(Spoiler s8e4) Please explain to me what Cersei was thinking during the last scene?

edited May 6 in Game of Thrones
I’ve been following this Podcast for mainly Game Of Thrones and love the insight that Jim and A.Ron brings into the show.

Now my good sirs, please explain to me the title.

Why did Cersei not order her archers/ dragon killing bow to fire on Daenerys’s army and her dragon? It was so out of character, Cersei does not care about any ethical dilemma and killing Daenerys and her generals or specially her dragons should’ve been considered as a winning political move... who can avenge Daenerys? Jon and his battered soldiers?

The dragon was grounded, they had numerous big bows that can take it down and we now that one good hit from it can kill a dragon. Cersei is in no direct danger, Daenerys doesn’t not have any long range weapon and no way in hell that the dragons fire breath can reach Cersei, considering that the dragon can be killed before it can even blink it’s eyes...

The last two episodes are so questionable, that it makes me sad to think that this is how this series will end.

ken hale

Comments

• I also find it pretty ridiculous that Cersei didn't immediately have Tyrion killed. She was trying to kill him before, and now they are in direct war with each other. It doesn't make sense. 
    ken haletelephoneofmadness
  • She still has some of her father in her. Danny’s forces would have killed Qiburn and it would have been bad for morale if Cerci’s allies would have seen her sacrifice one of her men during negotiation talks. 
    TacosAndHaircut
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Gan said:
    I also find it pretty ridiculous that Cersei didn't immediately have Tyrion killed. She was trying to kill him before, and now they are in direct war with each other. It doesn't make sense. 
    I am worried Cersei will kill Tyrion by the end of this. This is the second time she has imminent death pointed right at him and can't pull the trigger. I worry about the rule of threes. This will somehow manifest again and third time is a charm and she'll end him.
    SanguinePenguintelephoneofmadness
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    Because she WANTS Dany to storm the city so that she looks like the better option as ruler. Cersei is way better at the political game than Dany and she’s about to prove it if Dany storms the city and kills innocents. 
    SanguinePenguinKate23cdrive
  • Gan said:
    I also find it pretty ridiculous that Cersei didn't immediately have Tyrion killed. She was trying to kill him before, and now they are in direct war with each other. It doesn't make sense. 
    I am worried Cersei will kill Tyrion by the end of this. This is the second time she has imminent death pointed right at him and can't pull the trigger. I worry about the rule of threes. This will somehow manifest again and third time is a charm and she'll end him.
    Because she WANTS Dany to storm the city so that she looks like the better option as ruler. Cersei is way better at the political game than Dany and she’s about to prove it if Dany storms the city and kills innocents. 
    Cersei isn't a reasonable or a smart person. She wanted Tyrion killed even knowing in her heart that Tyrion was not responsible for Joff's death. That she would suddenly allow Tyrion to go unharmed when she herself is not in any immediate danger of being harmed doesn't align with her past motivations. 
    I mean, Tyrion should be dead after that bonehead move. And how can he even say that she is not a monster? She murdered damn near every non-commoner in a holy cathedral. If that ain’t monster, I dunno what is. 
    GanSanguinePenguinKate23CeciliaM
  • Like I said, it makes no sense why she didn't have him killed immediately. It's a fucking war for gods sake. 

P.S. I don't want Tyrion killed, I just want consistency in this show. 
    Consistency? I hit you with this: got it from the Bald Move twitter feed 

https://mobile.twitter.com/baldmove/status/1125161606483255296
    GanRenaisWomnken haletelephoneofmadness
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited May 6
    Consistency? I hit you with this: got it from the Bald Move twitter feed 

https://mobile.twitter.com/baldmove/status/1125161606483255296
    lol god, there are some angry fans salty at A.Ron in the replies to that. I don't know. I like to discuss the unrealistic nature of some of the plot that gets the story beats from A to B, but I guess I don't let it bother me to the point that it ruins my enjoyment of the show.

I also don't begrudge the negative emotions from the people who do allow these things to shit on their enjoyment of the show. It's obvious that the show broke for people like A.Ron in episode 3 (1 episode after what many consider to be one of the best GOT episodes ever), and that there really isn't much the show can do for a viewer after it breaks for them no matter what actually happens in the episode. After that it's "HOW ARE THERE THAT MANY SOLDIERS LEFT, WAS EURONS FLEET HIDING BEHIND THE WORLDS TALLEST ROCK, AND WHERE DID THAT COFFEE CUP COME FROM???"

People can't help how they feel.
    rkcrawfawookieemajjam0770ken haleBloodyTaco
  • Weapon ranges. I gathered that Dany and her entourage were out of range of the archers, and that Dany parked Drogon back out of range of the dragon-killing scorpions.

Cersei certainly could have unleashed the archers on Tyrion, but she acts as if she can’t quite bring herself to do it. She probably thinks she knows him well enough to keep outsmarting him if he remains Dany’s Hand. Like when he went to Casterly Rock, and the Lannisters took Highgarden. Or when she let him go in the finale last season—he fell for her ruse about sending her army north, and gave her time for Euron to bring the Golden Company and Qyburn to build all the scorpions.

Maybe she could order the scorpions to aim towards Dany, but probably not a high chance of hitting her, and then you could get roasted while reloading/re-targeting Drogon.
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    Gan said:

I was 90% sure that was it for Tyrion. I thought he was going to end up looking like the Viking from the opening scene of American Gods landing in the Americas...

telephoneofmadness
  • edited May 6
    Cersei is actually dead, and Arya is just wearing her face to fuck with everyone. It's the only thing that makes sense.
    ken haleblacksunrise7
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    Can't a dragon clear its own path?  I mean...that fire is hot enough to just do a direct assault on a bunch of ships or Cersei...blasting fire ahead of it to stop/melt any arrows coming its way and light up anything it wants.

Sure, it may not completely incinerate a big missile arrow but it should melt it enough to be ineffectual.
    BroRad33
  • DrKen said:
    Can't a dragon clear its own path?  I mean...that fire is hot enough to just do a direct assault on a bunch of ships or Cersei...blasting fire ahead of it to stop/melt any arrows coming its way and light up anything it wants.

Sure, it may not completely incinerate a big missile arrow but it should melt it enough to be ineffectual.
    There's likely a reaction time / eyesight complexity there. 
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    rkcrawf said:
    DrKen said:

Can't they just go in blasting on a dive bomb approach?
  • DrKen said:
    rkcrawf said:
    DrKen said:

Can't they just go in blasting on a dive bomb approach?
    I don't know how high a dragon can fly vs the angle of the ballistas. I would think that would work, if she knew what a dive bomb approach was (I don't think there's a medieval example for her to get the idea). Surprise factor and  fear of losing her last child kicks in, and she just wanted to get him out of there. I can hand-wave that away...

FWIW, I just assumed that Drogon was sitting out of range for the ballistas during the parlay. Dany needs to do a night-time strike. There a dive bomb approach should work.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I feel like that steel bolt is flying through the air a little too fast for Drogon to be able to blast it into ineffectiveness. If anything, he would just heat it up a little so it enters his skin even easier.
    telephoneofmadness
  • On second thought dive-bombing while breathing fire might not work. Blowback 
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    rkcrawf said:
    On second thought dive-bombing while breathing fire might not work. Blowback 
    True.

I've experienced as much when I start to tell a story after some good, fresh garlic bread.
  • The short answer for your question is because it's a tv show and if Cersei kills everyone then what are they going to fill the last two episodes with ? You hit the nail on the head when you said " it was so out of character" this sentence actually sums up the last two seasons . 
    ken halegjames80
  • I feel like that steel bolt is flying through the air a little too fast for Drogon to be able to blast it into ineffectiveness. If anything, he would just heat it up a little so it enters his skin even easier.
    This 100%.  The Scorpions/Ballista's are firing giant steel bolts, not wood.  There's zero chance that Drogon could breathe fire at it and make any difference in it's trajectory or a chance to heat it up to the point where it's no longer a danger.  
    rkcrawf
  • Cersei was thinking "I choose violence."
    SanguinePenguingjames80
  • She had an opportunity to do that last season at the "summit" in the Dragon Pit. Drogon drops Dany off and flies away. She didn't take it then, and she could have killed Drogon before Dany had a chance to get out of there. But Cersei would probably end up with a pissed off Drogon, and also exposed to physical violence herself. 

From the shot, I think you're supposed to assume Drogon is out of ballista range. Something goes bad, and Drogon comes full force. Maybe the ballistas get him, or maybe he takes a hit and keeps coming. Maybe he does what Dany should have done, and attack from a better angle. A few arrows from Grey Worm and crew, maybe they hits Cersei and maybe he doesn't.

If you have the advantage, there's no reason to risk yourself. Cersei attacking them there would be the equivalent of Ramsey accepting Jon's one-on-one sword challenge. 
  • How can the Super Somehow Magicly Accurate Scorpions on a ship perfectly shoot a dragon moving in the sky a mile away but for an even bigger one on the castle it's out of range a hundred yards away?

Just more inconsistent, dumb writing.
    alexander.klassentelephoneofmadnessken haleSchluppBloodyTaco
  • This where I feel like the criticisms from the fanbase turn into whinging. One could take any movie/show that isn't real, and pick it apart character decisions and motivations. 

Tyrion was closer than a hundred yards, and they could have killed him, but chose not to break the rules of the parley. It had precedent from the summit last season at the dragon pit. This time they chose not to provoke the dragon when they no longer had the element of surprise. 

"Why do the dragons need riders?" Clearly, here the dragon rider was valuable to watch the dragon's six and to help make intelligent decisions (attack, retreat, angle of approach, etc.) 
    "Why doesn't Cersei break the rules of treaty and attack Dany/Tyrion?" 
    "Why doesn't the North pay a faceless man to kill Cersei?" 
    "Why does Arya keep flip-flopping on whether she wants to go home or not?"
    "Why hasn't Varys rebuilt his spy network?"
    "Why doesn't Thanos double the resources of the universe?"
    "Why doesn't the Death Star have a better quality control team reviewing their designs?"
    "Why don't they hyperspace in from different locations so they can attack all sides?"
    "Why didn't Mr. Miyagi just explain to Daniel why he had to wax the car?"

It's not like all of the stuff in the Books makes sense either. 

SanguinePenguingjames80
  • Fundamentally, I think that the answer to all these questions is that the producers of this show are abiding by the maxim, "no one ever lost a penny underestimating the intelligence of the American public." And they're not wrong.

It is sad, though, since one of the things that used to set HBO apart was how it respected the intelligence of its audience. We've come a long way from Sopranos/Deadwood/SFU/The Wire to trash like this and Westworld.
    telephoneofmadnessken hale
  • rkcrawf said:
    This where I feel like the criticisms from the fanbase turn into whinging. One could take any movie/show that isn't real, and pick it apart character decisions and motivations. 

Tyrion was closer than a hundred yards, and they could have killed him, but chose not to break the rules of the parley. It had precedent from the summit last season at the dragon pit. This time they chose not to provoke the dragon when they no longer had the element of surprise. 

"Why do the dragons need riders?" Clearly, here the dragon rider was valuable to watch the dragon's six and to help make intelligent decisions (attack, retreat, angle of approach, etc.) 
    "Why doesn't Cersei break the rules of treaty and attack Dany/Tyrion?" 
    "Why doesn't the North pay a faceless man to kill Cersei?" 
    "Why does Arya keep flip-flopping on whether she wants to go home or not?"
    "Why hasn't Varys rebuilt his spy network?"
    "Why doesn't Thanos double the resources of the universe?"
    "Why doesn't the Death Star have a better quality control team reviewing their designs?"
    "Why don't they hyperspace in from different locations so they can attack all sides?"
    "Why didn't Mr. Miyagi just explain to Daniel why he had to wax the car?"

It's not like all of the stuff in the Books makes sense either. 

Very well put.  I would be lying if I said I wasn't annoyed by lots of the people nitpicking about what is going on.  I am capable and enjoy the show much more not doing those kinds of things and not letting those kinds of things effect my enjoyment of the show.  With that being said there are clearly things happening that are causing people to nit pick more and lose their enjoyment of the show and they have just as much right to complain about it as I have right to praise it. 

The forums here have always been a great place to discuss what's going on and other than a few comments I see the people criticizing the show both for and against as people expressing their opinion in a beneficial way and not attacking others.  I hope that trend continues as we head into the final 2 episodes.  I wish everybody loved the show as much as I do because I really have enjoyed the hell out of every episode this season but everybody has different expectations and different experiences that they take into creating their opinion.  This show is easily the biggest show in terms of fandom and I wouldn't be surprised if there is nothing that eclipses Game of Thrones in my lifetime.  
    JNoJo
  • @letrbuck2006 - The people that are "nitpicking" have a right to do so and I am sorry that something broke the show for them. I'm also not saying the show is perfect. But I can't think of anything else on the air now that is better. Everyone has a right to express a reasonable / polite opinion.

That said, I question whether continuing to pick at a scab does anyone any good.
    gjames80
  • rkcrawf said:
    @letrbuck2006 - The people that are "nitpicking" have a right to do so and I am sorry that something broke the show for them. I'm also not saying the show is perfect. But I can't think of anything else on the air now that is better. Everyone has a right to express a reasonable / polite opinion.

That said, I question whether continuing to pick at a scab does anyone any good.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. Perfect analogy for the situation as well.
    JNoJogjames80
  • I’ve been following this Podcast for mainly Game Of Thrones and love the insight that Jim and A.Ron brings into the show.

Now my good sirs, please explain to me the title.

Why did Cersei not order her archers/ dragon killing bow to fire on Daenerys’s army and her dragon? It was so out of character, Cersei does not care about any ethical dilemma and killing Daenerys and her generals or specially her dragons should’ve been considered as a winning political move... who can avenge Daenerys? Jon and his battered soldiers?

The dragon was grounded, they had numerous big bows that can take it down and we now that one good hit from it can kill a dragon. Cersei is in no direct danger, Daenerys doesn’t not have any long range weapon and no way in hell that the dragons fire breath can reach Cersei, considering that the dragon can be killed before it can even blink it’s eyes...

The last two episodes are so questionable, that it makes me sad to think that this is how this series will end.

I think 1/ because they're following the old fashioned rules of Parlay, i.e. a meeting/negotiation before a battle.  Same as they did before the BOTB.  
    and,
    2/ Cersei wants to provoke Dany into unleashing on KL, ruining her reputation and alienating the small folk she's swearing to protect.  Mission accomplished. 

rkcrawfSanguinePenguingjames80