Black Summer

It's here -- the new zombie apocalypse show from Netflix! Could this be the Alexandria Safe Zone the TV refugees from The Walking Dead have been looking for? Or maybe it's Terminus, and our hopes for good zombie horror will go up in flames.
jleav382

Comments

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    watched the first 3 episodes so far. not very impressed. acting is pretty bad. the story is ok but you can tell overall this as a very low budget. or they saved all their millions of dollars for the final 2-3 episodes. 
    lengmo
  • Wow, I must have low standards because 2 episodes in I love this. I crave the "Fall of Civilization" as it's happening thing that I thought Fear the Walking Dead was going to do. At least the first season.
    Wow, I must have low standards because 2 episodes in I love this. I crave the "Fall of Civilization" as it's happening thing that I thought Fear the Walking Dead was going to do. At least the first season.
    i dont see how its any different than what we got with FTWD. If anything FTWD actually showed more collapse. BS starts with things already going to hell where FTWD at least started off normal. now the 3 week time jump in FTWD was so lame but i feel like BS starts at around the same spot as the 3 week time jump. We even get very similar scenes of people being taken away in army trucks to a safe place. and there is also this promise of a "stadium". 
  • I'm 2 episodes in and enjoying it so far. I think it's better than FTWD and recent TWD. Having fast zombies is a big improvement -- they're actually a threat.
    cdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I'm 2 episodes in and enjoying it so far. I think it's better than FTWD and recent TWD. Having fast zombies is a big improvement -- they're actually a threat.
    I’m watching the 1st episode solely because of homeboy @telephoneofmadness ;

Telephone is hard af to impress. It’s comical at this point the movie reviews posted here.  I’m buckled in and ready now. Let’s do this shit!!!
    telephoneofmadness
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Also three episodes in and not impressed.  Sun and Spears [there's a fantasy novel title if anyone needs one] are very inconsistently written, though the actors are OK-Good.  Agree this is low-budget so far, lower than FTWD. 

I really need to stop getting my hopes up for Netflix shows.  Amazon seems to have a much better hit rate for me.

Having fast zombies is a big improvement -- they're actually a threat.
    These zombies have ADHD: get out of their sight for 10 seconds and they rage quit chasing after you and run off.  It's like you could drive around and be fine if you had tinted windows.
    Hatorian
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    Not for me. I already hate the ‘zombies’ FTWD is imo better.
    lengmo said:

I really need to stop getting my hopes up for Netflix shows.  Amazon seems to have a much better hit rate for me.
    I don’t know. I don’t blame you for getting hopes up. I did too. A lot of reviews I read said this was white knuckle, intense thriller that gave people what they wanted to see regarding the first days of the collapse. None of that was true. It wasn’t intense. And it definitely didn’t show me any “collapse” 
    lengmo
  • Blew through the first 5 episodes, so far i'm really enjoying it. 

What I like - Fast zombies (much more of a threat), everybody turns, and fast (yeeesss!), swearing and effed up post apocalyptic scenarios that TWD would never touch because they don't want the parents and their 13 year old kids to stop watching. 

What I didn't like - the breaking up of the narrative with the title cards really destroys a lot of the tension building throughout the episodes. I'm not really developing any connection with the characters accept maybe Sun and chubs morales (I think the actors are just fine), but that might change. This show needs more zombies, its great that they're fast but I want to see these guys get chased by a crowd of these things, most of the time it's just a game of hide and seek with one zombie. 

I'm going to keep up with this one. It's definitely not bad. 
    telephoneofmadness
  • Haters gonna hate. I'm 4 episodes in and I've been white-knuckling through every zombie encounter. These fast zombies have me SHOOKETH. I don't remember TWD ever being as tense as this (maybe a couple of times in the fast zombie Darabont era). Considering this is low-budget I have seen much worse special effects in TWD.
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Haters gonna hate. I'm 4 episodes in and I've been white-knuckling through every zombie encounter. These fast zombies have me SHOOKETH. I don't remember TWD ever being as tense as this (maybe a couple of times in the fast zombie Darabont era). Considering this is low-budget I have seen much worse special effects in TWD.
    The zombies are mostly fine, for me it's the characters and their actions.  If someone opens up a spoiler thread I'll post about the problems.
  • lengmo said:
    Haters gonna hate. I'm 4 episodes in and I've been white-knuckling through every zombie encounter. These fast zombies have me SHOOKETH. I don't remember TWD ever being as tense as this (maybe a couple of times in the fast zombie Darabont era). Considering this is low-budget I have seen much worse special effects in TWD.
    The zombies are mostly fine, for me it's the characters and their actions.  If someone opens up a spoiler thread I'll post about the problems.
    I think these are the most realistic characters I've ever seen in zombie drama (except for maybe The Night Eats the World). I mean, even when their actions are stupid, they're believable. Lance is The Worst (and amazing). He's in permanent Z-meltdown.

There's the scene where he's running from zombies in the school, goes into the library, then suddenly randomly sits down and starts reading a book while zombies are breaking down the door. Then falls on the floor and cries. I love it.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Dude I am loving this shit. I had to cut it at episode 3 cause it was getting past 1 am and I had a meeting in the morning.  Had to confess to my wife that I burned thru the 1st 2 episodes. But I’ll gladly watch them again. 
    telephoneofmadness
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    I'm getting through this show by telling myself it's a world where there's a zombie virus...it turns a person into a zombie when they die and makes them dumb while they are alive.
  • edited April 13
    So, I finished this.

I enjoyed it. Much more than TWD, FTWD, or World War Z. I was on the edge of my seat through every zombie encounter. It reminded me of The Night Eats the World and The Road. A lot of posters online hated it, for some reason (many of these people seem to be fans of TWD, which has done everything I've seen Black Summer criticized for worse and often. I'm speechless).

There's a lot of comedy in this, but it's more subtle than in Train to Busan or The Wailing, and it never becomes intrusive.

I'm not sure why people think Lance is badly written -- I thought he was completely convincing. A manbaby realistically not coping with the apocalypse.

The dialogue was realistically terse. These people are just trying to survive -- there's no time for Morgalizing. Interestingly, it seemed like the character with the most lines was Sun, and these were almost entirely in Korean. In the English closed captions, her speech just appears as "speaking Korean".

The title cards were annoying. It was like the creators had planned to release each titled segment separately, as a webisode, then didn't. On the other hand, I found that the title cards made the time jumps easier to understand, and were an efficient way of avoiding exposition.

There were some unnecessary Hollywood tropes -- when Manny is picking the lock in the club, he pushes a spoon into the door jamb for no reason. At least his hands were blocking the lock, so we couldn't see what he was doing. Also, the bad gun effects in the final episode took away from the climax. And people were firing more bullets than their guns could hold. But again, see TWD for worse examples of this stuff.

That final scene with Lance tho... It will be so funny if he survives and comes back in the second season.
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Oh, we do criticize TWD for what it does wrong. 

Yes, BS provides zombie thrills.  But it's right to criticize it for its problems.   A character who can understand English but only speaks Korean 99% of the time in her situation -- that's not how language works.  It's like Netflix's algorithms spit out "We need a show with fast zombies and Korean language" because of the audience numbers of Train to Busan and Kingdom.

'Spears' was introduced as a smart, competent character.  It's questionable/borderline racist to have him become dumb when interacting with Rose.

How did a ragtag bunch of survivors pull off a raid in a warren of rooms and corridors with military precision?

How did Lance survive so long without thinking to take a shopping cart and block the automatic door?

With fast zombies, you don't need characters to act dumb/make mistakes, but BS is full of it happening.
  • edited April 13
    lengmo said:

Yes, BS provides zombie thrills.  But it's right to criticize it for its problems.   A character who can understand English but only speaks Korean 99% of the time in her situation -- that's not how language works.  It's like Netflix's algorithms spit out "We need a show with fast zombies and Korean language" because of the audience numbers of Train to Busan and Kingdom.

'Spears' was introduced as a smart, competent character.  It's questionable/borderline racist to have him become dumb when interacting with Rose.

How did a ragtag bunch of survivors pull off a raid in a warren of rooms and corridors with military precision?

How did Lance survive so long without thinking to take a shopping cart and block the automatic door?

With fast zombies, you don't need characters to act dumb/make mistakes, but BS is full of it happening.
    I think we're supposed to understand that Manny was familiar with the building. How would he know to go there otherwise? How would they know where the armory was? How would they know they could unlock the back door? Someone had to be familiar with the layout. Or they had somebody inside helping them. Or they found a map. I didn't care about this. They planned the heist between episodes and I was thankful for it.

I thought Spears in the school, handing the gun to Rose, was a big mistake. There's no guarantee that the kids let the disarmed adults live. However:

-Spears didn't know about the bodies in the showers, and Rose might not have realized that the kids killed those people (we only know this because we see that the kids are organized and already have an adult hostage).
    -What was the alternative? They were locked in a booby trapped school and outnumbered.
    -Anyone who dies without being headshot instantly turns into a fast zombie, so a shootout adds zombies to the situation.
    -The kids agreed to hand over Ryan before the adults handed over the gun. So there was still scope for the adults to negotiate after Ryan walked over to them.

I didn't have any issues with Sun. She speaks some English, and the rest of the communication is with gestures and people's tone. Everyone speaks English to her, even though they know she can't understand it. This happens in real life.

Okay, but Lance's mistakes aren't getting him killed, and he's comic relief. It's the opposite of TWD. Right from the beginning, his girlfriend gets hit by the car while they are standing in the middle of the street, not him. His whole arc is that it should be impossible for him to survive, but he miraculously avoids dying every time.

TL;DR (my post, not yours). I was a big fan of TWD. My username is a TWD reference. I used to read the comics, and the novels. TWD's crimes against TV are so extreme in comparison that I can't understand the hate Black Summer is getting.
    cdrive
  • I wonder if the Korean version of Black Summer doesn't translate the English and just says "speaking English" in the closed captions. So it's just Sun with a bunch of people screaming nonsense.
  • mtron32mtron32 San Diego
    I’m on episode 3 and I’m already yelling at the screen.  Why the hell would you split up and search every floor of the school?  Just gtfo and find another spot.
    lengmo
    lengmo said:

I think we're supposed to understand that Manny was familiar with the building. How would he know to go there otherwise? How would they know where the armory was? How would they know they could unlock the back door? Someone had to be familiar with the layout. Or they had somebody inside helping them. Or they found a map. I didn't care about this. They planned the heist between episodes and I was thankful for it.

I thought Spears in the school, handing the gun to Rose, was a big mistake. There's no guarantee that the kids let the disarmed adults live. However:

-Spears didn't know about the bodies in the showers, and Rose might not have realized that the kids killed those people (we only know this because we see that the kids are organized and already have an adult hostage).
    -What was the alternative? They were locked in a booby trapped school and outnumbered.
    -Anyone who dies without being headshot instantly turns into a fast zombie, so a shootout adds zombies to the situation.
    -The kids agreed to hand over Ryan before the adults handed over the gun. So there was still scope for the adults to negotiate after Ryan walked over to them.

I didn't have any issues with Sun. She speaks some English, and the rest of the communication is with gestures and people's tone. Everyone speaks English to her, even though they know she can't understand it. This happens in real life.

Okay, but Lance's mistakes aren't getting him killed, and he's comic relief. It's the opposite of TWD. Right from the beginning, his girlfriend gets hit by the car while they are standing in the middle of the street, not him. His whole arc is that it should be impossible for him to survive, but he miraculously avoids dying every time.

TL;DR (my post, not yours). I was a big fan of TWD. My username is a TWD reference. I used to read the comics, and the novels. TWD's crimes against TV are so extreme in comparison that I can't understand the hate Black Summer is getting.
    Oh my god I just saw the hostage scene, fuck this show
    lengmo
  • edited April 13
    mtron32 said:
    I’m on episode 3 and I’m already yelling at the screen.  Why the hell would you split up and search every floor of the school?  Just gtfo and find another spot.
    Rose wants to search for the boy, Spears wants to leave. They compromise, by splitting up and heading to the exit in different directions, to see if they can find the boy on the way. What they don't realize at that point is that they can't leave, because there's a big group of psycho killer kids who have locked them in the school.

The school is a trap. Team Spears were locked in as soon as they walked through the door (we see the girl resetting the door later). The bodies in the showers were the kids' previous victims. All the stuff the kids are sorting in the room is loot from the victims. The guy tied to the chair is the latest victim before Team Spears. There was no way to avoid the standoff with the kids or leave without help from the man outside.
    mtron32 said:
    Rose wants to search for the boy, Spears wants to leave. They compromise, by splitting up and heading to the exit in different directions, to see if they can find the boy on the way. What they don't realize at that point is that they can't leave, because there's a big group of psycho killer kids who have locked them in the school.

The school is a trap. Team Spears were locked in as soon as they walked through the door (we see the girl resetting the door later). The bodies in the showers were the kids' previous victims. All the stuff the kids are sorting in the room is loot from the victims. The guy tied to the chair is the latest victim before Team Spears. There was no way to avoid the standoff with the kids or leave without help from the man outside.

They could have tried leaving when Spears said to, I would’ve left all of them there
    telephoneofmadness
    mtron32 said:
    lengmo said:

Not sure which scene you’re talking about. But the guy taking the van from the lady is so cringe worthy. 
    telephoneofmadness
  • edited April 14
    Binged it.
    Some good episodes ( I really liked episode 4 ) - some not so good.
    It however does tension and jump scares really well.
    The acting is ok considering the budget.
    It's worth a poke but go into it with the mind set that this is a zombie show and 
    some stupid stuff goes on.
  • Hatorian said:
    or they saved all their millions of dollars for the final 2-3 episodes. 
    :3
    Hatorian said:
    mtron32 said:
    lengmo said:

Not sure which scene you’re talking about. But the guy taking the van from the lady is so cringe worthy. 
    It was episode 3 in the school where they tried to give up gun for the dude that insisted on finding the little shit
  • Re: "Do we really need another zombie show?"

I think we need a good zombie show, and the throne has been empty probably at least since Darabont left TWD. AFAIK Black Summer is the closest thing to early TWD that's been made since (remember that TWD originally had fast, intelligent zombies, and they were retconned away later).
    r0ck44
  • I'm on episode 6 and I'm really enjoying it. First of all, fast zombies, YES. Its definitely not the most perfectly written show but I forgive it for that seeing that it seems pretty low budget. I think what sets it apart from TWD or FTWD is the characters all seem like real people; some are old, out of shape etc. They don't all have access to a wealth of guns or have extraordinary samurai sword skills. They're literally just scared shitless and running for their lives in a chaotic situation.  
    Plus they keep getting put in believable yet uniquely terrifying situations. Don't want to spoil anything but it's a good watch 
    telephoneofmadnessblacksunrise7
  • It was good - I enjoyed binging through it.  I wasn't satisfied with the ending, but if there is a season 2, I will be fine with how it ended.