Comments

• davidjacobsdavidjacobs Portland, OR
    Good finale. Did not "blow my mind" but solid. Think t hey have been building for years with Phillip and his shakiness on their overall mission. Now, he seems to have really hit a crisis point. Very interested to see where this goes. 
    Paige calling the pastor is not unexpected but just because her parents are Russians doesn't mean they are spies, so this could play out more slowly. Clearly Paige is not going to be turned anytime soon. As I thought, the Center was foolish to think otherwise. 
    Surprised no Martha in the finale, and who was that guy they hanged? 
    Finally, they dropped that teenager seduction plot like a hot rock. 
    steph_bMmmBop
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    edited April 2015

Good finale. Did not "blow my mind" but solid. Think t hey have been building for years with Phillip and his shakiness on their overall mission. Now, he seems to have really hit a crisis point. Very interested to see where this goes. 

Paige calling the pastor is not unexpected but just because her parents are Russians doesn't mean they are spies, so this could play out more slowly. Clearly Paige is not going to be turned anytime soon. As I thought, the Center was foolish to think otherwise. 
    Surprised no Martha in the finale, and who was that guy they hanged? 
    Finally, they dropped that teenager seduction plot like a hot rock. 
    The guy Phillip hung was the computer guy from the FBI, he told Martha Walter Taffet interviewed him for 3 hours. And expect Kimmy to come back a year older next year and Phillip will probably be pushed into sleeping with her at 17.

Finale was great IMO, really bummed we didn't get Martha this episode, if they knew we wouldn't have her this episode they should have saved Phillips reveal for this episode.

Pastor Tim and his wife definitely have to die unless they are somehow undercover KGB, and I don't know how Paige will react, she would definitely know something was up if he stopped showing at church.

I feel real bad for Phillip, I was disgusted during the hanging scene and it's good to see Phillip trying to come clean with Elizabeth with how this bothers him, that scene was very sad to watch. It's sad Elizabeth just kind of shrugged it off so it will be interesting to see where Phillip and Stans ex wife goes.

Cried when Elizabeth saw her mom, beautiful scene.

Nina in Russia? Meh.

Stan has gotten a license to go rogue and that's awesome.

Now if they indeed have a 5 year plan I imagine next season things have to start coming undone.
    steph_bMmmBopElisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I'm sure I should be sympathising but really all I feel for Paige is annoyance. What the hell was she thinking? What does she think is going to happen to her and Henry if her parents get caught? You've ruined everything, ruiner.
    ksa1001MmmBopElisa
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Oh Paige...ruiner indeed. I was completely at a loss over the no-show with Martha and have zero clue why Phillip is getting close to Sandra. Needless to say things should escalate next season and I'm glad they've been picked up for another.
    MmmBop
    You do have to realize Paige is a teenage girl who. while smart. doesn't have full reasoning capabilities yet. I can imagine she is completely freaked out and has nowhere to turn. She can't even talk to her brother about anything. Pastor is the only person she can trust. Pastor is not KGB but what will be advise her to do? 

Stan's new powers will really liven up his character. Still like Paige going to him and Stan using Paige as a double agent. I do what you do now dad, just not FOR you. 

Can't wait for next season. Hope Bald Move gets some stones and gets back on board.

ksa1001steph_bMmmBopAussieGreg
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    I don't know about that David, I think the Kimmy plot will probably be brought back next season since they never concluded it. Although it would be interesting if the writers found a way to have Phillip bring in Paige as part of training, but with the PT call who knows.
  • Is the Phillip's phone still being monitored by the Ruskies?
    Elizabeth
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    @tom_g LOL @ "Ruskies" and good point also.

If so they'll get a heads up and be able to get in front of any collateral damage it would bring about.
    Elizabeth
  • I'm hoping Bald Move picks it back up too.  A.Ron's hero Sepinwall says, 

' . . . "The Americans" has grown into an emotional powerhouse that's the best drama on television at the moment . . . every single thing in the episode was extraordinary, to the point where I had to remind myself to breathe a time or three.'

Sounds worthy doesn't it.
    ksa1001MmmBopElisa
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    edited April 2015
    The Elizabeth/her mum & Paige was so emotional, I felt close to tears. Paige annoys me at times @Dee but I understand her confusion as well. Phillip finding his job very difficult, his conscience is pulling him all ways. I can't wait till next season, this show has been awesome.
    Forgot to add I was disappointed that Phillip & Martha plot line was not resolved or mentioned.
    Elisa
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    @tom_g they screwed up dropping the show when they did, this season was unreal, personally I think the creators took this show to another level with how good it was this season.
    Elisatom_g
  • JayInMemphisJayInMemphis Memphis, TN
    @Drew & @MmmBop I know you both liked the scene with Elizabeth and her mom. I took it a different way.

I thought Gabriel was telling Phillip, right before the scene where Elizabeth sees her mom, that Phillip was acting out and needed to fall in line.

Next we see Elizabeth opening a closed door. Her mother isn't there yet, but she could have been on the phone. Either way, a women is wheeled in.

Elizabeth's face is a mask as she recognizes that this woman isn't her mother, that the request was impossible, but that here comes a woman being brought in by Directorate S in order to help recruit Paige through an emotional appeal.

Later, when Phillip asks Elizabeth about seeing her mother, he asks her if it was good to see her mother again. She pauses for a second, and resumes working Phillip.

Elizabeth is taking control of this operation. Whether Gabriel confided in her beforehand or not, she read the play and took control. She is the layer between her family and the Directorate, and S4 will open similarly to S1, with Phillip battling back pangs of disloyalty right as he will be further pushed to pursue information about Afghanistan through Kimmy.
    steph_bhypergenesb
  • Very interesting theory, @JayInMemphis
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    @JayInMemphis Well that has made me think. Interesting.
    I'm not buying it Jay, but if that was the plan, it failed. Paige is not moved in the least. I maintain that the whole idea of, we're going to take these kids who have been raised American in American schools and turn them into Russian spies to be dubious at best. Especially strong willed kid like Paige. The Resident program is brilliant but you can't have your cake and eat it too. 
    steph_b
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited April 2015
    My take on the reunion scene is that, despite what Elizabeth has said -- or perhaps, the subtext was, her mother not hesitating to send her away hurt Elizabeth.  (This is mirrored when Paige asks Elizabeth is she would do that to her and Elizabeth evades the question.) Then Elizabeth's mother does nothing to indicate regret on her part ("the stakes were high" but also, Elizabeth had to make up for the shame of her father's desertion).

Elizabeth pushing down those feelings and not opening up to Philip is classic Elizabeth.  She would be furious at The Centre if they tried to pull one over on her.  She lost it when Claudia crossed the line, and I don't see her keeping something like a fake mother from Philip. Toying with Elizabeth's need to see her dying mother and Paige connecting with real family would not go over well with Elizabeth at all.

Finally, the show doesn't play tricks like that on the viewer.  
    hypergenesbsteph_bksa1001
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I listened to the Slate podcast with the producers and cast and that is definitely Elizabeth's mom.
    steph_b