Avengers Endgame - Full Spoiler discussion

1235»

Comments

• Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    And remember RDJ wanted out. So he had to die. 
  • I am a casual Marvel fan at most. I've seen most (all maybe? At least all the good ones) of the movies, but most only once and I've never read the comics. 

I thought Endgame was fine now that I've finally watched it. It felt incredibly crammed and rushed to me, despite the 3 hour runtime, and it occasionally felt like i was watching a movie that I'd missed like 10 minutes of with how much it was jumping between plots. I also didn't love that the ending was basically the same as the end of infinity war, except Thanos loses this time. 

There were some fantastic scenes though. Cap picking up the hammer. Thor's "I'm still worthy." Black Widow doing her level best to keep shit together when no one else seems to be interested in taking Cap's old job. I am pretty excited to see where they go now with most of the tentpole heroes from the OG avengers gone. 
    rkcrawfDoubleA_Ron
  • edited June 2019
    asmallcat said:
    I am a casual Marvel fan at most. I've seen most (all maybe? At least all the good ones) of the movies, but most only once and I've never read the comics. 

I thought Endgame was fine now that I've finally watched it. It felt incredibly crammed and rushed to me, despite the 3 hour runtime, and it occasionally felt like i was watching a movie that I'd missed like 10 minutes of with how much it was jumping between plots. I also didn't love that the ending was basically the same as the end of infinity war, except Thanos loses this time. 

There were some fantastic scenes though. Cap picking up the hammer. Thor's "I'm still worthy." Black Widow doing her level best to keep shit together when no one else seems to be interested in taking Cap's old job. I am pretty excited to see where they go now with most of the tentpole heroes from the OG avengers gone. 
    I could watch the last 3rd of Endgame a hundred times and it will never get old.  Cap wielding Mjolnir is easily top 3 most badass scenes in any Superhero movie.  And I second what you said at the end.  I'm excited and slightly nervous to see where the MCU goes from here.  This was basically the end of what they are calling "the infinity saga." 
    rhcoop
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    awookiee said:
    asmallcat said:
    I am a casual Marvel fan at most. I've seen most (all maybe? At least all the good ones) of the movies, but most only once and I've never read the comics. 

I could watch the last 3rd of Endgame a hundred times and it will never get old.  Cap wielding Mjolnir is easily top 3 most badass scenes in any Superhero movie.  And I second what you said at the end.  I'm excited and slightly nervous to see where the MCU goes from here.  This was basically the end of what they are calling "the infinity saga." 
    I suspect we will see either a recast Cap or an older Cap in about 10 years or so.  They can recast Iron Man and explain it as a different Tony from another timeline/universe. Hemsworth and Thor are still around. 

I just don't think the second tier characters will drive the movies like the original group did.  I may be wrong, but it's never worked in the comics for any appreciable amount of time, there is a reason why those 3 characters are Marvel's trinity in terms of the Avengers side of the comic universe. 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    We do know there’s a Black Widow movie currently filming, though Disney hasn’t released their Marvel phase 4 plan yet. I am all in!
  • Isn't Falcon for sure going to become Captain America and Rhodey is probably the new Iron Man, no?  
  • edited June 2019
    rhcoop said:
    awookiee said:
    asmallcat said:

I suspect we will see either a recast Cap or an older Cap in about 10 years or so.  They can recast Iron Man and explain it as a different Tony from another timeline/universe. Hemsworth and Thor are still around. 

I just don't think the second tier characters will drive the movies like the original group did.  I may be wrong, but it's never worked in the comics for any appreciable amount of time, there is a reason why those 3 characters are Marvel's trinity in terms of the Avengers side of the comic universe. 
    I haven't read any of the comics but I don't think they'll have another Iron Man in the future unless it's something like the kid from Iron Man 3 taking up the realm of it.  Clearly with the end of this Falcon is going to carry on the Captain America legacy and maybe he gets his own movie but I think he'll more just be a part of other movies.  Thor will carry on with the Guardians (Asguardians) of the Galaxy which I'm really looking forward to.  The Guardians movies have been high on my list of MCU movies just because of how comical they are and how well the cast works.  And yes @Teresa from Concord from my understanding the Black Widow movie is likely to be a prequel movie.  I'm not sure how else they would pull it off other than it being a prequel given the events of Endgame.  I'm extremely excited to see where they go.  While I don't have anywhere near the affection for Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel or anyone else as I did for Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man, I think the future of the MCU is going to be interesting.  
    Isn't Falcon for sure going to become Captain America and Rhodey is probably the new Iron Man, no?  
    They are doing a falcon/winter soldier show on Disney+.  

I just don't see Anthony Mackie (or the winter soldier actor for that matter) carrying a Cap movie.  I just don't think it will work, but that is my opinion.

Both Falcon and Winter Soldier/Bucky bombed out pretty quickly in the comics when they tried to pass the mantle and Cap was back pretty quickly.  Bucky as Cap did a bit better than falcon, but most fans got over Bucky's story and the sub-plot of Steve returning was going in the background to keep fans happy until it happend.

I just anticipate the same thing happening in the movies.  My nephew is 10 and said he isn't very excited about a Cap movie without Cap.  That's obviously anecdotal, but I don't think it's a crazy out of left field opinion. 
    awookiee
  • And remember RDJ wanted out. So he had to die. 
    I was looking for in-movie explanations to that "endgame" sequence, as I think the actor wanting out is a crappy reason to make a plot decision. He had a wife and family and could have just retired. Having him put on the gauntlet didn't ruin the movie for me. I just thought it didn't make sense for someone else to try wearing it.

• Isn't Falcon for sure going to become Captain America and Rhodey is probably the new Iron Man, no?  
    I...can't see that working. Falcon will always be Robin to Cap's Batman, and no one is betting a multi-million franchise on Anthony Mackie as a headliner. And I love Don Cheadle, but a) he might be too old b) I don't think James Rhodes is the character people want to see. 

Someone up above said it. It's not the hero...it's the character. People are going to want a new Tony Stark at some point. Rhodey isn't going to cut it. 
    rhcoop
    rkcrawf said:

Isn't Falcon for sure going to become Captain America and Rhodey is probably the new Iron Man, no?  
    I...can't see that working. Falcon will always be Robin to Cap's Batman, and no one is betting a multi-million franchise on Anthony Mackie as a headliner. And I love Don Cheadle, but a) he might be too old b) I don't think James Rhodes is the character people want to see. 

Someone up above said it. It's not the hero...it's the character. People are going to want a new Tony Stark at some point. Rhodey isn't going to cut it. 
    That is my point exactly with Cap and IM. 
  • @rhcoop I think that the same problem that X-men faced (and didn't really solve). They did half a reboot, which left them with multiple time lines, and having to place a lot of star power on the wrong characters. Luckily, the MCU has a big staple of characters and is getting the X-men back, so that could help. If I am MCU, I announce new X-men casting as in progress tomorrow!! 

It's going to be odd with the Avengers though. Do you have some other actor playing alt-Steve Rodgers playing alongside of Hemsworth and Spider-Man? That makes my brain hurt. Or do you role with Captain Falcon until a full reboot is ready. James Bond provides a model for it, I guess, but I could never follow that continuity either. 
    rkcrawf said:
    @rhcoop I think that the same problem that X-men faced (and didn't really solve). They did half a reboot, which left them with multiple time lines, and having to place a lot of star power on the wrong characters. Luckily, the MCU has a big staple of characters and is getting the X-men back, so that could help. If I am MCU, I announce new X-men casting as in progress tomorrow!! 

It's going to be odd with the Avengers though. Do you have some other actor playing alt-Steve Rodgers playing alongside of Hemsworth and Spider-Man? That makes my brain hurt. Or do you role with Captain Falcon until a full reboot is ready. James Bond provides a model for it, I guess, but I could never follow that continuity either. 
    If I were running the MCU I would do FF first so you can get Dr. Doom, Galactus and the Silver Surfer into the MCU.  They need a new big bad that they don't actually kill in the first movie they appear in and Dr. Doom is really their best villain in the comics.  

I'd then recast Wolverine and start planning the x-men entering the MCU.  I don't know if I would go with the OG lineup or just jump to the new class from Giant Size X-Men 1 that introduced Wolverine, Colossus, Storm and Nightcrawler.  That team included a lot of the original ones so I'd probably go that way.

One I had that done, I'd see how successful Evans has really been during this time.  I'd offer him some money to come back for a multi-picture deal (remember, cap can be plucked from any point in the past so its ok if he is older) and if he balks, I recast.  

People have accepted multiple Batmans and Supermans, they'll get over the shock with Wolverine being recast and then they'll get over it w/Cap.

I'd recast IM at this point and you can always say Tony had a cloned younger body ready as a contingency and Spider-man finally found the files about this.  That's literally been done once or twice already in the comics.  
    rkcrawf
  • Per Jim & A.Ron, Stephen Dorff = Wolverine.  Make it happen, MCU.

Also love the idea of establishing Doom as the new big bad.  His presence (along with Galactus, SS, Tribunal, etc) was missed from this version of Infinity War, IMO.
    rhcoop