Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker

Comments

• redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited May 22
    Again, it just seems like a real boneheaded move to not have a single person (a single group of people) plan out the whole trilogy.

If only there was some example of this being successfully done within their own corporation, with just as much story and lore and canon to contend with,  and ending up with massive amounts of critical praise and fan adoration as well as box office return.

:) 

• chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Another thing that Vanity Fair article mentions is Benioff and Weiss’ trilogy being first and then Johnson’s presumably happening sometime later.

I know these guys are all on some people’s shit lists now but I think B&W do have real talent that mostly failed when it came to collapsing intricate plot threads. I think Star Wars is at its best when it’s not heavy on plot and focuses on basics - visuals, heroism, and lots of cool shit. Space opera, basically. I think without existing stories and characters both Johnson and B&W could do just fine. My complaint is just that they haven't diversified the directors more by now. They’re doing a good job of that in front of the camera but not behind it. 
    Keri Russell’s character looks great, and she’s great. Hope she doesn’t get Phasma’d. My biggest complaint with TLJ is they didn’t find anything interesting for her to do. 
    Frakkin T
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited May 22
    redlancer said:
    Again, it just seems like a real boneheaded move to not have a single person (a single group of people) plan out the whole trilogy.

If only there was some example of this being successfully done within their own corporation, with just as much story and lore and canon to contend with,  and ending up with massive amounts of critical praise and fan adoration as well as box office return.

Are you saying Feige didn't have a plan and isn't a big chunk of responsible for Marvel's success? Also, are you referring to Marvel? Also if you think these are the same product, why do you think the SW fanbase is less fair than the Marvel fanbase? What do you do with the overlap in fanbases? Also let me introduce you to comic books. God, I wish episode 7-9 were based on the Thrawn trilogy.

Edit: I really can't tell which way your sarcasm is going; it could go both ways tbh.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    chrisk said:
    asmallcat said:
    JJ Abrams on Rey

"I will say that we knew, going into this, that this movie, it had to be a satisfying conclusion. And we were well aware that that’s one of the things that’s been out there. I don’t want to say that what happens in Episode 8 [didn’t happen]. We have honored that. But I will say that there’s more to the story than you’ve seen."
    ANAKIN CLOOOOONE
    I don’t know if this is meant to mock that theory, but I actually really like it and it tracks with Johnson’s movie while ultimately letting Rey be her own person. 

Nah I like it too. I think it'd be a cool direction even if it does sabotage a the Rey being just a random person aspect that a lot of people like.
    chrisk said:
    asmallcat said:
    JJ Abrams on Rey

"I will say that we knew, going into this, that this movie, it had to be a satisfying conclusion. And we were well aware that that’s one of the things that’s been out there. I don’t want to say that what happens in Episode 8 [didn’t happen]. We have honored that. But I will say that there’s more to the story than you’ve seen."
    ANAKIN CLOOOOONE
    I don’t know if this is meant to mock that theory, but I actually really like it and it tracks with Johnson’s movie while ultimately letting Rey be her own person. 

Nah I like it too. I think it'd be a cool direction even if it does sabotage a the Rey being just a random person aspect that a lot of people like.

JJ Abrams, from what I have observed, doesn't mind doing things that are predictable as long as they make sense. He's not about that "subvert your expectations" life. So I could see this being a thing.
  • edited May 22
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/05/star-wars-keri-russell-is-the-roguish-zorri-bliss/amp

I gotta admit... I found myself a little bummed out scrolling through the Vanity Fair pictures... I think because things look pretty cool, but I’m just sort of “meh” about the whole thing.

Totally Agree, whether people think TLJ is good or bad, I think a lot of people's issues stem from JJ going one way and Johnson going another. If it was one director for all 3, no matter the director, i think it would be a lot more well received.
    JoshuaHeterken hale
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    JaimieT said:
    redlancer said:

Are you saying Feige didn't have a plan and isn't a big chunk of responsible for Marvel's success? Also, are you referring to Marvel? Also if you think these are the same product, why do you think the SW fanbase is less fair than the Marvel fanbase? What do you do with the overlap in fanbases? Also let me introduce you to comic books. God, I wish episode 7-9 were based on the Thrawn trilogy.

Edit: I really can't tell which way your sarcasm is going; it could go both ways tbh.

lol, yes, 100% referring to Feige and Marvel MCU. He clearly *did* have a plan and it will be the gold standard for quite a while of how to draw a storyline through these epic tent-pole franchises and make it work. All from [mostly] different directors and overall visions for each individual movie. 

My point was this example and blueprint was created by their own (Disney's) employees and Lucasfilm just seemed to kinda ignore it and try to connect the dots afterwards. Now the [what's billed as] conclusion to the franchise will be spent seemingly retcon-ing the last few movies to make everything make sense? Not the best use of your 120 minutes of screentime but they don't seem to really have a choice at this point. 

Both have a massive back catalog of story to pull from, and Marvel Studios had mostly nailed it on how to get this to work by both pulling from other content (comics for MCU, EU books for SW) and forging a new story.

Just trying to agree with everyone that yes, it didn't seem like anybody mapped out the overall story before they started. If JJ makes the second movie after Force Awakens, I'd have to believe there's no way Luke throws his lightsaber over his shoulder in the opening scene. Leaving your movie on a cliffhanger and as the writer not knowing what's supposed to happen next seems a bad way of storytelling.
    BroRad33JaimieTawookiee
    chrisk said:
    Keri Russell’s character looks great, and she’s great. Hope she doesn’t get Phasma’d. My biggest complaint with TLJ is they didn’t find anything interesting for her to do. 

I mean, I’m dead

• MrXMrX CO
    chrisk said:
    chrisk said:

I mean, I’m dead

Badass. Hopefully she gets to "Elizabeth Jennings" the shit out of some folks.

chrisk
  • I'm clearly not as invested in the Star Wars universe as most of you. The original trilogy came out well before I was born and I was 11 when The Phantom Menace came out. My parents had shown me the original trilogy before I saw Phantom Menace in  theaters and honestly from what I can remember I enjoyed Phantom Menace. I never got into the added lore (books) and I remember after seeing The Clone Wars I lost a lot of interest in Star Wars.

Then the force awakens trailer came out and there was so much hype around it, I immediately felt the force pull me back into it. Before that came out I decided to rewatch all the movies and I was reinvested in the franchise. I absolutely loved the force awakens and for the most part the last Jedi as well and I'm looking forward to seeing how they finish out the Skywalker saga. I think it's almost to the extent of common knowledge that Rian Johnson and JJ Abrams clearly had different directions they were going with this final trilogy and it's a shame they didn't just give it to one or the other but we have what we have and I'm happy with it.

I feel like I'm going into this final movie with the benefit of not really having strong feelings one way or the other with how the plot has shifted and where things have gotten complicated. I'm basically along for the ride and excited regardless about the final destination. That's not to say they can't ruin it for me but I don't have strong feelings one way or another about lots of things people are upset about.
    gguenot
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    new poster art. personally, i like it..

HatorianMurderbear
  • Looks really dope. My wife is super pumped that it’s looking like all of the Reylo’s theories are coming to fruition 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I need to see the teaser they showed at D23!
  • Couldn't be more excited for this end of the saga.  I think I'm in the minority that really enjoyed The Last Jedi.  I definitely get peoples complaints about what it did and I understand peoples complaints about the pointless trip to Canto Bight but for me it wasn't that big of a deal.  Nothing will come close to the original trilogy but this trilogy is leaps and bounds better than the prequel trilogy.  

I heard the teaser they showed at D23 had Rey using a red double sided lightsaber... Let the speculation begin.
    gguenot
    edited August 26
    I really wish they didn't feel so compelled to keep bringing this back to the original trilogy, and I worry Abrams is just going to wallow in that because he's a born crowd pleaser. I thought he was a good choice to kick things off for that reason, but putting him in charge of the larger story and ending it just seems like a bad creative decision. The best thing about Star Wars to me is things I haven't seen before. I'd rather they have let Johnson take it in whatever direction he was going or give it to someone new entirely. This world ought to be expanding nine movies in and they seem to insist on sticking with what's familiar. Maybe it'll surprise me though.

About that footage - that Dark Rey has to be some kind of vision, I'd think. It looks like she's changed physically the way many of the Sith are. 
    So I know JJ Abrams is going "fuck it" and doing whatever he wants here (as per his interview) but I'd hate to learn that a Jedi can pretend to be a Sith as a con. Anyway, that Rey shot just makes me laugh in a Last Jedi "this is terrible" way, because whether it's an honest turn or a con, it's bad. And as a marketing hook it's so desperate it's still funny. 
    JoshuaHeter
    edited August 26
    chrisk said:
    I really wish they didn't feel so compelled to keep bringing this back to the original trilogy, and I worry Abrams is just going to wallow in that because he's a born crowd pleaser. I thought he was a good choice to kick things off for that reason, but putting him in charge of the larger story and ending it just seems like a bad creative decision. The best thing about Star Wars to me is things I haven't seen before. I'd rather they have let Johnson take it in whatever direction he was going or give it to someone new entirely. This world ought to be expanding nine movies in and they seem to insist on sticking with what's familiar. Maybe it'll surprise me though.

About that footage - that Dark Rey has to be some kind of vision, I'd think. It looks like she's changed physically the way many of the Sith are. 

They should have extended this out to 10 episodes, since at its best The Last Jedi is an addendum to TFA, a reinterpretation not a development. But it dawned on me this week that they are leaning hard on the marketing aspect of "the end of the saga," and even if they have full intent to develop Rey and the gang in future films they can't announce it, otherwise that's giving the audience an excuse to sit this one out, like Solo. But FOMO on the "conclusion of the epic" when you've caught the first 8. 
    JoshuaHeterBroRad33
  • The folding Darth Maul lightsaber looks extremely silly and I’m also all about it. That is all. 
    ken hale
    edited August 26
    JaimieT said:
    chrisk said:

They should have extended this out to 10 episodes, since at its best The Last Jedi is an addendum to TFA, a reinterpretation not a development. But it dawned on me this week that they are leaning hard on the marketing aspect of "the end of the saga," and even if they have full intent to develop Rey and the gang in future films they can't announce it, otherwise that's giving the audience an excuse to sit this one out, like Solo. But FOMO on the "conclusion of the epic" when you've caught the first 8. 

Holy shit, and I said all of this before seeing the new teaser, which is 2/3 footage from the OG and prequels and has THE STORY OF A GENERATION COMES TO AN END all big.

Btw, to those who may not now (and many do), the only reason this annoys me is it means Kathleen Kennedy will live to fuck up some more movies. Otherwise it's perfectly good marketing.
    edited September 6
    The potential plot was leaked on /r/starwarsleaks and it is tasty. For everyone who just wants to know how they're going to get out of this. I'm sure we're not allowed to discuss leaks here.
  • JaimieT said:
    The potential plot was leaked on /r/starwarsleaks and it is tasty. For everyone who just wants to know how they're going to get out of this. I'm sure we're not allowed to discuss leaks here.
    I assume if you made another thread that explicitly said it was about leaks that would be ok? In any event I won't read it because there's always a decent chance it's fake and, even if it's not, reading a plot summary is almost never satisfying (except when I want to catch up on the insanity that is TWD but don't want to invest dozens of hours of my life in it lol). 
    asmallcat said:
    JaimieT said:
    I assume if you made another thread that explicitly said it was about leaks that would be ok? In any event I won't read it because there's always a decent chance it's fake and, even if it's not, reading a plot summary is almost never satisfying (except when I want to catch up on the insanity that is TWD but don't want to invest dozens of hours of my life in it lol). 

Yeah this was a rare case where I literally just wanted a summary to avoid wasting hours of my life. ;) Good idea about a second thread.
    ken hale
  • JaimieT said:
    asmallcat said:
    JaimieT said:

Yeah this was a rare case where I literally just wanted a summary to avoid wasting hours of my life. ;) Good idea about a second thread.
    Even as someone who is firmly meh on TLJ, I still want to see this in theaters (although I'm not hopeful it will be above a 7/10). Even if it's a trainwreck, it will be interesting to be involved in that cultural phenomena. It's the same reason I'm playing World of Warcraft Classic. The game is bad, but all my old college friends are playing ans trying to recapture their youth and it's a fun cultural moment to be involved in. Same with GoT, actually. Season 8 (or was it 9? Amazing how much my brain is already forgetting the show) sucked, and in a vacuum I'd never watch it, but it was fun to experience with everyone. No Man's Sky was similar too (I don't really regret paying full retail at release cause it was an interesting moment to be a part of, minus all the toxic gamer shit happening to devs and reporters). 

I was a hardcore SW fan back in the day. Watched the movies more than once a month, read all the awful EU books, went to midnight releases of all the prequels (albeit with increasingly less optimism), and at this point I'm on the main movies train till it pulls into the station or flies off a cliff. Whatever happens the ride will be fun, and the effects will probably be great. 
    JaimieT
    asmallcat said:
    JaimieT said:
    asmallcat said:
    JaimieT said:

Even as someone who is firmly meh on TLJ, I still want to see this in theaters (although I'm not hopeful it will be above a 7/10). Even if it's a trainwreck, it will be interesting to be involved in that cultural phenomena. It's the same reason I'm playing World of Warcraft Classic. The game is bad, but all my old college friends are playing ans trying to recapture their youth and it's a fun cultural moment to be involved in. Same with GoT, actually. Season 8 (or was it 9? Amazing how much my brain is already forgetting the show) sucked, and in a vacuum I'd never watch it, but it was fun to experience with everyone. No Man's Sky was similar too (I don't really regret paying full retail at release cause it was an interesting moment to be a part of, minus all the toxic gamer shit happening to devs and reporters). 

I was a hardcore SW fan back in the day. Watched the movies more than once a month, read all the awful EU books, went to midnight releases of all the prequels (albeit with increasingly less optimism), and at this point I'm on the main movies train till it pulls into the station or flies off a cliff. Whatever happens the ride will be fun, and the effects will probably be great. 

Yeah, I could get behind having fun for fun's sake but I feel like it's my fucking duty take a stand here by boycotting a bad franchise because I need better franchises and better entertainment to lull me into a stupor so I don't notice so much that fascists are taking over. Maybe I should rethink that. Am I missing something?
    ken hale
  • JaimieT said: 
    Yeah, I could get behind having fun for fun's sake but I feel like it's my fucking duty take a stand here by boycotting a bad franchise because I need better franchises and better entertainment to lull me into a stupor so I don't notice so much that fascists are taking over. Maybe I should rethink that. Am I missing something?
    No that's totally reasonable. Especially the 2nd half =P
    JaimieT
  • I bought my tickets today. My honest feeling isn’t so much that I bought tickets to a movie I’m excited to see. It more so feels like I was assigned homework for some sort of debate class that will never officially end.
    BroRad33Freddy
    I bought my tickets today. My honest feeling isn’t so much that I bought tickets to a movie I’m excited to see. It more so feels like I was assigned homework for some sort of debate class that will never officially end.

Do what I did. Read the leaks and wait it out. ;)
    JoshuaHeter