Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker

Comments

• JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    asmallcat said:
    I think Palpatine surviving being thrown down the tube could be explained. I mean, Darth Maul was cut in half and fell down a similarly endless shaft and survived so certainly a Sith Lord could. Not saying their explanation won't make me roll eyes to the back of my skull though.

But, he could also just be a force ghost. I mean, is that specifically only a light side power? If you're that powerful in the force, I can see being "more powerful than you can possibly imagine" even if you're a bad guy.

Let’s save each other from the ensuing conversation. There are plenty of people saying it’s canon that Sith can’t be force ghosts, but allegedly there was a Sith ghost in one of the cartoons. *However*... it’s ambiguous about whether or not that’s a force ghost or some sort of an illusion.

At any rate... I don’t believe for a second that anyone involved on the Disney Star Wars team would box themselves in (story-wise) with that sort of detail.
    Is it canon canon, or old EU not canon anymore canon? 
    When Star Wars enters the public domain in 60 years, there’s going to be a Roman Catholic / Eastern Orthodox style schism amongst the SW fandom over what counts as canon.

Oh, and just wait until the Star Wars Protestants show up!
    Murderbear
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    jeez, shocker.. JJ is not following up TLJ:

JoshuaHeter
  • It’s Star Wars so I’m hyped, but I’m...skeptical of the return of Palpatine. 

We made such a bold leap forward and away from the Saga in TLJ, and now it feels like at the last second we’re reaching out and grabbing that ledge of familiarity. 
    Elisa
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited April 12
    Everytime I see Carrie Fisher in latter day Star Wars movies I get a little verklempt. Have to be careful cause I’m at a bar in an airport terminal.  “IT’S ALLERGIES SHUTUP! NO YOU'RE CRYING!!!” 
    ChinaskiMurderbearawookiee
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited April 12
    After having two seasons of Game of Thrones to watch and having the Marvel people in he same system, everyone involved in “planning” or “gardening” this trilogy should be ashamed. 
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    cdrive said:
    Everytime I see Carey Fisher in latter day Star Wars movies I get a little verklempt. Have to be careful cause I’m at a bar in an airport terminal.  “IT’S ALLERGIES SHUTUP! NO YOU'RE CRYING!!!” 
    do a long fake yawn to mask the cry. that's my go to during Pixar films.
    cdrive
    So, Palpatine (or his clone?) is undoubtably in this thing. How do you want him to appear?

1. Strictly flashback.
    2. Sith Force ghost.
    3. Not actually Palpatine but his clone.
    4. Actually Palpatine who survived the events of ROTJ.
    5. Wacky in-universe SW Galaxy Comedian (plays the Mos Eisely Cantina the first Saturday of every month) doing an impression.
    6. Other.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Adam Serwer's theory from 2015 after TFA came out is pretty good:

Ok here goes. 

There are many theories about the as yet unrevealed identity of Rey, the protagonist of The Force Awakens. The most popular one I think, holds that she is Luke’s daughter. After all, she has the ah, Skywalker way with the Force, and the parallels between her and Luke’s modest upbringings are hard to ignore. But I think this is a little too obvious for Abrams, who deliberately pulled a bait and switch implying that Finn was the Jedi hero of the film, when it was really Rey. 

There are other theories, that she’s Han and Leia’s daughter and Kylo’s sister or possibly twin (I find it hard to believe that two parents finding their daughter after two decades would not see fit to mention it to each other, and both of them clearly know who Rey really is) or that she’s Obi Wan’s granddaughter (not a bad theory, since we hear Obi Wan’s voice during the flashback, but it would require Obi Wan to have broken his vows and abandoned his post watching over Luke). 

So here is my theory: Rey is a clone of Anakin Skywalker. 

Think about it: The only reference to the prequels in the entire movie is Ren mentioning the possibility of replacing storm troopers with clones. Rey is great with machines, she’s a fantastic pilot, and she is effortless with the force. Not even Luke was that much of a natural–only ::shudder:: Anakin. This would explain the violence of Rey’s flashback–she was looking at what was essentially a past life. (Obi Wan, on the other hand, had no use for machines, wasn’t a great pilot, and was strong with the Force but not effortlessly). 

This theory also explains why she is hidden away. It would be extremely hard for a parent to part with a child (if she were Luke’s daughter) but if she were a clone of Anakin, Luke would be more frightened of the possibility of training her, especially given what happened to Kylo Ren. 

So who cloned Vader? My theory is that Palpatine cloned Vader in case he needed a spare, and that the clone process began as soon as Vader died. Luke and the rebellion find her, and horrified, Luke hides her away, unwittingly replicating his father’s upbringing as a slave on a desert planet (which he had no way of knowing about, not knowing his father well and having all information about him suppressed by those who knew both Luke and Anakin). 

The other thing about this theory is that it is perfect torture for Kylo Ren: His biggest fear is that he will never be as powerful as darth vader. And Rey IS Darth Vader. Couldn’t be more perfect. 

So of course maybe I’m wrong, and we won’t find out for a while, but that’s my theory.

And then....

ElisadarwinfeeshyFlukes
  • All right,  I'll recall my snark in case this theory pans out...

Adam Serwer's theory from 2015 after TFA came out is pretty good:

Ok here goes. 

There are many theories about the as yet unrevealed identity of Rey, the protagonist of The Force Awakens. The most popular one I think, holds that she is Luke’s daughter. After all, she has the ah, Skywalker way with the Force, and the parallels between her and Luke’s modest upbringings are hard to ignore. But I think this is a little too obvious for Abrams, who deliberately pulled a bait and switch implying that Finn was the Jedi hero of the film, when it was really Rey. 

There are other theories, that she’s Han and Leia’s daughter and Kylo’s sister or possibly twin (I find it hard to believe that two parents finding their daughter after two decades would not see fit to mention it to each other, and both of them clearly know who Rey really is) or that she’s Obi Wan’s granddaughter (not a bad theory, since we hear Obi Wan’s voice during the flashback, but it would require Obi Wan to have broken his vows and abandoned his post watching over Luke). 

So here is my theory: Rey is a clone of Anakin Skywalker. 

Think about it: The only reference to the prequels in the entire movie is Ren mentioning the possibility of replacing storm troopers with clones. Rey is great with machines, she’s a fantastic pilot, and she is effortless with the force. Not even Luke was that much of a natural–only ::shudder:: Anakin. This would explain the violence of Rey’s flashback–she was looking at what was essentially a past life. (Obi Wan, on the other hand, had no use for machines, wasn’t a great pilot, and was strong with the Force but not effortlessly). 

This theory also explains why she is hidden away. It would be extremely hard for a parent to part with a child (if she were Luke’s daughter) but if she were a clone of Anakin, Luke would be more frightened of the possibility of training her, especially given what happened to Kylo Ren. 

So who cloned Vader? My theory is that Palpatine cloned Vader in case he needed a spare, and that the clone process began as soon as Vader died. Luke and the rebellion find her, and horrified, Luke hides her away, unwittingly replicating his father’s upbringing as a slave on a desert planet (which he had no way of knowing about, not knowing his father well and having all information about him suppressed by those who knew both Luke and Anakin). 

The other thing about this theory is that it is perfect torture for Kylo Ren: His biggest fear is that he will never be as powerful as darth vader. And Rey IS Darth Vader. Couldn’t be more perfect. 

So of course maybe I’m wrong, and we won’t find out for a while, but that’s my theory.

And then....

edited April 13
    I don’t get this theory... is there some weird in universe explanation that I’m missing? How can Rey be the clone of Anakin?

Aren’t there some obvious physical dissimilarities? That’s not how clones work, right? Did Palpatine clone Anakin but then tweak just enough of the DNA to get someone who looks like Daisy Ridley instead of Hayden Christensen?

Rey could be the reincarnation of Anakin, though, I guess?
    MurderbearElisa
  • Duh.  They probably just cloned the midichlorian nacelles from his blood - it's rather simple to do with the dilithium positronic handler.  

And you call yourself a fan.

I don’t get this theory... is there some weird in universe explanation that I’m missing? How can Rey be the clone of Anakin?

Aren’t there some obvious physical dissimilarities? That’s not how clones work, right? Did Palpatine clone Anakin but then tweak just enough of the DNA to get someone who looks like Daisy Ridley instead of Hayden Christensen?

JoshuaHeterMurderbearDoubleA_RonElisaweeniegirlCALVlLlAINBroRad33Flukes
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco

I would assume if cloning was on the table then they could mess with genetics enough to switch genders I guess. You probably wouldn't want your spare looking the same as your original but I'm not going to pretend like I'm an expert on Star Wars cloning tech. This being fantasy I think they could find a way around that.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Maybe the emperor figured out Darth Plageuis’ way to overcome death.

rise of Skywalker: probably means Rey is a Skywalker but maybe Ben gets redeemed and takes on the Skywalker name in honor of his Mother and his Uncle. 
    JoshuaHeterElisaweeniegirl
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited April 14
    Hatorian said:
    Maybe the emperor figured out Darth Plageuis’ way to overcome death.

rise of Skywalker: probably means Rey is a Skywalker but maybe Ben gets redeemed and takes on the Skywalker name in honor of his Mother and his Uncle. 

If this is ends up being a Return of the Jedi analog then it's a pretty good bet that Kylo/Ben is the Skywalker in the title, as that would mirror Vader's redemption story in that movie. Not that this would be the most satisfying way to conclude the series.
    Doctor_NickElisa
  • Chinaski said:
    jeez, shocker.. JJ is not following up TLJ:

Wow.  The first two in this trilogy were disconnected enough as it is.  I'm not invested enough in any of these characters enough to care about this "story."  Force Awakens had me ecstatic, but now I could take it or leave it.
    ElisaMajorMalfunction
    edited April 13

I would assume if cloning was on the table then they could mess with genetics enough to switch genders I guess. You probably wouldn't want your spare looking the same as your original but I'm not going to pretend like I'm an expert on Star Wars cloning tech. This being fantasy I think they could find a way around that.

I guess the response to that is... how much can you change the genetic makeup of a person and call the resulting product a “clone”.

Arguably, the answer is zero.

That said, I guess the response to *that* is that we are fixating on the term “clone”. Rey could nevertheless be the product of Anakin’s DNA and the Emporer’s tinkering. And... yeah.
    Elisa
  • Final score is Kylos theme in major according to my musical wife so.. don’t know what that means, but they used it for a reason 
    JoshuaHeterElisaweeniegirl
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    I’m all in on this movie since TLJ didn’t put me off as much as some people.

I am however not the biggest fan of the emperor just coming back to life... kind of kills that wonderful feeling you get when watching ROTJ. Take darth Maul for example. He’s by far my favorite character in the entire franchise and I was content with him being dead in the first film. To see him “return” in Solo was kind of ehh. Idk im like this with any form of media. Movies, shows, video games. If you kill a character, just have the balls to keep them dead. 

With all that being said, I’ll admit. It was pretty awesome to hear him laugh at the end. So if he were to come back as maybe a force ghost or something I wouldn’t be opposed. 

Im just excited to see where this goes. I’m a huge fan of JJ, TFA, and Rey herself. I hope she’s not a sky walker, I was always a fan of the theory that she’s just a regular. I’m not opposed to her being some kind of offspring to Obi Wan though. 
    CoryElisa
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL

I am however not the biggest fan of the emperor just coming back to life... kind of kills that wonderful feeling you get when watching ROTJ.
    I'm good with it. They needed some ancient evil, because a struggle between Kylo and Rey to end the series wouldn't be that satisfying to me. Technically we dont know that he ever really died. I mean, he fell down into the shaft to the core of an exploding death star so we can at least assume his physical body was worthless after that, but.... So did Darth Maul after being cut in half, and Maul came back in Clone Wars series with spider legs replacing his bottom half.

Hatred kept Maul alive, just like hatred kept Vader alive. It's not a stretch to think someone as hateful and powerful as Emperor Palpatine, the student of Darth Plageuis, could stay alive and spend the last 30 or so years in hiding while he heals and bides his time. For all we know, Palpatine was pulling the strings of Snoke that entire time.
    Landscrapingweeniegirl
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA

I am however not the biggest fan of the emperor just coming back to life... kind of kills that wonderful feeling you get when watching ROTJ.
    I'm good with it. They needed some ancient evil, because a struggle between Kylo and Rey to end the series wouldn't be that satisfying to me. Technically we dont know that he ever really died. I mean, he fell down into the shaft to the core of an exploding death star so we can at least assume his physical body was worthless after that, but.... So did Darth Maul after being cut in half, and Maul came back in Clone Wars series with spider legs replacing his bottom half.

Hatred kept Maul alive, just like hatred kept Vader alive. It's not a stretch to think someone as hateful and powerful as Emperor Palpatine, the student of Darth Plageuis, could stay alive and spend the last 30 or so years in hiding while he heals and bides his time. For all we know, Palpatine was pulling the strings of Snoke that entire time.
    And all that, I totally get. But it’s just the fact that the need for all that explanation is what kills me. Just let dead stay dead. When you start creating these reasons for characters “surviving” then every single death from here on out can never be confirmed. Jango can come back, Dooku can come back. Qui gon can come back. Shit, why not let Yoda come back. Everyone jokes about how ridiculous it was to hear Padme died from her emotions. Vader surviving on hatred was just as much as an eye roll. 

I mean just think about how awesome that moment was when Vader “defeated” the emperor by throwing his ass down the core. Now that scene has no more feeling. Can never watch that scene again and have the same emotional pull. 

Im down for an ancient evil. I’d just rather it be an ancient evil we haven’t seen yet. 
    MajorMalfunction
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    JoshuaHetercdrive
    Never thought I would say this but I totally wish JJ wrote and directed the whole trilogy. 
    JoshuaHeter
    edited April 14
    Hatorian said:
    Never thought I would say this but I totally wish JJ wrote and directed the whole trilogy. 

My thoughts about this trailer are ellaborations of Episode 8 thoughts. (Oh except the title: It's a smart marketing title but it still sucks artistically, but you had to do it after The Last... whoa, whoa, there it goes again.) I wish they'd given JJ 2 movies, just round the thing out to 10. This "finale" is going to have to do so much world building it's unfair, and I don't blame them for snatching up a old, dead villain when your villain gets killed and your other villain has a redemption arc set in motion from the get go. Oh, and your other villain (Hux) was made to look utterly ridiculous. Oh, and your other villain (Phasma) was killed. Etc, etc. What is there to do? This was always going to be a mess. But 2 movies would have helped, I think. 

Sadly, this adds more fuel to the idea that JJ is derivative and RJ is innovative, when that's not at all what is happening here.
    JoshuaHeter
    JaimieT said:
    Hatorian said:

My thoughts about this trailer are ellaborations of Episode 8 thoughts. (Oh except the title: It's a smart marketing title but it still sucks artistically, but you had to do it after The Last... whoa, whoa, there it goes again.) I wish they'd given JJ 2 movies, just round the thing out to 10. This "finale" is going to have to do so much world building it's unfair, and I don't blame them for snatching up a old, dead villain when your villain gets killed and your other villain has a redemption arc set in motion from the get go. Oh, and your other villain (Hux) was made to look utterly ridiculous. Oh, and your other villain (Phasma) was killed. Etc, etc. What is there to do? This was always going to be a mess. But 2 movies would have helped, I think. 
    The biggest problem with TLJ is the fact that the map to Luke is totally ignored. I’m cool with him running away after the disaster with the academy but to make Luke just not want to be found in TLJ totally destroys any reasoning for the map. JJ obviously had a plan for it and Rian trashed it. 
  • JaimieT said:

I gotta say would be happy if I never heard that redlettermedia guy's voice again. It was kindof amusing 10 years ago I guess when they were making fun of the Phantom Menace? But now the idea of listening to him nitpick movie after movie in the same exhausting detail is well, exhausting.
    Murderbear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    MrX said:
    JaimieT said:

I gotta say would be happy if I never heard that redlettermedia guy's voice again. It was kindof amusing 10 years ago I guess when they were making fun of the Phantom Menace? But now the idea of listening to him nitpick movie after movie in the same exhausting detail is well, exhausting.
    I'm kinda with you. I enjoy some of their Half in the Bag reviews. The tangents they go off on can be pretty hit or miss for me but whatever. But when they put out that video of him melting down thousands of Star Wars toys because Star Wars ruined his childhood, I was pretty much done with them. Hate the new Star Wars all you want. That is totally fine. But fuck off with all the "they ruined my childhood" shit. You still have all the memories of watching it as a kid and nothing that happens now should change that.
    gguenot
    MrX said:
    JaimieT said:

I gotta say would be happy if I never heard that redlettermedia guy's voice again. 

Nothing is stopping you from being happy! How exciting for you!
    MurderbearMrX
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited April 14
    JaimieT said:
    MrX said:
    JaimieT said:

I gotta say would be happy if I never heard that redlettermedia guy's voice again. 

Lol I was just venting, nothing personal. In my defense nothing in the embedded video identifies it as RLM before clicking on it so I didn't go seeking it out voluntarily!

I have enjoyed the thoughtful criticism on these forums about the direction of Star Wars, just not a fan of that particular format is all.
    MrX said:
    JaimieT said:
    MrX said:
    JaimieT said:

Lol I was just venting, nothing personal. In my defense nothing in the embedded video identifies it as RLM before clicking on it so I didn't go seeking it out voluntarily!

I have enjoyed the thoughtful criticism on these forums about the direction of Star Wars, just not a fan of that particular format is all.

It's like complaining about a Daily Show clip in a political thread. It's not your thing, but even the people who make Star Wars listen to these guys. 

... which is a point I've made on here before.

God even this became cyclical.
  • MrX said:
    JaimieT said:

I forgot what voice it was, clicked, and immediately remembered and regretted. Yeah, that schtick does not work for me and I just find it super annoying. 
    Elisa