Arya’s weapon

so i took a picture of the weapon she asked Gendry to make. It looks to me like a torch with dragon glass. So maybe the scene in the trailer of her running in the crypts is actually a trap. 

telephoneofmadnessSanguinePenguin

Comments

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Also in the trailer we don’t see the full weapon she’s carrying. She only shows the dragonglass piece. 
  • Doesn't dragonglass shatter when it kills a white walker? And does it shatter when it kills a wight? 

This may be nothing more than a way for her to quickly change out damaged/destroyed spear points. 
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    asmallcat said:
    Doesn't dragonglass shatter when it kills a white walker? And does it shatter when it kills a wight? 

This may be nothing more than a way for her to quickly change out damaged/destroyed spear points. 
    The white walkers shatter into tiny shards of ice/snow when they are pierced by dragonglass or valyrian steel. The wights just fall over dead (again). I don't think that dragonglass itself shatters, or at least there is no evidence of that and we've seen our heroes in S7 using the same dragonglass weapons over and over to kill wights.

That said, obsidian is very brittle, so realistically these would be shitty weapons that wouldn't last very long. But we're in fantasy world where obsidian can be melted down and fused with metals to be made into weapons that last at least entire battles. I doubt the Hound is getting multiple obsidian battle axe heads to switch out throughout the battle.

I was hoping that's it's a double-sided spear that she could spin around like Darth Maul. That would be badass.

She already has a valyrian steel dagger, so I don't see the point in being able to take the smaller end off to use as a short-range dagger type weapon. Unless asmallcat is hitting on something and she just wants to be able to replace the spear head when/if the dragonglass breaks.
  • asmallcat said:
    Doesn't dragonglass shatter when it kills a white walker? And does it shatter when it kills a wight? 

The white walkers shatter into tiny shards of ice/snow when they are pierced by dragonglass or valyrian steel. The wights just fall over dead (again). I don't think that dragonglass itself shatters, or at least there is no evidence of that and we've seen our heroes in S7 using the same dragonglass weapons over and over to kill wights.

That said, obsidian is very brittle, so realistically these would be shitty weapons that wouldn't last very long. But we're in fantasy world where obsidian can be melted down and fused with metals to be made into weapons that last at least entire battles. I doubt the Hound is getting multiple obsidian battle axe heads to switch out throughout the battle.

I may be mixing it up with the books. I thought when Sam stabbed the Walker the blade shattered. It might be when he stabbed Small Paul in the books that I'm thinking of though. 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited April 17
    Hatorian said:
    Also in the trailer we don’t see the full weapon she’s carrying. She only shows the dragonglass piece. 
    There is a shot with some fire in the background towards the end and she is twirling something over her head
    Kate23
  • I think if it was a straight-up spear then there wouldn't be any separation or arrows to indicate where to slot the dragonglass head. 

I believe it's a dragonglass tipped spear that has a harpoon like firing mechanism so she can take names traditionally but also have a ranged attack that can fire out the end and be replaced. She could have a bunch of "ammo" in a pouch or something that allows her to hot-swap out new spear/harpoon tips. 

The spirally objects near the back look to me like elastic/corded material to make the above contraption work. 

Whatever it is, she's gonna kill like at least 7 undead with it. Maybe even 8!

cdriveCeciliaM
    How would you fire it? Like, what inside there could project that out? The Scorpion, literally just a bigger crossbow mounted on a swivel, is treated like a huge invention. They are still pretty primitive in this world. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about Arya getting badass weaponry but I feel like that's an awful big risk to launch off your extremely valuable Dragonglass tip you probably would not get back.

I think it's going to be a staff with a possibly removable tip for up close fighting. But she needs something that you "STICK 'EM WITH THE POINTY END!"
    How would you fire it? Like, what inside there could project that out? The Scorpion, literally just a bigger crossbow mounted on a swivel, is treated like a huge invention. They are still pretty primitive in this world. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about Arya getting badass weaponry but I feel like that's an awful big risk to launch off your EXTREMELY VALUABLE Dragonglass tip that you would probably not get back.

She needs something that you can "STICK 'EM WITH THE POINTY END!"
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited April 17
    I thought it was a projectile at first glance too, but I think it's meant to detach for versatility.  Like she can go full Donatello or break it in two and go Raphael in one hand and sort of half-Donatello in the other hand.  
  • Arya was so close to inventing guns. She just had to reverse the direction of the arrow.
    cdriveMurderbearasmallcatTravis
    cdrive said:
    I thought it was a projectile at first glance too, but I think it's meant to detach for versatility.  Like she can go full Donatello or break it in two and go Raphael in one hand and sort of half-Donatello in the other hand.  
    See I like that idea better if its double ended spear and you can split it in half. That would make it badass and would be fun to watch in battle.
    The thing about just taking off the short end at the top to use in close quarters is redundant given that she already has a much better and more reliable valyrian steel dagger for that purpose.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited April 17
    cdrive said:
    See I like that idea better if its double ended spear and you can split it in half. That would make it badass and would be fun to watch in battle.
    The thing about just taking off the short end at the top to use in close quarters is redundant given that she already has a much better and more reliable valyrian steel dagger for that purpose.
    I was literally just thinking this too. It's confusing.  Why would she need to split one off when she has a valyrian steel short weapon already?  I guess 2 daggers are better than 1?  

But looking at it in slo-mo, she is definitely twirling some pole-style weapon, and exactly like the Waif when they were training with bow staffs.  Maybe she is supposed to fling the detachable side? haha fuck i dont know
  • I think it's some sort of "Swallow" type weapon(as used in Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy IX), basically two daggers with a staff in the middle connecting them. The way the drawing Arya gave to Gendry looks to me is maybe one end uses her Valyrian Steel dagger and the other end uses dragonglass, and they can join together for more range and break apart for close quarters. 
    SanguinePenguinTravisbbord
  • I figured it wouldn't shoot out like a gun but rather be detachable and connected with a chain. There's weapons like that. Maybe similar to the Kusari-Gama Knife? No clue if that is the right name, just googled it.  

https://www.karatemart.com/images/products/large/ninja-kusari-gama-8195061.jpg 
    SanguinePenguin
  • raabnhood said:
    I figured it wouldn't shoot out like a gun but rather be detachable and connected with a chain. There's weapons like that. Maybe similar to the Kusari-Gama Knife? No clue if that is the right name, just googled it.  

https://www.karatemart.com/images/products/large/ninja-kusari-gama-8195061.jpg 
    This is pretty close to what I was imagining too. Something she could launch and then inevitably swing (which could play awesome on screen given her fighting style).
    raabnhood
  • It is Scorpion's "Get over here" Harpoon. haha
    budesigns