BBQ!!

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
edited April 11 in General
what’s your jan! Carolina, Texas, Memphis, KC or Other?

edit: technical difficulties on my phone  :|
Noelcdrive

Comments

• NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    No surprise here, to me Texas reigns supreme. I’ve had it all over the state and I would probably say overall, the Austin area of the state has the best in the state. But my best experience in Texas has been in Dallas at Cattleack. I went there for the second time about a month ago, and it was just as glorious as the first time.

I loved my experience up in Kansas City. Joe’s was delicious. I went to the OG location attached to the gas station. Gate’s was really good, their portions were huge. I was pretty hammered when I went to Arthur Bryant’s so I don’t remember much of it, but I finished it so it had to be tasty.

I hope to try Memphis and Carolina’s BBQ one day
    ChinaskiNaugustineMichellecdrive
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Noel said:
    No surprise here, to me Texas reigns supreme. I’ve had it all over the state and I would probably say overall, the Austin area of the state has the best in the state. But my best experience in Texas has been in Dallas at Cattleack. I went there for the second time about a month ago, and it was just as glorious as the first time.

I loved my experience up in Kansas City. Joe’s was delicious. I went to the OG location attached to the gas station. Gate’s was really good, their portions were huge. I was pretty hammered when I went to Arthur Bryant’s so I don’t remember much of it, but I finished it so it had to be tasty.

I hope to try Memphis and Carolina’s BBQ one day
    i had some really good BBQ when i was in Dallas last year. Lockhart. we wanted to go to Pecan Lounge but the line was silly long. when i travel to Austin for work we do Terry Blacks, it’s good and not crazy packed like most ‘great/good’ BBQ spots in Austin. 
    MichellecdriveNoel
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    What’s the differences? 
  • Oh @Chinaski you could be starting a war here lol. Probably region bias but I love Kansas City bbq. There’s so many good choices if you visit KC. Personal favs are Jack Stack, Q39, LC’s and Joes. 

Having said that and being a lover lover of all things bbq, all regions have things that stand out and I love all of the different regions just a notch below Kansas City. 
    ChinaskiMichelleNoel
    Dee said:
    What’s the differences? 
    from AU? it’s not Vegemite   :p
    Michelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Chinaski said:
    Dee said:
    What’s the differences? 
    WELL THEY MUST ALL SUCK THEN. 

No, I mean what are the regional differences. 
    ChinaskiMichelleNoel
    Dee said:
    Chinaski said:
    Dee said:
    What’s the differences? 
    WELL THEY MUST ALL SUCK THEN. 

No, I mean what are the regional differences. 
    haha i was just messin’. i’ll let the folks in those regions clarify. i wanna say smokiness, sweetness, mustard, vinegar, dry vs wet.

but what do i know, i’m in Cali so when it comes to BBQ flexing all i could say is ‘but we got Tri Tip!’
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    On my summer 2016 vacay I stopped in Salina, Kansas for bbq on my way south from Mt. Rushmore to Fort Worth. It was just a little family style restaurant but the food was served more informal/picnic/take-out style, kind of (like, the side of cole slaw was in a plastic tub).  It was amazing though.  The sauce was the perfect melody of sweet and tangy with a touch of heat, enough to be noticeable but not so much that it was overpowering.  Of course, in Fort Worth I had Italian food (don't ask why, I have no idea what I was thinking), so I don't have any Texas bbq knowlege to compare Kansas against.   But I would definitely get bbq if I am ever back in Kansas.
    Chinaski
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited April 11
    I lived in Eastern North Carolina for a number of years and still for me nothing beats whole hog BBQ (whole pig slow cooked over wood and then all the different parts chopped up together - we're not talking just pulled pork here). Such a great balance of flavor and texture. All it needs is a splash of "sauce" ie apple cider vinegar with chili flakes to cut through the fat.
    ChinaskiMichellecdriveNoel
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Oh, I found the place!  Seriously, if you're ever passing through Kansas for some odd reason and you're near Salina, *go here*.  http://www.hickoryhut.com/
    Naugustine
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I love a good Carolina sauce on pork.  Lately I've been into smoking steak and doing a reverse sear on nice thick cut ribeyes.  I like the tomahawk cut for presentation. 

ChinaskiDoctor_NickcdriveMichelleNaugustineNoel
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I can talk Smoking/Grilling all day.  I am an insane person.  I have 4 grills/smokers on my patio right now.  

But, I highly recommend this easy prep for a good thick ribeye or steak of your choice.  I get a good, thick 1" to 1-1/4" cut (thicker the better).

Put some salt on them for an hour or so at room temperature before you put them on the smoker.  The salt will absorb into the meat and make it moist on top.  Add a nice portion of fresh ground pepper on top and put it on the smoker at 225-250 until the cut gets an internal temp of 117-120.  Takes about an hour depending on thickness.

Take the steaks off at that point.  Brush them with melted butter and another salt/pepper dusting.

My smoker can get a direct fire but whatever you have get a fire going.  Take the steaks and put them on the direct flame for about 1-2 minutes per side - charred to your preference but that timing should get the internal temp to around 135-140 to give you a nice medium-rare like the pic above.

Best steak I've ever had and I need shoulder surgery tomorrow for patting myself on the back so much.  Hope you enjoy.
    Doctor_NickMichellecdriveNaugustineNoel
  • Nice, the promised BBQ thread from the salad thread was created. I'm a little scared to post here though, thinking my doctor is going to show up and say "I knew it! Get back to the salad thread BBQ Blood Boy!" No, I was just looking! I didn't eat anything!
    MichelleChinaskiNaugustinecdriveNoelCeciliaM
  • Michelle said:
    Oh, I found the place!  Seriously, if you're ever passing through Kansas for some odd reason and you're near Salina, *go here*.  http://www.hickoryhut.com/
    I live in Kansas and have never ate there, I’ll have to give it a shot 
    Michelle

• DrKen said:
    I can talk Smoking/Grilling all day.  I am an insane person.  I have 4 grills/smokers on my patio right now. 
    What kind of smokers do you have? I only have a traeger and use it all the time. Just recently started cold smoking cheese on it. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    DrKen said:

But, I highly recommend this easy prep for a good thick ribeye or steak of your choice.  I get a good, thick 1" to 1-1/4" cut (thicker the better).

Put some salt on them for an hour or so at room temperature before you put them on the smoker.  The salt will absorb into the meat and make it moist on top.  Add a nice portion of fresh ground pepper on top and put it on the smoker at 225-250 until the cut gets an internal temp of 117-120.  Takes about an hour depending on thickness.

Take the steaks off at that point.  Brush them with melted butter and another salt/pepper dusting.

My smoker can get a direct fire but whatever you have get a fire going.  Take the steaks and put them on the direct flame for about 1-2 minutes per side - charred to your preference but that timing should get the internal temp to around 135-140 to give you a nice medium-rare like the pic above.

Best steak I've ever had and I need shoulder surgery tomorrow for patting myself on the back so much.  Hope you enjoy.
    You’re my new favorite dude. 
    DrKen
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    edited April 11

DrKen said:
    What kind of smokers do you have? I only have a traeger and use it all the time. Just recently started cold smoking cheese on it. 
    I have a classic Weber kettle grill. 

My gas grill is a Vermont Casting which I've had for years - a very solid dependable gas model that I recommend.

I have an Oklahoma Joe offset stick burner for my smoker.  I have the luxury of a metal shop to put a plate in to lower the opening from the firebox to the chamber and some ceramic baffles to keep the direct flame off the meat.  It takes a pretty solid $400 smoker you can buy at Walmart and make it the equivalent of a $2500 "fancy" smoker with about $60 worth of add-ins.  Happy to provide details on the modification on request.

The only issue with the smoker is it is a bitch to clean and, let's be frank, difficult to do for small cooks.  So, my wife bought me an electric smoker (which I was always against - didn't seem authentic).  But, I cannot deny the convenience and, quite frankly, does a great job.  So I have an "offset" pellet smoker with a side smoking chamber.  Love it.  It's a Louisiana Grill.

I told you I like to talk about this.  You were warned.
    I’m in Kansas City today for the first time so as a Texan I need to see what this KC bbq is all about since we argue about bragging rights all the time.

Went to Arthur Bryant’s after some research.
    The exchange between the line and cooks was feisty. When it was me, old man said - what you havin young man? I said - I don’t know, what’s good? I’m from Texas. What are y’all proud of?  He looked at me like shoo. I said how about those baby back ribs and some cole slaw. 

I don’t want to start a bbq fight because it was really excellent. But in Texas we just expect more smoke and “holy shit”-ness for world class ribs. Maybe I should have went to Gabes. Or got “burnt ends”. Still it was way up there so hats off to KC, but I think it might be between TX and the Carolinas for 1st prize.  

NaugustineNoel
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    Still looks pretty good.
  • @cdrive I used to be a Bryant’s fan but found so many other places in kc that did bbq way better. I’ve always thought Gates was overrated 
    DrKen said:
    Still looks pretty good.
    Oh it was amazing. I think I might just be working it out that I’m biased. Like I need that central Texas wood smoke or else I’m slightly confused. But it was competition level bbq with the bark and the toothsome, not too falling off the bone. My baby back ribs are based off of KC. I think most people’s are. We just smoke it more aggressively down here, right or wrong. 
    DrKenNoel
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    @cdrive Yeah, the bark looks great.  And I'm hungry from all this talk.

I actually got into BBQ about 15 years ago.  We have a facility in Texas and one of my first business trips there I had some TX BBQ.  

We didn't have a lot of great BBQ in Illinois at that time and it changed my world.  Ever since, I've been trying all kinds of styles and meats.  

But, I always recall that place down an alley that didn't look like anything and now I have 4 grills on my patio.
    cdrive
  • I like vinegar.
    DrKencdriveMrX
    just a couple of 'Doctor's' discussing BBQ.. and this is why this community rules all..

shout out @cdrive for prompting this thread B)
    DrKenMichelleCapeGabeDoctor_Nick
  • I live in Seattle so we just have "BBQ" but I will usually go for something on the spicier side ... One place we go regularly has pulled pork nachos and moonshine punch.. I realize how much of an asshole I am by posting this on a BBQ thread with actual Southerners but it's one of my favorite late night meals. :) 
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited April 11
    That's Doctor Bald Move Fantasy Football Champion to you, sport.

;) 

Chinaski said:
    just a couple of 'Doctor's' discussing BBQ.. and this is why this community rules all..

cdriveMichelleNoelFreddy
    noted, chief.
    That's Doctor Bald Move Fantasy Football Champion to you, sport.

;) 

Chinaski said:

MichelleNoel
    edited April 11
    watching the A's/Orioles series reminded me of being Baltimore in the early 2000's and how they had some pretty damn good BBQ. shout out Charm City and their pit beef!
  • Boog’s.