UK cant get access to HBO NOW and have to subscribe to HBO through Sky TV package or whatever British state media they have going on over there. I dont think that's the fault of HBO though. I assume they would allow people from anywhere to subscribe to HBO Now if there wasnt so much red tape in these countries. They would certainly have to bulk up their servers, but it would bring them more money.
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited April 11
    Also, this is off topic, but dont most people these days (in America) have HBO NOW rather than HBO Go? At least the cord cutters, right? I used HBO GO a long time ago, but as far as I'm aware that is just an extra streaming service HBO provides when you subscribe to HBO through a satellite or cable service, and you login to it using your cable/satellite login.

Yet it seems everyone still calls it all "HBO GO" even when they would (I assume) be using a standalone service like HBO Now due to cutting the cord. I dont know if it's just a branding thing that people got used to calling it "HBO Go" before HBO launched their HBO NOW service, or if there are just still a lot of people using that old service with their cable package.
  • edited April 11
    What is HBO Europe? As far as I've been aware they've dont have different original programming shows created by HBO Europe.... right? I know that there is an HBO Spain, because they are always responsible for accidentally releasing episodes early. And an HBO Asia, along with others. I just thought those were divisions for programing purposes in those areas, rather than partitioning what is in each divisions library.

HBO Now gives me access to all episodes, docs and movies of every original programming that HBO has ever produced. For whatever reason I know many in the UK cant get access to HBO Now and have to subscribe to HBO through Sky TV package or whatever British state media they have going on over there. I dont think that's the fault of HBO though. I assume they would allow people from anywhere to subscribe to HBO Now if there wasnt so much red tape in these countries. They would certainly have to bulk up their servers, but it would bring them more money.
    Yeah there is a Sky streaming service called NOW TV. Which carries SOME stuff like The Sopranos, Deadwood, The Wire, Sex and The City etc. All of these shows have a week to a month long deadline before they will disappear off the service completely. Some will pop back up again randomly at a later date, some won’t.
    And new releases (True Detective 3 & Sharp Objects for example) are deleted pretty much as soon as the season wraps. Like Netflix, NOW TV is also crammed with random nothing shows that I will never watch that will never be removed. 

This is not worth £10 a month.. It’s not as if I have a comfortable relaxed experience when choosing what to watch. It’s simply NOT access to HBO. Its literally a trial version and I hate it.

This is just the TV package, the Movie package does the exact same thing but oh wait.. gotta pay another £10 for that.