What grinds my gears (today)

Comments

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited June 2019
    Sorry to hear that man. Sucks. 

Everyone hails when the insurance companies start removing Oxy and other pain pills from their coverage. Everyone sees it as this huge win against abuse. While I’m sure it helps it’s really 1. Insurance companies saving billions of dollars and 2. Really really really hurting people who need it for legit pain. Causing them thousands of dollars in money now. 

Banning pain pills from insurance is not an answer. Stopping the Doctors from overperscribing is the only answer so that people with real pain issues can get what they need while the ones who are abusing pill popping get cut off. 
    Travis
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    @Travis I am so sad to hear about your wife. I wish I had more than words to offer. I know we are both in Cali so perhaps one day I can offer support. 
    Travis
  • Thanks again, so much everybody. I honestly feel better today. I think between venting here and all of the kindness and support you guys have shown and good chats with my dad and my wife a lot of the pressure has diminished. I mean, obviously it's still scary and I'm still feeling a lot of complicated feelings, but the balloon isn't nearly as full. I am honestly very grateful and appreciative of what a wonderful collection of folks you guys are. Thank you! I kind of wish my shrink appointment was sooner (though time is such a speedy blur lately that it'll arrive before I know it, and if I get really anxious for it he's said I can call ahead and he'll make time. Great guy), but I am pretty sure I'll find myself in some sort of a group within the next couple of weeks. We're seeing the doctor who did the procedure and also treats the CRPS on Wednesday so hopefully we'll get a lot of good information. Anyhoo, thank you so much.

@Hatorian, right?! Our insurance company hasn't pulled that on her particular medications yet, but it's a fear that has and will continue to linger. The other really rough part (and it's all tied together via public perception), which hasn't come up in a bit so it's a little surprising that it hit my brain yesterday (and leads to a more traditional "gear grinder") is that the media never tells my wife's side of the story. I understand that it complicates the issue and makes it more convoluted which isn't great for news shows, but for once I would love to see them sacrifice a story about how someone's life was ruined by abuse and tell the story of someone who suffers from a chronic pain condition and give some air to their challenges. Tell the story about how they are left to feel like the world sees them as drug addicts (and it's functionally true very often that they do, we've seen the looks) and how constant the pain is. It's really vexing how uninterested the media is in that story and where that leaves the narrative for people who have no true basis for what it's like to have a chronic pain condition. Even members of my own family took YEARS to understand why she couldn't just "take a couple Advil and stop taking that crap." It's tough when public perception is what it is on the matter and where everyone wants to tell the story of how opioides kill people and ruin lives, no one is particularly interested in the other side of it. I've written a news station or two, asking them to do so, but of course they know and would tell the story if they wanted to. It's really frustrating.

Also, I could write a friggin book on insurance company gripes. Oh boy, that's a deep well.
    Hatorian
  • Travis said:

@Hatorian, right?! Our insurance company hasn't pulled that on her particular medications yet, but it's a fear that has and will continue to linger. The other really rough part (and it's all tied together via public perception), which hasn't come up in a bit so it's a little surprising that it hit my brain yesterday (and leads to a more traditional "gear grinder") is that the media never tells my wife's side of the story. I understand that it complicates the issue and makes it more convoluted which isn't great for news shows, but for once I would love to see them sacrifice a story about how someone's life was ruined by abuse and tell the story of someone who suffers from a chronic pain condition and give some air to their challenges. Tell the story about how they are left to feel like the world sees them as drug addicts (and it's functionally true very often that they do, we've seen the looks) and how constant the pain is. It's really vexing how uninterested the media is in that story and where that leaves the narrative for people who have no true basis for what it's like to have a chronic pain condition. Even members of my own family took YEARS to understand why she couldn't just "take a couple Advil and stop taking that crap." It's tough when public perception is what it is on the matter and where everyone wants to tell the story of how opioides kill people and ruin lives, no one is particularly interested in the other side of it. I've written a news station or two, asking them to do so, but of course they know and would tell the story if they wanted to. It's really frustrating.

Also, I could write a friggin book on insurance company gripes. Oh boy, that's a deep well.
    I have seen a few articles online of people with similar stories but you are right. its waaaay more focused on the epidemic problem. there was an article on yahoo not too long ago but a lady with some disease that only 200 people worldwide have. so she struggles to get her pain meds and can only go to like 1 doctor because the rest of the doctors think she is pill shopping. their were 3000+ comments on the article of lots of other people with similar stories. so you are not alone. I definitely agree with a previous post to take a look at support groups. good luck man. 

heres a recent article. not the one i was referring to but they are out there... https://news.yahoo.com/pain-patients-left-anguish-doctors-195434023.html
    Travis
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I can’t with this guy.  He’s been driving this truck around town for years.  I try to forget about it but every once in a while I’ll see him around town or at the mall and it reminds me of how much I loathe him.  He actually did have the words covered for a little while but there they are, in all their glory.  I’m surprised he doesn’t have truck nuts dangling off the back.

Freddy
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    wow. what a creep!  :#
    MichelleNoelTravis
    Chinaski said:
    wow. what a creep!  :#
    Right???  I've never been the type to vandalize anything but I swear, if I had a can of black spray paint and an opportunity...
    ChinaskiTravis
    have you ever made eye contact with this assclown? if so, please tell me you gave him gave him a death stare. curious, how old do you think this piece of work is?
    MichelleTravis
    Chinaski said:
    have you ever made eye contact with this assclown? if so, please tell me you gave him gave him a death stare. curious, how old do you think this piece of work is?
    He looks older, maybe in his late 50s or early 60s.  I usually just see him driving, but I did see him at the mall once and definitely gave him the eye of shame.

ChinaskiTravis
    haha late 50’s, early 60’s fella circling a mall in that truck? well he just climbed a few rungs on the creep ladder.
    Travis
    edited June 2019
    Chinaski said:
    haha late 50’s, early 60’s fella circling a mall in that truck? well he just climbed a few rungs on the creep ladder.
    He was actually walking from the parking lot toward Kohl's at the mall with his family (I assumed they were his family - wife and a couple of granddaughters).  Not that it makes it any better. 
    ‘grandpa, what this on your truck mean?’ 

as grandma says:

’honey, that’s how me met..’

and the sticker now has sentimental value
    MichelleHatorianNoelTeresa from ConcordTravis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited June 2019
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    He was actually walking from the parking lot toward Kohl's at the mall with his family (I assumed they were his family - wife and a couple of granddaughters).  Not that it makes it any better. 
    It was the dude from Poison, wasn't it? Only possible conclusion I can draw. 

@Hatorian thanks, man for the support and the interest in the subject. Nice to see and it's nice to know that there is more out there than I thought at least. I'm looking forward to giving the article a read over lunch. Cheers, man!
    Hatorian
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I feel like my purpose in life is to continually point out that the word capsicum ends with ‘m’, not ‘n’. 
  • Dee said:
    I feel like my purpose in life is to continually point out that the word capsicum ends with ‘m’, not ‘n’. 
    americans only know it has red, green or yellow pepper. Or at least thats how i grew up. i only started calling it capsicum when i moved to Australia. If i asked for red peppers on my pizza i would literally get red peppers...
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Hatorian Yeah, if you’re asking for peppers here you’re gonna get spicy!
    Hatorian
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I layed my motorcycle down yesterday. Got some good road rash on my arm and a bit on my knee. Unfortunately my bike suffered a lot more than I did. It's going to be a long time before I'm going to be able to replace all the stuff that got messed up. I know I am lucky because it could have been way worse but it sucks. I was considering selling my bike this year because I hardly ever ride anymore. Now I don't know what to do. It's a 2003 so finding parts can be a real hassle anymore. Is it going to be worth it to fix it all up and then sell it and probably break even? At this point I'm about to try and sell it as is. See if I can find someone who wants a nice "project bike."
    Travis
    @Murderbear that’s awful!  I’m so sorry!  But I’m thankful you weren’t hurt worse.  It will get better - the arm, the knee, and you’ll have another bike before you know it.
    NoelMurderbear
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I layed my motorcycle down yesterday. Got some good road rash on my arm and a bit on my knee. Unfortunately my bike suffered a lot more than I did. It's going to be a long time before I'm going to be able to replace all the stuff that got messed up. I know I am lucky because it could have been way worse but it sucks. I was considering selling my bike this year because I hardly ever ride anymore. Now I don't know what to do. It's a 2003 so finding parts can be a real hassle anymore. Is it going to be worth it to fix it all up and then sell it and probably break even? At this point I'm about to try and sell it as is. See if I can find someone who wants a nice "project bike."
    "Bones heal, chicks dig scars, and the United States of America has the best doctor to daredevil ratio in the world." -Lance Murdock
    Murderbear
  • I layed my motorcycle down yesterday. Got some good road rash on my arm and a bit on my knee. Unfortunately my bike suffered a lot more than I did. It's going to be a long time before I'm going to be able to replace all the stuff that got messed up. I know I am lucky because it could have been way worse but it sucks. I was considering selling my bike this year because I hardly ever ride anymore. Now I don't know what to do. It's a 2003 so finding parts can be a real hassle anymore. Is it going to be worth it to fix it all up and then sell it and probably break even? At this point I'm about to try and sell it as is. See if I can find someone who wants a nice "project bike."
    Jesus...sorry to see that man but Glad you’re alive. Did you land on your bike’s exhaust and get burnt or something else that was extremely hot? The symmetry of your injury definitely isn’t road rash. 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    No, it's all road rash. It is definitely oddly shaped so I guess I moved my arm while sliding? I don't know. As much as it sucks ass right now because it hurts and changing bandages and wrappings sucks too, I am amazed I didn't get more. My hip is a little sore from where I hit the road but I can't believe I don't have any damage from sliding on my side.
  • No, it's all road rash. It is definitely oddly shaped so I guess I moved my arm while sliding? I don't know. As much as it sucks ass right now because it hurts and changing bandages and wrappings sucks too, I am amazed I didn't get more. My hip is a little sore from where I hit the road but I can't believe I don't have any damage from sliding on my side.
    Damn man. Just Glad you’re ok. Looks brutal 
    MurderbearMichelleNoelTravis
    Can someone please explain to Amazon that two days Prime delivery does not mean *seven* days??????? :neutral:
    Travis
    On another note, ex boyfriends are exes for a reason.... sometimes you're reminded of that reason.  Grrrrrrrr. :neutral:
    TravisNoelDee
  • I'm bummed. I just found out that one of, or perhaps my favorite client passed away today. He was 95 and fighting multiple cancers and it was expected, probably a mercy to an extent, but dammit it sucks. Dr. William Trumbull, RIP. 

He was a crack up. He used to always joke with me that all he needed from me was to keep him out of an orange jumpsuit in Lompoc. I would tell him that it was fine. If he ever got busted I'd bake a saw into a cake and bring it to him, and we'd laugh, or when it got to the point where he couldn't drive anymore he would joke that I should look out on the side of the freeway when I drove to work in case he decided to come up and see us (this one doesn't translate so well, but he lived like 50 miles away to kind of illustrate the joke. It always would crack me up in his delivery). Sincerely one of the warmest people I've ever known, and "warm" isn't typically a word that I would use to describe people. Just suits him perfectly though. Kind and generous with a aged voice that you could tell used to "boom" gregariously (still gregarious, but a little less boom with age) and an Oklahoma accent. A great voice. One that instantly lets you know that you're dealing with a hell of a guy. I only met him in person once, but we talked on the phone a handful of times a year for his income taxes or other issues. I'm really going to miss that guy. Really bummed that I'm not going to hear that voice again.
    Dee
    @Travis so sorry to hear that. :cry:
    NoelTravis
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Michelle said:
    Can someone please explain to Amazon that two days Prime delivery does not mean *seven* days??????? :neutral:
    I wanted to piggyback on this one. Do you feel like their physical delivery quality has also gone down? My packages seem like they’ve been handled more roughly as of late. Makes me nervous to order anything fragile.
    MichelleTravis
    Noel said:
    Michelle said:
    I wanted to piggyback on this one. Do you feel like their physical delivery quality has also gone down? My packages seem like they’ve been handled more roughly as of late. Makes me nervous to order anything fragile.
    I haven't seen damaged packaging, but one of my boss' orders arrived in a box where the ends had been folded in but not secured with tape.  Thankfully she wasn't missing anything, but something could easily come out of there or be taken by a less than honest postal employee.  :confused:
    Noel
  • Given the way Amazon treats its workers to get 2-day shipping, maybe we need to all be willing to have 5 day shipping again. 
  • Michelle said:
    There was a 6 month period where I had 4 day Prime shipping and then suddenly I started getting my packages in 1 day. Might be doing that in your area.

As far as package handling I don't find the new Amazon drivers to be any worse than FedEx or UPS. I guess they are just as worse.

One time I went out to greet a FedEx guy delivering a case of dog food. I held out my arms and this jackwagon dropped it from chest height right in front of me and turned and walked away.  I was so stunned I couldn't even yell at him. I was just standing there thinking WTF?