Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker

Comments

• I really hope that the scene of Rey hugging Leia and the title "Rise of the Skywalker" are somehow red herrings...I can't think of anything more lame than Rey being a Skywalker.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    As a woman, who is for the first time seeing women as leads in my fantasy stories, and not being forced to imagine myself as a man to fully participate, I would love for Rey to be a Skywalker because I'd love a Skywalker Jedi proxy. I hope they retcon the shit out of that. I understand that men are tired of Chosen One stories and have moved on, but maybe they should wait their turn. 

Also, saying you want Rey to be sidelined from the Chosen Family because you want her to end up with your villain male proxy, no thank you. Enough with twisting female characters to complement the man's journey. It really burns when she's the protagonist.
    CretanBull
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited April 14
    -
    Chinaskinstinson
  • Kylo’s helmet being put back together might be the most eye-rolling moment in the history of Star Wars, and that’s saying something considering Jar-Jar is a thing.
    CretanBullCapeGabe
  • JaimieT said:
    As a woman, who is for the first time seeing women as leads in my fantasy stories, and not being forced to imagine myself as a man to fully participate, I would love for Rey to be a Skywalker because I'd love a Skywalker Jedi proxy. I hope they retcon the shit out of that. I understand that men are tired of Chosen One stories and have moved on, but maybe they should wait their turn. 

Also, saying you want Rey to be sidelined from the Chosen Family because you want her to end up with your villain male proxy, no thank you. Enough with twisting female characters to complement the man's journey. It really burns when she's the protagonist.
    I think you've read things into my comment, and I probably should have explained myself more rather than just left a comment that was open to interpretation.

Rey is - almost literally - the only thing that I've liked about the last two movies.  I want her to have her own legacy and not be shoehorned in to that old rotting legacy.  Everything that they've done with the old characters has been absolutely dreadful.  Let them die.  I'm only interested in Rey and her story.  Don't make her an add-on to ruined and washed up old story, don't drag her down by tying her to the past.  Let her be a chosen one in her own right, and not have her specialness tied to Luke (or whoever else).  I don't want her to be sidelined, I want her to sideline everyone else.

I'm not sure if your last comment was aimed at me or just a general comment (or assumption about what I might think?) but nothing could be further from what I want.

Elisarkcrawf
  • Kylo’s helmet being put back together might be the most eye-rolling moment in the history of Star Wars, and that’s saying something considering Jar-Jar is a thing.
    I think JJ ruined Star Wars, Johnson tried to course correct and now JJ is undoing that to put it back on the ultra lame trajectory that he set it on. 
    RyanReesemanElisaAww_PHuuCkCapeGabe
  • edited April 14
    Kylo’s helmet being put back together might be the most eye-rolling moment in the history of Star Wars, and that’s saying something considering Jar-Jar is a thing.
    I think JJ ruined Star Wars, Johnson tried to course correct and now JJ is undoing that to put it back on the ultra lame trajectory that he set it on. 
    RJ tried to take it in a new and interesting direction, and when the internet SW fans shit their pants over the prospect of moving on from the Skywalkers, they brought back the nostalgia shill and named a whole ass movie after them.

Nobody has “ruined” Star Wars, though.
    ElisaweeniegirlAww_PHuuCk
    edited April 14
    JaimieT said:

I think you've read things into my comment, and I probably should have explained myself more rather than just left a comment that was open to interpretation.

Rey is - almost literally - the only thing that I've liked about the last two movies.  I want her to have her own legacy and not be shoehorned in to that old rotting legacy.  Everything that they've done with the old characters has been absolutely dreadful.  Let them die.  I'm only interested in Rey and her story.  Don't make her an add-on to ruined and washed up old story, don't drag her down by tying her to the past.  Let her be a chosen one in her own right, and not have her specialness tied to Luke (or whoever else).  I don't want her to be sidelined, I want her to sideline everyone else.

I'm not sure if your last comment was aimed at me or just a general comment (or assumption about what I might think?) but nothing could be further from what I want.

The last part was not aimed at you; it was something I read at some point that I also found to be tone-deaf to the concept that a female Skywalker who is also a Jedi might be an important cultural moment. And my entire comment wasn't aimed at you either, since you're not the only one saying this ITT.

@cdrive Really, I'm talking feminism and you post a gif of mops getting up in arms?
    CretanBull
  • I don't have this idea that the Skywalkers are awesome and Rey isn't worthy....I think the Skywalkers are super lame and want more for her.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited April 14
    @JaimieT my mistake, I deleted it. That was supposed to go in the MLB thread. 

Edit: btw I agree. I’m cool with Rey getting all that shine. This trailer was badass. 
    JaimieTMrXChinaski
    RJ tried to take it in a new and interesting direction, and when the internet SW fans shit their pants over the prospect of moving on from the Skywalkers, they brought back the nostalgia shill and named a whole ass movie after them.

Nobody has “ruined” Star Wars, though.
    I guess it's subjective opinion, but I really think that Force Awakens ruined Star Wars.  The original characters had a satisfying ending to their story, but JJ brought them back just to shit all over them.  I found every second of that movie that wasn't related to Rey's story to be absolutely dreadful.
    seanray
    cdrive said:
    @JaimieT my mistake, I deleted it. That was supposed to go in the MLB thread. 

Edit: btw I agree. I’m cool with Rey getting all that shine. This trailer was badass. 

Bahahahahaha

Here, take my award for the most poorly timed gif misplacement of 2019. It was so bad I couldn't even get offended. 
    cdrive
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited April 15
    At this point in time the best thing to come out of the Skywalkers is Leia.  As Jedis, they've been disasters - they must be the most notorious Jedi in all of Jedidom, because it's repetitive disasters over the generations now.  Anakin is Cersei Lannister with a face turn at the very end, and Kylo went down the same path with Luke as his teacher.  

IMO it would be nice to have a "Chosen One" who isn't a Skywalker.
    CretanBull
  • The Skywalker family is the worst thing that ever happened to The Force. RJ pointing that out and trying to democratize that power is one of the best parts of TLJ. 

I have a feeling that JJ will have nothing to say on that matter. But at least Kylo will have his helmet back. *fart noise*
    CretanBullDoctor_Nick
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    The Skywalker family is the worst thing that ever happened to The Force. RJ pointing that out and trying to democratize that power is one of the best parts of TLJ. 

I have a feeling that JJ will have nothing to say on that matter. But at least Kylo will have his helmet back. *fart noise*
    Huh? It’s the Skywalker story. It’s been like that every since Lucas decided to retcon Vader into Luke’s Father. And then making the prequels the story of Anakin. 

every SW fan had every right to expect the sequel trilogy to be a Skywalker story. And if you watch TFA it actually makes more sense having Rey be a Skywalker. 

IE. why is the millennium falcon on Jakku? Why is Han and Chewy so close by? Why did Luke create a map where part of it was on Jakku? 

all of these questions could have been answered in episode 8  but RJ decided to throw them out in favour of his ego. He wanted to be “the guy who flipped the script” and it totally fucked the entire narrative. 

JJ clearly had a story he set up. Luke fucked up Ben and Snoke took control and created the Knights of Ren. Luke was able to escape with his Daughter but hid her with the help of Han. Han looked after Rey from afar. Luke needed to find himself after almost falling to the dark side and needed to come back.

instead we got RJ’s story which makes no sense. Yea, he expanded the universe but he just ignored a ton of plot points from 7. He never answers the reason for the map. He never answers why the MF happens to be on the same planet as Rey and why Han is conveniently right there. 

Lets be honest. RJ got a big head, Kathleen Kennedy fucked up. She didn’t pull a Kevin Feige and demand a single narrative. She allowed the directors to write their own stories and it fucked up the entire trilogy. 
    JoshuaHeter
  • The issue is that fucking up kinda seems to be what Skywalker Jedis do, in a powerful fashion.  I'm not sure why we're supposed to be so enamored with this Jedi family at this point.

Another question becoming apparent is that if 1-2 evil Jedi can just consistently throw the known galaxies for a loop every decade or two, Jedi are a force for good?

Hatorian said:
    The Skywalker family is the worst thing that ever happened to The Force. RJ pointing that out and trying to democratize that power is one of the best parts of TLJ. 

Huh? It’s the Skywalker story. It’s been like that every since Lucas decided to retcon Vader into Luke’s Father. And then making the prequels the story of Anakin. 

every SW fan had every right to expect the sequel trilogy to be a Skywalker story. And if you watch TFA it actually makes more sense having Rey be a Skywalker. 

IE. why is the millennium falcon on Jakku? Why is Han and Chewy so close by? Why did Luke create a map where part of it was on Jakku? 

all of these questions could have been answered in episode 8  but RJ decided to throw them out in favour of his ego. He wanted to be “the guy who flipped the script” and it totally fucked the entire narrative. 

JJ clearly had a story he set up. Luke fucked up Ben and Snoke took control and created the Knights of Ren. Luke was able to escape with his Daughter but hid her with the help of Han. Han looked after Rey from afar. Luke needed to find himself after almost falling to the dark side and needed to come back.

instead we got RJ’s story which makes no sense. Yea, he expanded the universe but he just ignored a ton of plot points from 7. He never answers the reason for the map. He never answers why the MF happens to be on the same planet as Rey and why Han is conveniently right there. 

Lets be honest. RJ got a big head, Kathleen Kennedy fucked up. She didn’t pull a Kevin Feige and demand a single narrative. She allowed the directors to write their own stories and it fucked up the entire trilogy. 

CretanBull
  • The Skywalker in the title most likely does not refer to a person but a new order of some kind.  The 3 titles of the third film in each trilogy:

Revenge of the Sith
    Return of the Jedi
    Rise of Skywalker

The first two follow the pattern of verb beginning with R, 'of' preposition, Order.  If we extrapolate to the new title Skywalker = some kind of order which makes sense since the Jedi are essentially extinct and something new must take its place.  Initially, I hoped the final trilogy would be a melding of dark and light to fight some new existential threat.  Kind of a Dark Crystal idea where when the two sides come together and balance each other out (Balance to the Force..where have I heard that before?), the true power of the Force can finally be realized.  This power is needed to overcome this new threat.  It makes for an appropriate thematical story arc:

1st trilogy = Dark side coming to power
    2nd trilogy = Light side defeats the Dark side
    3rd trilogy = Light and Dark side merge to realize full Force potential.  

Unfortunately, the corporate think tank decided to play it safe with the first one (fun game:  each time you see/hear resistance replace with rebellion and do the same with first order/empire) and then completely botch the second by trying to be ironically clever and guardians of the galaxy in tone.   Perhaps this new Skywalker order will be this melding I have been hoping for and will be the good movie we have been waiting for since '83.  I'll be over here holding my breath.  
    BroRad33CretanBullJoshuaHeterDoctor_NickHatorian
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    On the Skywalker thing: This isn't my take but I'll share it. A Skywalker is a user of the force who combines & balances the light & dark sides of the force together and is neither Jedi nor Sith. Could be Rey and/or Kylo (if she is able to turn him from the dark side)
  • Didn't any of you read the Courtship of Princess Leia? No? Well, lucky you.

Anyway, in that book Luke's fighter gets shot down so he floats himself down from the upper atmosphere without a parachute, and THAT'S how they got the name Skywalker. Man, the old EU was great. 
    JoshuaHeter
    asmallcat said:
    Didn't any of you read the Courtship of Princess Leia? No? Well, lucky you.

Anyway, in that book Luke's fighter gets shot down so he floats himself down from the upper atmosphere without a parachute, and THAT'S how they got the name Skywalker. Man, the old EU was great. 

I love that book. 
    It's awful.
    I almost reread it last week when I saw it on my Kindle.
    I skip all the Luke parts. 
    asmallcat
    With all the catch-up work he is doing, I don't think JJ will have any time to include scenes that rename the Jedi "Skywalkers," and Disney wouldn't allow that due to the 2 park Galaxy's Edge investments. Also it would be "Rise of THE Skywalker" or "Rise of SkywalkerS," to be pedantic.

It's just a terrible title that's a fantastic marketing decision. After KK's handling of E8, I have no expectations of whatever the fuck it means. 

My one pet theory about E9 is it will have a mediocre box office, KK will be fired and we can course correct the franchise. That's my episode 9 "good outcome."
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    edited April 16
    as long as they don't retcon Rey's parentage and make her a Skywalker, I'm good. That will cross a line for me of being too much walking back of what Rian Johnson established in TLJ (which I loved)
    gguenot
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited April 16
    I always feel weird pitching Jim and Aron content ideas (they obviously know what they are doing), but since this is (allegedly) the end of the Skywalker saga, it might be cool if they release their First Run Bald Movie for IX 2 or 3 days (or maybe as long as a week) after the premiere, so Club Members can have a chance to see it, let it settle in, and send in feedback.
    JaimieT
  • JJ Abrams on Rey

"I will say that we knew, going into this, that this movie, it had to be a satisfying conclusion. And we were well aware that that’s one of the things that’s been out there. I don’t want to say that what happens in Episode 8 [didn’t happen]. We have honored that. But I will say that there’s more to the story than you’ve seen."

God help us. That sounds like an easy inroad to "you were lied to. LUKE IS YOUR DADDY!"
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    asmallcat said:
    JJ Abrams on Rey

"I will say that we knew, going into this, that this movie, it had to be a satisfying conclusion. And we were well aware that that’s one of the things that’s been out there. I don’t want to say that what happens in Episode 8 [didn’t happen]. We have honored that. But I will say that there’s more to the story than you’ve seen."
    ANAKIN CLOOOOONE
    asmallcat
    asmallcat said:
    JJ Abrams on Rey

God help us. That sounds like an easy inroad to "you were lied to. LUKE IS YOUR DADDY!"

Yeah, I've thought about what type of scene it's most likely Carrie Fisher filmed with Daisy Ridley. 
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/05/star-wars-keri-russell-is-the-roguish-zorri-bliss/amp

I gotta admit... I found myself a little bummed out scrolling through the Vanity Fair pictures... I think because things look pretty cool, but I’m just sort of “meh” about the whole thing.

Again, it just seems like a real boneheaded move to not have a single person (a single group of people) plan out the whole trilogy.
    BroRad33DJ_150
    "Their Force-connection—what Driver calls their “maybe-bond”—will turn out to run even deeper than previously revealed."

Magical twin trope incoming...
    JoshuaHeter
  • I've decided that I'm back on board if Rey's parents are Luke and Leia. This story is almost over so let's get weird with it. 
    JoshuaHeterCapeGabe
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    asmallcat said:
    JJ Abrams on Rey

ANAKIN CLOOOOONE
    I don’t know if this is meant to mock that theory, but I actually really like it and it tracks with Johnson’s movie while ultimately letting Rey be her own person.