What grinds my gears (today)

Comments

• TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2020
    The Bernie Bros need to stop it. We all get it and it sucks. I agree that it sucks that the machine is throwing its weight around, but get off the Warren people, quite whining, and maybe try wooing some voters as opposed to shaming and alienating them. All this whining and grievance does Bernie no service.

Also, it was Super Tuesday. Only a small percentage of the delegates were apportioned before yesterday and if Warren had made a better showing things could be different and we didn't know for sure (not to mention that a stronger campaign showing perhaps lends itself to a VP nod). It sucks that I feel the need to justify myself for voting the way that I did.
    Dee
  • MichelleMichelle California
    EC-cetera.  I've heard two different people say it today. (Both were podcasters, not Bald Move related.)

I wonder if these same people write 'should of', 'would of', and 'could of'.  #grammarsnob
    JaimieT
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Michelle I do try not to be judgy about how people speak but my biggest bugbear is “all the sudden” and it’s SO common. I hear it all the time in scripted TV and movies and I hope it’s just the actors slipping into their natural vernacular because I’d hate to think people who write professionally think that’s correct. 
    Michelle
    Dee said:
    @Michelle I do try not to be judgy about how people speak but my biggest bugbear is “all the sudden” and it’s SO common. I hear it all the time in scripted TV and movies and I hope it’s just the actors slipping into their natural vernacular because I’d hate to think people who write professionally think that’s correct. 
    Same, of course I don't judge people for something like how they speak, but inside it gets to me.
    Dee
  • edited April 2020
    I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the Covid-19 thread.

Dear Delivery People,

Please do not put my packages/groceries right up against my door so I can't open it.

I know these are stressful times for you and I do really appreciate how you have gotten me through the past month (See the tip I left you?) and if I need any extra passive aggressive I'll let you know. Currently my family are black belts in passive aggressive so I have more than I know what to do with.

Have a nice day and thank you for your service.

DeeNoel
    As pretty much expected, the New Order/Pet Shop Boys tour of N. America has been postponed to next fall.  I was *so* looking forward to it. :cry:
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Michelle said:
    As pretty much expected, the New Order/Pet Shop Boys tour of N. America has been postponed to next fall.  I was *so* looking forward to it. :cry:
    My 15 year old was crying Saturday because that was when she was supposed to be at the BTS concert in Dallas.
    MichelleNoel
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Spent half my afternoon yesterday arguing with a guy over a government policy after he was given wrong information by some random. Double checked it and triple checked it for him, finally he accepted I was right. Logged on this morning to find said policy has been changed overnight - now I gotta ring him back and tell him. 

NoelFreddyGiovanni
  • Dee said:
    Spent half my afternoon yesterday arguing with a guy over a government policy after he was given wrong information by some random. Double checked it and triple checked it for him, finally he accepted I was right. Logged on this morning to find said policy has been changed overnight - now I gotta ring him back and tell him. 

I'd just change my name and move to another city.

MichelleDeeNoelcdrive
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    It’s lunch time here and I just put some champaggen in the fridge for later because so far it has been THAT KIND OF A DAY. 
    NoelHatorianChinaskiMichellecdrive
    edited May 2020
    That moment when you're having a great morning, then you find that your roommate WHO WAS RECENTLY DIAGNOSED WITH COVID-19 - and is supposed to be isolating - decided that your clothes in the washing machine, that *aren't hers*, should all go in the dryer right then and there so that she can do her laundry, without saying anything to you, and shrinks every fucking piece of your laundry because she blasted it on high heat.  :angry:
    DeeHatorian
  • Michelle said:
    That moment when you're having a great morning, then you find that your roommate WHO WAS RECENTLY DIAGNOSED WITH COVID-19 - and is supposed to be isolating - decided that your clothes in the washing machine, that *aren't hers*, should all go in the dryer right then and there so that she can do her laundry, without saying anything to you, and shrinks every fucking piece of your laundry because she blasted it on high heat.  :angry:

Sorry to hear that.

I'm no stranger to long protracted petty wars I refuse to lose because the other person is wrong but I've never had the other person holding the 'Rona trump card over me.

I'd file it away until there is no longer a chance of catching it. Then unleash hell.

Perhaps we need a thread of greatest house war moments to stock up on ideas. 

Hatorian
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Michelle said:

Aren't ALL women (and married men) supposed to know that is a deadly sin?!  Ooosh!  You SHOULD be so mad.
    CapeGabe said:
    I'd file it away until there is no longer a chance of catching it. Then unleash hell.
    Too late.  I went off on her through her bedroom door.  Well, *went off* might be a bit too strong but I was very direct in my words.  I told her she should have asked me to take my own items out, that she shrunk everything she put in, that it was presumptive to just take my items out without even considering the fact that I might have more laundry to do, that on top of that she is supposed to be isolating yet instead she's been just hanging out all over the house like no big deal, and that with her Covid diagnosis she shouldn't even be touching *anything* that isn't hers.  

Call it petty if you want.  I don't care.  I'm so, so fucking over this.  I didn't like her much anyway, but *deep sigh*.  
    She does stupid, thoughtless, irritating things all the time and I've hit my limit.  I want to move out today.
    CapeGabeDeeNoel
  • Amazon Prime is borderline unwatchable.  Hulu has a great catalog, but the quality is inconsistent.  Netflix's non-HD service looks consistently good, uses a lot less data, and is the cheapest option here.  How does this make sense? These platforms need to...

yelling figure it out GIF by Barstool Sports
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Michelle This is why I have mostly lived alone since I was about 22 - other people are annoying idiots.

My daughter flipped her shit with her housemate the other day because she stayed over at my house as she had an early work start and I live closer to her work. While she was away her housemate had a bunch of people over (in a tiny house) and then let one of them stay over and sleep in Lily’s bed. !!!! She didn’t even tell Lily, Lil sussed it when she realised her bed had been remade, and the housemate just could not see what the big deal was. 
    Michelle
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Man. I’d rather live at home with my parents than have another roommate. At least I know my parents habits and can stand them. I was done with roommates at 25. I couldn’t do it anymore. My last roommate was alright and we did have a good apartment that had the living room in between the bedrooms. But I couldn’t stand the pettiness that just always seemed to seep in with all roommates. Stupid stuff like my roommate asking me to stop having 5am coke parties every night...ha kidding. My biggest problem was the roommates I chose all were very compulsive. Which I was fine with in terms of them wanting for throw a last minute party or what not. But it was more about them making huge decisions that impacted me with very little notice. 2 different times I had roommates that took jobs out of the state and gave me 1 month to find a new roommate. I mean I can’t really pull the “contract” card when it’s their career but it’s it’s still fucky. A third guy just decided 3 months before the end of our lease(I was always assuming we were just renewing) he didn’t want to renew and was moving to another town nearby. 
    Michelle
    edited May 2020
    Dee said:
    My daughter flipped her shit with her housemate the other day because she stayed over at my house as she had an early work start and I live closer to her work. While she was away her housemate had a bunch of people over (in a tiny house) and then let one of them stay over and sleep in Lily’s bed. !!!! She didn’t even tell Lily, Lil sussed it when she realised her bed had been remade, and the housemate just could not see what the big deal was. 

I'm on Lily's side with this one.  That's a major breach.  
    DeeHatorian
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Michelle Oh, me too. That is an invasion of someone else’s space any time, let alone risking leaving your virus germs all over someone else’s bed. 
    MichelleHatorian
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited May 2020
    Media fatigue. I just can't seem to find anything to scratch the digital entertainment itch. Can't find a video game that's fun to play, and can't find anything to watch. Reading is almost always an option, but not buzzed on a Saturday night.
    Michelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Freddy I spent most of yesterday and last night lying on the couch watching Seinfeld. I have no motivation to get into any new shows at the moment. 
    ChinaskiNoelMichelle
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Dee said:
    @Freddy I spent most of yesterday and last night lying on the couch watching Seinfeld. I have no motivation to get into any new shows at the moment. 
    i could host a mean Seinfeld trivia session!
    NoelDeeMichelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Chinaski I feel like I could do well at that as I’ve seen it a million times, but I also have the memory of a goldfish so who knows. 
    ChinaskiMichelle
  • 100% on Lily's side with that. That's absolute bullshit that they did that and especially that they never said anything. At least have the decency to ask. 

And @Michelle sorry to hear about your situation as well. You never touch another person's clothes in general let alone changing them over from the wash to the dryer and especially not with everything going on with COVID and knowing that you currently have it. You have every right to be as upset as you want to be. 
    Dee
  • edited May 2020
    Michelle said:
    CapeGabe said:
    Too late.  I went off on her through her bedroom door.  Well, *went off* might be a bit too strong but I was very direct in my words.  I told her she should have asked me to take my own items out, that she shrunk everything she put in, that it was presumptive to just take my items out without even considering the fact that I might have more laundry to do, that on top of that she is supposed to be isolating yet instead she's been just hanging out all over the house like no big deal, and that with her Covid diagnosis she shouldn't even be touching *anything* that isn't hers.  

Call it petty if you want.  I don't care.  I'm so, so fucking over this.  I didn't like her much anyway, but *deep sigh*.  
    She does stupid, thoughtless, irritating things all the time and I've hit my limit.  I want to move out today.
    I lived in an apartment where there was one washer and dryer (still coin operated! Thanks greedy landlords) for about 16 apartments, and on multiple occasions I had someone stop the washer while it was washing, pull out my still soapy clothes, and leave them on top of the washer. I was livid, but didn't escalate, because that person is clearly a sociopath and I didn't want to end up with my body parts scattered in garbage bags across greater Boston. 

GredalBee said:
    Amazon Prime is borderline unwatchable.  Hulu has a great catalog, but the quality is inconsistent.  Netflix's non-HD service looks consistently good, uses a lot less data, and is the cheapest option here.  How does this make sense? These platforms need to...
    Not to mention Amazon's UI feels like it's from a geocities site in 1999. Seriously I still have to google search "amazon prime streaming" to get to the damn homepage on my PC (because if you just search the show or movie on Amazon you get fucking DVD's to buy), and on the app for my Xbox (which we use for streaming to the TV) you have to fucking click through to learn if it's actually available, and if you want to rent it you have to go to another device and rent it through amazon's website. It's unbelievable. 

Edit - Oh, and we use a universal remote for streaming on the xbox (logitech harmony - look into them if you want a reasonable and affordable universal remote) and literally every other streaming service lets you use the pause, play, etc buttons, BUT NOT AMAZON! You have to use the controller button equivalents. So dumb. 
    Michelle
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Amazon prime is ok here. They have the office, Parks and Rec, community, basically the NBC catalogue, etc. 
    But the biggest issue is you can’t easily move forward and backward to a specific time or scene. As mentioned above the UI sucks. If you want to go to a specific scene your only option is the old fashioned fast-forward or rewind. 
  • Read an article today and This part really ticked me off. 

Israel, however, managed to carve out an exception. Though not an investor in the F-35’s development, Tel Aviv was nonetheless quick to sign on to the program with an initial order of fifty. It also negotiated a favorable deal in which billions of dollars worth of F-35 wings and sophisticated helmet sets would be manufactured in Israel, paid for with U.S. military aid. Furthermore, depot-level maintenance will occur in a facility operated by Israeli Aeronautics Industries rather than at a Lockheed facility abroad.

I understand the concept of its better to have wars on foreign soil. And America has a history of using its money to basically use foreign lives instead of losing American lives in battle. But this is a bit ridiculous, especially with the jobs going to Israel. I wish our military aid would go to education and infrastructure. Imagine what we could do if we helped graduate thousands of more Scientists.
    This has been such a shit week.  So glad it's Friday though.
    Big hugs to anyone else who has just *gone through it* this week.
    NoelDeeFreddycdrivebridgy1112
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Ahhh mannn!  So Centerpoint Energy decides to do a planned power outage for maintenance work on my block conveniently right during the 1st televised Astros game in many months, therefore knocking out my DVR.  :/  
  • cdrive said:
    Ahhh mannn!  So Centerpoint Energy decides to do a planned power outage for maintenance work on my block conveniently right during the 1st televised Astros game in many months, therefore knocking out my DVR.  :/  
    That's a huge bummer. I'm not into baseball that much but I understand people have been sports deprived for so long that I understand how much people were truly looking forward to baseball being back.
    cdriveMichelle