The Silence (Netflix)

lengmolengmo RTP, NC

I went in with low expectations, which may have helped, but I found it surprisingly well done.  The show makes the most of its tiny budget and solid cast.  Characters don't do stupid things, which was a relief after Black Summer.  The creature design was good.  I do have one quibble with the movie but even that part had a satisfying resolution.

Comments

• It's on my "watch list". Seems like A Quiet Place stole the plot of the book this was based on.
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    I liked A Quiet Place but I think The Silence is better in a number of ways.  I think people will prefer one or the other more depending on their preferences.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    lengmo said:

I went in with low expectations, which may have helped, but I found it surprisingly well done.  The show makes the most of its tiny budget and solid cast.  Characters don't do stupid things, which was a relief after Black Summer.  The creature design was good.  I do have one quibble with the movie but even that part had a satisfying resolution.

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i couldn't even finish this. thought it was a janky Quiet Place (even tho it's based off a book before Quiet Place <shout out @telephoneofmadness for that knowledge>). i wasn't the biggest fan of a Quiet Place, it was fine, but alot of eye-rolling for me. so when i see a flick that makes me think it's The Asylum's version of a Quiet Place, that's not good.
  • AnominalAnominal San Francisco Bay Area
    It started out good, and I thought the villains were interesting at first, but it they went too far with them for my liking considering the quality of the rest of the movie before they ramped up the weird.

(It's too bad to hear Black Summer has characters making bad decisions, I've only seen the first episode and it seemed interesting.)
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Anominal said:
    It started out good, and I thought the villains were interesting at first, but it they went too far with them for my liking considering the quality of the rest of the movie before they ramped up the weird.
    I didn't care for them either (though the resolution of their story was satisfying) but found they didn't ruin the movie for me. 

Chinaski said:
    i couldn't even finish this. [...] i wasn't the biggest fan of a Quiet Place, it was fine, but alot of eye-rolling for me. so when i see a flick that makes me think it's The Asylum's version of a Quiet Place, that's not good.
    Or you just don't like this tiny subgenre, NBD.  One of the reasons I prefer The Silence is precisely because it is less over the top: the monsters don't have completely impossible super alien hearing, they just have very good hearing, for ex.