Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker

1235»

Comments

• So watching ep 9 is like how many of us watched ep 3? I get that...
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited November 20
    So, I rewatched Rogue One; I liked it even more than before, but it got me thinking about the sequel trilogy.  I think my real problem with the sequel trilogy boils down to the "soft-reboot" issue. It doesn't feel like a continuation of the OT. It feels like a "re-imagining" of the Star Wars universe. Here's just a quick thought experiment.

Imagine if (upon buying the franchise) Disney announced "We aren't going to do a sequel trilogy. Instead, we are going to do a trilogy that 're-imagines' the Star Wars universe. It will still have the same Star Wars feel, but with new characters and a new conflict." I *think* most fans would be furious and hate this idea. Right? Here's the point. How much of the sequel trilogy would have to be changed in order to make it just a "re-imagining" of Star Wars (as opposed to it being a sequel)? And, how much would that *really* affect the story or characters? The answer to these questions of course isn't zero, but I think it's... not much. 

In contrast, *to me*, Rogue One - however unnecessary - feels like it's imbedded in the actual OT story. Perhaps it's a chapter that could have been glossed over - but it doesn't seem like it's out of another book. By contrast, the sequel trilogy just seems like it's a tack-on from a parallel universe.
    JaimieTBroRad33
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    I may be in the minority but of the last 4 movies Rogue One and The Last Jedi are my favorites. I hated Solo and thought TFA was just ok. 
  • fidoz said:
    I may be in the minority but of the last 4 movies Rogue One and The Last Jedi are my favorites. I hated Solo and thought TFA was just ok. 

I just rewatched Rogue One on Disney+, and it kind-of rules more than I remembered. Looks great in 4K HDR too.
    JoshuaHeter
  • edited November 20
    So, I rewatched Rogue One; I liked it even more than before, but it got me thinking about the sequel trilogy.  I think my real problem with the sequel trilogy boils down to the "soft-reboot" issue. It doesn't feel like a continuation of the OT. It feels like a "re-imagining" of the Star Wars universe. Here's just a quick thought experiment.

Imagine if (upon buying the franchise) Disney announced "We aren't going to do a sequel trilogy. Instead, we are going to do a trilogy that 're-imagines' the Star Wars universe. It will still have the same Star Wars feel, but with new characters and a new conflict." I *think* most fans would be furious and hate this idea. Right? Here's the point. How much of the sequel trilogy would have to be changed in order to make it just a "re-imagining" of Star Wars (as opposed to it being a sequel)? And, how much would that *really* affect the story or characters? The answer to these questions of course isn't zero, but I think it's... not much. 

In contrast, *to me*, Rogue One - however unnecessary - feels like it's imbedded in the actual OT story. Perhaps it's a chapter that could have been glossed over - but it doesn't seem like it's out of another book. By contrast, the sequel trilogy just seems like it's a tack-on from a parallel universe.
    They just shouldn’t have done a sequel trilogy to begin with. You were never going to do anything satisfying with a bunch of 60 year old actors for the hardcore fans of the OT other than put them in pass-the-torch type rolls. They should have just started a new trilogy set years after the holy trinity had died off.
    BroRad33
  • So, I rewatched Rogue One; I liked it even more than before, but it got me thinking about the sequel trilogy.  I think my real problem with the sequel trilogy boils down to the "soft-reboot" issue. It doesn't feel like a continuation of the OT. It feels like a "re-imagining" of the Star Wars universe. Here's just a quick thought experiment.

They just shouldn’t have done a sequel trilogy to begin with. You were never going to do anything satisfying with a bunch of 60 year old actors for the hardcore fans of the OT other than put them in pass-the-torch type rolls. They should have just started a new trilogy set years after the holy trinity had died off.
    I’m not gonna be one that says well if they made the movie in my head it would have worked but there’s definitely some cool things they could have done with the OT guys. IMO they just decided to do the worst possible choice. Have ANH2 and then let a bunch of directors muddy the waters with their own visions and plots. 
    BroRad33