Your Top Comedy Movies Of All Time

HatorianHatorian Dagobah
edited April 2015 in Movies
Comedy movies are kind of hard to podcast on and I know the guys mentioned they don't do comedy movies and TV usually. Big lebowski seems to be the only exception. So I wanted to ask what's your favourite comedy movies? List as many as you want and elaborate as you please.. I originally thought 3 and it was too hard, then I said 5 and it was still too hard . Then I though by genre and it still was too hard. So I just created a mixed list. numbers are not rankings.

1. Dumb and Dumber (favourite General comedy)
2. Harold and Kumar (favourite stoner comedy)
3. Tropic Thunder/Spaceballs (favourite satirical comedy)
4. 21 jump street (favourite high school comedy)
5. Bridesmaids/Ghostbusters/Hangover (favourite ensemble comedy)
6. Monty Pyton holy grail (favourite classic comedy)
7. I love you man (favourite dramedy)
8. Eurotrip (guilty pleasure comedy)
9. Lego Movie (favourite animated comedy)
10. Shaun of the dead (favourite horror comedy)

Comments

• JayInMemphisJayInMemphis Memphis, TN
    @Hatorian From that list, Tropic Thunder, Bridesmaids, and Shaun of the Dead jump out to me.

For my part, I don't know if I have a bunch of specific answers to specific sub genres of comedy, although I see what you mean about it being hard to compare across styles. Another problem in my mind is that comedies typically don't age very well, so it can be a matter of preference as to what type of joke you think holds up.

Rather than zero in on classification, here are a couple that I think are very intricate and well constructed -- the type of movie I will watch if I suddenly catch it, and find something new or some forgotten detail to laugh at:

Airplane! (Even with some of the references outdated, the script is killer)
    Coming to America (Fast paced, full of outlandish archetypal characters. Nothing beats the barbershop scenes)
    Blazing Saddles (Mel Brooks' best script. If anything can get a pass for being funny despite jokes that could never be done now, it starts with Blazing Saddles)
    A Fish Called Wanda ("Asshole!" )
    Trading Places (Callous billionaire brothers treating people inhumanely? Far-fetched, but well executed)
    Three Amigos (Funny cast/gags, music from Randy Newman and cameos like Phil Hartmann help - and maybe it struck me at the right age)
    HatorianAntManBee
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Young Frankenstein, 
    Waiting for Guffman, 
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail,
     Galaxy Quest,
     This is Spinal Tap
    Blazing Saddles
     Dumb and dumber,
     Annie Hall, 
    Hot Fuzz
    Shaun of the Dead,
     Airplane!,
     Swingers
     Some Like it Hot
    Bridesmaids,
     Zoolander. 
    steph_bHatorianghm3AntManBeeTravisThe_Third_Man
  • @Hatorian From that list, Tropic Thunder, Bridesmaids, and Shaun of the Dead jump out to me.

For my part, I don't know if I have a bunch of specific answers to specific sub genres of comedy, although I see what you mean about it being hard to compare across styles. Another problem in my mind is that comedies typically don't age very well, so it can be a matter of preference as to what type of joke you think holds up.

Rather than zero in on classification, here are a couple that I think are very intricate and well constructed -- the type of movie I will watch if I suddenly catch it, and find something new or some forgotten detail to laugh at:

Airplane! (Even with some of the references outdated, the script is killer)
    Coming to America (Fast paced, full of outlandish archetypal characters. Nothing beats the barbershop scenes)
    Blazing Saddles (Mel Brooks' best script. If anything can get a pass for being funny despite jokes that could never be done now, it starts with Blazing Saddles)
    A Fish Called Wanda ("Asshole!" )
    Trading Places (Callous billionaire brothers treating people inhumanely? Far-fetched, but well executed)
    Three Amigos (Funny cast/gags, music from Randy Newman and cameos like Phil Hartmann help - and maybe it struck me at the right age)

Excellent point on comedies not Aging well. I noticed my list was very 2000s heavy. And that's probably why
  • Caddy Shack, Stripes, Ghostbusters
    AntManBeeTaraC73Hatorianhypergenesb
  • @steph_b

hmm. they all have one thing in common but I can't think of what it is.... :)
    steph_b
  • He's my favorite. And the 80s was the peak of comedy IMO.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Had to make sure Young Frankenstein got mentioned, because that movie still makes me laugh pretty hard, and Teri Garr and Madeline Kahn are at the top of their game.  Funniest movie I've seen in the past 5 years or so is MacGruber. But then I have a fairly weird sense of humor. 
    steph_b
  • aberry89 said:

Young Frankenstein, 

Waiting for Guffman, 
     Galaxy Quest,
     This is Spinal Tap
    Blazing Saddles
     Dumb and dumber,
     Annie Hall, 
    Hot Fuzz
    Shaun of the Dead,
     Airplane!,
     Swingers
     Some Like it Hot
    Bridesmaids,
     Zoolander. 
    @aberry89 I agree with pretty much everything on this list that I've seen (all but 3-4). I'll add:

Wedding Crashers
    Idiocracy
    The Big Lebowski
    Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
    Office Space
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    Hatorian
  • Here are my favorites that have not yet been mentioned:

Dr. Strangelove
    Sleeper
    A Night at the Opera
    The Cable Guy
    Groundhog Day
    Fido
    The Money Pit
    Coffee & Cigarettes
    Johnny Stecchino
    HatorianTravis
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I love almost everything mentioned. The two that make me bust a gut laughing are hangover 1&2. Epic buddy comedies.
    Hatorian
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    A couple that haven't been mentioned are When Harry Met Sally and Best In Show.  I still howl with laughter at the parody of When Harry Met Sally and yuppie culture: 

"We met at Starbucks. Not at the same Starbucks, but we saw each other at different Starbucks across the street from each other."

"Working on my Mac."

"And I had my Mac."

"And I look over and she's reading J.Crew."

steph_b
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited April 2015
    1. Run Ronnie Run (David Cross's best work)
    2. Pootie Tang ("I'm going to sine your pitty on the runny kine!")
    3. The Great White Hype (crazy underrated; still blows me away how many people don't know about this movie. every inch of awesome is squeezed out of every cast member; no one phones it in)
    4. Raising Arizona (probably the first comedy that I really loved)
    5. Ghostbusters ("I agree, this man has no dick")
    6. Air America (another criminally underrated and unknown movie. up there with Tequila Sunrise in terms of Mel Gibson movies)
    7. The Grand (whoever is reading this, I already know you haven't seen The Grand. stop what you're doing and go watch it; you'll thank me later)
    8. Tropic Thunder (this movie is a weird one for me. I love it and think it's hilarious, but it's one of those rare comedies that actually has more unfunny jokes than funny ones and still manages to be great.)
    9. My Cousin Vinny (only watch it maybe once every few years, but it gets funnier every time)

and last but not least

10. Kingpin (another one of those rare comedies with a lot of unfunny jokes, but is still hilarious from start to finish)

HatorianTravis
  • ghm3 said:

aberry89 said:

Young Frankenstein, 

Waiting for Guffman, 
     Galaxy Quest,
     This is Spinal Tap
    Blazing Saddles
     Dumb and dumber,
     Annie Hall, 
    Hot Fuzz
    Shaun of the Dead,
     Airplane!,
     Swingers
     Some Like it Hot
    Bridesmaids,
     Zoolander. 
    @aberry89 I agree with pretty much everything on this list that I've seen (all but 3-4). I'll add:

Wedding Crashers
    Idiocracy
    The Big Lebowski
    Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
    Office Space
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Tucker and Dale vs Evil is severely underrated. i was surprised how much I enjoyed it.
    Freddy
  • Im gonna throw ones out i havent seen on this thread

Clifford(Martin Short)
    The Man Who Knew Too Little
    Drowning Mona
    Road Trip
    Screwed
    Life of Brian
    Outside Providence
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited April 2015
    Hell yeah, Clifford like a motherfucker! I was just telling someone about Clifford last night. The second I said Martin Short plays a 10 year old, my buddy blurted out "you've got to be shitting me..."
    [Deleted User]
  • How about a shout out to Steve Carell and 40 Year Old Virgin and Date Night (the scene with Mila Kunis and James Franco makes me laugh just to think about it).  
    TaraC73
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    edited April 2015
    Wow...I'm amazed that nearly every Farrelly Brothers movie was mentioned BUT.....

There's Something About Mary

I've never heard a theatre ERUPT! with laughter like I have with that film.

Mary and Coming to America are my gold standard for comedy.

Add to that list 

Dumb and Dumber
    Tropic Thunder
    Office Space
    Scary Movie
    Clerks
    Ace Ventura
    The 40 Year Old Virgin
    Grosse Pointe Blank
    Ghostbusters
    Hatorian
  • Some of the screw ball comedies of the 30s and 40s top my list.
    Arsenic and Old Lace
    Bringing Up Baby etc.
    I love that stuff
    Then I also have to admit that I thought Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly were awesome in Ricky Bobby. I still want to make a t-shirt that says "I like my Jesus to party"
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    edited April 2015
    @MarkP - the chest waxing scene is one of my top 5 hilarious movie moments. I can watch that scene over and over again and pee myself laughing every single time.
    MarkP
  • edited April 2015
    ksa1001 said:

Wow...I'm amazed that nearly every Farrelly Brothers movie was mentioned BUT.....

There's Something About Mary

I've never heard a theatre ERUPT! with laughter like I have with that film.

So true. I'll never forget seeing that in the theater. The entire place went into a laughing uproar after Cameron Diaz took the cum off of Ben Stiller's chin and put it in her hair. You wouldn't have been able to hear the entire next scene.
    @AntManBee ;

EXACTLY!

No clue what was said after that scene until a Blockbuster rental months later.
    AntManBee
    @Freddy

I always loved the Great White Hype. I remember working at the movie theatres when it came and went without much notice. Great takedown of boxing and it's waning popularity and the stunts they pull. They pinpoint why this upcoming mayweather v. pacquiao fight is the first must see fight in quite awhile.

fav line = "I can beat him and my meat at the same time"
    Freddy
    Oh, how could I forget one of my favorite all-time movies, The Royal Tenenbaums?  And also Mean Girls, which a co-worker and I would obnoxiously quote back and forth ad nauseam.
    Travissteph_b
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited April 2015

Oh, how could I forget one of my favorite all-time movies, The Royal Tenenbaums?  And also Mean Girls, which a co-worker and I would obnoxiously quote back and forth ad nauseam.

Great call. For some reason I never think of The Royal Tenenbaums as a comedy, but it totally is. Top 5 all-time movie for me. It's kind of like Annie Hall. It's a comedy, but it's so good and so well rounded that it feels like it doesn't belong to a genre. That probably sounds really pretentious, but it's just kind of how my head works. Also, great call on Best in Show. Amazing flick.

@Jovial_Falcon great call on the Man Who Knew Too Little. That movie is totally good. Outside Providence was great too. I haven't seen that one in years.

Wet Hot American Summer is the funniest movie I've ever seen.

There are a lot of good ones, but How High is definitely my favorite stoner comedy of all time. #1 with a bullet.

L.A. Story is another top 10 all-time movie for me.

@Freddy Pootie Tang! Great call, totally forgot about that one.

@AntManBee Hell yeah Groundhog Day!

AntManBeepavlovsbell
  • Best in Show and Waiting for Guffman make me pee my pants from laughing so hard. As does Spinal Tap.
    Travispavlovsbell
    "We were so lucky to have been raised amongst catalogs."
    steph_bTravis
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    @Freddy I haven't laughed as hard as the first time I saw the "Pootie Tang has done it again" Montage

My Personal favourites are

SuperTroopers
    Anchorman
    BASEketball
    Coming to America
    Office Space
    The Castle
    The Dish
    HatorianTravisFreddy
  • @davemcb BASEketball in general is one of the best movies ever. I never knew for a long time that the Airplane! guys did that movie. Makes sense for all the people in it.

But man... that movie will never old. Still makes me giggle like a lil kid every time I watch it

• @davemcb BASEketball in general is one of the best movies ever. I never knew for a long time that the Airplane! guys did that movie. Makes sense for all the people in it.

But man... that movie will never old. Still makes me giggle like a lil kid every time I watch it

Warts on Your Dick is probably my favorite music gag in any movie.

Also reminds me of Cannibal the Musical which is quite fantastic as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xKl0e8jALY

[Deleted User]davemcb
    Having grown up on (and scared of) "Unsolved Mysterys" I always liked the random Robert Stack appearance in BASEketball.
    Travis
This discussion has been closed.