Marvel Writing Question

I was wondering how/who was the main writer for this movie series. I’d love to see the thought process going into writing the main arc for the series (saga? epic?) Did they have 3 major plot points they needed to hit? I can’t imagine they made it up as they went along, other than using the source material) 

it would just be interesting to see if they knew the how this was going to end when writing Iron Man.

Comments

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    gguenot said:
    I was wondering how/who was the main writer for this movie series. I’d love to see the thought process going into writing the main arc for the series (saga? epic?) Did they have 3 major plot points they needed to hit? I can’t imagine they made it up as they went along, other than using the source material) 

it would just be interesting to see if they knew the how this was going to end when writing Iron Man.

G-UNIT!

they don’t have a single writer but they have a single power. Kevin Feige. Everything needs to go through him and be approved by him. and I’m sure he has a team that helps him but ultimately he’s the power. 

Which is why Star Wars is so disappointing. They did the same thing and put Kathleen Kennedy in charge but she didn’t follow the Kevin Feige model and the story got fucked up by giving too much power to the directors and writers for each movie. 

I mean Kevin Feige was able to take 22 movies and keep them cohesive and on point. Kathleen Kennedy couldn’t even do that with 2 movies...

gguenotAnominal
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    I also think that John Faverau was given some love for him kicking off the whole thing. Thus his pizza scene at the end of Endgame. 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I wondered about the pizza scene. Sensed it has deeper meaning but didn’t get it. 
  • AnominalAnominal San Francisco Bay Area
    edited April 30
    The director's for Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America are all in the movie. The Ragnarok director is the rock guy roommate. And one of the Russo Brothers was the guy talking in the help group. 
  • Hatorian said:

they don’t have a single writer but they have a single power. Kevin Feige. Everything needs to go through him and be approved by him. and I’m sure he has a team that helps him but ultimately he’s the power. 

Which is why Star Wars is so disappointing. They did the same thing and put Kathleen Kennedy in charge but she didn’t follow the Kevin Feige model and the story got fucked up by giving too much power to the directors and writers for each movie. 

I mean Kevin Feige was able to take 22 movies and keep them cohesive and on point. Kathleen Kennedy couldn’t even do that with 2 movies...
    I may be wrong, but I rarely see writers as being critical to the film-making process, compared to directors.  On that note, it's kind of interesting to see how Feige's reputation for "stifling" the creativity of Marvel's directors has been perceived, over time.  Not very long ago, it was easy to find industry articles criticizing his approach or at least questioning its long-term efficacy.  That criticism seems to have all been silenced now, of course.  I, too, find it surprising that Disney, in handling the Star Wars franchise, gave so much creative license to their directors when, at least in terms of an ongoing franchise, the director seems less important than ever.
  • As others have said there's been many different writers throughout the MCU, but for my money the key ones are Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely. They wrote the Captain America trilogy and since Winter Soldier it seemed like the MCU started to move in the overall direction that the Cap movies headed and before you know it they were tapped to write Infinity War and Endgame. So essentially it feels like they're THE writers.
    rhcoop
  • AnominalAnominal San Francisco Bay Area
    edited May 1
    @ken hale

I am pretty sure you're wrong about the writers bit. I see plenty of writers complaining. But it's also usually never heard or talked about because they don't have much power, and plenty of movies end up having scripts passed through several writers, so while a movie have one writing credit, it was actually written and rewritten by several more. (Rogue One is pretty well known for all kinds of rewrites even after shooting began resulting in a lot of the trailer not being in the movie.) Joss Whedon is a pretty common script doctor these days. He also wrote the original Buffy movie and hated it. Which motivated him to do the TV show. He wrote Alien: Resurrection and basically cried at the premiere when he saw what they did with it.

"Casting is storytelling, I wrote two characters for Alien: Resurrectionand their arc was that you would not know what way they were going to go. One of them turned out to be insane - and what do they do? They call Brad Dourif. So there is no plot twist. Brad is a very good actor but he has been pigeonholed into these roles. Then they cast J.E. Freeman as a thug - and his character was also supposed to be a mystery. So there you go again - the mystery is gone. Those are just a couple of examples because there are thousands of them when it comes to Alien: Resurrection."

If you rewatch the movie and imagine the words spoken by different characters, rather than a cartoonish mad scientist, a goofball military guy, etc and instead with serious acting, it's actually had a lot of potential.

With that said, there is a reason that the Showrunner is king in the TV world, rather than the Director like in movies. They keep the big picture in mind and make sure it all fits. Kevin Feige is basically a movie Showrunner because the nature of cinematic universe requires that kind of coordination.

But he's also built up an interesting environment and comrade among the directors. Some Infinity War bonus features has a 7 MCU directors roundtable, and I *think* Feige had more of an iron grip before, but now that everyone understands what's going on, the other directors are often going to each other for advice. They have to with things like the ending of Ragnarok heading straight to Infinity War. With the Black Panther look and feel of Wakanda never having been seen before by anyone, so the Russos had to visit the Black Panther director. The Guardians director was called to appear on set or give advice on how to write Peter Quill. The Ragnarok director was nervous about his script and asked Joss for help, and Joss was basically like, "It's pretty good, but go put more of yourself in it. It'll work. They don't hire us *just* to follow Feige's vision, but because they want our viewpoints to come across as well."
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    As others have said there's been many different writers throughout the MCU, but for my money the key ones are Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely. They wrote the Captain America trilogy and since Winter Soldier it seemed like the MCU started to move in the overall direction that the Cap movies headed and before you know it they were tapped to write Infinity War and Endgame. So essentially it feels like they're THE writers.
    Exactly, that's why I only really care about the movies Cap is in.  All of those are the ones that really matter to the overall story. 

People can have fun with the other ones, but if you want to watch the main MCU story in, let's say, a groundhog day type marathon setting, I would just stick to all the MCU movies with Cap and maybe IM one. 

Additionally, that is why I think Cap will be back sooner rather than later whether that is Evans returning or them recasting the character.  He keeps the story going. 
    hisdudeness915Aww_PHuuCk