Beaches!

MichelleMichelle California
Not the movie... :smirk:

What's the best beach you've been to?  Softest sand, bluest water, not too crowded - whatever you thought made it the best.

Of course I have a love of our local Humboldt County beaches, so I'm biased toward Moonstone Beach.  The sand is not too grainy or 'pebbly', it's the perfect stretch for a nice walk, and it's surrounded by redwoods.  It's just really pretty.  If I were doing a top 3 though, my 2nd choice would be Half Moon Bay State Beach.  The last time I was there the sand was super soft and more beige than gray.  Plus it was at sunset, and was *gorgeous*.  My 3rd choice would be the shoreline at Pismo Beach.
Travismajjam0770Noelcdrive

Comments

• Man, that's tough. I have a couple for different purposes.

My beach that I have the most of a connection with is probably this little stretch of Faria in Ventura, on the way out towards Santa Barbara. It's a rocky spot and my friend's family has shared rights to a beach house out there and thanks to my friend's willingness to "share the wealth" I just associate that place with great times with great friends. It's also really beautiful. When the tide is further out tide pools form, which is a lot of fun. It's a little out of the way so it's never incredibly crowded. Just a wonderful spot.

My favorite beach in that more "amazing vacation" kind of way is on Kauai, in the Hanalei section. It's actually right where they shot The Descendants. My folks have sprung for a week there for the whole family a couple of times (thanks ma and pops) and there is just something about that little calm beach that is just perfect. Once again, it never seemed to get too crowded. Peaceful and beautiful and the water is perfect in both temperature and in how clear it is. It's basically heaven.

For the softness of sand, it's funny that you bring that up specifically because we were on a road trip up north tagging along with my ex-sister in law and her husband and my niece and nephew so my niece could check out the Cal State in Monterey Bay. We took this little detour around this fancy golf course and happened upon this beach that had the softest sand I could possibly imagine. I honestly didn't know sand ever was that soft. It was pretty crazy. Also, there was a big hill which made for awesome tumbling.

There are so many great ones, but those are some that come to mind. 
    majjam0770Michelle
  • Cannon Beach in Oregon. Not a swimming beach really (at least not when we went in spring)but with the big seastacks it is visually stunning. Best of all, they allow dogs and my Labrador was about as happy as a dog can be with the beach outside the door and sticks aplenty to chase. 

Kalaloch in Washington is a close 2nd. Great tide pools nearby and wildlife, including resident bald eagles and otters. And Olympic rainforest right where the beach ends.  It just wasn’t  as dog friendly which I understand. 

I have been to more  vacation-y beaches in San Diego and Bahamas and Florida and they were all great but the PNW beaches are more my thing. 

TravisMichelleCeciliaM
  • Cannon Beach in Oregon. Not a swimming beach really (at least not when we went in spring)but with the big seastacks it is visually stunning. Best of all, they allow dogs and my Labrador was about as happy as a dog can be with the beach outside the door and sticks aplenty to chase. 

Kalaloch in Washington is a close 2nd. Great tide pools nearby and wildlife, including resident bald eagles and otters. And Olympic rainforest right where the beach ends.  It just wasn’t  as dog friendly which I understand. 

I have been to more  vacation-y beaches in San Diego and Bahamas and Florida and they were all great but the PNW beaches are more my thing. 

I haven't spent time on the beaches above CA, but I've driven down a fair chunk of the Oregon coastline, and it is absolutely beautiful. 
    MichelleCeciliaM
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited April 18
    Travis said:

My favorite beach in that more "amazing vacation" kind of way is on Kauai, in the Hanalei section. It's actually right where they shot The Descendants. My folks have sprung for a week there for the whole family a couple of times (thanks ma and pops) and there is just something about that little calm beach that is just perfect. Once again, it never seemed to get too crowded. Peaceful and beautiful and the water is perfect in both temperature and in how clear it is. It's basically heaven.

I second Hanalei Bay - it's definitely straight out of a movie. Stayed on the South side of Kauai so we didn't spend as much time as we'd like up north - definitely need to stay up there some day.

Another "this place isn't real" beach I've been to is Petite Ceyes in St. Martin - secluded awesome little beach that you can only hike or boat to. We were basically the only ones there when we visited.

TravisNoelMichelle
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    Michelle said:
    Not the movie... 
    Way to preempt my totally solid “You are the Wind Beneath my Wings” joke.
    TravisMichelle
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I've never been to CA, or any beach like that.  Ours are all grey, very fine sandy type of beaches (kind of like Dragonstone, IIRC).  I did grow across the road from a mile and a half long beach though.  And while my province isn't very wide (you can drive across it in an hour or so), it's a peninsula and is about 95% surrounded by water, so we do have lots of coastline and beaches.
    MurderbearMichelle
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    I’ve been to the movie’s beach. It’s amazing. Unfortunately it’s shut down now as it needs to recover but good on thailand for making the right Long term call. It hurts tourism now but preserves one of the last beautiful beaches on the planet. Also, Great Barrier Reef and Maldives are close 2 and 3 .
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited April 19
    @Travis, that beach in Faria sounds like a cool spot.  If I’m ever down there I’ll have to check it out.  I’ve actually never been on a beach south of Pismo.  Aren’t the SoCal beaches usually pretty crowded?  I’m not usually fond of that much, in fact Santa Cruz is about as crowded as I can handle and that’s pushing it a little.  I agree with you about that beach in Monterey (I want to say it’s Pebble Beach? Pacific Grove?  Something like that.)  Actually, I really love that region.  If you are ever near Carmel you should go there too.  And, I agree with you and @majjam0770 about the Oregon coastline - most of their beaches are beautiful.

It looks like I need to visit Hanalei though or - omg - @MrX - that beach in St. Martin looks heavenly!  I love a secluded beach where I can just do my thing and not be bothered.  I can totally see sunbathing there, drink in hand, not a care in the world.  Plus, that beige sand and turquoise-aqua-green water just wants to be swam in! :heart:
    edited April 19
    JoshuaHeter said:
    Way to preempt my totally solid “You are the Wind Beneath my Wings” joke.
    Haha, sorry!  Did you ever know that you’re my hero?  :grin:
    JoshuaHeter
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    It kills me that digital cameras weren't a thing when I spent 9 days in Hawaii. It's so beautiful I don't even believe it 23 years after the fact.

But my favorite beach is the west side of High Island in Lake Michigan. White sand; tall dunes; beautiful, clear, fresh water; only accessible by private boat and therefore most times you literally have the entire island all to yourself. Rock star living at podcaster prices.
    majjam0770Michelle
    It kills me that digital cameras weren't a thing when I spent 9 days in Hawaii. It's so beautiful I don't even believe it 23 years after the fact.

But my favorite beach is the west side of High Island in Lake Michigan. White sand; tall dunes; beautiful, clear, fresh water; only accessible by private boat and therefore most times you literally have the entire island all to yourself. Rock star living at podcaster prices.
    I remember you talking about High Island before and it sounds *amazing*, the perfect beach.
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    I'm not a big beach person so I haven't been to many of them but I've had mostly great experiences.

I'm trying to remember exactly how old I was when I went, must've been 12 or 13. I went on a trip with my family to Veracruz, Mexico. We were told to hit Tampico as a starting point but it was a waste. Way too crowded and the sand/water wasn't that great. Went a couple hours south to Tuxpam and it was a lot better. Then we kept going down the coast and found a small town. I can't remember the name (I'll have to ask my parents) but it was incredible. Perfect sand and water. We ate grilled fish that a local guy had just caught. 

Beach was very nice but I had a good experience in Clearwater because I was with my entire extended family. I also had a fun time in Miami. I was 22 and very much in party mode the entire time I was there. Met some ladies who went to the University of Miami, and the rest is self explanatory. I don't remember half of the trip.  :D

Funny enough, one of my better beach experiences was when I went to NYC. It was in July and I was visiting for my birthday and decided to make half of my day for the beach. Took the A all the way from Brooklyn and it was a cool ride. Had some incredible Arepas down by the beach, SO so good. Then on the way back to the city, took the ferry on a whim and it was a dope experience. It went around where Coney Island is, through the upper bay and into Manhattan. 

Just this past October I was in San Diego, first time on the west coast and it was super cool. Coronado beach was nice but the best was when I went a bit up north to La Jolla. Man, that place is like something out of a movie. I wasn't even sure I was on planet Earth because it was so beautiful. Went to see where the seals hang out and I regretted it. If there's big groups of them, they smell REALLY bad. At least those did. The Cove was really cool, the water was cold but it was nice to get my feet in. I even got to see a seal swim about five feet from where I was standing about knee-deep in the water. 
    majjam0770Michelle
  • Best overall I can recall is Cancun. Perfect weather, bluest water, and nearly white sand.
    Puerto Rico (Isla Verda) was very nice, but lots of seaweed. I like that you can walk between the restaurants on the beach.
    Mallorca’s Magaluf is also very nice for a beach, but a very clubby town
    Barcelona makes the list bc you can walk there
    South Miami Beach is okay, but super crowded. Most of the SFLA beaches are okay. I’m partial to Del Ray. Don’t love Palm Beach bc they don’t have any public facilities and it was metered parking
    For some reason, we saw the beach from a distance in Maui. Never went in, Went snorkeling, but then went to the hotel pool. Saw a surf competition in N Oahu, but the water was way to rough to get in. Honolulu was nice, but very crowded (ran into Jon Hamm and Jessica Pare doing the shoot for the Mad Men season premier)
    i was impressed with the view at Santa Monica
    i think the Delaware beaches are underrated. The beaches are clean, wide, and the towns are great
    i like Avalon, NJ as a beach town, but the beaches in NJ are shit

I hope to retire to a beach town one day. 
    Michelle
  • I feel like maybe I haven't been to my favorite beach yet. I've mainly been to beaches in the PNW (I live in the Seattle area) with a few in Southern CA that are probably more touristy.

But so far I have to second @majjam0770 and say Cannon Beach is awesome. There's a lot to see with the rock formations, tidepools, marine life, etc. I also happen to live about 6 miles from a beach area that is pretty fun to walk around on, have a bonfire etc. that also has a lighthouse. Pacific Northwest beaches aren't really "chill in the sand in your bikini" beaches. They are more like "put on a jacket and take a brisk walk" kind of experiences. So unless it's during our six weeks of summer, or you are in a high tourist traffic place like Cannon Beach, you almost always have the beach pretty much to yourself with maybe a few other groups spread out widely, which is nice. 

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah

Not sure if you’ve been to the Warren dunes. It’s pretty popular area and the beaches are pretty good. The dunes are awesome. But the water itself sucks ass. The water is full of dead fish and other nasty things coming ashore. 
  • gguenotgguenot CA
    edited April 19
    Travis said:
    Man, that's tough. I have a couple for different purposes.

My beach that I have the most of a connection with is probably this little stretch of Faria in Ventura, on the way out towards Santa Barbara. It's a rocky spot and my friend's family has shared rights to a beach house out there and thanks to my friend's willingness to "share the wealth" I just associate that place with great times with great friends. It's also really beautiful. When the tide is further out tide pools form, which is a lot of fun. It's a little out of the way so it's never incredibly crowded. Just a wonderful spot.

For the softness of sand, it's funny that you bring that up specifically because we were on a road trip up north tagging along with my ex-sister in law and her husband and my niece and nephew so my niece could check out the Cal State in Monterey Bay. We took this little detour around this fancy golf course and happened upon this beach that had the softest sand I could possibly imagine. I honestly didn't know sand ever was that soft. It was pretty crazy. Also, there was a big hill which made for awesome tumbling.

I keep forgetting that you live like 5 mins from me. We should hang— I’m definitely not a murderer.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited April 19
    #1 Destin, FL. Crystal water and white sugar sand.  Close 2nd is Panama City Beach, FL for same reasons.  In June we’re piling the kids in the car and road tripping to PCB,FL. It’s about a 9 1/2 drive from Houston. It’s the pit stop before Orlando, but I wanna get 1 good half day of primo beach.  

#1 go-to for just the casual “hey let’s go to a good beach” is easily North Padre Island by way thru Corpus Christi, about a 3 1/2 drive from Houston. Emerald waters and great facilities with seclusion. 

Destin and PCB rank on the national stage, even world stage. North Padre is just nice logistically for me.  Carmel by the Sea in the Bay Area is amazingly pretty, just too bad that water is always so cold. Barcelona’s beach was nice. Cancun and Cozumel Chankanaab were super nice.  
    Michelle
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    gguenot said:
    Travis said:
    Man, that's tough. I have a couple for different purposes.

I keep forgetting that you live like 5 mins from me. We should hang— I’m definitely not a murderer.
    Exactly what a murderer would say.  :|

gguenotCeciliaM
    Even though it's Friday, I am so not into work today!  After this thread and all of your favorites, all I can think about is being somewhere like this.  :sunglasses: :heart:

CeciliaMNoel
  • @Michelle
    Totally ... I'm actually itching to go on a cruise at the moment.
    Michelle