Death by a thousand streaming Services.

So I really wanted to watch the Lomachenko fight this weekend, then saw it was ESPN+ only, and it aggravated me, and i was complaining to my friend, and he was like, Its only 5 bucks a month, who cares just get it.

But my retort was, yeah its only 5 bucks a month, but you're not considering the other "50" things i am no paying for monthly. I mean, there is my Cable (Hbo and Showtime), Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, my PS4 subs and battle pass, NBC Sports GOLD. And i feel like Im on the low end, other people have CBS All access, Youtube premium, DAZN, And now Disney and Apple are going to be almost "must have" services. (I know im forgetting some)

I wonder how far this will go, if the bubble will burst for all these streaming services. It does not seem sustainable, unless cable goes away.

I was wondering if anyone else was feeling the same way...

telephoneofmadnessElisaCeciliaM

Comments

• calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    It is certainly becoming a problem. I do think the bubble will bust and people will pick their top 3 streaming services to subscribe to and they will pirate the rest or find off shore streaming sites for sporting events. Not that that's what I do  ;)  
    ElisaCoryTulipblossom
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    For me Amazon is a no brainer cuz I get prime shipping. Netflix for sure as Long as they keep coming with stuff like Strangsr Things, kingdom and their crime docs. Then I’ll probably round it out with Disney for Star Wars/marvel/kid’s stuff. Maybe I’ll add Apple if they package it with iCloud and iTunes/music benefits. 
  • edited April 12
    Yup. All this is gonna do is drive more people to piracy. When you can choose between a $150 cable and internet bill to get all the channels you want, a $50 internet bill and $5-$15 across 10 streaming services, or a one-time $50-$100 fee for a lifetime VPN and free torrents, well......

This has already happened with movies. Once netflix started only having 99% trash movies, and it would be like $5 to freaking RENT a 20 year old movie on netflix of youtube, it became really obvious what the logical course was. 
    Elisa
    Which VPN do you use that gets you $100 for lifetime? I use ExpressVPN but that costs $100 a year. But it’s Super solid and my download speeds don’t suffer. With my fibre I can download a 4gb movie in 30 minutes or less. 
  • I also forgot to mention, that streaming services tend to slowly increase their price over the years. So that 5 dollar ESPN+ could be 10 in two years, who knows.

Elisa
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    edited April 12
    For a few years Amazon was good because one could often just buy seasons of shows, no subscription or piracy needed.  Recently it has become harder to find shows on it available that way.
    Elisa
  • edited April 12
    Hatorian said:
    Which VPN do you use that gets you $100 for lifetime? I use ExpressVPN but that costs $100 a year. But it’s Super solid and my download speeds don’t suffer. With my fibre I can download a 4gb movie in 30 minutes or less. 
    It was nordVPN but it looks like they killed the lifetime subscription. They used to regularly have deals that would push it below $100. 
  • I've been lucky enough to live with friends for the majority of my twenties and reap the benefits of using their subscriptions for things like netflix and HBO go. However once I get out on my own it's going to be mostly pirating especially since streaming services like netflix continue to increase in price. I will always use Amazon prime for the shipping beni's, and most shows I can find on there for a few bucks if I can't find them online. 
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    I was pleasantly surprised how cheap Disney+ is going to be.  They have a lot of content for that price. 

Now who knows how good it will all be, but I'd try it for a few months for the Mandalorian series. 
  • lengmo said:
    For a few years Amazon was good because one could often just buy seasons of shows, no subscription or piracy needed.  Recently it has become harder to find shows on it available that way.

I think you can still buy most basic cable shows by the season as they air on Amazon, iTunes, etc. Right now I'm seeing current seasons from FX, BBC America, AMC on there for example.
  • Eventually all of these services will collapse into a few as they buy each other out. Or they will mostly provide the same content but with different bonuses, like Amazon Prime.
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    MrX said:
    I think you can still buy most basic cable shows by the season as they air on Amazon, iTunes, etc. Right now I'm seeing current seasons from FX, BBC America, AMC on there for example.
    My tastes may be weird but it in the last few years I kept finding shows I would have purchased but they were not there on I would have to subscribe to some network to get access to it.
    MrX
    lengmo said:
    MrX said:
    My tastes may be weird but it in the last few years I kept finding shows I would have purchased but they were not there on I would have to subscribe to some network to get access to it.
    I’m a huge iTunes supporter and usually buy my favourite shows like Its Always Sunny, the office and Rick and Morty. Rick and Morty is a bazillion times better on iTunes since it’s unrated. 

But it I did notice like a year ago that some of the stuff I purchased was not in my library and it would ask me to purchase it again. I called Apple and found out I had like 10 movies and a bunch of random music that I had purchased over the past 10 years that were under my account but somehow disabled/removed. Apple fixed the problem and restored all my lost shit but if I never called them I would have never even known and might have re-purchased items again.

i still will only purchase movies from iTunes now though. 1. It’s basically my digital DVD shelf and 2. The free upgrades to 4K and newer versions of the movie kick ass and have saved me a ton of money from having to re-buy 4K versions of my favourite movies. 
    Kate23
    living internationally the streaming services catalogues vary. Example the office is on amazon here in Singapore but Netflix in the US. The only guarantee you get is the originals. Everything else is up in the air depending on who owns the rights in country. 

Also living internationally the only way to get sports is through the official packages offered by the leagues. The NFL gamepass is $200 which really sucks ass but unless I want to use a dodgy site it’s my only option. The other sports like MLB, NHL and NBA are also like $100+ so I’m looking at $500+ a year if I want to watch my Chicago teams. That’s crazy. What I usually end up doing is just paying for the NFL since I watch every game and it’s vital to my fantasy Football success. The rest I usually just wait for the playoffs and then buy the playoff package if my team makes it. The playoff packages for the other sports are usually like $20-30. 
  • This is just the march to the death of cable.

Disney is throwing NatGeo into their service and will probably eventually bring ESPN in at a discount for subscribers (and vice versa). Disney also now controls Hulu so expect to see that as an add-on if not an outright fold-in accompanied by a price increase. Whatever other networks are controlled by the new Disney/Fox behemoth will also become available.

ATT/Time Warner/HBO will be another competitor along with their cable networks and they already have a strong cord-cutter offering with DirectTV

Netflix and/or Amazon may have to partner with some stand-alone networks like AMC, Discovery, BBC America, etc. to better draw cord cutters. That of they could start buying these standalone players outright. I’d put CBS/Viacom and NBC/Universal/Comcast into this category also as I don’t think they can survive as an independent streamer (though Comcast will certainly believe that they can)

Apple is looking to jump in and provide others’ content on their platform for a charge. If they can get broad adoption then they could be the new cable, but companies aren’t lining up to fork over a chunk of their profits to Apple. I could see YouTube jumping into this kind of model also.

If a consolidator like Apple can provide a one-stop where you can get most of the basic cable channels you want on an a la cart pricing structure that’s the dream. You’re cable bill would drop to like $50/mos unless you want good sports content as that will always be a premium, and then you can spread your savings around with the main content streamers (of which there will be like 4-5 to choose from at like $25-50/mos each by the time the consolidation finishes).

They all need to get over it and make series available for digital purchase broadly at a premium though. If I want to pay $25-40 to watch a season Star Trek Discovery, then make that easy for me. Same goes for Stranger Things, Handmaid’s Tale, Jack Ryan, etc.
  • Apple is really a wild card.

If they think this is their future, then they could issue some low interest bonds in addition to cash on hand and buy both Disney and Netflix, or all of the standalones, or some other combination of providers, and be the big-dog in this market. They have a huge pile of cash and could borrow an additional couple of hundred BILLION dollars at like a 3-3.5% interest rate.
  • MrX said:
    lengmo said:

I do this for walking dead and better call saul, but the episodes aren't available until midnight or the next day, right?
  • I cancelled cable last summer because of a financial crunch and we only had Netflix and Hulu for several months. Netflix is included in our mobile plan, so Hulu was the only thing we were paying for, for about six months. I also watch quite a few regular YouTubers and can endlessly entertain myself with Instagram haha. We've also been checking out movies from the library and doing crazy shit like reading books!  

This worked fine for us and even though I was thinking I would want cable again when we could afford it, I don't. We did re-sign up for Amazon Prime when money got a little better, and we do watch some things there, but that's at least 50% for shopping, if not more. We're also signed up for the new Criterion Channel service at a discounted rate they offered if you registered ahead of time. Otherwise I find we still have plenty to watch. 

I did sort of have to let go of the need to watch everything when it was trending with a couple of exceptions.  I signed up for HBO Now for the final GoT season just because if you don't watch it in real time, you get spoiled. I plan to cancel it when GoT ends. Hubby really wanted to see the new Doctor Who so we just bought  the season on Amazon. I think he has CBS All Access right now to watch the new Star Trek and the new Twilight Zone. I like that we can turn the services on and off easily for the shows we like and not sign up forever. I can see how people feel they are nickeled and dimed but I  don't think there is any justification for piracy when all of these services are relatively inexpensive and you could just limit yourself to what you can afford and will still have plenty of media to consume.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited April 13
    Also cancelled cable - already had Netflix and Amazon Prime. Signed up for a deal that includes both Spotify Premium and Hulu (with ads) for $10/mo. Splitting HBO Now with a couple other people so that's just $5 a month. Donated $60 to our local PBS station which gives access to PBS Passport for a year - full streaming access to all Masterpiece stuff and other PBS content. Have an antenna to get live sports that air on networks - not being able to DVR is a downside, was thinking about turning an old computer into an OTA DVR using Plex, but haven't got around to that. During the NCAA tourney I just signed up for YouTube tv for a month which has a nice DVR, figure I can do that for stuff like the NBA and NFL playoffs if I really want to.

Also I've just been watching less tv since cutting it - read a bunch of books this year so far! There are some shows that I used to feel compelled to watch when they air ... now I don't mind waiting until they hit some streaming service.
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    So long as it kills cable, I’m all for it